Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

SA pulled me away from 4Chan when I was in a very vulnerable state mentally and it's honestly kind of scary to think about where I might be if I had stayed there a few years longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

It kept me from getting too interested in 4chan when I was in the main age group of their users and keeps me from having a more than tiny role on Reddit, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. All of those are good things in my mind.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Oh, yeah, SA definitely kept me from getting into a lot of stupid poo poo for assholes way before normal people knew about it, like 4chan, cryptocurrency, pickup artistry, libertarianism

Pijeus
Feb 24, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I made some really good friends on here in some of the old chat threads, led to me doing cool stuff like flying out to a new country to visit. Fallen out of contact as much but got fond memories.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
PYF kept my poops interesting.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

TCC did that for me. I'd wake up in the afternoon and poo poo something I swear I had never eaten

Activate
Oct 29, 2011

I paid my ten dollars for this site a long time ago when I was going through some intense trauma. Over the years I slowly got better, learned to like myself, built a life for myself, and now I feel comfortable enough to post. So posting here makes me reflect on how far I’ve come.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I just realized I was basically raised feral by a group of warhammer goons so uh

I might not have ever learned how to use a fork and knife properly but I do know I should buy the viperless milk and also deep knowledge of black crusade acquisition rules

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Plinkey's Goon Fund helped me out several times before it was killed. The new Goon Fund has helped too. I'm really pleased at how we help each other here on SA 😁

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I came to SA mostly because I was sick and tired and plain done with stupid drama and bullshit going on with other forums I was posting on.

Coming here was like walking into Oz and seeing everything turn from black-and-white into color (credit to Chris Jericho for that analogy). There were admins that gave clear and consistant rules to everyone (before Lowtax became an insane and lazy rear end in a top hat he set this standard so credit where it's due...still rest in piss he had to go). Moderators that actually hung out with the community instead of hiding in the shadows and hanging out with their forum buddies off-site. But most importantly the community was just a vehement rejection of the Internet's bad tendencies that I loved. If you had an unpopular opinion you were heard as long as you weren't an rear end in a top hat about it. If a hivemind groupthink happened in a thread people were encouraged to loving shatter it. And most importantly the community kinda policed itself by mocking trolls and idiots before a mod came in and publicly banned them after lighting them up (instead of tolerating them because they liked them for weird reasons).

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
I played a lot of videogames with goons during the years, and I got to meet some really funny and interesting individuals. It's crazy to think that I first started browsing on SA almost twenty years ago.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Like half the furniture in my home is stuff I got from fellow goons when they moved or upgraded :3:

codswallop
Dec 26, 2012

BABIES EVERYWHERE!
I was a lurker for years before registering. Got punched hard by the baby rabies a decade ago after a lifetime of being one of them outspoken childfree warriors and had no idea how to deal... and Something Awful was the only place I knew that wasn't a total hugbox.

So I registered and blurbled into an E/N thread about how I wanted babies and didn't want babies and shouldn't have babies but needed babies right now.

People teased me, called me an idiot, changed the title of my thread a couple times, bought me this beautiful icon, and pointed out that some of my underlying health issues were probably contributing to my angst.

I dread to think what the state of my life would be now if I'd decided to vent on Tumblr instead. I'm no longer 'childfree' - other people's kids are incredibly neat - but I love my lazy freedom. Every weekend that I wake up at 11 to texts from my friends who've been up since 5 with their toddlers I bless Goons for not thinking everyone's feelings are valid.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

The first time I had sex, my girlfriend was late on her period and we were both freaking out and we asked SA what we should do. Turned out nothing, nothing was wrong, but man those were some times.

edit for fun anecdote: she was an Australian girl, 16, and I was an American guy, 15. We had met on the Internet two years prior, and my father bought me a plane ticket to Australia, where I stayed with her... like, sleeping in her bed, for three weeks, with her parents' blessing. How weird to think about it now, all these years later.

edit 2: this was in 2001, but before 9/11. We're still friends all these years later. I saw her again not long ago.

edit 3: but holy poo poo what were our parents thinking? We were "engaged" to one another. 15 and 16 year-olds are not mature enough to get married!

credburn has a new favorite as of 07:18 on Feb 23, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

codswallop posted:

I'm no longer 'childfree' - other people's kids are incredibly neat - but I love my lazy freedom. Every weekend that I wake up at 11 to texts from my friends who've been up since 5 with their toddlers I bless Goons for not thinking everyone's feelings are valid.

The first part doesn't match up with the second. If you weren't child free, wouldn't that mean you had kids?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"childfree" is a philosophical standpoint of "hah, kids are awful, i will never have them"

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's the difference between "not religious" and "Atheist"

codswallop
Dec 26, 2012

BABIES EVERYWHERE!
Yep. “Childless” “Childfree” and “I don’t have kids” are three very different emotions about the same situation

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I thought I was the only one with an av like this :unsmith:

codswallop
Dec 26, 2012

BABIES EVERYWHERE!

SgtScruffy posted:

:hfive:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Babies EVERYWHERE

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Grassy Knowles posted:

Babies EVERYWHERE

I feel great

(Thank you for the av)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

I feel great

(Thank you for the av)

I jUsT ShAtTeRed mY HAND!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

"childfree" is a philosophical standpoint of "hah, kids are awful, i will never have them"

codswallop posted:

Yep. “Childless” “Childfree” and “I don’t have kids” are three very different emotions about the same situation

Gotcha, I see what you meant.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

SgtScruffy posted:

So did I!

codswallop
Dec 26, 2012

BABIES EVERYWHERE!
I don’t actually know what this AV comes from…

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

codswallop posted:

I don’t actually know what this AV comes from…

https://youtu.be/9h_nJE2nZWM

codswallop
Dec 26, 2012

BABIES EVERYWHERE!

More magnificent than I ever dreamed... And there's another way Something Awful has just made my life better!

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

codswallop posted:

More magnificent than I ever dreamed... And there's another way Something Awful has just made my life better!

Sounds like someone feels great

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I would never have guessed that woman was in favour of babies everywhere.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

"What's up?"
"Me! :haw:"

I would have bought every Nutrigrain bar in existence if I'd known this was a commercial. I thought it was from a B-movie or something.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

YeahTubaMike posted:

"What's up?"
"Me! :haw:"

I would have bought every Nutrigrain bar in existence if I'd known this was a commercial. I thought it was from a B-movie or something.

It's not a real commercial, it's a student project. Kellogg's would never make something that good.

Highest quality version that exists: https://www.justinreardon.com/nutrigrain-feel-great

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Plastik posted:

It's not a real commercial, it's a student project. Kellogg's would never make something that good.

Highest quality version that exists: https://www.justinreardon.com/nutrigrain-feel-great

Ok, this I didn't know. I mean, sure, it's out there, but I thought it was from the age of companies going "let's try this viral thing" and thought outside the box.

That's disappointing.

Also it always struck me as weird that ab-punching dude is walking with a sort of limp afterwards.

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 12:06 on Mar 1, 2023

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hadn't seen this in years but still enjoy it, so I guess this is a time Something Awful spread a little extra joy in my life

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

2 years ago, I participated in something awful survivor: the let's play edition. My father had recently been diagnosed with cancer, my relationship was on the rocks, I really needed something in my life that I could look forward to and would make me happy, and SAS kind of filled that for me. I am not the best at survivor type games, and I imagine there was a lot of salt whenever I survived round after round because I couldn't predict the future like the game veterans and got played like a fiddle basically. I didn't care, because I was there to have fun and be social and I guess everything worked out in the end.

My relationship ended suddenly in May 2021. I had to start things over from scratch from being in an increasingly abusive relationship for a decade. The forum and its content creators and curators helped me get through some really difficult times. I'm mentally and emotionally stabler and happier then I've been in a long time, and it's due in part to you lot.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I brought my Drake posted:

2 years ago, I participated in something awful survivor: the let's play edition. My father had recently been diagnosed with cancer, my relationship was on the rocks, I really needed something in my life that I could look forward to and would make me happy, and SAS kind of filled that for me. I am not the best at survivor type games, and I imagine there was a lot of salt whenever I survived round after round because I couldn't predict the future like the game veterans and got played like a fiddle basically. I didn't care, because I was there to have fun and be social and I guess everything worked out in the end.

My relationship ended suddenly in May 2021. I had to start things over from scratch from being in an increasingly abusive relationship for a decade. The forum and its content creators and curators helped me get through some really difficult times. I'm mentally and emotionally stabler and happier then I've been in a long time, and it's due in part to you lot.
im glad you had fun and we gave you something to help you get through that. Screw the haters you play your game how you need to.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What is Something Awful Survivor?

Is it that thing where the OP enters a bunch of goons into a program, and it simulates days going by and randomly kills us off?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What is Something Awful Survivor?

Is it that thing where the OP enters a bunch of goons into a program, and it simulates days going by and randomly kills us off?

it's the game Survivor but its on the forums. The most recent iteration is running right now.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I brought my Drake posted:

:unsmith:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I'm going through a rough patch recently... Don't want to get into the deets because it'll make me mopey and weepy. Suffice to say that waking up and going to work has been a monumental effort lately.

The #blessed pictures thread has been such a lifesaver. If, after a restless night of insomnia/nightmares, I wake up on "the wrong side of the bed", I go outside for my morning smoke and check that out before I even check the weather or email. Yes, I have a therapist, but it's amazing how some cute capybaras and cat videos can allow me to take a few deep breaths and get on with my day.

I know you can find funny/cute animal pics anywhere, but that thread just has the bestest vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I won’t say it did it single-handedly but hard agree on that thread being very therapeutic. I’m turning the corner on a depressive episode that started with the pandemic, my darkest one since… 1997/‘98?, and replacing my doomscrolling with kittykats and wisdom hamsters does help with the whole “let’s not kill ourself just yet” goal. Big shoutout to ekuNNN and mobby_6kl for being thread MVPs.