Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

1.Elite scientist:  2.launch an attack with catapults and warriors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’m an elite developer and I say we focus on science in the capital to help ensure we prevail over the tree cutting menace.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Elite Trader decrees that we Ally with Auckland as a priority. Production is its own reward.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
As the deadline has seemingly passed, I would like to stage a coup for the position of Elite General.

And it's my opinion that we strike the heart of The Enemy's empire, and take their capital of Canberra. :black101:

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 29, 2020

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Well played, very ambitious! You show the attributes of a great leader!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

By overthrowing the last military leader, Blaziken386 proved her worth as a general! Our nation prepares for war.

Auckland becomes our tributary, and some of their industrious fishermen come to work in our cities, helping our production in shallow water.

The Australians have closed their borders to foreigners, forcing our warrior to scout the edges of their capital rather than taking a close look at their defences.

We formally denounce John Curtin for his actions, him and his anachronistic clothing.

Canberra has created a great wonder, a monument to their pagan pantheon. Our religion appreciates the beautiful work of man and nature, no matter why it may have been created.

Our wandering builder visits a friendly village on a rainforested continent to the west. They show him their bows and arrows, a fascinating technology that he is inspired to replicate.

We have a catapult, and an army of warriors. As soon as the second catapult is complete, we declare war on Canberra - hopefully before their last forest is destroyed.

The builder encounters the most infamous Wonder quote in the game, and begins babbling madly about "wi-fi". It's time for him to return home - we'll need someone to repair tiles after the war. (It's not just a problem with Kilimanjaro, a lot of the technology quotes in Civ VI are condemning the thing you just discovered)

As technology develops around the world, we are now in the Classical Era of history. Our nation enters a Golden Age, and we choose the ability to buy builders, settlers, and traders with Faith, since we have so much devotion from Stonehenge and Uluru.

The time has come to end the menace to nature and declare war on Australia.

As we besiege Canberra, we gain the Great Scientist Arybhata, whose cries of "Eureka" help us towards developing mathematics, castles, and military engineering.

Their archer and warrior cannot stop our catapults from bludgeoning the city into submission. Almost 187,000 people die in the siege of Canberra, and at long last the enemy's capital is ours.

Adelaide soon falls in a similar fashion, we capture an Australia settler, and our catapults move towards Brisbane.

And the band played Waltzing Matilda.

Our nation has 358,360 subjects, and no other empire can challenge us on our beautiful continent.

Blaziken386, Elite General: Should our Warriors explore the world, or seek out and destroy barbarians?
By Popular Demand, Elite Scientist: Do we study architecture to build ever-greater monuments to the Mauri beliefs, or new ways to educate our citizens, or develop military technology?
Hopeandjoy, Elite Developer: Should our cities develop culture, science, or faith?
AJ_Impy, Elite Trader: Do we trade fish and grain among our cities, or fill our coffers with gold by selling this bounty?

You have until midnight Eastern Time tomorrow to make a decision, or you could be overthrown by the first person to comment after the deadline.

For the people (elites can't vote on this), should our government evolve into a Monarchy or a Merchant Republic? Monarchy will improve our relations with city-states, and the king will only consult the High Priest of Mauri for advice. A Merchant Republic will speed the building of powerful districts in our cities, and everyone will be able to vote and choose a guild - decisions will be made based on the choice of a majority of guilds.

Lastly, how shall we rename our captured cities?

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
I, for one, support the establishment of a strong Monarchy.

EDIT: As for the names of captured cities, those that have desecrated the natural beauty of this land like the Aussies have should not have the dignity of memorial. Give them good Maori names.

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 29, 2020

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

As the top scientist I must push for education by any means.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Destroy Barbarians if they're being annoying and/or sitting on top of something interesting, but primarily, our warriors should Explore the World. What if there's another nation out there as cruel to nature as the savage Australians were? We must seek them out at all costs.

As for the cities, I petition to rename Canberra to New Kupè, and leave Brisbane as is. I have no strong feelings one way or the other about Adelaide.
e: that is, assuming the (for the people) restriction was solely for the monarchy/republic, and not both

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 29, 2020

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Blaziken386 posted:

that is, assuming the (for the people) restriction was solely for the monarchy/republic, and not both

Elites can vote on city names like everyone else, you just can't control how the government might change when the people demand it.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Let's try out Merchant Republic

megane
Jun 20, 2008

A Merchant Republic sounds good!

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Wikipedia tells me that before the Brits showed up, Adelaide was called Tarntanyangga and Brisbane was called Mian-jin. The 60 whole seconds I sepnt googling "History of Canberra" didn't reveal the location's original name, but I did learn that the region was primarily occupied by the Ngunnawal people. Why not use those names?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I support this.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Merchant Republic! I demand to be slightly-better represented! please don't hurt me general blaziken

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Viola the Mad posted:

Wikipedia tells me that before the Brits showed up, Adelaide was called Tarntanyangga and Brisbane was called Mian-jin. The 60 whole seconds I sepnt googling "History of Canberra" didn't reveal the location's original name, but I did learn that the region was primarily occupied by the Ngunnawal people. Why not use those names?

This, and Merchant Republic

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Viola the Mad posted:

This sounds good.

Additionally, as the elite developer, I say we now focus on culture.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Viola the Mad posted:

Excellent work. This.

As Elite Trader, let's get that internal trade accumulating. Trade fish and grain among our cities.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Viola the Mad posted:

I support this and also a Merchant Republic

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Four of our neighbours denounce us for the complete capture of Australia. The Khmer call us the opposite of divinity, the Inca say our elites are contemptible, and Arabia calls us a tyrant.

The military elite spends gold to upgrade some warriors into toas, in preparation for exploring the world.

The captured Australian settler founds a new city for us, Whakarewarewa, which means "Gathering Place".

Our desert city of Ngaruawahia gets to work carving a wonder out of stone in the desert, which will help the people appreciate the beauty that is in the world.

Governor Liang gets the ability to teach builders to make fish farms. She will go from city to city telling builders to make these wherever possible, as these excellent improvements provide +2 food if the fishery is next to a source of fish or crab.

One exploring warrior dies after trying to rescue a kidnapped Zulu worker. As you can see at the top of the screen, our foreign relations are bad with any nation that had met Australia, but the Zulu, Sumerians, and Colombians like us a lot.

A hurricane blows along the coast near Gathering Place, but we don't have many fishing boats yet so nothing gets damaged.

Some of our explorers have crossed the Americas and discovered a mysterious region of ocean where their stick charts go haywire and can't guide them across.

With the construction of our first Marae in Kupe's Great Return, the forests and reefs provide a huge bonus to our culture and faith.

Our toa who ventured south discovers a cold continent full of vicious barbarian penguins.

Our elites establish a new city on an island to the north. Opango means "Black Place", perhaps in honour of the dark rainforest canopy. Governor Liang travels to help establish fish farms all around its coastline.

We develop a system of feudalism, but except for the former Australian city of Mian-jin, most our food will come from the ocean. Serfs take to the sea, establishing fish farms to feed the burgeoning cities.

The borders of our new town expand quickly, thanks to builders and the fishing boats' special ability.

Antananarivo becomes our tributary, giving us a significant advancement in culture. They share maps of Africa's west coast and tell us about two empires: The wealthy Malinese, and the devout Spanish, who claim to follow the one true religion while worshipping idols of silver, copper, and stone.

The maps from Madagascar prove what our philosophers suspected: the world is round! Our explorers in America go east to find Europe, meeting the great empires of England, Scotland, Norway, and France, and the city-state of Ireland.

Our new governor is a financier, and she helps us gain more wealth from unimproved resources. She goes to work in the capital, while the educator moves to O Ngunnawal, our largest city. This new arrangement grants slightly more science, and about 20 extra gold every turn.

The Australian cities have been following our fertility rites part of Mauri beliefs, but not the reverence for nature and wonders. The capital sends a missionary to change that. After converting to Mauri, Tarntanyangga starts working on a great pyramid so they can have a Wonder of the World to contemplate.

Our latest census reports a population of 1,880,180. The world will enter the Medieval era soon, and our sophisticated people demand a change from oligarchy. To balance the interests of many different groups, we establish a Merchant Republic.

In order to vote, choose a guild: The Fishermen's Guild, the Miner's Guild, or the Forester's Guild. Whatever the majority of your guild chooses is that guild's vote, and I'll enact whatever is supported by a majority of the guilds.

Choose two economic policies: Aesthetics, Natural Philosophy, or Scripture? These will increase our culture, science, and faith respectively.

What technology should we seek: Buttress, Astronomy, or Banking? Buttress is useful for building new wonders for our faith, astronomy helps us with science, and banking makes us wealthier.

Some city-states cry out for religious guidance. Should we convert those who request it, or focus on converting our nearest neighbours first?

The Medieval era will be another Golden Age. Should we dedicate ourselves to building more fish farms, to developing our government, to learning technology, or to spreading religion?

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Miner's Guild

Natural Philosophy, Edit: Scripture
Buttress
Those who request
Technology

idhrendur fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 1, 2020

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Forester's Guild

Scripture EDIT: and Aesthetics
Buttress
Convert our neighbours
Religion

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 30, 2020

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Stripped of my military title, now that the oligarchy is no more, I believe I shall ply my trade as part of the Fishermen's Guild. Furthermore, while pursuit of the sciences are all well and good, I believe the Aesthetics and Scripture are what we should focus on, if we are to share our love of nature with the world.

And if we are to share with the world, I say we focus our scientific endeavors towards Astronomy, that we might apply that knowledge towards the creation of ships that can travel the deep oceans. Then, we can travel the world, spreading our religion to all City States who desire it, as well as learning to improve our techniques in making Fish Farms.

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 30, 2020

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Miner's Guild

Natural Philosophy and Scripture (didn't he say pick two?)
Buttress
Convert Requests First
Spread Religion

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

Stripped of my military title, now that the oligarchy is no more, I believe I shall ply my trade as part of the Fishermen's Guild. Furthermore, while pursuit of the sciences are all well and good, I believe the Aesthetics are what we should focus on, if we are to share our love of nature with the world.

And if we are to share with the world, I say we focus our scientific endeavors towards Astronomy, that we might apply that knowledge towards the creation of ships that can travel the deep oceans. Then, we can travel the world, spreading our religion to all City States who desire it, as well as learning to improve our techniques in making Fish Farms.

As the former elite developer, I am also joining the Fishermen’s Guild and I support this agenda.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Remember that you can pick two economic policies, not just one. And we can already navigate the ocean, Astronomy is for crossing the ocean in Civ V.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Chamale posted:

Remember that you can pick two economic policies, not just one. And we can already navigate the ocean, Astronomy is for crossing the ocean in Civ V.
drat, my outdated knowledge betrays me!

updated vote to include another economic policy, but I'm still sticking with astronomy because why not.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fishermen's Guild

Natural Philosophy and Scripture

Astronomy

Those who request

Spreading religion

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Forester's Guild

Aesthetics and Natural Philosophy

Astronomy

Those who request it

Learning technology

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Fishermen's Guild

Aesthetics and Scripture

Buttresses

Convert those who request it first

Build fish farms

It's more important for our people to grow and appreciate the beauty of the world than it is to meddle with its already perfect and divinely inspired creations.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Chamale posted:

and the devout Spanish, who claim to follow the one true religion while worshipping idols of silver, copper, and stone.
I suppose that isn't that different to ours, it's just that their wonders are very small. I suspect they won't see it the same way though.

Forester's Guild:
Aesthetics+Natural Philosophy
Buttress
Convert anyone who requests it
, I assume we'll focus on neighbours when there aren't any requests
Technology

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Forester's Guild
Aesthetics, Natural Philosophy
Buttress
Convert anyone, those who request it first
Religion

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Miner's Guild votes for:
Natural Philosophy and Scripture
Buttress
Religion for those who request it
Undecided between dedication to technology or religion

The Forester's Guild votes for:
Aesthetics and Natural Philosophy
Buttress
Undecided between dedication to technology or religion

The Fisherman's Guild votes for:
Scripture and Aesthetics
Astronomy
Dedication to fish farms

Winning policies:
Alternate between all three I guess
Buttress
Religion for city-states who request it
Dedication to more fish farms

Ngaruawahia completes Petra, which will help the people to nomadically work the desert and gather food and resources from pristine desert sands. This beautiful monument also strengthens the faith in this city.

While the other two guilds squabbled about spreading the faith versus learning about nature, the fishermen seized their chance, and the Maori are now in a golden age of fish farms.

Because the Maori are in contact with so many nations, we can participate in votes about international affairs. The Duke has little diplomatic power because other leaders resent the way we conquered Australia, so they watch as the world bans marble and makes it easier to spread Catholicism.

Our missionary successfully converts most of Singapore to Mauri beliefs, and they are appreciative! With their friendship, our capital gets a small bonus to producing buildings.

The Khmer declare a military emergency after China conquers one of their cities. The Maori military hasn't been upgraded for a long time, so the Duke instructs our diplomats to avoid conflict. Sumeria and Korea vote to help the Khmer recapture the city, and go to war against Qin Shi Huang.

Opango also starts work on a Wonder of the World, a pyramid that can only be built in a rainforest. With our belief system, it is best to have at least one Wonder in every city.

A catastrophic volcanic eruption outside of Opango damages some fishing boats. The flat land nearby becomes fertile volcanic soil.

Another one of our scouts is killed in Africa. Because the continent has fewer great empires than Europe, it seems to have a lot of barbarians running around.

Our allies in Antananarivo are providing us with nitre, a pungent salt that fascinates our best alchemists.

We send a governor to Geneva as a diplomat, and become their suzerain. They give us a 15% science boost whenever we're not at war - a useful benefit, though not completely crucial.

The Fisherman's Guild have almost run out of places to build fish farms, so we establish another settlement on the island to the north. Taumutu, which means "end of a ridge", is surrounded by fish and rainforests and its borders will expand quickly.

A natural disaster struck Brazil, and the world votes to help them.

Shortly afterwards, a volcano near Auckland has a megacolossal eruption, killing almost 300,000 Kiwis! There's nothing we can do to help our City-State ally, except watch as they bravely rebuild.

The people of our South Island complete a gleaming bronze Colossus, showing their reverence for nature with an enormous statue that is dwarfed by the nearby mountains.

Our explorers are giving us a better idea of the geography of Europe. We will soon send apostles to Armagh and Cardiff, because these cities have request a new religious conversion. It will be more difficult than simply sending a missionary to a city-state with no organized religion.

Kupe's Great Return completes a second wonder, one that gives us an Apostle and impresses other nations.

Because of our strong culture and engaged population, we have already developed the policies of colonialism - now our fishing boats are even more productive, and we can have our tributary states share some of their culture and science with us.

Our capital launches a frigate, a sailing ship wielding crude cannons to take control of the seas. This impresses the nearby city-state of Nan Madol enough that they join us, and provide a culture boost to all of our districts near coastlines. Since we are a coast-loving civilization, that is an incredible boost.

Our apostles arrive at Armagh and convert the Irish to Mauri. In return, they teach us to build monasteries on land without disturbing its natural beauty. This will provide housing, something much needed in crowded Ngaruawahia, and strengthen our faith.

Our builders make a monastery near Uluru, the first of many. These desert tiles provide so much more than a simple grassland covered with a farm.

Soon we have converted all the British Isles to Mauri. King Robert asks us to stop, but we will not stop spreading the wonders of our faith.

After we researched buttresses, the Fisherman's Guild went a bit mad with power. They focused entirely on new methods of building mighty wonders, until we perfected a process for the industrialized production of goods before we even researched astronomy. We could even dig up coal and use it to power our factories even better, but our gurus warn that this would be greatly disrespectful of nature. (Here's another one of the infamous quotes where it tells you what you just discovered is a mistake)

Simon Bolivar never got much help after the world voted to give them disaster relief aid. We could become the nation who helped Colombia the most, and the world would be grateful.

The Maori population is 5,954,529 - with almost two million in our largest city, O Ngunnawal. The Fishermen's Guild has become so powerful, their vote now counts twice as much as the other guilds, and no new members are allowed to join them. A new guild arises, the Builder's Guild. If you weren't part of the Fishermen's Guild already, choose one of the Forester's Guild, the Miner's Guild, or the Builder's Guild and vote on the following policies:

Economic policy: Build wonders faster, or gain culture and science from international trade?
Civic development: Prepare our military for foreign intervention in emergencies, or develop ways to protect nature within our borders?
Technology: Astronomy, which will lead to further knowledge about the natural world, or gunpowder, which will let our soldiers wield handheld weapons like the frigate's cannons?
This flammable rock we just discovered: Should we burn coal for production in our cities or leave it in the ground out of respect for nature?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Chamale posted:

While the other two guilds squabbled about spreading the faith versus learning about nature, the fishermen seized their chance, and the Maori are now in a golden age of fish farms.
:dance:
:coolfish: fish for everyone~! :coolfish:

*ahem*

as for voting: (I continue to be part of the Fishermen's Guild)
-I believe we should focus on building wonders. International trade is all well and good, but Cool Statues™ are where it's at.
-There's an awful lot of countries out there. I believe it's best to protect our borders, rather than attempting to stick our noses into other countries.
-That being said, to be on the safe side, I think it would be smart to research gunpowder, so no one thinks twice about trying to stick their nose into our territory.
-Where flaming rocks are concerned... the only flaming rock I'm interested in is the volcano so close to our shores. Leave the damned stones in the ground. Let the other nations turn to it for power, surely if the oceans can provide fish, we can find a way to gain power from them as well? (are water turbines a thing in this game?)

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
I believe I speak for the Forester's Guild when I call for:

International Trade
Foreign Intervention
Astronomy
Leaving Coal alone

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Forester's Guild:

Build wonders
Foreign intervention
if that'll help repair our reputation
Astronomy
Leave it in the ground
where it belongs

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Fishermen's Guild

Build wonders faster, let others stare in awe at our magnificence while they ponder about the correct shape of beakers or what have you.
Protect our borders and let other nations squabble amongst themselves. We have already been spurnned by the international community for saving our island from the perfidious Australian government, they will see sense in time.
Astronomy, stars are pretty, leave nature alone.
Respect nature, let's not destroy natural beauty just to set things on fire. "Coal" may be impressive now, but in a few years people will have forgotten this fad.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Chatrapati posted:

Fishermen's Guild

Build wonders faster, let others stare in awe at our magnificence while they ponder about the correct shape of beakers or what have you.
Protect our borders and let other nations squabble amongst themselves. We have already been spurnned by the international community for saving our island from the perfidious Australian government, they will see sense in time.
Respect nature, let's not destroy natural beauty just to set things on fire. "Coal" may be impressive now, but in a few years people will have forgotten this fad.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

Chatrapati posted:

Fishermen's Guild

Thirding this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Chamale posted:

The Fishermen's Guild has become so powerful, their vote now counts twice as much as the other guilds, and no new members are allowed to join them.

Economic policy: Build wonders faster, or gain culture and science from international trade?
Civic development: Prepare our military for foreign intervention in emergencies, or develop ways to protect nature within our borders?
Technology: Astronomy, which will lead to further knowledge about the natural world, or gunpowder, which will let our soldiers wield handheld weapons like the frigate's cannons?
This flammable rock we just discovered: Should we burn coal for production in our cities or leave it in the ground out of respect for nature?

:coolfish: Awww yeah :coolfish:

Fishermen's Guild

International trade

Protect nature within our borders

Astronomy

Leave the coal and respect nature