Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica
What about Something Awful After Dark? Maybe we can hide there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
tHE r H i z z o n E

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Putty posted:

I have a discord but it is only for GOOD GOONS that are MY FRIENDS.

If you are cool and my friend plz message me at Putty#5451 with your SA name, if I don't know u I'm ignorign it!!!

did you block me on discord lol

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Here is my CSPAM discord:

https://discord.gg/MGs4Sr

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

gonna pass thanks dude see you in hell

astronautism
Oct 3, 2002

The Voice of Labor posted:

I’ve already gone places. I just want to stay where I am

That forum you like is going to come back in style

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Computer Serf posted:

yo someone pm me or reply with the deep web fried onion service p2p matrix short wave numbers station with goon characteristics tia

all your base belong to *checks notes* oh gently caress

hey guys wheres the new bases @ :iiam:

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

lol Queen Combat's recent post history is nothing after march until today and then 2 solid pages of shilling their dumb forum with the same cut and paste "horny cspam furries" pitches all over the forums.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
We need an offsite to keep track of the offsites IMO.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
We should do what Neogaf did and have several notable posters make a website that is suppose to be a complete replacement of SomethingAwful.com.

I personally want to start organizing but nobody likes me since I'm a lovely poster with a bad rep.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Dischord is like irc or chat right? I want a forum so I can passively consume shitposting so I guess I'm gonna put my 10bucks where my rear end is and try bnr.

I think the first site to get a phone app probably wins for me

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

SLOSifl posted:

I’m planning on setting up a BBS network where every thread is hosted on its own phone line, so you can just call the thread, log in, post away. Then log off so the next poster can hop on. If you want you can print the thread or even download a midi of the airwolf theme song.

My Compuserve ID is 78119,631 if anyone wants to help. I have an extra modem if someone has an extra line and wants to do the Schadenfreude thread.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

field balm posted:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

field balm posted:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

kas posted:

lol Queen Combat's recent post history is nothing after march until today and then 2 solid pages of shilling their dumb forum with the same cut and paste "horny cspam furries" pitches all over the forums.

queen combat also outed my personal information due to a petty grudge and im still none to happy about it!!!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Queen Combat posted:

http://breadnroses.net

It's been around since January or so, has an establish userbase, was created back during the big simultaneous c-spam and trans goon castoff by the taxman. Varied topics, from C-SPAM style politics, shitposting, queer stuff, furry stuff, games, electronic projects, lets plays, etc.

There's a paywall post-registration, so if you register and don't wanna pay just feel free to DM me here or on discord at queen_combat#7777 for approvals after you reg and we'll push it through, or pay tenbux for immediate access (I'll be up all day).

We've had an 800-person, six-month-long beta test that's gone successfully, it runs xenforo, you can ignore threads and subforums as well as people (completely silent ignoring as well), and has a good backend setup. Also lmao today's registrations have quickly reached parity with lowtax's patreon, so we're set up for the next year or so if you're wondering about funding at all (and that's just the people that have CHOSEN to pay).

Anyway, the big thing is to choose what you like. Not saying bnr is the end-all be-all. But if you're gay/leftist/furry/horny/comfy/classic/pepsi/tormp/angry, maybe give it a look. No invite code needed or any of that.

E: and also nobody is leasing a loving 2020 nissan or pies or any of that poo poo with the funds. nobody paid, all volunteer including the owners.

you suck dude!

AchtungBaby
Dec 5, 2007

Rest in piss Something Awful

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
GBS was the sub I started out on and I had a lot of fun here and even though I eventually grew out of it, it's still gonna be sad to see this place go.
Hope to see those of you who are willing to take the next step over at BnR, looking at the numbers it's likely to be the place most of everyone ends up on after the initial balkanization anyways.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

queen combat also outed my personal information due to a petty grudge and im still none to happy about it!!!

people who post personal information are loving creeps and weirdos

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

We need an offsite to keep track of the offsites IMO.

ill make the wiki

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Will there be an offsite to keep track of the offsites tracking the offsites?

