Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Treguna Mekoides posted:

Beyond the usual "port in a storm" sort of story I think we all have, I can point to the fact a goon may have genuinely saved my life. In the unspooling, general chatting of the infamous "I married an anime guy in the astral" thread years ago, a goon brought up that a childhood story I told in that "I think this story is funny because I haven't dealt with its events yet" way made it sound like I had bipolar, a mild seizure disorder, or some other serious poo poo wrong with me. Definitely something wrong with the friends who had been treating me that way, too. I was spooked by that. I saw how my behavior had been getting weirder/meaner/shorter through my mid-20s at that point, so I went to the doctor. A new doctor, not the doctor who dismissed my symptoms or questions.

Let's just say I've been on medication, seeing a health team on and off, and quite happy and event-free for several years. Thanks, goon, I can't remember! You might have, statistically, saved my life by going "Your poo poo is hosed!" without judgment. It was so hosed! Thank you.

That is awesome. That was one of my early favorite threads when I first got here (I still have it in my thread bookmarks, even). It was one of the threads that made me laugh so hard I couldn't breathe.

I originally discovered Something Awful because someone on another site linked to the Ask Me About Being A Birthday Party Princess thread (which has since dropped off into the archives). I stayed for the other A/T threads, including the "anime guys" one and the religionchat thread, as well as BFC.

That brings me to how SA has improved my life. If I hadn't discovered BFC, I wouldn't have YNAB, nor would I have a healthy and forward-thinking attitude toward money. If I hadn't read D&D, I wouldn't understand how privileged I am, how hosed the world is, and what I can do to make some things a little better. On a more personal/spiritual note, I had some incidental exposure to authoritarian fundamentalism as a dumb teenager, and if it hadn't been for Prester Jane's original authoritarian thread and the Slacktivist takedown of the Left Behind series that someone linked to in that thread, I don't know if I would even think it was possible that I could change my perspective on the universe, or that I could start to heal and move forward from that perspective. PJ's perspective shed light on what was happening to the world in a way that makes so much sense to me, and I'm glad I found her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU