Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Alcatraz was another one, sort of. It was also a bit Fringe-y with its cast (tough blond lady FBI agent, kooky sidekick into weird science stuff, Sam Neil). I watched the first episode but didn't get any further. The concept, iirc, is a bunch of inmates from Alcatraz went missing 50 years ago and are now resurfacing in modern day to commit crimes. Not-Olivia Dunham has to go and round them up and solve the mystery as to what caused their disappearance and reappearance. Sam Neil was an evil scientist or a spook or something. I think the main character had a mysterious past. Hurley is there, also.

I really liked Fringe a lot. :unsmith:

Walter Bishop is who I want to be when I get old :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Threshold: What if Lost but aliens
Invasion: What if Lost but aliens
V remake: What if Lost but aliens
Surface: What if Lost but sea monsters
FlashForward: What if Lost but time warp
666 Park Avenue: What if Lost but the devil
The Nine: What if Lost but bank robbery
Alcatraz: What if Lost but prison
Terra Nova: What if Lost but dinosaurs
Six Degrees: What if Lost but just the character connections

I'm sure I missed a few. It was even more glaring because they'd have actors who Lost killed off or only had as guest characters. FlashForward had Charlie and Penny, the V remake had Juliet, Person of Interest had Ben, 666 PA had Locke, and I remember even Scott Wolf got some work on a couple of shows like V and The Nine, ostensibly because he was Budget Matthew Fox AKA "that other guy from Party of Five".

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Came in here to mention FlashForward. I liked the show and was sad it got cancelled.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

Invasion: What if Lost but aliens
V remake: What if Lost but aliens
Surface: What if Lost but sea monsters
FlashForward: What if Lost but time warp
666 Park Avenue: What if Lost but the devil
The Nine: What if Lost but bank robbery
Alcatraz: What if Lost but prison
Terra Nova: What if Lost but dinosaurs
Six Degrees: What if Lost but just the character connections

I'm sure I missed a few. It was even more glaring because they'd have actors who Lost killed off or only had as guest characters. FlashForward had Charlie and Penny, the V remake had Juliet, Person of Interest had Ben, 666 PA had Locke, and I remember even Scott Wolf got some work on a couple of shows like V and The Nine, ostensibly because he was Budget Matthew Fox AKA "that other guy from Party of Five".

Fringe: What if Lost, but The X-Files
Heroes: What if Lost, but superheroes
Revolution: What if Lost, but in Chicago
The River: What if Lost, but on a boat

And I think that about covers it. And even then Revolution almost doesn't really count because Lost was like two years dead and buried by the time it started. Heroes also lingered on for like five seasons, but I'm putting the flag it in anyway because the first season is the one that people actually liked and cared about, the rest was a garbage mess and it wound up being like nine different shows by the time it was finished.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I literally have zero recollection of Alcatraz. Sounds kooky.

Jericho: LOST but it’s the collapse and rebuilding of the country

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Life on Mars: What if Lost but a cop is time displaced into the 70s
Daybreak: What if Lost but a framed cop groundhog days until he solves the mystery
Awake: What if Lost but there are two realities (but one's not real!)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

Threshold at least had the really creepy triple-helix thing going on.

Since only like 3 people watched it - Threshold is about extradimensional aliens rewriting peoples DNA and turning them into mad murder machines. I think there's some twist about how they're actually doing it to help us survive a solar flare. But whenever the aliens do some sort of meddling, or intrude into our dimension, they cause a mysterious triskelion symobl to appear innoucously. It could be someone doodling randomly, the splatter of blood drops. I don't think its ever explained why or how, it just does. One scene that sticks in my head is at the end of an episode where two of the scientists are stuck in traffic, discussing whatever it was that the episode was about. And as the camera pulls out you see all the lights of the cars and the city have formed this big triskleion. Spoooooooky.

It also has Peter Dinklage as an alcoholic horndog geneticist.

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS
Does anyone remember Happytown?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Oh man, I forgot about The River. It was incredibly derivative. Falling Skies is another "what if Lost but aliens" show I forgot to mention. They even had a knockoff Sawyer!

Heroes definitely counts, because it started from a format that absolutely aped Lost. Shows that came after or lasted more than one season I still put on the pile due to the thematic similarities. Like technically shows like Leftovers and Colony follow the same format and themes, even though they're by the same people. I felt like Fringe was different though. It was way more X-Files than Lost at the start, but ended up doing its own thing.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I recently binged on some youtuber's Lost reactions and it brought back so many good emotions (it helps to skip the bad parts). I don't know if it's the writing itself or just the time Lost was released in terms of both my personal life and the makeup of the industry (pre-streaming and binging) but god drat some of those scenes just hit hard on a rewatch.

I'm thankful for all of Lost's sins because it led us to The Leftovers seasons 2 and 3.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Terry Grunthouse posted:

Does anyone remember Happytown?

gently caress yes, came here to post about this. I freaking loved that show, it was like "What if LOST but the writers aped Twin Peaks even more?" But I honestly recall Happy Town as being legitimately weird and bizarre and as having its own hosed up intrigues. Sam Neill was so badass in that, and then the reveal at the end was that he had a British accent all along? I forget if that show even stuck around long enough to reveal gently caress-all. I loved that it was a bakery town that smelled like baking bread.

I dunno why, that show really stuck with me for a random mystery genre show.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Sam Neil appearing in multiple of the same type of shows is delightful

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

kaworu posted:

gently caress yes, came here to post about this. I freaking loved that show, it was like "What if LOST but the writers aped Twin Peaks even more?" But I honestly recall Happy Town as being legitimately weird and bizarre and as having its own hosed up intrigues. Sam Neill was so badass in that, and then the reveal at the end was that he had a British accent all along?

If this is true, then it's amazing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

Oh man, I forgot about The River. It was incredibly derivative. Falling Skies is another "what if Lost but aliens" show I forgot to mention. They even had a knockoff Sawyer!

Heroes definitely counts, because it started from a format that absolutely aped Lost. Shows that came after or lasted more than one season I still put on the pile due to the thematic similarities. Like technically shows like Leftovers and Colony follow the same format and themes, even though they're by the same people. I felt like Fringe was different though. It was way more X-Files than Lost at the start, but ended up doing its own thing.

The most out of left field curveball in that regard was Final Fantasy XIII, which was basically "What if Lost, but a Final Fantasy". Especially with its whole first third of setting up a mystery, not explaining poo poo (directly, anyway, you could read the onboard encyclopedia if you really needed answers), and then backfilling everyone's character development through flashbacks. It got amazingly blatant about how much it wanted to be Lost at certain points, it just blew me away--including a minor character who straight up looked and sounded exactly like Sawyer.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 13, 2021

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

I wonder how close we caning to having an actual LOST movie. There was speculation over the years there could be a sequel in movie form, but nothing came of it

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I watched The Wilds which I think someone in here mentioned. it reminded me a lot of The 100 where it starts off with the teenage angst drama angle but moves past that as it progresses. I think around episode 5 or 6 I started to really enjoy it because it stopped feeling like they were on a holiday and switched to a more serious tone ie they have to start dealing with actual survival issues

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Looks like NBC has a new show resembling Lost or Threshold called Debris. An odd couple of British and American intelligence agents team up to investigate the strange occurrences of crashed wreckage from space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm3Ub3XZUfI

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Dave posted:

I'm thankful for all of Lost's sins because it led us to The Leftovers seasons 2 and 3.
Did it get more coherent after Season 1? Because I found the entire season so infuriating that I dropped it like a bad habit.

So many loving banal plot points were dressed up as mysteries for no good reason and I had no idea why I should care about, like, most of them.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Seasons 2 and 3 are very different as they're no longer an adaptation of a book. Season 2 is maybe my favorite season of any TV show ever, which is really boosted by having Regina King in the cast.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

You make it sound like the writers of that show did a better job going beyond the source material than the writers of Game of Thrones did for the final season

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I just want to throw out that this show is way better as a binge streaming show to rewatch than it was back in the day. The wait was part of the fun, but not having to makes some of the less great stretches not as bothersome. This show still has some really peak prestige TV moments even if it kinda lost steam down the stretch.

I still am very fine with the finish. Been watching The Wilds and it very much has a LOST/Battle Royale vibe going with it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's kind of a wash, if you ask me. Yeah, you don't have to deal with waiting, but you also can't speculate with literally millions of people as it's happening.

Lost really had to be experienced as it happened, and I'm still mad that people think the ending was a Game of Thrones situation and not what it was: more of a Deep Space Nine situation.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

the flash-sideways scenes were definitely a slog, but the "remember" scenes sucker-punched me right in the feels and i cried through just about all of them. especially jin and sun's.

no other scene in any other media has ever made me care about the characters to that degree, and the slog was well worth it at least the first time through.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

God Hole posted:

the flash-sideways scenes were definitely a slog, but the "remember" scenes sucker-punched me right in the feels and i cried through just about all of them. especially jin and sun's.
Yeah, I never had a problem with the remembering scenes, those were great. It just meandered all season to get there, when it could've been a lot less to build up to the same result.

It also doesn't really make sense that Desmond was able to travel there through that big EM device. It was some weird afterlife world they collectively created to find each other in the afterlife, so Desmond flashing there implied it was a parallel dimension (which the show clearly wanted us to think), and it's wasn't that, or time travel, or anything else that would be explained by that device.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Mira Furlan died :smith:

https://comicbook.com/irl/news/lost-and-babylon-5-star-mira-furlan-dies-at-65/

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1352465912255770624/photo/1

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

Yeah, I never had a problem with the remembering scenes, those were great. It just meandered all season to get there, when it could've been a lot less to build up to the same result.

It also doesn't really make sense that Desmond was able to travel there through that big EM device. It was some weird afterlife world they collectively created to find each other in the afterlife, so Desmond flashing there implied it was a parallel dimension (which the show clearly wanted us to think), and it's wasn't that, or time travel, or anything else that would be explained by that device.

It was both the afterlife and a parallel dimension, reachable through the island, which is the source of all life, death and rebirth!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I noticed that Lost is on Amazon Prime.

Sh... should I? Do I want to do this to myself all over again? :ohdear:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I noticed that Lost is on Amazon Prime.

Sh... should I? Do I want to do this to myself all over again? :ohdear:

Have you watched since it ended a decade ago? If not... yes! As many of us have mentioned, LOST holds up much better on a binge watch than it did week to week.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Yeah, I've binged it a couple times in the last decade and it's definitely worth a rewatch, although the first half of season 2 is still an absolute slog to get through.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

The wait for new episodes and not wanting to miss them led to one of the early examples of a show being pirated via Bit Torrent. ABC famously became an early pioneer of allowing online streaming as result.

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

It's kind of a wash, if you ask me. Yeah, you don't have to deal with waiting, but you also can't speculate with literally millions of people as it's happening.

Lost really had to be experienced as it happened, and I'm still mad that people think the ending was a Game of Thrones situation and not what it was: more of a Deep Space Nine situation.

I may have to steal this analogy. I can get behind it. It does kinda make sense and I know enough Trekkies who’d understand.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Octy posted:

Yeah, I've binged it a couple times in the last decade and it's definitely worth a rewatch, although the first half of season 2 is still an absolute slog to get through.

Parts of season 2 and the first chunk of season 3 nearly drove me away from watching the show. But The Glass Ballerina has a special place in my fandom. Ben decided to tweak Jack and pay off the Shepard family reference of something being ridiculous and impossible "that is why the Red Sox will never win the World Series." Top 5, maybe top 3 moment on Lost for me. Yes I am a born and raised Red Sox and no my relationship with my father is completely opposite to Jack and and Christian's but I still got to laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHvY9ZEl7JM

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LaptopGun posted:

Parts of season 2 and the first chunk of season 3 nearly drove me away from watching the show. But The Glass Ballerina has a special place in my fandom. Ben decided to tweak Jack and pay off the Shepard family reference of something being ridiculous and impossible "that is why the Red Sox will never win the World Series." Top 5, maybe top 3 moment on Lost for me. Yes I am a born and raised Red Sox and no my relationship with my father is completely opposite to Jack and and Christian's but I still got to laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHvY9ZEl7JM

I love the fact that when they wrote that line they said they were so smug about it being some sort of chaos dunk on the Sox and would never have to pay it off because lol sox and then a few weeks after the show premiered the Red Sox won the World Series and the writers room was like "aw gently caress!"

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

I love the fact that when they wrote that line they said they were so smug about it being some sort of chaos dunk on the Sox and would never have to pay it off because lol sox and then a few weeks after the show premiered the Red Sox won the World Series and the writers room was like "aw gently caress!"

I totally believe that. Carlton is a Red Sox fan and Cuse is a Yankees fan or vice versa, I forget which order, so I totally see the worries and joys of being so on the nose. The Yankee fan in the room even said it was cathartic to see Jack scoff at Ben telling him about the ALCS comeback

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I was thinking about that the other day. It might be the only example I can think of where a show was able to expertly fold an unexpected real-life event during the filming into their narrative and have it work thematically. Showing Jack the footage actually became the turning point of believing what Ben was telling him, and I can't help but wonder how that scene would've been written if it didn't happen.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Time traveling bullets.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

They never did reveal who was shooting at the gang when they were rowing the canoes, but given the rampant time instability issues on the show I always assumed they were shooting at themselves. It was a dropped plot thread like how the Dharma time traveling numbered rabbits were supposed to be about more than some good jokes. (The Orchid video outtakes where Pierre Chang goes nuts when there’s 2 of the same rabbits was confirmed to have been teasing a storyline the writers never ultimately developed)

sticklefifer posted:

I was thinking about that the other day. It might be the only example I can think of where a show was able to expertly fold an unexpected real-life event during the filming into their narrative and have it work thematically. Showing Jack the footage actually became the turning point of believing what Ben was telling him, and I can't help but wonder how that scene would've been written if it didn't happen.

Ben would have had to wheel out a parlor trick, like making Locke’s father “magically” appear on the island. “No for my next trick Jack I will make the random dude you met who trained to sail around the world you ran into at a track appear on this island.” Oh wait...

LaptopGun fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 2, 2021

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

They never explained what the gently caress was going on in “Jacob’s Cabin”

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LaptopGun posted:

Ben would have had to wheel out a parlor trick, like making Locke’s father “magically” appear on the island. “No for my next trick Jack I will make the random dude you met who trained to sail around the world you ran into at a track appear on this island.” Oh wait...

In light of getting absolutely dogshit tired of JJ Abrams and his Mystery Box schitck over the decade and change since Lost ended, looking back I DO really appreciate Cuse and Lindeloff very unsubtly making fun of JJ's penchant for making Mystery Boxes with how they handle the crate with Locke's dad in it. With Ben snookering Locke and Sawyer into thinking it's a literal magical box and then just going "No, you dipshits, I had him tracked down, kidnapped, stuffed inside a crate and shipped her to the island in a submarine. Idiots" when it seems like they believe him.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They never explained what the gently caress was going on in “Jacob’s Cabin”

They hadn't even figured out who or what "Jacob" was at that point in time. The implication seems to be it was the Man In Black using his shapeshifting powers to gently caress with both Locke and Ben and reel them in further into his scheme. Because the cabin was surrounded by the magic Anti-Smoke Monster Sand and Locke very pointedly notices that the circle surrounding it is broken, which we later see nullifies the effect instantly.

But yeah, who the gently caress knows.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Remember after season 3 ended and the show runners got an agreement of 3 more season from ABC so that they would be sure to end on their terms and we all were happy that they’d be able to plan everything out now without problems? Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

In light of getting absolutely dogshit tired of JJ Abrams and his Mystery Box schitck over the decade and change since Lost ended, looking back I DO really appreciate Cuse and Lindeloff very unsubtly making fun of JJ's penchant for making Mystery Boxes with how they handle the crate with Locke's dad in it. With Ben snookering Locke and Sawyer into thinking it's a literal magical box and then just going "No, you dipshits, I had him tracked down, kidnapped, stuffed inside a crate and shipped her to the island in a submarine. Idiots" when it seems like they believe him.

IIRC, the "mystery box" term came about towards the end of Season 3, so after those scenes were released. So I don't think this quite tracks.

nine-gear crow posted:

They hadn't even figured out who or what "Jacob" was at that point in time. The implication seems to be it was the Man In Black using his shapeshifting powers to gently caress with both Locke and Ben and reel them in further into his scheme. Because the cabin was surrounded by the magic Anti-Smoke Monster Sand and Locke very pointedly notices that the circle surrounding it is broken, which we later see nullifies the effect instantly.

But yeah, who the gently caress knows.

Then there's the stuff with the cabin's magical teleportation abilities from Season 4.

You'd think, after two seasons of playing with an idea, that they'd develop a coherent narrative for what it is and how it works.