Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
j4g (join 4 goonmeets)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I actually posted on General Mayhem through my high school years and lurked here when I could. Shortly after I started college and was paying attention to the Battlefield 3 thread the paywall went up and I figured I should finally get an account to post about it once it launched. Glad I did, I've had nothing but good come from here

A lot of us moved from GenMay to SA. I think there was a big migration shortly after they found out one of the tough talking mods was a 'pizza faced loser'. If I recall correctly, the mod never came back after their picture surfaced.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Valiantman posted:

I found out about Dwarf Fortress somewhere and then of course found Boatmurdered and LP Archive. Then I figured out where those hilarious LPs were coming from. I had to subscribe when I wanted to follow Grey Hunter's Let's Plays.

This is literally my exact path here. A friend suggested I check out Boatmurdered. I stumbled on to the first Grey Hunter War in the Pacific LP and soon bought an account to post in it.

pthighs fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 30, 2021

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I was on a forum for a cartoon back in 2005 and made a friend named Hazo here. He got me involved in a game called AstroEmpires with a ton of Goons, so I then joined the forums.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
One day I was so indescribably bored I started browsing the forum on the xkcd site; there was a thread there complaining about the xkcd parodies made by some mean-spirited oafs at a place called The Something Awful Forums. They had foolishly provided a link, which I clicked; and years later I still haven't left.

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021
I was reading the book Empires of EVE and I got to the chapter where the author first starts talking in depth about Goons and it sounded like SA was a fun place to be.

Et Earello Endorenna utulie'n. Sinome maruvan ar-Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

imperiusdamian posted:

I was reading the book Empires of EVE and I got to the chapter where the author first starts talking in depth about Goons and it sounded like SA was a fun place to be.

oof

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

imperiusdamian posted:

Look up “JFG” in the index

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Wake_N_Bake posted:

J4G, said 'jag'. https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2408

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

Do I count if I had accounts before 2010? I think I first registered in 2000 or 2001 or thereabouts, on the recommendation of some weirdo in high school.

This account came after several years of absence and had no particular purpose.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
internet friends from an IRC channel i was on in the early 2010s really liked SA and we all joined

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'd been following goon LPs since like 2009 or so, but it wasn't until I ran out of stuff on the LP archive that I decided to actually make an account, specifically just to follow threads in LP. Now I moderate it so it's a success story hard question mark

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I got the sudden urge to make a Let's Play of SHENZHEN I/O. A friend of mine, who was a goon, said, "I know a place where you can post it..."

The rest is history.

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Nah. Didn't J4G. Moe like joined from book.

thelizzerd
Nov 12, 2021
I had heard it mentioned around a few places. Including the YouTube channel Wang! and the podcasts the f plus and extra credit. I lurked around a while then eventually was like gently caress it. Made an account.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
Someone told me in 2008 or earlier that one of the founders was from Fresno so I checked it out, then I spent a long time lurking and reading PTN's Lets Play Battletech. Then I got trapped on an island and was going crazy so I finally caved and registered at some point when the paywall up.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

I love learning about weird/lovely movies, music, video games, toys & candies (even though I never really had a sweet tooth or collection of the latter two), especially the stuff that was/isn't really known/available in Germany, and I found I-mockery through either googling Splatterhouse or Riki-Oh in the early 2000s & was instantly a fan (TW if you want to look it up: suicide). I craved more of that sort so eventually I found the SA front page which looked more like a laundry list of links to articles back then. Either one of those was the first: the energy bars, energy drinks or game demo reviews that lowtax did. Pretty sure that was in 2003 or so, also Doom House came out around that time which naturally, being teens, me & my friends liked & shared a whole lot. Most of that old front page material I read/watched kind of blends together in my mind and a lot of it probably doesn't hold up well today, like swap.avi was shocking and hilarious to me back then, now I feel bad for the poor women that were obviously abused & exploited for some goon's terrible kink and a couple bucks, I still find myself thinking about some dumb stuff like Time Wizards and I revisit some of the articles like WTF D&D occasionally though. I guess it's the same for the forums, it's good that Helldump isn't a thing anymore (well, at least not on SA) but I fondly remember watching some of the legendary goony tales unfold when the paywall wasn't up. Kind of ironic that I bought an account with all the bells and whistles (archives lol) now that the paywall seems to be gone for the forums in general, but I'm making decent money for some time now & felt like I wanted to give something back for the thousands of hours of entertainment I had for almost 20 years.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Knew about the forums as early as the mid-00s from still-active goon Ice Phisherman, who was on another message board with me and told me it was worth the tenbux. Was still too scared to join right away because I thought I'd be banned immediately for some hair-splitting reason. Lurked for a few years and was a senior in college when I joined.

E: mis-read the thread title, thought this was asking for goons 2010 and later :v:

emptyrave
May 13, 2022

I first heard of SA when Lowtax was on a TechTV show in the early/mid 2000s and he said the forums cost $100/month to use. I didn't realize he was joking (I was ~13 years old) and thought it was a forum for rich people, then never heard about it again for a long time

E: hi

emptyrave fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 27, 2022

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I played a lot of browser games in the late 2000s like Astro Empires, CyberNations, and UrbanDead. Goon alliances were always there and always among the biggest movers and shakers and always seemed to be the only ones having fun instead of humorlessly tryharding. I think I joined the forums after signing up with the second GOONS alliance in CyberNations? I'm honestly not really sure.

I do know GOONS also had the best tags in peace and war:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I got into Marble Hornets and found out all 3 of the main actors had profiles on SA which lead me to checking this place out.