Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
The ship might be going down, but we've all had some good memories on Something Awful. Let's talk about the times our fellow posters helped us out of a bad place and made us feel like we weren't quite as alone in the world.

A couple years ago I was in a disastrous place - an unemployed trans woman with no local support network, a single parent of what seemed like a permanently-intransigent child, chronically ill, and approaching my 40th birthday with no hope in sight - and I melted down one night in PYF. At the end of the meltdown I asked Literally A Bird for a probation; the stated reason was so I could get my head on straight, but the truth was that I expected to end that night no longer able to come back to the forums. I'd even put "send a message to the mods" in the notes I'd planned to send so they could perma my account.

LAB sent back an unexpectedly kind note. I don't remember exactly what she said, but it was gentle and positive and forgiving - and it gave me enough hope to set my plans aside for one night. And the next day, I decided I could set them aside for another, and I kept doing that until I didn't have the impulse anymore.

It's not an exaggeration to say that that one act of kindness kept me alive, and I'll never forget it.

How have Something Awful and its posters helped you and improved your life?

(Let's keep this a shitpost-free zone, please. I know it's tradition but a lot of us are feeling a little melancholy right now and we could use some unalloyed positivity!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Y'all are amazing. I love this place.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Flint_Paper posted:

I am mainly posting to say that your avatar is rad as hell and it's a joy to see you post.

I have to second this. I smile every time I see your avatar, Strix. :)

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Thank you all for sharing your success stories.

Good night.