Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kharohz
Jul 25, 2007

THE BELL TOLLS FOR THEE
I'm entertained enough by you guys, don't need to bring my own input/ego into the mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Kharohz posted:

I'm entertained enough by you guys, don't need to bring my own input/ego into the mix.

Are you kidding me? The more ego the merrier.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Kharohz posted:

Leggo my ego

zellieah
Sep 12, 2007
I joined forever ago because I liked the front page. I'm so used to just reading the threads that I almost forgot that I could post.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
I've been burned so many times by so many internet communities that turned out to be full of garbage people that these days I'm only willing to participate in online stuff at arm's length. Just occasional casual posts, no emotional investment, and the expectation of being let down when the place inevitably turns out to be absolute poo poo. If my expectations are low, it's hard to be disappointed, right? :shrug:

On top of that, I have a hard time trusting anyone who would moderate an online community willingly and without pay. It's like being a babysitter and a caretaker for the mentally disabled at the same time, without any compensation for the work or the emotional labour, and you get to be the villain whenever you have to enforce a community's rules.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

White Noise Marine posted:

Felt like lurking, might post later

:emptyquote:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
the most powerful poster of all is probably sitting here hemming and hawing about posting, unaware of their own potential

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Every now and then I feel the urge to post, I write one, look at it, feel bad, and close the tab before clicking submit. Just for you I ignored the impulse this time and look how that turned out!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Do not, my friends, become addicted to posting. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Schurik posted:

Every now and then I feel the urge to post, I write one, look at it, feel bad, and close the tab before clicking submit. Just for you I ignored the impulse this time and look how that turned out!

It's wonderful!!!

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

I've read the site for years and the word filter got annoying enough, then I used this account a few times to talk about WoW and whine in E/N but still mostly just lurk and read stuff.

Also gently caress lowtax

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

What si the posts per day limit to stay a lurker?

I had a strong lurk streak but posted a bit lately to tell Burt he was a poo poo tier mod

beef sweat
Jan 1, 2013

Dad gay so what were the lurking glory days

purplestuffedworm
Oct 11, 2012
Bought this account to read Elentor's FF7 LP years ago, the word filter was too annoying. A few years later I decided to check out the other sub-forums and ended up with about a half-dozen daily read threads. I guess I never posted because it seemed like a lot of work? Too lazy to shitpost, not sure it gets much goonier than that.

Kilborks
Sep 30, 2014
Dipping a toe into this ocean called posting

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I post in games where I have something to say occasionally and now, here, in GBS, I realize that I can post without having anything to say.

The man who has lost everything is finally free (to post)

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I just want all you lurkers to know

We'll all counting on you!

DrOnline
Oct 21, 2007
Are we accidently reviving this dead gay forum

Zeromus
Dec 11, 2004

to be honest, I always felt i'd post something stupid that would get me probated or banned. That happened a lot, so I mostly lurk.

2-bits
Jun 20, 2006

He's the chief He's the king, but above everything He's the most tip top - Top Cat!

DrOnline posted:

Are we accidently reviving this dead gay forum

I think we are. It's exciting!

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

parakeith posted:

Dad gay so what were the lurking glory days

This guy gets it

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
i never post but ive decided to run for mayor of this place. vote Killed a Girl in 96.

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

WilWheaton posted:

I've got a long time lurker question, how late is too late to quote something to reply to it in a thread? 1 page later?

Usually I end up reading a thread from the start and by the time I find something I want to reply to its pages between me and the end of the thread.

quotin' a post from page 1 cause gently caress it. In my case i'm a west coast lurker and I mostly follow the forums for hot takes on the day's events, and cat pictures. By the time I read the forums in the evenings, all the hot takes have already been made and there's not much I can say that would add to the discussion.

i've been posting more during covid because i've been working from home, and also I posted the last couple days because gently caress lowtax. Still, I'm pretty much a power lurker, I can spend hours reading the forums and not say a word.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
I got an account to read some of the threads in The Firing Range, but never posted there because those guys are way more hardcore than I'll ever be. I hung around ADTRW for a while and posted a bit in there, but let's just say I don't fit into that crowd. I visit it once in a while as they occasionally reference new manga that I haven't heard of before.

Mostly I'm only still here to occasionally catch up with the OSHA and Schadenfreude threads here in GBS.

