Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Remember after season 3 ended and the show runners got an agreement of 3 more season from ABC so that they would be sure to end on their terms and we all were happy that they’d be able to plan everything out now without problems? Lol

They mostly did. Writing regular run-of-the-mill TV is hard, writing bigger "prestige network" shows even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

nine-gear crow posted:

In light of getting absolutely dogshit tired of JJ Abrams and his Mystery Box schitck over the decade and change since Lost ended, looking back I DO really appreciate Cuse and Lindeloff very unsubtly making fun of JJ's penchant for making Mystery Boxes with how they handle the crate with Locke's dad in it. With Ben snookering Locke and Sawyer into thinking it's a literal magical box and then just going "No, you dipshits, I had him tracked down, kidnapped, stuffed inside a crate and shipped her to the island in a submarine. Idiots" when it seems like they believe him.

They hadn't even figured out who or what "Jacob" was at that point in time. The implication seems to be it was the Man In Black using his shapeshifting powers to gently caress with both Locke and Ben and reel them in further into his scheme. Because the cabin was surrounded by the magic Anti-Smoke Monster Sand and Locke very pointedly notices that the circle surrounding it is broken, which we later see nullifies the effect instantly.

But yeah, who the gently caress knows.

You know, I don’t think I picked up on Ben dispelling a magic box joke as the showrunners taking a shot at JJ Abrams, but I really like it. And Ben absolutely used the words magic box in his story.

https://youtu.be/xhEfdBX2z6Y

https://youtu.be/QwviJRqVsBQ

https://lostpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Magic_box

My guess about the cabin confusion is the writers really didn’t know what they wanted out of the plot point and just said gently caress it. It’s clear the ring of black sand was supposed to be keeping Smokey out. Ben’s never disproven claim he never saw Jacob or anything else in the cabin is some form of manipulation (both Ben on the others and Smokey on Ben). I just don’t think the writers were all that jazzed about explaining really what on earth was happening. I suspect it’s the same decision the writers made about Ben’s secret room that he could use to “summon” Smokey, with summon open for interpretation of just what on earth was really happening.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Remember after season 3 ended and the show runners got an agreement of 3 more season from ABC so that they would be sure to end on their terms and we all were happy that they’d be able to plan everything out now without problems? Lol

The show improved somewhat since they stopped needing to do filler episodes like flashbacks about Jack’s tattoos of Locke gets taken advantage of by hippy pot farmers. You’re right it’s still kinda tweaking your audience to claim that everything was mapped out.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They always said the way they wrote the show was like a road trip. You know where you're going, but how you get there, if you make unscheduled stops along the way, etc. was wide open.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

They always said the way they wrote the show was like a road trip. You know where you're going, but how you get there, if you make unscheduled stops along the way, etc. was wide open.

The only thing they knew is that it would end with Jack dying in the same shot as the opener.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

wasn't jack supposed to be a false protag who bites it in the first ep

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

God Hole posted:

wasn't jack supposed to be a false protag who bites it in the first ep

Yeah. They wanted to cast Kurt Russell* and have him be Captain Invincible Protagonist until they made it to the cockpit halfway through the pilot episode and then the smoke monster would have just eviscerated him and Kate would become the real protagonist of the show. Mathew Fox's audition or first few days on set, I believe, changed things wildly and Jack survived till the end of the show.

*I believe Kurt Russell was the name they threw out, or someone in his particular vein of actor. Either way, this was from the days when film actors doing television was considered either an impossibility, the sign of a career coming to an end, or something you'd have to pay out the rear end for, hence why they'd kill off his version of Jack before the first episode was over. If Lost were made today, they probably could have pulled off having a big name lead and having their character survive the whole run of the show thanks the oversaturation of Prestige TV.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I think it was Michael Keaton, not Kurt Russell? I feel like there has to be a reason why I always connected him with Matthew Fox and I think that's it...

fake edit: Google agrees, yeah

On a random note I was watching Bone Tomahawk the other night - which *does* star Kurt Russell - and was so pleased to see Matthew Fox being a badass in it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Anyone else remember when Dominic Monaghan was talking on Twitter about how some stuff and outed Matthew Fox as a wife beater?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Anyone else remember when Dominic Monaghan was talking on Twitter about how some stuff and outed Matthew Fox as a wife beater?

*woman beater

as i understand it, he is not limited to only beating wives

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I'm re-watching this show again and since I remembered I had access to archives I decided to use this power to go find the old threads of which happened before I joined.

And now I present to you the page of the thread the moment Michael shot Ana and Libby and then himself (this then goes on for several more pages):

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1867023&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=18

Basically the same as any other show where something wild happens, I know I know, I don't know what I was expecting

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 29, 2021

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Shannon was stabbed.

Time traveling bullets.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Locke is controls sand monster.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Time traveling bullets.
Time traveling bullets isn't a stupid theory in a show that introduced unpredictable effects of time travel, had people shooting guns off into the trees, and also had bullets appear as if from nowhere in a different scene.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Locke is controls sand monster.
I'm so happy I was there for this.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

Time traveling bullets isn't a stupid theory in a show that introduced unpredictable effects of time travel, had people shooting guns off into the trees, and also had bullets appear as if from nowhere in a different scene.

Probably one of the top 5 things I’ve laughed hardest at on the forums. Made even better by the fact that, if I’m not mistaken, that was the account’s first and only post.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Sorry for being gone for a while.

Time traveling bullets wasn’t a terrible idea. The show kept teasing strange time traveling effects so the story could have moved in that direction. Hell I still wonder whether the writers meant to show the infamous gunfight on outriggers as being a crazy time traveling thing then got cold feet (I think I referenced that in this thread before… sorry I must have issues haha). So theory at the time was crazy and a bit lame, but also par for the course of Lost.

Hell there was a recent movie that seemed to embrace the idea of time traveling bullets.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The only thing they knew is that it would end with Jack dying in the same shot as the opener.

Which is funny because I can see that being the plan all along but then they let Matthew Fox joke in interviews for years that he expected to wind up dead on a beach with a dog in a familiar looking shot.

God Hole posted:

*woman beater

as i understand it, he is not limited to only beating wives

Lord I forgot about that. How awful.

LividLiquid posted:

I remember a couple of the episode commentaries on the DVDs implied this…

quote="Lastdancer" post="514350559"]
I'm re-watching this show again and since I remembered I had access to archives I decided to use this power to go find the old threads of which happened before I joined.

And now I present to you the page of the thread the moment Michael shot Ana and Libby and then himself (this then goes on for several more pages):

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1867023&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=18

Basically the same as any other show where something wild happens, I know I know, I don't know what I was expecting

[/quote]

Thank you for this. Brings a smile to my face. Another example how old I now am but oh well. I wonder if I was posting watching the episode. I know I watched the episode when new. An under appreciated phenomena is see people on the west coast post later since the episodes air later of course.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

Ditto for the theory

Locke’s ever changing relationship with Smokey was classic fodder for posts and that’s before whatever long forgotten post you and Antifa Turkeesian referenced.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Shannon was stabbed became a great meme. All from what was clearly a special effects fail

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

LaptopGun posted:

Sorry for being gone for a while.

Time traveling bullets wasn’t a terrible idea. The show kept teasing strange time traveling effects so the story could have moved in that direction. Hell I still wonder whether the writers meant to show the infamous gunfight on outriggers as being a crazy time traveling thing then got cold feet (I think I referenced that in this thread before… sorry I must have issues haha). So theory at the time was crazy and a bit lame, but also par for the course of Lost.

The boat shootout was telegraphed rather obviously as them shooting at themselves via time travel, because they obscured the identities of the people on the other boat, and why do that so late in the life of a show that you're not going to introduce anyone else significant enough to be worth making a mystery out of?

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Not gonna lie. I learned about what hollow earth theory was just because Lost teased it once and something like a quarter of posters bought into theory that’s what was going on in the show for a bit.

Edit: theory as something people on the internet could still believe, not hey Jules Verne stories or fun TV shows

LaptopGun fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 18, 2021

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

The boat shootout was telegraphed rather obviously as them shooting at themselves via time travel, because they obscured the identities of the people on the other boat, and why do that so late in the life of a show that you're not going to introduce anyone else significant enough to be worth making a mystery out of?

EXACTLY. I’m glad I’m not the only one

And yeah it was so late in the show they weren’t casting any surprise Others or disciples of Smokey

Edit: they couldn’t even be bothered to explain Jacob had an adopted daughter and why she was important so they weren’t going to dive into the boat shootout

LaptopGun fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 18, 2021

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

LaptopGun posted:

An under appreciated phenomena is see people on the west coast post later since the episodes air later of course.

