Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I have innumerable stories and anecdotes of things I have learned from these forums since 2001. What's been posted so far are very powerful; mine are more subtle in how they have helped to shape my view and understanding of the world as each generation brings its perspective. As an old boomer, at times it can be a little maddening to watch people feel their way through life experiences I've already had...but the solutions were at times ingenious and elegant, far more than my own...so although I have been that "appeal to authority" guy (hopefully with a light touch most of the time) I have learned and thus profited more from yours.

Time and again I've been educated by your life experiences.

The most important thing was the prevention of permanent damage to my relationship with my son over the issue of employment. As a boomer I did work hard and take opportunity to get my career going...in 1985, and I have been constantly employed in my chosen profession since then. I last rented in 1992. Between those two arcs, I lost complete perspective on both the job and rental markets in the US. On these forums, over & over, I developed a picture of how lovely the job market had become coupled with the hideous increase in rents.

After a year of hectoring my kid to "go out and find a full-time job, what's with all this part-time crap" it finally worked through my thick skull/experience (now dead as dinosaurs) that that last two generations have worked harder than I ever had to to find even marginal part-time work, usually multiple jobs...and that it's cheaper to own a home around here than to rent - if you can get over the hump of accruing a down payment.

I had a long talk with my son, and expressed my mortification and apologized for being so far out of touch. Thank you all, and I look forward to more years of enlightenment (and idiocy!)

On a lighter note: I nearly had a nervous breakdown during the Bush years, so Trump was just...I couldn't. The forums have allowed me to keep track of political current events without succumbing to the holocaust of idiocy. Like using a camera obscura to watch an eclipse without burning out your retinas. And current events, and the righteous response by free thinkers, has given me hope.

And finally, a direct example.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812091

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Saved to remind me to order when you have stock!