Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Soon after I stopped lurking and joined the forum I went through a messy breakup. Reading E/N and learning what not to do helped me get through it, but what also helped me get through it was losing like 60 pounds largely because of advice I got from W&W (YLLS). I stuck around there and learned how to take care of my body and took up running, up to ultramarathons. In the middle of the night, in the middle of a 80km+ race, on more than one occasion, part of what kept me going was thinking about what I’d post in the running thread.

Every time I need to find good information about a new hobby or interest I look for a thread in SA, and I always find one and it is always filled with knowledgeable and passionate people who give great advice. Sometimes that advice is harsh and raw but it’s inevitably helpful.

In general SA has really helped me be a better person, in terms of my politics, my approach to dealing with others, and just how I deal with the world. The last few days really drove home how much this forum means to me. I am really hopeful that the ownership move happens and that the incredible community can stay together, because this is really the best place on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It’s part of the reason I like the goonfund. Yeah there are always going to be issues with scammers and yeah you don’t get a charitable donation, but stuff like this:

quote:

Goonfund just literally saved my life by funding the stupid expensive prescriptions i need bc i don't have insurance 💖💖💖

makes me happy to contribute / see that others have to. This community is good and the people in it are good.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My grandfather is 91 and doesn’t post much but with the pandemic, he doesn’t get out much and- he’s been enjoying lurking on this site (and finally got up the guts to post in the MilHist thread). It’s some outside world contact that’s not all algorithm stuff like Facebook is.

I keep telling him to post in PYF.

This rules