Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Wrr posted:

Woah, who??? is it someone in this thread??? is it me????

Look behind you. Feel my breath on your neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

forums asmr

nextlevelstart
Feb 26, 2015
I got a real red wagon

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007
*hmms and haws about posting*

oh poo poo no no no i didn't mean to po

housefullofgarbage
Jan 16, 2019

The Summer of Garbage
I never post because someone has usually already posted what I was going to say.

Same as in this thread, actually.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

housefullofgarbage posted:

I never post because someone has usually already posted what I was going to say.

QFT

Colorblind Panda
Oct 4, 2009

Wow, same.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I never used to post except drive bys and in games. Then I started posting and got probed and banned lmao... rip.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Lurking is simply the way of my people. Across generations and millennia Packrats have been observers.

I started lurking SA around p-p-p-powerbook, finally ponied up the cash when I was going to be in a place with spotty internet but good cellular data so I could keep up with important trends in shitposting.

I've never used a smilie.

panictheory
Aug 9, 2006

some of us just have anxiety, yo

Rawr Dinosaur
Feb 10, 2012
I mostly just read at work and don't feel like posting anything

micpp
Jul 21, 2007
One shall stand, one shall fall
I think it's kinda like a habit thing for me - like SA is just somewhere I read, not somewhere I post. Probably originally elements of anxiety too though.

Lambo
Nov 5, 2009
I would read the front page every 5 or 6 months in the early 2000s, and would occasionally wander into whatever forums I could access without paying. I'm ashamed to say that the Levi "HOckey" Johnston articles got me hooked, and I would check the front page a lot more often, and read whatever popular threads I could access from the front page. At some point, I wanted more. I wanted it all. So I joined.

I always intended to post when I had something to add, but at some point, I had been a member for like three years. It seemed like it would be weird.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I didn't post the first 3 years or so, when I finally started in despair and lonliness I still remember how nervous I was. I still remember the first yellow quote with a lol I got-

No poo poo I remember the exact post. :haw:
Then when you make a thread- the excitement, every post in by other goons was like a bump of good coke. I'm not exaggerating, it was like that for me. Feels good to entertain. So I started making effortthreads.

Anyway, I'm terribly afraid SA really going to die now. If not, (oc no lowtax) let's post ok? Crossing my fingers

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Spinz posted:

I didn't post the first 3 years or so, when I finally started in despair and lonliness I still remember how nervous I was. I still remember the first yellow quote with a lol I got-

No poo poo I remember the exact post. :haw:
Then when you make a thread- the excitement, every post in by other goons was like a bump of good coke. I'm not exaggerating, it was like that for me. Feels good to entertain. So I started making effortthreads.

Anyway, I'm terribly afraid SA really going to die now. If not, (oc no lowtax) let's post ok? Crossing my fingers

The minute I got my account I posted 3 threads and ate a probe.

RadCatHoarder
May 22, 2020

by Athanatos
I'm not sure why, but all this madness has finally brought me out of my posting shell, after years of lurking and over a month of lurking with an account. It just feels like ab important time to weigh in on some of the issues the forums are going through rn.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Joined cause this is like the most sane place on The internet, I lurk because im a poor and dont want to get banned. Probably gonna post more after all this madness, sorry goons.

gently caress 10 years I really need to get myself a forums AV when its confirmed that money wont go to the tax man.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

please post

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

raspurtin posted:

Also, back in the old days, they really enforced the "don't post unless you have something interesting, informative, funny to say," and would probate for 1-word posts and empty quotes and not using punctuation and "aol-speak", etc. Actually, that helped make the forums good, to some extent -- most of the posts were actually pertinent to the topic -- and I think was the reason SA was considered the only "good" forums (for a while, at least).

Time change, the standards have shifted, but I think some of that old culture still lingers here and there in the forums. Maybe Jeffery will bring back the good ol' banhammer and start wailing away on the whitenoise shitposters like they used to.

It perturbs me seeing mods post 'lol'/etc. I'd send all the chat threads into discords too. I used to wonder if high frequency chat posting made the forums expensive to run.

As you can tell from the above, I lurk because I'm not fun.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mudskipp posted:

It perturbs me seeing mods post 'lol'/etc. I'd send all the chat threads into discords too. I used to wonder if high frequency chat posting made the forums expensive to run.

As you can tell from the above, I lurk because I'm not fun.

DrOnline posted:

Also same. If the alternative is reddit I would rather jam a lifetime of posting in here as fast as possible

The Fat Swordsman posted:

I'm a useless white noise poster every where I go, but I hate those and scroll past them in every thread! So I just don't post anything instead. Seems to work out.

And I joined on an ugly day, the day that the paywall came up on Let's Play because of the Dangan Ronpa thread. I wish I hadn't done that, but I wanted to keep reading the forums!!!

Hic Sunt Dracones posted:

I joined in 2004, but I very rarely post anything, and most of my small number of posts were in the first couple years after I joined. Despite my lack of posts, I do read the forums quite regularly and have done so consistently since a couple years before I registered.

There’s no complex or interesting reason why I prefer to lurk and read than to post. It doesn’t make me anxious or self-conscious, and I don’t care about how others might react to my posts. I just don’t usually have a desire to contribute. In any given discussion, there’s a good chance someone else has already taken the position I would, but I don’t see any value in empty-quoting them just to say, “I agree.”

Also I find my username to be stupid; I will acknowledge that’s probably a factor in my remaining mostly a lurker (not that a name change is too expensive). It was actually a product of a GBS thread circa 2008 (?) by former admin Livestock called something like, “If you post ITT I will change your username to something you will not like.” I can’t complain about getting exactly the result that was promised.

Team Beagle posted:

Even now while this forum is in chaos I've started writing half a dozen replies and deleted them without submitting because I wasn't happy with them, nothing of value was lost

Kharohz posted:

I'm entertained enough by you guys, don't need to bring my own input/ego into the mix.

Zeromus posted:

to be honest, I always felt i'd post something stupid that would get me probated or banned. That happened a lot, so I mostly lurk.

Buckets posted:

All my posts are bad so I try my best not to do it very often

Aquatic Daredevil posted:

I used to post a fair bit, which is how I got my avatar, from a CYOA thread years ago. Now a lurker.

Lurking is a noble art :colbert:

Edit-

This is accurate; I held off on registering for a good 2 years because I was sure I'd gently caress it up and get banned

Melvitty posted:

I used to post now and then a few years back, then eventually just lurked due to shyness and anxiety and also not being very interesting or funny. The forums seemed more intimidating back then, I guess.

Now that they’re not gonna die, I want to post more. Still not interesting or funny though. Oh well!

Jadus posted:

I joined nearly 20 years ago, because nothing on the internet made me laugh like SA. I lurk because I rarely feel like I have anything to contribute - consumer culture runs deep.

Android Lust posted:

I average 0.03 posts per day because I'm scared of what people will think of me.

aqu posted:

I don’t have anything interesting to say!

Metrilenkki posted:

I joined in 2007 and had lurked for some years prior. I mostly didn't post b/c I felt that I had nothing of note to contribute. Now I am too busy with kids, work, hobbies and a side business to bother with effortposts, or really posting at all.

2-bits posted:

Social anxiety. Honestly though, seeing the forums about to go up in smoke made me feel pretty stupid about it.

I just wanted to earnestly say I read n appreciated every lurkers posts itt and its good to see so many people and i hope you post more. The first post is always the hardest and i understand the initial anxiety, the hesitation-- well what if someone hates it or i get made fun of or whatever and i do understand, but gently caress it :justpost: even if you have nothing to say, just quote someone and go "lol" or : agreed :, we don't have upvotes (thank god, upvotes are loving terrible) so it's the goon form of it. i think the only reason i stopped lurking in like 2006 was because I was a very reserved and shy writer and I had to write a college-admissions and used the forums as a way to just open up and get past that to write things, as terrible as they would be. jokes on me tho bc i went to community college+transfer route and so all that was wasted and now ive obliterated 15 years making bad post.

Every thread is actually very welcoming despite appearance of cliques here and there and i understand that anxiety there too of feeling like barging in or whatever: you don't need to introduce yourself, just spew some letters onto the screen and click that button, nobody will care and before long you'll be making too many posts a day. even if you think you have nothing to add, and god(dead) knows I know all my posts are white noise trash, just go for it

Also its loving 2020, like, holy poo poo. Nothing is going to be the same in our lifetimes and in 2025 we'll probably be looking back thinking "man, 2020 was a loving good year holy poo poo" so make :justpost:

Xaris fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jun 27, 2020

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

covid and the protests got me a'postin' again. I was a hardcore lurker in pyf and d&d politics threads until the schadenfreude and OSHA threads brought me back to GBS. Now I can't stop watching protest livestreams and going insane. thanks guys I really needed that

e- SA got me into punk which make sure I'd never end up a chud, which made sure I was the type of dumbass to read d&d threads, which means you're basically responsible for me a decent human being. your mistake

Caedus fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jun 27, 2020

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It was covid that got me posting more consistently. Isolation by yourself is incredibly tedious.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
I'm pretty proud of my consistent post every three days for the last 17 years lifestyle. But this recent upheaval has given me the vapors and I think I've made at least ten posts in the last twelve hours.

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
lurkers? more like stalkers

gludel
Nov 6, 2010
In addition to not having anything interesting to say there's always the faint terror I'll accidentally post my face, address and/or collections of dog butthole photos

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Zeromus posted:

to be honest, I always felt i'd post something stupid that would get me probated or banned. That happened a lot, so I mostly lurk.
I remember my first post. Wandering through threads trying to find the best place to make my mark. Spent like an hour trying to make it perfect and kept hemming and hawing worrying about how it would be perceived. Eventually I just said gently caress it and decided to :justpost: and it felt great. I did it!

then I immediately got probated because I posted it as a thread

Metrilenkki
Aug 1, 2007

Oldskool av for lowtaxes medical fund gobbless u -fellow roamingdad

Xaris posted:

I just wanted to earnestly say I read n appreciated every lurkers posts itt and its good to see so many people and i hope you post more. The first post is always the hardest and i understand the initial anxiety, the hesitation-- well what if someone hates it or i get made fun of or whatever and i do understand, but gently caress it :justpost: even if you have nothing to say, just quote someone and go "lol" or : agreed :, we don't have upvotes (thank god, upvotes are loving terrible) so it's the goon form of it. i think the only reason i stopped lurking in like 2006 was because I was a very reserved and shy writer and I had to write a college-admissions and used the forums as a way to just open up and get past that to write things, as terrible as they would be. jokes on me tho bc i went to community college+transfer route and so all that was wasted and now ive obliterated 15 years making bad post.

Every thread is actually very welcoming despite appearance of cliques here and there and i understand that anxiety there too of feeling like barging in or whatever: you don't need to introduce yourself, just spew some letters onto the screen and click that button, nobody will care and before long you'll be making too many posts a day. even if you think you have nothing to add, and god(dead) knows I know all my posts are white noise trash, just go for it

Also its loving 2020, like, holy poo poo. Nothing is going to be the same in our lifetimes and in 2025 we'll probably be looking back thinking "man, 2020 was a loving good year holy poo poo" so make :justpost:

Lol

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Posting? :lol:

Yeah right!!!

Riger101
Dec 25, 2009
its all about that long form artistic statement. post once a decade and see if any one cares. i am a genius and no one can tell me otherwise.

EvilBert
Oct 26, 2002

Bleak Gremlin
I see this whole thing more like a decade-running sitcom.
It's worth to stay on through a lull - always pays off as we just see...

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
i lurk

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

micpp posted:

I think it's kinda like a habit thing for me - like SA is just somewhere I read, not somewhere I post. Probably originally elements of anxiety too though.

this too

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Literally A Person posted:

Posting? :lol:

Yeah right!!!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Me, you, and Normal Person need to start our own posting gang.

Just sayin'

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

I've been a non-registered lurker since I was a kid, and like others I enjoyed watching passively, as if the forums were a TV show. And like a TV show, the characters slowly grew less interesting, even as they grew more familiar. And so my desire to participate waned even as my desire to lurk increased.

Then this Goldbelly debacle brought out an urgent and authentic sense of community on SA, and I realized that this forum was full of real people that I would enjoy interacting with, not a show with characters that I could tolerate watching.

DrOnline
Oct 21, 2007

future ghost posted:

I remember my first post. Wandering through threads trying to find the best place to make my mark. Spent like an hour trying to make it perfect and kept hemming and hawing worrying about how it would be perceived. Eventually I just said gently caress it and decided to :justpost: and it felt great. I did it!

Lol

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

future ghost posted:

Ha omg I love it

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i spent like 12 years lurking this forum before i started posting regularly. my biggest first year posting discoveries were:

posting threads is good everyone should do it, worst case scenario it disappears after a bit unless you post offensive poo poo or something

turn on "auto subscribe to threads when you post in them"

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Were gonna need lurkers to start posting for the new age of SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Were gonna need lurkers to start posting for the new age of SA.

agreed and it helps a lot if you have a good av

so if anyone wants to make the leap in to posting and wants an av without paying lowtax post somewhere in c-spam and link/pm me an av and i'll put in a request for it