Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
SA kept me from falling too deeply down the 4chan rabbit hole in my late teenage years, which I think was great for me. Found out about SA when the Scientology poo poo kicked off, and a shitposting site without the overt racism and pedo poo poo seemed loving fantastic.

When I had to move for my first post-colligate job, a goon who lived where I was moving found a post about me being stressed as gently caress about moving to a small, semi isolated town and offered to show me around town and point out stuff like which restaurants sucked despite the locals loving it, and he spotted me some living expenses before my first paycheck came in. I was more than glad to return the favor when he got the gently caress out of that shithole and moved to my hometown.

poo poo, every person I've met IRL who I've found out was a goon was awesome for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

JOHN CENA posted:

im glad you had fun and we gave you something to help you get through that. Screw the haters you play your game how you need to.

this. it was good playing with you, drake

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hey fellow goons, I want to say this is probably the only website that's ever been a positive influence on my life, vs practically everywhere else where I'd prolly join a gang to go find the servers and smash them up.

This place has brought me so much help and joy for near on two decades, and even spending those years aggro and never funny, it feels nice to be part of some weird dweeb family. Y'all rule.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hey fellow goons, I want to say this is probably the only website that's ever been a positive influence on my life, vs practically everywhere else where I'd prolly join a gang to go find the servers and smash them up.

This place has brought me so much help and joy for near on two decades, and even spending those years aggro and never funny, it feels nice to be part of some weird dweeb family. Y'all rule.
You rule just as much, friend.

Just so you know, if you need someone to talk with, there's another thread we share where I'm sure you can find someone to talk to.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

When life gave me Hellbans, somethingawful gave me stairs.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
am i allowed to effortpost in here

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lady Radia posted:

am i allowed to effortpost in here

You are encouraged.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

so i had a very scary time a few weeks ago. i don't really wanna rego through all the details, forums poster Nuns with Guns posted an excellent summary awhile back in PYF sagas i can link if folks want.

while, knock on wood, i seem to have gotten really lucky, and not had any real life impact from it, what happened next just absolutely destroyed me

some of the irl friends I have who also post here forwarded on a bunch of the random poo poo people posted about me. and it made me cry more than once. i know i am Universally Beloved forums poster Lady Radia, but seeing everyone speak out in support of me - even if days later via screenshots lol - basically expressing care and gratitude for dumb nonsense poo poo i did. It was overwhelming, it was so much.

i love this community a lot. y'all suck rear end and being a woman on here sucks rear end but i suck rear end right along with you and im glad i was able to come back. genuinely one of the most affirming moments I can remember.

ok that's all. im never sincereposting again. begone trolls

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Sincere posting? In this economy?

Seriously though, you're a cool cat and I'm glad you came back.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

TFR is probably the most wholesome and welcoming firearms community on the internet, which is a low goddamn bar but as somebody that the right wing wants to exterminate (:justtrans:) it's nice to have a gun forum that's not full of fascist nutjobs.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Lady Radia posted:

so i had a very scary time a few weeks ago. i don't really wanna rego through all the details, forums poster Nuns with Guns posted an excellent summary awhile back in PYF sagas i can link if folks want.

while, knock on wood, i seem to have gotten really lucky, and not had any real life impact from it, what happened next just absolutely destroyed me

some of the irl friends I have who also post here forwarded on a bunch of the random poo poo people posted about me. and it made me cry more than once. i know i am Universally Beloved forums poster Lady Radia, but seeing everyone speak out in support of me - even if days later via screenshots lol - basically expressing care and gratitude for dumb nonsense poo poo i did. It was overwhelming, it was so much.

i love this community a lot. y'all suck rear end and being a woman on here sucks rear end but i suck rear end right along with you and im glad i was able to come back. genuinely one of the most affirming moments I can remember.

it was a hosed up thang and we’re all the richer for having you here, tbh. so, welcome back.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Lady Radia posted:

so i had a very scary time a few weeks ago.