I don't post because all my posts are just as boring as this one.

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Also, back in the old days, they really enforced the "don't post unless you have something interesting, informative, funny to say," and would probate for 1-word posts and empty quotes and not using punctuation and "aol-speak", etc. Actually, that helped make the forums good, to some extent -- most of the posts were actually pertinent to the topic -- and I think was the reason SA was considered the only "good" forums (for a while, at least).

Time change, the standards have shifted, but I think some of that old culture still lingers here and there in the forums. Maybe Jeffery will bring back the good ol' banhammer and start wailing away on the whitenoise shitposters like they used to.

Coryne
Aug 20, 2008
I just never got into the habit of posting.

the yellow dog
Dec 27, 2007

It never did anything, it just stood there, being small and yellow...I couldn't pass if The Yellow Dog was there.
i once made a post in helldump back when my username was mr. punch and someone replied “ok mr. punch.” on that day i swore i would never post again until i had torpedoed my entire life and descended into full blown alcoholism. once i did that i was always too drunk to post so I decided to stop being an alcoholic. i’m 500 days sober thanks in part to lurking the “how much drinking is too much” thread. hope you liked this story

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Any thread with a million posts per minute is great for a quick single post that no one will notice, giving a nice sense of self vindication.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

the yellow dog posted:

i once made a post in helldump back when my username was mr. punch and someone replied “ok mr. punch.” on that day i swore i would never post again until i had torpedoed my entire life and descended into full blown alcoholism. once i did that i was always too drunk to post so I decided to stop being an alcoholic. i’m 500 days sober thanks in part to lurking the “how much drinking is too much” thread. hope you liked this story

I did like it thank you for sharing and congrats on being sober.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
All my posts are bad so I try my best not to do it very often

jalen
Jun 8, 2010

Grimey Drawer
A long time ago someone called SA something along the lines of "reading a book that is constantly writing itself" and I took it to heart but in retrospect that's just like, how websites work

asimplenation
Jul 8, 2010
We can post?!?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

asimplenation posted:

We can post?!?

Twice, if you want.

BlueBull
Jan 21, 2007
I got an account because I spent a lot of time reading these forums and as I enjoyed them I felt bad for lowtax and paid 10 bucks.

Don't I look a right tit now, feeling bad for the guy hah

Anyway, apart from giving some advise for travellers coming on holiday to South Africa, I am content hanging out in the Cyrano4747 sphere of influence and reading about the cold war, general history etc.

Cherube Goldberg
Nov 15, 2014
If all you do is read through old mega threads, it can be tough to find the right time to jump ahead 100 pages

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

raspurtin posted:

Still, I'm pretty much a power lurker, I can spend hours reading the forums and not say a word.

Power lurker, I like that.

Also I thought about deleting this after I typed it - I'm gonna post anyways!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Strange but true: I'm married to a lurker out there.

Aquatic Daredevil
May 17, 2009

:fap:take that robo-juice
I used to post a fair bit, which is how I got my avatar, from a CYOA thread years ago. Now a lurker.

Lurking is a noble art :colbert:

Edit-

raspurtin posted:

Also, back in the old days, they really enforced the "don't post unless you have something interesting, informative, funny to say," and would probate for 1-word posts and empty quotes and not using punctuation and "aol-speak", etc. Actually, that helped make the forums good, to some extent -- most of the posts were actually pertinent to the topic -- and I think was the reason SA was considered the only "good" forums (for a while, at least).

Time change, the standards have shifted, but I think some of that old culture still lingers here and there in the forums. Maybe Jeffery will bring back the good ol' banhammer and start wailing away on the whitenoise shitposters like they used to.

This is accurate; I held off on registering for a good 2 years because I was sure I'd gently caress it up and get banned

Aquatic Daredevil fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 27, 2020

Melvitty
Oct 13, 2005

All the ponies in this town
are
CRAZY!
I used to post now and then a few years back, then eventually just lurked due to shyness and anxiety and also not being very interesting or funny. The forums seemed more intimidating back then, I guess.

Now that they’re not gonna die, I want to post more. Still not interesting or funny though. Oh well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Literally A Person posted:

Strange but true: I'm married to a lurker out there.

Woah, who??? is it someone in this thread??? is it me????