And Canadians were a couple minutes ahead because of different ad breaks or scheduling or whatnot, leading to some ticked off people in the live posting.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Remember when people got really fixated on how Ken Leung's character went to a house that had one set of picture frames when he went up the stairs and then had a different set of frames on the pictures when he went back down? That was one of the things that first got people fixated on time travel changing things or parallel timelines, as I recall.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

The most out of left field curveball in that regard was Final Fantasy XIII, which was basically "What if Lost, but a Final Fantasy". Especially with its whole first third of setting up a mystery, not explaining poo poo (directly, anyway, you could read the onboard encyclopedia if you really needed answers), and then backfilling everyone's character development through flashbacks. It got amazingly blatant about how much it wanted to be Lost at certain points, it just blew me away--including a minor character who straight up looked and sounded exactly like Sawyer.

Fringe is a real stretch for LOST clone since it's just utterly a X-Files clone. It wasn't terrible but on rewatch I came to dislike how Olivia got sidelined as the action hero of the duo for whatshisface usurping her position for the most part.

But trying to claim FF13 is a LOST clone is really amazing, since it has literally nothing in common with LOST. And what you describe is like, standard JRPG plot and character progression. I guess you could call FInal Fantasy 7 (1997) a LOST ripoff too by those standards.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

I agree with the idea that it’s just JRPGs trading in similar story conventions

Remember when people got really fixated on how Ken Leung's character went to a house that had one set of picture frames when he went up the stairs and then had a different set of frames on the pictures when he went back down? That was one of the things that first got people fixated on time travel changing things or parallel timelines, as I recall.

I can confirm that was a thing. It was also supposedly a reference to the original Prisoner (not the late 2000’s remake). There were deliberate red herrings in set design apparently. What’s frustrating is the same could be said about Eloise and her living in the Lamp Post station. “Wait she both knows the future and the past but needs a Dharma station to locate the island?” It’s obvious the writers had some retcons involving Eloise…

From her Lostpedia page https://lostpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Eloise_Hawking

In an interview with ew.com, the producers suggest that Eloise travels through time. LINDELOF: "Unless you travel back in time, like Mrs. Hawking does." [3]

Well never know if plans changed or it was all a red herring I guess.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

stratdax posted:

And Canadians were a couple minutes ahead because of different ad breaks or scheduling or whatnot, leading to some ticked off people in the live posting.

Yeah that’s a good reminder too. I forgot that

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

I broke down and went on a wiki spiral of death. Start here if you want to follow. https://lostpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Outrigger_chase

The TLDR version: the script writer said the identities and everyone involved has been coy or deliberately misleading since some or all of who it was supposed to be got killed on the show. I think this actually points to Ilana and the Ajira survivors. The DVD special features imply it’s crew from the Black Rock and was supposed to be part of Richard’s flashback. I think the repeated language of closing the loop probably means it was the Lostaways vs Ajira survivors… which probably means some were shooting at their future selves.

Cuse and Lindlhof continue to keep the secret if you want to call it that.

https://www.comicsbeat.com/nycc-20-lindelof-cuse-lost-panel/?amp

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/amp/news/lost-creator-still-refuses-to-answer-one-of-the-series-biggest-m/

Bonus references to the Whispers sometimes being Smokey, sometimes the Others, sometimes ghosts, and sometimes their own plot hole

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

LaptopGun posted:

I can confirm that was a thing. It was also supposedly a reference to the original Prisoner (not the late 2000’s remake). There were deliberate red herrings in set design apparently. What’s frustrating is the same could be said about Eloise and her living in the Lamp Post station. “Wait she both knows the future and the past but needs a Dharma station to locate the island?” It’s obvious the writers had some retcons involving Eloise…

Uh, pretty sure this was me pointing out the bit with the picture frames :o: But I think there is some mis-remembering or conflating of things. I just actually went back and watched that drat scene (episode 4x2) and it brought the whole thing back.

As I recall, what I was pointing out was that the drat picture of the kid was actually following Ken Leung around the house in the flashback - there was like a flash of it on the second floor when he goes into the kids room.

Then there was a continuity error (I assume that's what it was) where after he comes back downstairs, the frame that the picture of the kid is in has changed. I think because we see the picture moving around the house that I may have thought that there was more to it all, but I'm pretty sure that it was just establishing that Miles actually was communing with a ghost and not bullshitting or something.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

I totally believe you. Oops

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I was one of the people insisting it would be important because I've worked in film and there's no loving reason for the set dec to change like that AND for the camera to linger on it.

But then they said it was just an accident and like... how?!

LaptopGun posted:

Not gonna lie. I learned about what hollow earth theory was just because Lost teased it once and something like a quarter of posters bought into theory that’s what was going on in the show for a bit.
I remember going back and forth with somebody here who insisted the island was a mirror matter moon, whatever the gently caress that is.

Anyway, this page has been great for pointing out the actual unanswered questions and inconsistencies in the show, which is a refreshing change of pace after years of hearing "it was purgatory the whole time" or "the plane crashed and they all died," or "they never explained what the island was" in any thread for any show that's going downhill.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I remember the days when Nanobots was gonna be the answer to all our questions.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

Sloppy attention to continuity, unprofessionlism, pick ups by second unit. Could be a bunch of reasons.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There was a Starbucks cup in focus on a table in the final season of Game of Thrones.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

There was a Starbucks cup in focus on a table in the final season of Game of Thrones.

I like to believe that was an intentional act of protest.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdgoTWDXVVY

I never realized this was Ian Jones-Quartey, who makes cartoons now. Maybe he did then too.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Man I dont remember that at all and I was pretty heavily into Lost.

But then again every episode had its own thread

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I remember the days when Nanobots was gonna be the answer to all our questions.

I blame the “we promise everything will have a plausible scientific explanation” showrunners. This being the same guys who promised no time travel when they freaking knew there would be plenty of time fun. Also the writers and whoever ran the ARG over the years sure wanted the audience to think it was nanobots. There were several Easter eggs on various websites and a crazy nanobots conspiracy theorist in the ARG at one point. I still get a kick out of them having to update the episode where Hurleys house burned down because the internet thought the lovely smoke and fire CGI was a swarm of nanobots. And there was the best Smokey theory contest winner Linlehof and Cuse picked the guy who half guessed right the Monster was mutated by the island, but we all focused on what turned out to be the wrong half (Dharma nanobots mutated by contact with the island).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The ARG was way more fun than I thought it would be. Also I don’t remember anything about it except for Alvar Hanso and a dress rehearsal of the live final radio broadcast that they accidentally did live with people listening to it, and the radio talk show guy complained about how unfair the fans were and how they complained about everything—which, ok that’s probably an incredibly fair criticism.

I also remember them doing an event at comic con where a character from the ARG accused Lindeloff and Cuse of being murderers, which is an incredibly meta thing to do.

I think in the ARG narrative it was because they were running DHARMA ads during the show or something. Kind of a brave move when all the media people and press there will just think a crazy person disrupted everything and is loose at comic con.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

I was one of the people insisting it would be important because I've worked in film and there's no loving reason for the set dec to change like that AND for the camera to linger on it.

I remember going back and forth with somebody here who insisted the island was a mirror matter moon, whatever the gently caress that is.

Anyway, this page has been great for pointing out the actual unanswered questions and inconsistencies in the show, which is a refreshing change of pace after years of hearing "it was purgatory the whole time" or "the plane crashed and they all died," or "they never explained what the island was" in any thread for any show that's going downhill.

And the paratrooper from Widmore’s search party was an astronaut or a Starship Trooper or a Morlock or from Narnia or…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

The ARG was way more fun than I thought it would be. Also I don’t remember anything about it except for Alvar Hanso and a dress rehearsal of the live final radio broadcast that they accidentally did live with people listening to it, and the radio talk show guy complained about how unfair the fans were and how they complained about everything—which, ok that’s probably an incredibly fair criticism.

I also remember them doing an event at comic con where a character from the ARG accused Lindeloff and Cuse of being murderers, which is an incredibly meta thing to do.

I think in the ARG narrative it was because they were running DHARMA ads during the show or something. Kind of a brave move when all the media people and press there will just think a crazy person disrupted everything and is loose at comic con.

The Alvar Hanso gunrunning stuff and possibly being hundred of years old (plus Joop the maybe ancient ape) wound up inspiring several things on the show. It’s funny we know more about the Numbers from the ARG than the show itself.

I’m sure the ABC publicity department was not happy with the Comic Con appearance that resulted in both the crowd and speakers swearing like they were in a Tarantino movie (whatever year teased the time traveling bunny rabbits). Hey a callback to writers dropping the time traveling bunny rabbit stuff because they didn’t want to go full Timecop (edit: same matter can’t occupy the same space at the same time)… it’s like I intentionally planned my response to reference that or something.

LaptopGun fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 20, 2021