Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Picnic Princess posted:

Some of my best friends I've met through here. I have yet to meet up with them irl but many I chat with every day. I hope to meet them in person someday.

Prepare to be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Every goon I’ve met IRL has been fun to hang with. I mean, in the ten years I’ve been regged (as of today!) that’s been like four goons but still, all good people.

Every goon I've met has been nice too. That just means it's probably me that is the goonie one.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

credburn posted:

A decade and more ago I got in trouble for some stuff I didn't really have anything to do with but was in such a way that I could not detach myself from it, so I was going to commit suicide. I made some mention of it, talked about the pragmatism of it, and while a lot of goons were like DO IT DO IT and others were kind of helpful, someone (I don't know who) did some Internet sleuthing, somehow discovered my name (which I don't recall ever giving out back then) and then found some family members and told them about it. I don't know if that saved my life, necessarily, but that action did clue my family in on what was happening, which changed the entire dynamic of everything and that wouldn't have happened otherwise. I sure wasn't going to tell my family about my plans. I was really pissed off at the time, because to me it only complicated what was supposed to be kind of a simple exit.

Well, for better or worse, I'm here, still alive. It's not hard to imagine a separate universe where that person didn't make a call and I never had my family get upset with me and then poofed out of here forever.

Just empty quoting this to say I'm glad you're here to still post.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Inzombiac posted:

I have chronic sleeping issues so I'll play games with Goons in the wee hours.

I was having an especially hard time and mentioned it in the guild chat of SFD. Someone, and I hate that I forget who, chatted with me privately for a few hours until I felt better. When I go a few days without sleeping, I am at risk of self-harm and having someone be patient and reasonable with me helped re-calibrate how I think during those episodes.

SA is a community I've come to rely on for a long while now and I seriously don't know if I'd be alive without it.

Wait, our usernames aren't meant to be ironic?

gently caress.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

crowtribe posted:

SA got me through my initial realisation I had some pretty crippling depression that I had been shying away from facing and finally started seeking treatment. People were often an open book about their lives and personal struggles in the oddest of threads that it was the first step in being able to talk about it openly in my real life.

More than that though, is seeing the evolution of the forums and what it's done for others. I'm a white, hetero, cis male, I've never really needed to struggle for anything in my life, and if I did, there was always an official support network in place for me. But I saw in more and more posts over time the discussions of others from gender, sexual and racial minorities come out with their stories and feelings and pushed me to support, advocate and educate myself for others, particularly in fields and life experiences I'd never otherwise have encountered.

SA can be good people, and it's good to see it helping others when they need it.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

JacquelineDempsey posted:

As a newly minted IK, I can now lay the smack down on assholes.

I wish there was some way I could use that power to elevate non-assholes people like you to "gently caress YEAH" posting status. Because gently caress YEAH. You good peeps, my friend.

Probe's but with a cat for the reason.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

cherry13chumscum posted:

I like you guys a lot but I am out of here. Mods are gassing the Lowtax threads. That is not just lovely, it destroys the free speech that the Internet was supposed to provide. I'm now on https://www.something-waffle.com and the hell with this place. No offense to all you goons. Or well most of you anyway

drat, I heard you had some fat titties and was hoping to see them posted here one day. Sources close to King Jeffrey say he is looking at removing the home grown rule. Shine bright at your new home comrade.

Please note I will sue you if you use my avatar there and disrespect me.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's taken therapy and time to get used to posting here, as well as lots of instances of me posting and then not getting probed/yelled at/etc for it. Keep at it, your avatar is real cute too!

Cheat at Baba once, win forever, god I love this avatar. PS Don't ever look up a solution for a puzzle game.

"low-tier poster" who cares keep posting, your rapsheet is relatively clean meaning you don't poo poo up threads therefore you're a good one keep at it.

I take the opposite view on probes. They're just the price of playing. Obviously this changes when they become longer and more frequent but sometimes you gotta fly close to the sun just to feel a bit warm.

Sometimes you just want a cat on there too.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

:respek:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The person who does not post out of fear of probation has already probated themselves

There we go, it's now attributed to you.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Cowslips Warren posted:

Some years ago I remember a goon who lived close to me (like a city or so away) posting about his bad day cause he had lost his jobs and his kids were hungry. This was way before Uber, so I overnighted a box of nonperishable food to him. Pretty sure the bread got crushed, sorry goon! But he sent me this teary thank you email, which helped me realize I have a lot of things, and if I can help one person a day, I'm doing good.

PISS and SASS has gotten me so many amazingly cool art things that I started making paintings and other things for homemade gifts.

On that note way back in the day when I had a lot more disposable income than now I gifted a goon some money as they'd been laid off right before Christmas. It was less than I would have spent at the bar on any given Friday night so it's not like it was hurting me and the feeling I got knowing that they could get xmas presents for the family was way better a feeling than booze ever gave me.

While I still give to charity when I can it's not the same as the tangible results you get from helping someone directly.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Nessus posted:

A goon helped me move for the low price of a delicious Wendy's meal. Later, a different set of goons taught me how to make ten thousand dollars. My forums investment has repaid itself immensely! I am glad we are all here.

drat I wish goons had taught me how to make money. All I've learned is how to laugh at a distended rectum

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

RFC2324 posted:

the gently caress is a rules thread?

It's for the people who rule, probably why you've never heard of it :colbert:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

SA has helped me not take politics quite so seriously since I joined. I still worry and rage over it, often when I'm catching up on politics threads I follow here. The last four or five years has given me lots of material for that, as we all know. But reading threads where people make fun of fash-y politicians and cartoonists has helped me develop more of a sense of humor instead of just despairing all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Bargearse posted:

Being a member of these forums gave me a pretty good idea of what to expect when I visited the US and Canada a few years ago.

BYOB also helped me deal with a pretty rough breakup. Just being able to vent to a bunch of internet strangers really made a difference.

You really shouldn't have written your name in piss on her door. I don't care how horny the chips made you.