Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

if the discord bot were stealing information, what exactly would it be stealing?

i don't particularly care if some rando on the internet knows that i am a member of some flight simulator discords, and imo you shouldn't be posting any more identifying information to any discord than you would to the forums, so...
disclaimer: i'm new to this stuff and still trying to figure it out.

specifically, gdn bot has access to to discord user ids, which is necessary to associate sa account -> discord user, but i believe discord user ids are global across *all* discords. so you can identify a targeted account across the entire discord system, which may require access to those discords but there are plenty of public and also sensitive groups in existence -- like addiction recovery groups, or mental illness support, or local event groups that can be leveraged to doxx/harass people.

the specific thing that weirds me out is in iamkale's faq about gdn bot. what the heck is "a bit of read-only admin panel access"?

IAmKale posted:

And for a bit of GDN history: while he's not very popular around these parts, SA member Tempus Thales originally came to me three or four years back with an idea for a "Discord directory website". I started work on the homepage and v1 of GDN bot and soon after launched Goon Discord Network in 2016.

Tempus had historically been the public face of the network (for better or worse) while I'd been content to work behind the scenes as the sole developer of the bot, the website, and all of its infrastructure. I want to emphasize that going forward nothing happens in GDN without my say-so - I give Tempus a bit of read-only admin panel access out of respect for his championing the bot this far, but in the end I'm the final administrative decision maker who ultimately checks the box that blacklists you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU