Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009
Stumbled back here after the Reddit third party apps drama after years of hiatus. It was wild to read through some of the other posts and think about how SA has impacted me as I've grown up. Here's the big ones that stand out to me.

- Taught me to not low effort post (this one excluded) for fear of becoming the ridicule of the internet.

- When I started going bald at 19, I found a thread that gave me the courage to shave my head. I had panic attacks going anywhere without a hat on. Was terrified of national anthems, weddings, or anything where a hat was not appropriate. In a weird and unexpected way, this was a pivotal moment where I actually started to feel like I could love myself.

- After a long time, I realized I was a "nice guy" from reading around the forums and other posters. Lots of posts in multiple threads gave me advice on how to break a toxic outlook on myself and the world. I bought new clothes that fit, started working out, faced fears about my own insecurities. I've read posts from other internet places from myself around that time, and I can't help but cringe. I became a much better person from all of that. Even if the words were sometimes harsh, I needed them to quit my bullshit.

- All the financial advice for long term investing. This has, and continues to be, a massive boon to my life and I've passed on the information I learned from that thread and helped others. I never wrote Jack Bogle a dang letter, and it haunts me all the time.

- In 2017 my marriage fell apart, and I was completely devastated. E/N and especially TheCenturion helped me with accepting the end of that relationship and developing coping mechanisms I didn't have. I'm a much more resilient person today directly from the skills that thread taught me.

It's crazy to see those line items take up so little text space but mean so much more to me. To see the posting UI be almost exactly the same from so many years ago is oddly comforting. I didn't realize how much I missed this place compared to Reddit, etc.

Thanks for the stories, goons. Here's to hoping for many more.

mrbass21 has a new favorite as of 04:35 on Jul 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU