Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Civilization is a series of strategy games loosely based on real-world history. Civ VI is the most in-depth one yet, with new features such as housing crises, unique Great People, and climate change caused by burning fossil fuels. In this LP, I will let goons choose our system of government at every opportunity, and hand over control to the viewers accordingly. For example, the first tier of governments offers a choice between Autocracy, Oligarchy, and a Classical Republic. Under Autocracy, I will rule with an iron fist and make all decisions myself. Under Oligarchy, an arbitrarily-selected council of advisors will make decisions. Under Classical Republic, everyone will vote on a priority for our civilization and I will act accordingly. With more sophisticated governments in the future, I may stream on Twitch in order to give live control to the audience.

I'll be playing with all the expansions, on a large map with 20 to 30 civilizations, on Prince (normal) difficulty. The first decision to make: What country should we be? Comment with your civilization of choice and why!

Africa:
Congo
Egypt
Mali
Nubia
Zulu

Americas:
Aztecs
Brazil
Canada
Colombia
Cree
Inca
Mapuche
Maya
United States

Asia:
Cambodia
China
India
Indonesia
Japan
Korea
Mongolia

Europe:
England
France
Georgia
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Macedonia
Netherlands
Norway
Poland
Rome
Russia
Scotland
Scythia
Spain
Sweden

Middle East:
Arabia
Ottomans
Persia
Phoenicia
Sumeria

Oceania:
Australia
Maori

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Mauri republic.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Sweden. Throw the book at 'em.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

By popular demand posted:

Mauri republic.

It's Māori time!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

:bern101::hf::hellyeah:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Mauri republic.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Mali, because cash money.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Russia so we can seamlessly glide between systems of government :ussr:

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

Maori republic.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Canada because why not? They get some neat stuff.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Maori Republic sounds good.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.

Double May Care posted:

Seconding this.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

We must go for the true yieldspam nation of australia. I play the game a lot so I know their opness

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Double May Care posted:

Thirding :sweden:

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Dang. I was actually thinking of making a Civ VI LP, since there wasn't one in the archives, but then the forum's future got shaky so I waited. It was going to be a bit different than this one.

In any case, in for Sweden. Haven't played that one yet as I only recently got the expansions.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Rosemont posted:

Dang. I was actually thinking of making a Civ VI LP, since there wasn't one in the archives, but then the forum's future got shaky so I waited. It was going to be a bit different than this one.

In any case, in for Sweden. Haven't played that one yet as I only recently got the expansions.

When the chips fall there's going to be plenty of avenues to post LPs, and ain't no rule that says you can't have two LPs going at the same time, especially if yours works differently.

But yeah, considering how much Sweden relies on diplomacy I figured it was a good Civ for audience participation. Plus Kristina is a huge nerd.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I vote for Sweden since I have no idea how to play as my own drat country.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Sweden seems pretty great.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I vote for Macedonia because that's where Philip of Macedon was from and he was a cool dude

please note that all of my suggestions will have absolutely nothing to do with gameplay because I'm a big idiot who loses on super low difficulties, this will not stop me from chiming in with dumb decisions

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bregor posted:

Russia so we can seamlessly glide between systems of government :ussr:

This option isn't going to win but this is def the funniest post so I have to go with it anyway

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Give us Maori

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Maori

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Maori

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

After a close vote, we will play as the Maori! I've never played them before, and it's going to be very interesting to learn.

The Maori have the most unique playstyle in Civilization VI. With an environmentalist theme, they receive myriad bonuses from Forests and Rainforests in their natural state, but cannot remove resources from the map. Typical Civ VI strategy involves clear-cutting forests to quickly build new cities and vast tracts of farmlands, which is not an option for Kupe's people. The advantage from undisturbed Forests gives the Maori an enormous head start over everyone else, but I think it'll be tough to grow cities as much as other players can.

The game begins in 4000 BC, on outrigger canoes in the middle of the ocean. Kupe sends the warrior and settler in opposite directions in search of land, and the warrior spots a promising coastline.

The Warrior spots the Great Barrier Reef, which is a rich source of food and provides extra Science. This is a nice advantage of the Maori: They can wander the map in search of Natural Wonders and settle all of their cities in ideal locations.

As the Settler moves to catch up with the Warrior, they encounter Auckland, an industrious city-state. Their friendship gives our capital a bonus to production (more useful in the early game), and an alliance would give all of our cities a bonus to production in shallow water. Since Kupe intends to found many coastal cities, that would be fantastic. The Kiwis request that we learn construction technology, but that's a long way in the future.

Our capital city, "The Place of Kupe's Great Return", is in a fantastic location. Six nearby forests that can make extra production, and nine tiles that will produce Culture and Faith with the Maori's unique Marae building. Kupe orders the creation of a monument, to help the people develop a more sophisticated government.

An explorer meets John Curtin, who greets him in modern English. Every Civilization is represented by a leader who represents the spirit of that nation, and Australia is one of the only nations led by a 20th-century man.

The warrior finds a beautiful wonder in the parched middle of this continent, and then defeats a band of barbarians camped nearby. This game has three types of people inhabiting Australia: The Maori, white people, and implacably hostile savages.

Shortly after finishing the monument, after 375 years the people have created a more sophisticated government! Now we are led by a Chieftain who is our God-King, and He orders the creation of a great religious monument.

The people spend some gold to settle a suitable desert square near the stone, and get to work building a Wonder for the God-King. (This map has random resource spawns, and finding a location near Stone was very lucky. In crowded games like this one, it's important to aggressively pursue religion or you'll never get a Great Prophet, and I don't want that win condition to be instantly ruled out.)

Hundreds of years pass. The people learn to mine, and they build a quarry. Our builder met a friendly village who gave them inspiration for Craftsmanship, which is good because otherwise the Chief would have had to expend the builder on some useless improvements to rush our civic development. (I can learn technologies and civic advancements almost twice as fast by completing Eurekas and Inspirations, and it's important to complete these whenever possible.) The next possible inspiration would come from finding a new continent, so our warrior takes to the sea again and travels in a line to the east.

He discovers the Galapagos Islands, another intriguing Wonder that could be a good spot for a city.

He also meets Pachacuti, leader of the Incans, and discovers a great new continent!

A hidden advantage for the Maori: When they settle small islands, barbarians are not a threat. Most players would need military units at this point to kill rampaging scouts and spearmen, but our home continent only had one barbarian camp and it's already gone. Nonetheless, it's time for the warrior to return from his exploration.

The Australians found a second city 800 years after their first, and their capital expands to the fish-filled lake to the north. If we had managed to claim it first, by building fishing boats our builder would have claimed all the tiles surrounding the lake, including Australia's territory north of Canberra, but our border expansion wasn't fast enough.

The Maori complete Stonehenge to honour the God-King, and a Great Prophet appears! The people haven't managed to found a Pantheon yet, but once they get that done they'll likely be the first in the game with a proper religion. That extra production from Forests was essential to get this Wonder finished before anyone else could grab it. The Chieftain orders the creation of a settler to expand beyond one city.

After a century of worship at Stonehenge, the people create a pantheon of fertility rites that will help the cities grow faster. We are ready to found a religion!

We have a to-do list that will inspire us to develop a more sophisticated government sooner. This list:

1. Build a Campus or Holy Site
2. Grow to 6 total population
3. Meet 2 more city-states

What should our capital city be named?

What should our religion be called?

What government should we pursue, Oligarchy, Autocracy, or Classical Republic? Oligarchy is best for military conquest, Autocracy is a balanced government that makes the capital city stronger, and Classical Republic is best for peaceful development. Under Oligarchy, an arbitrarily-selected council of advisors will make decisions. Under Autocracy, I continue to make decisions (other than names) myself. Under Classical Republic, everyone will vote on a priority for our civilization.

Were these screenshots understandable, even for people who haven't played Civ VI?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
oh sweet, the Maori are a water-based civ? My current run through of Civ 5 is on an archipelago map, and I've been playing basically that exact thing. Nifty!

Capital City: Goonsburg
Religion: Hedonism
Government: Oligarchy :black101:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Capital City: Don't Change The Name we're the Maori, let our cities have the names
Religion: Mauri traditional Maori beliefs don't have a name that I can find but apparently Mauri, life force, is the central concept so let's go with that? Unless someone with actual expertise has an idea
Government: Republic

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Capital City: Don't change the name.
Religion: Mauri, unless someone can find a more fitting name.
Government: Oligarchy, because the Australians are right there and we need to get them before they get us.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

OddHaberdasher posted:

Government: Oligarchy, because the Australians are right there and we need to get them before they get us.

This looks good to me. Especially re: the Aussies.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Rody One Half posted:

Capital City: Don't Change The Name we're the Maori, let our cities have the names
Religion: Mauri traditional Maori beliefs don't have a name that I can find but apparently Mauri, life force, is the central concept so let's go with that? Unless someone with actual expertise has an idea

Works for me.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Turn 43 and you haven't founded a second city yet is killing me

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Turn 43 and you haven't founded a second city yet is killing me

It hurts me, too. Like I said, I didn't want to rule out founding a religion, and with 30 civs on one map I probably can't build a settler and still have time to get a great prophet. Also, this is Epic speed so it's not quite as bad.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

OddHaberdasher posted:

This.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Rody One Half posted:

Hell yeah

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

OddHaberdasher posted:

n'thing this

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Are we forbidden from using the C-word when referring to the Australian empire? Because settling this close to us is totally an expletive move.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Capital City: Groverhaus
For the rest:

OddHaberdasher posted:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Chamale posted:

It hurts me, too. Like I said, I didn't want to rule out founding a religion, and with 30 civs on one map I probably can't build a settler and still have time to get a great prophet. Also, this is Epic speed so it's not quite as bad.

That makes sense and all, and yeah you're gonna have a lot of competition for the prophets. Just a faint itching at the back of my mind, especially since Australia is settling near you so now you're gonna prob need to start a war, only having one city is hard for that

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Oligarchy

Mauri and just using the base names is really boring though. Hedonism and Groverhaus have the advantage in also sounding more dignified.

One thing I miss in Civ VI from Civ IV (never played Civ V) is the ablity to draw on the map to plan out your moves. No idea why they got rid of that.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Worship A'Tuin the World Turtle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

HopeAndJoy, Rody One Half, AJ_Impy, and By Popular Demand, you become oligarchs at the end of today's update, so pay attention! If any of you fails to make a decision within 24 hours, you will be overthrown by the next person to comment after that deadline.

We have a religion! This belief system focuses on the beautiful landmarks that our people create, because we founded our religion early and bonuses based on absolute numbers are more powerful than percentage-based bonuses at this time. We'll need the edge, because the mood of our people is trending in a militaristic direction. It also supports a wide variety of playstyles, so we're keeping these options open.

With nothing else to do, one of our builders enters the open ocean for some more exploration.

After completing the settler, the Chief orders Kupe's Great Return to build a campus for developing new siege technology. With the right techniques, our thinkers conceive of catapults flinging rocks a great distance to strike down our foes and their unnatural cities built from destroyed forests.

A new barbarian camp has appeared, and Australia is struggling to defeat them. Our Warrior swoops in to claim the glory and the gold, and gains a promotion that makes him stronger against melee and range units such as warriors and slingers.

The exploring builder reports that he has met four empires on the coasts of a great landmass to the north.

Our settler founds a second city near Uluru, Ngaruawahia, which means "Opened Food Pits". Our civic development of Early Empire will be complete as soon as our population reaches 55,467 (or in game terms, 6). The Australians recently created a third city to the southwest.

The people no longer worship the chief as a god-king, focusing their devotion on natural and man-made wonders. They gain a renewed appreciation for urban planning, as everyone wants to live near Stonehenge.

The Chief appoints two new governors, "The Educator" to increase development in the Kupe's Great Return, and "The Surveyor" to help our builders in Opened Food Pits.

Thanks to the Maori special ability, creating fishing boats instantly expands our borders near that area.

1,350 years after forming a Chiefdom, the Maori have developed a political philosophy. The people clamour to establish an oligarchy, which will help fight against our nature-hating neighbours.

This is the current state of our home continent. The Australians outnumber us and have the same military technology, but we will develop catapults in seven turns. The hill where our warrior stands would be a fine spot to besiege Adelaide, or we could send troops into the valleys near Canberra, which has yet to build any defences.

HopeAndJoy, Rody One Half, AJ_Impy, and By Popular Demand become Oligarchs because they supported the Maori from the beginning. All four of you can choose one of the following roles and make a decision, first comment gets dibs. At 9:30 Eastern Time tomorrow night, any unclaimed roles can be taken by the first person to comment with a decision.

Elite general: When the war to defend nature comes, should we attack Adelaide to split the enemy's empire, or attack their largest city first?

Elite scientist: Do we launch an attack with catapults and warriors, or wait about 40 turns to develop weapons for our unique Toa warrior unit, much stronger than a regular warrior?

Elite developer: Should the Governors increase science in the capital (which helps weapon development), increase culture (which helps government development), or give builders in Ngaruawahia the ability to create fisheries for food and protection?

Elite trader: Should we form an alliance with Auckland immediately for more production on the coast, or become friends with Kabul? We might be able to form a future alliance with Kabul, our units would gain twice as much combat experience from attacking, and an alliance would form with Auckland in 40-50 turns when we develop Construction.