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
10 reasons to post on tHE r H i z z o n E (number 9 will delight you:)

1) You want a place to talk poo poo where jokes are legal and doxxing isn't.

2) You're a leftist with powerful rare skills like "Read Book," "Go Outside," and "Do Something."

3) You have the properly developed social boundaries to not constantly insist on telling everyone how horny you are.

4) Your discerning taste prefers handcrafted, artisanal offsite pitches, written just for you in this very thread.

5) You prefer the stability of a community that has built up a decade of trust, rather than a desperate bonfire huddle someone lit last Tuesday that lasted 15 minutes before everyone started highlandering each other for leadership.

6) You long for a true forums democracy where you, the people, get to vote for your moderators, and we the elite get to choose who we wanted to win anyway.

7) You were originally banned from SA for fun stuff like groverhaus and goatse, not legitimately insane poo poo like death threats.

8) You've acquired stockholm syndrome for the rustic charm of a trainwreck website custom coded from scratch.

9) Your commanding officer at the Agency says you'll get a fat bonus if you take this surveillance assignment because no one else wants it.

10) You genuinely wish the bread and roses folks all the best in life but would really rather not post anywhere near them.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

punk rebel ecks posted:

We should do what Neogaf did and have several notable posters make a website that is suppose to be a complete replacement of SomethingAwful.com.

I personally want to start organizing but nobody likes me since I'm a lovely poster with a bad rep.

are you talking about the gamefaqs spinoff luelinks "eti" ? :thunk:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Mooey Cow posted:

are you talking about the gamefaqs spinoff luelinks "eti" ? :thunk:

The gamefaqs spinoff leulinks "eti"

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Lambo Trillrissian posted:

10 reasons to post on tHE r H i z z o n E (number 9 will delight you:)

1) You want a place to talk poo poo where jokes are legal and doxxing isn't.

2) You're a leftist with powerful rare skills like "Read Book," "Go Outside," and "Do Something."

3) You have the properly developed social boundaries to not constantly insist on telling everyone how horny you are.

4) Your discerning taste prefers handcrafted, artisanal offsite pitches, written just for you in this very thread.

5) You prefer the stability of a community that has built up a decade of trust, rather than a desperate bonfire huddle someone lit last Tuesday that lasted 15 minutes before everyone started highlandering each other for leadership.

6) You long for a true forums democracy where you, the people, get to vote for your moderators, and we the elite get to choose who we wanted to win anyway.

7) You were originally banned from SA for fun stuff like groverhaus and goatse, not legitimately insane poo poo like death threats.

8) You've acquired stockholm syndrome for the rustic charm of a trainwreck website custom coded from scratch.

9) Your commanding officer at the Agency says you'll get a fat bonus if you take this surveillance assignment because no one else wants it.

10) You genuinely wish the bread and roses folks all the best in life but would really rather not post anywhere near them.

post a goht drat link before I blow you away

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

AHH F/UGH posted:

I don't like the layout of BnR and I don't really enjoy the overall tone of the site

I think something dash waffle dot com is a dumb name for a site and I won't use it on that alone

what is the third option and don't say reddit

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

How can I start a discord that's tied in with that GDN authenticator database on the goon discords?

jennyinstereo and I want to keep the awful Xmas music alive, so I'd love for that to be the place for it.

In the meantime, I have most of the years up here for your listening pleasure:

http://saxmas.robotcousin.com

Enjoy!

Edit: furthermore...

field balm posted:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jun 25, 2020

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
What can discord bots see that a normal user account can’t? I’m curious as to how the GDN bot was once (but not still?) used for doxxing.

Is there a real consensus on whether or not GDN is “safe” now?

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Totally Huge posted:

What can discord bots see that a normal user account can’t? I’m curious as to how the GDN bot was once (but not still?) used for doxxing.

To cut down on rumors: the bot has always been safe. Per the GDN thread:

Note that the bot is also open source, located at: https://github.com/MasterKale/gdnbot2

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Totally Huge posted:

You should probably read DiscordAPI to see what bots can read or not. GDN was never used for doxxing. It was another bot, named Brobot, coded by another Goon that used to have a bug that caused some kind of security compromise. This other bot doesn't exist anymore and the source was deleted by its original author.

Totally Huge posted:

GDN Bot has always from design to be used only for authing somethingawful forum accounts into discord. For anyone who has any other doubts and wants to feel safe and secure about what GDN does or doesn't do, they should check the Open Source Repo of GDN at https://github.com/MasterKale/gdnbot2.

GDN has also been certified by Discord, therefore it does what it does, and Discord approved it.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

Apparently "Rich Kyanka can eat my farts" is not a valid invitation code for BnR.

Michaelis
Dec 29, 2019
I looked at the rhizzone several months ago and my takeaway was that it was full of really smart people engaged in high level leftist philosophical/academic discourse which is all fine and good but it is deathly boring, challenging and not relaxing at all. You have my sincere admiration but SA is mainly entertainment for me, and the rhizzone is like the opposite. Revolutionary homework

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Michaelis posted:

I looked at their rhizzone several months ago and my takeaway was that it was full of really smart people engaged in high level leftist philosophical/academic discourse which is all fine and good but it is deathly boring, challenging and not relaxing at all. You have my sincere admiration but SA is mainly entertainment for me, and the rhizzone is like the opposite. Revolutionary homework

They're probably not actually smart and just regurgitating jargon and poo poo they read on Twitter the same way they do here

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Iwillmakethewebsite.com has been a bustling enclave of joke workshops(so fun!) and wonton general topic discussion for going on a dozen months or so. It's a self moderated space that allows for the experimentation of a rubberbanding power structure of preventing any posting who to grow too unwielding.

Its' thriving through donations from the typical expat goon wayward who arrives desperate for that familiar camaraderie and hoity chortle. This of course allows the website owner to procure enough albino infants for the triweekly sacrifice(which no one, but a select few know about this((secret mods with control panel access, since owner doesn't want to manage just own.)

Come on down!!!!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

absolutely anyone who remembers previous goon exoduses like wddp knows bnr is going to explode in a drama bomb within 6 months that will result in the chill forum getting shut down and a mass ban wave and if you’ve ever quoted the wrong poster you’re getting banned. it’s just the way of the world

Lambo Trillrissian posted:

tHE r H i z z o n E

:hmmyes:

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
Thanks all. I don’t mean to spread FUD or anything, I was just hoping to get a tl;dr on what bots can/can’t do without having to dig through api docs.

I was more curious on what the technical details were on how a malicious bot owner _could_ use it against anyone.

Like there is a bot in the “main” SA server that grants you some kind of permission when it sees .EAYOR. What is this, why do you need to issues this command and what is the bot doing? I think people would be more comfortable with Discord and federation networks, etc, if they exactly what that kind of thing was all about.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Isn't that just literally Bread N Roses or whatever

The bit about ResetEra's (NeoGAF followup) founding that its posters and admins didn't bother to tell you was that it was founded by a very insular group of politically aligned posters originating from the neoliberal hellhole politics megathread on GAF who were planning the site and the move well before any accusations of the admin being a sex pest showed up. It's why they got things set up so fast to begin with. All because they didn't like how GAF was being run or moderated and basically just wanted a modicum of power for themselves

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?

Wifi Toilet posted:

Yeah, not really looking for a place where all the mods were from the same subforum here. The best thing about this place is the diversity of subforums and posters.

100% this. This place has a good diversity of mods and users. Though not everyone likes each other, everyone here still likes this shithole and considers it their home.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

While I think Bread and Roses has potential, it's kinda obvious that half of the forum breakdown (the Bread part) is a ghost town, while the other half (Roses) is closer to what SA offers.

If goons move there, it'd have to restructure a lot of its layout and subforums if it's going to be an equivalent successor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
I’ve posted more in the last few days than since 2006 or whenever I finally registered. There’s something special about SA that I’ve not been able to properly explain to anyone IRL. It’s awful, but it’s also really good - especially since the base has matured and grown up to be (mostly) pretty decent and (mostly) intelligent people.

I feel like nothing will properly replace it, kind of like with slashdot.