:glomp:

Same

Tried not to post but had to. I'm sorry you feel being a woman on here sucks rear end. It really shouldn't. I choose to not disclose my gender, not because what it is, but because it's none of y'all fuckers' business. Love y'all fuckers btw.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Lady Radia posted:

glad you're back

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

gently caress off scoundrels

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

This post is how I found out about Lady Radia, and I'm glad you're back.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
i was directed to SA by a goon who doesn't speak to me anymore, but I'm so glad I'm here now. most goons are so easy to get along with.

thanks for existing and helping me exist a little more comfortably, goons. I hope to return the favor whenever possible.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I was in a rut 15 years ago, took a joke personal ad I saw on GBS and posted it on Craigslist as a joke…

And I married the person who responded

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

hark posted:

i was directed to SA by a goon who doesn't speak to me anymore, but I'm so glad I'm here now. most goons are so easy to get along with.

I don't even know if the person who told me about SA is alive or not.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

If it was the Yellow Ranger, I have bad news.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i followed lowtax here from planet quake. wonder what ever happened to that guy

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Mr. Fix It posted:

i followed lowtax here from planet quake. wonder what ever happened to that guy
He went away to live on a farm where he gets all the mangosteen he can handle

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

On Thurs, I had a big fight with my SO and blew a job interview and was feeling really down. This thread really helped me out. Thanks, goons.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

He went away to live on a farm where he gets all the mangosteen he can handle

even more than he can handle, apparently :yiikes:

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Qu’elle soit extra ou ordinaire
Chaque vie finit d'la même manière
C'est la seule justice sur la Terre
Tous égaux dans le cimetière

I met my best friend on these forums. About 20 years ago when the newbie adoption drive things were a thing, I ended up adopting a pretty cool newb and, well, without him I probably wouldn't be here today. If you ever stumble across this post, :cheers:

digitalist has a new favorite as of 03:58 on May 19, 2023

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Lady Radia posted:

gently caress off scoundrels

never

(welcome back, friend)

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch
i did a bump of ketamine back January and realized i have autism after i read a thread on here and asked some questions (or ketamine causes autism??)and in another thread like right afterwards, hyperlexia(i overprocess language nonstop, my internal monologue is all visual language, not speech at all ever. i learned how to read at 18mo Automatically how the gently caress did i not get diagnosed or even know that was a thing

id learned how to cope by disassociating hardcore and just not paying any attention to my body and actively ignoring and doing the opposite of signals it would tell me

i think the Drugs leveled out the amount of disassociation so that everything wasn't so compartmentalized and let me notice how loving WACK my senses are, while i was reading a thing about how wack sensory issues from autism can be, and it was like oh dang

i have *extremely* sensitive hearing, can't block out sounds, ever, sensitive to light, auditory speech processing stuff makes it tough to listen to lectures & similar buf i treated everything like it was what everybody must go through, all of it

I've never given myself a break on anything I've always just thought I'm garbage if i haven't been able to figure something out - I'm pretty good at figuring things out
which tricked me into thinking i wasn't trying hard enough with anything not Normal or that I'd struggle with where most people don't and it made me v. frustrated and fulla self loathing

There's a thing that's common with autism called alexithymia where you can't process/identify your emotions and I've had that heavy for like a decade at least and just felt dead inside and everything outside too harsh & don't know why

i thought i was just old or something but I'd been trying to live as a person that never actually existed kinda, handwaving stuff as just "oh ive got sensitive hearing" "oh I'm just kinda awkward/absent minded "and burying anything that stuck out

Because Society Punishes You Very Harshly - i never had a diagnosis so everything was My Fault. Gaslit by reality since childhood lol no really think about that it sucks to have people expect things from you that you will Never naturally do and to also scold and ridicule the things that you do do, for your whole life oh my god
Confusing poo poo jf c

when i figured out wtf it was and stopped saying 'nah it's some other reason, one that's my fault because i could change it but don't', I had parts of my life suddenly reframe in the context of having quite extensive neurological differences from most people and not just because im one Weird Fucker whos No Good

It was like a big knot came undone and i had emotions come dumping out like some poo poo in a movie or how ayhuasca trips sound, i felt poo poo i haven't felt since i was a child, stuff that had been locked up and never allowed to process, super clearly. I've never heard of this happening to anyone ever?

it happened for like 2 weeks, each day it'd build up I'd dump out memories and emotions and reprocess them in a way that made sense, puke (???was weird), and then have emotions radiating through my skin and crystal clear and slept great and like connected to myself when i haven't been for most of my life

I've been covering up a lot of parts of myself 24/7 more of my life than not and still don't really know who i am but at least I'm not ignoring every signal thats like 'this is me' 'i like/don't like this'

it feels good to have the person you are make sense to you? lol

my whole life I've only ever focused on things that aren't myself, ever, because i never made any sense to myself or anyone else and that was frustrating as gently caress so I'd just detach and be sad, this has been the first time in decades i don't feel that way its cool :cheers:

long but anyway thats my story thanks something awful forums but also kinda gently caress you for making me think autism was fedoraguy stereotypes for like a decade plus from you shitheads(incl. me) perpetuating em instead of recognizing it was the literal thing i was struggling with my whole life, which you ultimately helped me figure out, so in the end:
thank you, and ketamine

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

FirstnameLastname posted:

thank you, and ketamine

I'm about to try ketamine for the first time this summer, will report back if it makes me autistic too

It's rough having a neurological issue and not recieving a proper diagnosis as a child, and can lead to some terrible self image issues. I'm glad you're no longer so hard on yourself. I had a partner with terrible ADHD who was untreated and undiagnosed until their 30's. They and their family had always just assumed they were dumb or other health issues were why they could no longer read for pleasure and had terrible memory.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
A long time ago I met a girl on here and it turned out we lived in the same dorm. We ended up dating and that didn’t work out she was cool and knowing her was/is cool.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009
Stumbled back here after the Reddit third party apps drama after years of hiatus. It was wild to read through some of the other posts and think about how SA has impacted me as I've grown up. Here's the big ones that stand out to me.

- Taught me to not low effort post (this one excluded) for fear of becoming the ridicule of the internet.

- When I started going bald at 19, I found a thread that gave me the courage to shave my head. I had panic attacks going anywhere without a hat on. Was terrified of national anthems, weddings, or anything where a hat was not appropriate. In a weird and unexpected way, this was a pivotal moment where I actually started to feel like I could love myself.

- After a long time, I realized I was a "nice guy" from reading around the forums and other posters. Lots of posts in multiple threads gave me advice on how to break a toxic outlook on myself and the world. I bought new clothes that fit, started working out, faced fears about my own insecurities. I've read posts from other internet places from myself around that time, and I can't help but cringe. I became a much better person from all of that. Even if the words were sometimes harsh, I needed them to quit my bullshit.

- All the financial advice for long term investing. This has, and continues to be, a massive boon to my life and I've passed on the information I learned from that thread and helped others. I never wrote Jack Bogle a dang letter, and it haunts me all the time.

- In 2017 my marriage fell apart, and I was completely devastated. E/N and especially TheCenturion helped me with accepting the end of that relationship and developing coping mechanisms I didn't have. I'm a much more resilient person today directly from the skills that thread taught me.

It's crazy to see those line items take up so little text space but mean so much more to me. To see the posting UI be almost exactly the same from so many years ago is oddly comforting. I didn't realize how much I missed this place compared to Reddit, etc.

Thanks for the stories, goons. Here's to hoping for many more.

mrbass21 has a new favorite as of 04:35 on Jul 17, 2023

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Finding people who face similar adversities as you is wonderful and makes life a lot better, especially when you can have mutual bitching sessions about your lovely circumstances in life. I've met a number of people here who have become friends for that reason. Having others truly understand you and what you're going through really helps take some of the edge off.

Ohhai
Apr 5, 2011
Lost an incredibly close online friend who was one of the two biggest reasons I'm still alive today, then a few months later MisterFuzzles posted a picture of a cat they'd adopted, it looked just like the one she owned so I ended up messaging MisterFuzzles, and they ended up getting a list of previous owners which included my friend.

I really appreciate they went out of their way to check for me, and also love them for taking care of that old rear end cat for the rest of it's life. RIP Scout/Ceviche.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
This thread is such a nice read. We have a good community!

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

mrbass21 posted:

It's crazy to see those line items take up so little text space but mean so much more to me. To see the posting UI be almost exactly the same from so many years ago is oddly comforting. I didn't realize how much I missed this place compared to Reddit, etc.

I came here to say something like this, so I'll just quote this to add.

The new internet is so depressing. It feels like there's no places to just "hang out" that are like this place, I can't go anywhere without seven adblockers on my PC, or using my phone to browse the internet... like EVERY site is loving unusable compared to how it used to be. Every article has four lines of text then ad, four lines of text, ad. This stupid old forum is the only place I feel like I can just keep a tab open and chill, click around, go to this thread or that. Every other website I feel like I have to get in and get out and close the tab for fear of viruses or some stupid loving video auto playing (NEWS SITES) like holy poo poo.

Y'all are keeping me sane

Suspekt Device
Jan 9, 2017

The first time I legit attempted suicide was around 2001 and I read the Troll 2 review shortly prior to that and thought it was the funniest thing ever. This obviously had zero effect on saving my life. But in the troubled teen facility I was sent to after I puked ambien all over my bedroom, I made sure to read the Cliff Yablonski updates during the bi-weekly access I had to the interweb for one hour. Thank you Cliff Yablonski.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Nucular Carmul posted:

I came here to say something like this, so I'll just quote this to add.

The new internet is so depressing. It feels like there's no places to just "hang out" that are like this place, I can't go anywhere without seven adblockers on my PC, or using my phone to browse the internet... like EVERY site is loving unusable compared to how it used to be. Every article has four lines of text then ad, four lines of text, ad. This stupid old forum is the only place I feel like I can just keep a tab open and chill, click around, go to this thread or that. Every other website I feel like I have to get in and get out and close the tab for fear of viruses or some stupid loving video auto playing (NEWS SITES) like holy poo poo.

Y'all are keeping me sane

I second that. I joined ages ago and have seen this site change and mature, but it's still the same sort of place it's always been, and when there was a possibility of it shutting down I had a genuine fear of losing the only online community that I participate in, one that isn't run by a corporation hoping to get more ad revenue or whatever.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

My husband and I got married a few years ago. We were doing a cheap wedding, like super cheap because we were broke. The Goons found out and put up a wedding fund for us. It was really amazing.

You guys showed up when my husband's family didn't even come to the wedding. They thought I married the wrong brother. Boy were they wrong ❤️

Anyway we started together living on a bus and now we're building our own house from scratch almost a decade later. The efforts and support of the Goons will never be forgotten.

Edit: and before that, the relationship posts and comments to them a very long time ago made me realize that I was in a terribly abusive relationship that was not going to get better. So I left my lovely abusive ex and found someone that actually loved me. Hence the wonderful wedding. So thanks for helping me see my worth too, people!

Scathach has a new favorite as of 19:35 on Feb 2, 2024

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I don't have anything quite so heartfelt, just a lot of random bits of knowledge and advice that I've accumulated my years on this forum. Though the one goon I've met IRL kept me in a hobby that allowed me to meet some other people who are really important to me, so shouts to soopafly who is alive but doesn't post anymore.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Scathach posted:

My husband and I got married a few years ago. We were doing a cheap wedding, like super cheap because we were broke. The Goons found out and put up a wedding fund for us. It was really amazing.

You guys showed up when my husband's family didn't even come to the wedding. They thought I married the wrong brother. Boy were they wrong ❤️

Anyway we started together living on a bus and now we're building our own house from scratch almost a decade later. The efforts and support of the Goons will never be forgotten.

Edit: and before that, the relationship posts and comments to them a very long time ago made me realize that I was in a terribly abusive relationship that was not going to get better. So I left my lovely abusive ex and found someone that actually loved me. Hence the wonderful wedding. So thanks for helping me see my worth too, people!

Clicked this thread by mistake, read your post anyway. I'm happy it works out for you! Here's to a happy life

:love:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Karate Bastard posted:

Clicked this thread by mistake, read your post anyway. I'm happy it works out for you! Here's to a happy life

:love:

Thanks! :love: My life has gotten infinitely better since moving the hell out of the desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Scathach posted:

This rules & I love when complete strangers can come together to make someone's day (or celebration) better :3: