Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michaelis
Dec 29, 2019
I've checked out bread n roses and I'm feeling very optimistic about it, enthusiastic even. It has a nice positive chill vibe, which is an actual welcome respite from the constant negativity in this place. People seem knowledgeable and skilled. I'm seeing yospos people and humour in the computer forum, and the generalist forum looks like a mix of gbs and pyf. I also hear rumor that much of Games is migrating here as well. It looks considerably less active than SA, but also way more active than any other offsite I'm aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaelis
Dec 29, 2019
I looked at the rhizzone several months ago and my takeaway was that it was full of really smart people engaged in high level leftist philosophical/academic discourse which is all fine and good but it is deathly boring, challenging and not relaxing at all. You have my sincere admiration but SA is mainly entertainment for me, and the rhizzone is like the opposite. Revolutionary homework

Michaelis
Dec 29, 2019

kas posted:

Laughing a bit at the naivety at cheering and celebrating at BnR getting over 5000 new subscriptions in a couple days, as though sextupling their userbase in a few days isn't going to be an absolute shitshow on every level, especially given how literally ever SA-hating weirdo/doxxer/creepshow offsite has been loving glued here salivating for new targets since this all went down.

Your point about the gross gdq thing is a valid concern, but I'd like to point out how the portion of your post I quoted strikes me as a good example of what I like least about SA - the constant, mindless attempts to tear everyone and everything down. Historically this has been a great source of comedy and satisfying well deserved metaphorical beatdowns, but over the years has given way to a constant droning hostile atmosphere where people are constantly being put down for no justified reason. The numbered of times mods have had to stamp down on threadshitting atests to this. The reason bnr has me feeling optimistic is that I see people there being nice and courteous, reserving criticism for when it's warranted rather than just being something that happens automatically, and reading threads there compared to here makes me feel like there's been an unpleasant heavy smog lifted from my brain for this very reason.

The general forum is not cspammy at all in atmosphere, and neither their cspam is as rabid as ours. They've gotten the greatest share of users of any offsite, so people looking for continuity are likeliest to find it there, and thanks to the Network Effect it's probably too late for any other option. I would hope valued gbs superstars like Sid, Putty and HugeGrossBurrito come along and give it a chance at least

People heavily invested into free for all fyad humor, and the tedious D&D moderates probably aren't going to enjoy it, and neither the people who just liked being constantly aggro, but it seems like it would be a good fit for everyone else. I wasn't expecting yosposters to go there but there they are.

Also if you can't stand sharing a forum with furries and communists I have some bad news about SA...