Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I've had an account at this site for 11 years, and have been following it in general for a bit longer than that, but have been content to lurk and only really posted anything tonight, let alone made a thread in GBS. I've noticed that a bunch of other lurkers have seen fit to make their voices heard tonight (mostly to say "gently caress Lowtax") and I'm wonering, what's your story, fellow silent forum partners? Why join? Why stay quiet? And now that you've started posting, where do you, do WE, go from here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

oh my god

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

penis

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i was called out in a helldump "call out the lurkers" thread and i have never felt safe since

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

I joined nearly 20 years ago, because nothing on the internet made me laugh like SA. I lurk because I rarely feel like I have anything to contribute - consumer culture runs deep.

Android Lust
Sep 2, 2012

I average 0.03 posts per day because I'm scared of what people will think of me.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Posting gives me heart palpitations

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Makeout Patrol posted:

i was called out in a helldump "call out the lurkers" thread and i have never felt safe since

Lol this is just awesome.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Yes Lurkers Anonymous. L.A.

This is good.

I would like to hear what would make you post? Any ideas?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Shut up and go post in your discord

DonJNavarro
Aug 16, 2000
I am so smart!....S-M-R-T!

:dukedog:
i mostly post to check my reg date

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

I was a lurker once, much like yourself. Shuffling my way through topic after topic, refusing to engage myself directly in the dialog because that wasn't how i wanted to consume this sort entertainment. But then you get that first post, oh god that first post. You never forget it, hits fast like viper but the high bubbles through your head all day. Then you'll create a topic, then reply to another poster who started recognizing your username, and next thing you know you'll be emptyquoting every response you agree with and spending hours searching through the smilies for just the RIGHT ONE to express your opinion on whatever trivial derail you've decided to invest yourself in. You'll have the mobile app open on your lap replying to a post while refreshing the thread on your laptop to make sure you haven't fallen behind the fast-paced raw entertainment you're sure to be wowing all those lurkers with your hot takes on. Lurkers that you once identified with but sadly can now barely remember how or why, the very thought of the forums without your voice in every thread a vague memory you'll bring up to whatever lurker decides to come out of the woodwork breaking in their fresh virgin posing gloves for the first time. Next thing you know you've spent god knows how much money on buying strangers you'll never meet avatars of random Saturday morning cartoons you remember watching as a child and trying to Photoshop captain crunch saying "Eat poo poo" into an emote small enough to purchase as a smilie.

Anyway posting is cool, 10/10 would recommend

Android Lust
Sep 2, 2012

Spinz posted:

Yes Lurkers Anonymous. L.A.

This is good.

I would like to hear what would make you post? Any ideas?

Finding friends to post with.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Yeah the "lurkers" and parachutes turned up to try and destroy the site.

As we have seen, they are the idiots and the site goes on.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

A Grand Egg posted:

Yeah the "lurkers" and parachutes turned up to try and destroy the site.

As we have seen, they are the idiots and the site goes on.

No
There has always been huge numbers of lurkers, seriously. This is not the pissed off banned that came back to crow at all.

Promise. I've been aware of them for almost a year- a thread got made where a whole bunch posted many months ago.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Goon that doesn't post has already banned himself in his heart

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

nothing valued is here

Spinz posted:

No
There has always been huge numbers of lurkers, seriously. This is not the pissed off banned that came back to crow at all.

Promise. I've been aware of them for almost a year- a thread got made where a whole bunch posted.

That was the thread where burt challenged me to my first topic i think, good times

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Android Lust posted:

Finding friends to post with.

They are everywhere

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I got this weird thing where every time I cum i fart, but I don't cum every time I fart

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

RepeatingMeme posted:

That was the thread where burt challenged me to my first topic i think, good times

It was fantastic, can you link it here?

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
You just need to look in the Yikeseroo thread to see all these accounts who never post being extremely vocal and angry and wanting to destroy the site.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom
I don’t have anything interesting to say!

DrOnline
Oct 21, 2007
I usually just read the super informative threads on whatever new thing I've decided to get into and SA always has a ton of information on anything (woodworking, archery, piano, whatever). Usually its only for a few minutes before bed though so its hard to keep up with threads that are a mile a minute Hot Dog Altruism rollercoasters. Now that the forums are burning down it feels like a waste not to slam the post button.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

A Grand Egg posted:

You just need to look in the Yikeseroo thread to see all these accounts who never post being extremely vocal and angry and wanting to destroy the site.

I read most of it
These are different groups!! And I was extremely angry myself

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

nothing valued is here

Spinz posted:

It was fantastic, can you link it here?
This one? or the Post, Lurkers thread?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Leave them both but the post lurkers thread

60 pages
NOT trying to hurt site at all

Metrilenkki
Aug 1, 2007

Oldskool av for lowtaxes medical fund gobbless u -fellow roamingdad
I joined in 2007 and had lurked for some years prior. I mostly didn't post b/c I felt that I had nothing of note to contribute. Now I am too busy with kids, work, hobbies and a side business to bother with effortposts, or really posting at all.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
I've got a long time lurker question, how late is too late to quote something to reply to it in a thread? 1 page later?

Usually I end up reading a thread from the start and by the time I find something I want to reply to its pages between me and the end of the thread.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Lurker thread!!?? OH HELLS YEAH!!!

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

WilWheaton posted:

I've got a long time lurker question, how late is too late to quote something to reply to it in a thread? 1 page later?

Usually I end up reading a thread from the start and by the time I find something I want to reply to its pages between me and the end of the thread.

:justpost:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

WilWheaton posted:

Grab posting by the hojos. QUOTE THE POST!$! DO IT!!!!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just quote, if someone complains about it, call 'em a nerd :cool:

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

nothing valued is here

WilWheaton posted:

Never, :justpost: . worst case is someone calls your a mean name or you get probed and your badboy factor makes you an even cooler

edit: drat beaten

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

WilWheaton posted:

I get away with murder as an old and do it a few pages back all the time.

If it's an informative interesting answer I think no limit

If it's a joke , well, it has to be so good I usually chicken out.

Someone else please give their opinion

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Hoping to break average 1 post per day before 2020 is ober

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

WilWheaton posted:

it's never too late. if someone else objects, just quote them and say "lol"

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

nothing valued is here

TheAardvark posted:

it's never too late. if someone else objects, just quote them and say "lol"

lol

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

Cool , thanks guys :coolfish:

2-bits
Jun 20, 2006

He's the chief He's the king, but above everything He's the most tip top - Top Cat!

Social anxiety. Honestly though, seeing the forums about to go up in smoke made me feel pretty stupid about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

2-bits posted:

Social anxiety. Honestly though, seeing the forums about to go up in smoke made me feel pretty stupid about it.

Same man, these dead gay forums have been a huge part of my life and I barely post on them