Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm hoping to do an update every evening (except Friday evenings), I'll update tonight even if the Builder's Guild and Miner's Guild don't have any members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Quantum Toast posted:

Forester's Guild:

Build wonders
Foreign intervention
if that'll help repair our reputation
Astronomy
Leave it in the ground
where it belongs
Aye

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Old Grey Guy has been arrested for falsely claiming to be a member of the fishermen's guild, after they were closed off to new members! Meanwhile, the Builder's Guild and Miner's Guild languish with no voting members. Many members of our society feel unrepresented, and political change may be coming soon.

The Forester's Guild votes for:
Building wonders
An interventionist military
Astronomy
Leaving coal in the ground

The Fisherman's Guild votes for:
Building wonders
Protecting our borders and the beauty found within them
Astronomy
Leaving coal in the ground

Because of the large influence of the Fisherman's Guild, all of their desired policies pass.

The international community declared an emergency after Maori missionaries converted Stirling, Scotland to Mauri, and will try to convert it back! Ireland and Wales had requested our beliefs, and our overzealous apostles converted Scotland and England as well.

Opango completes Chichen Itza, which increases the reverence their citizens feel when walking through a pristine rainforest.

Gilgamesh, the nearest neighbour who doesn't hate our Duke, becomes a formal ally. This may have been a mistake as he's currently at war with all of our other neighbours.

An apostle teaches us a new religious belief, giving us the ability to build stupas - burial mounds - in our holy sites. These will make our citizens happier, an important consideration as the beaches and forests grow increasingly crowded.

A relatively small gift of gold from our wealthy nation helps Colombia recover from a disaster that struck them, and improves our international standing.

Our Maori apostle challenges the validity of Catholic beliefs by calling on bolts of lightning to strike down their missionaries. Despite the partially successful miracle, the Catholics survive and convert Stirling back to a Catholic majority.

China finds a supposed descendant of John Curtin, and proposes installing the usurper in O Ngunnawal! China and Korea declare war on the Maori in an attempt to restore the Australian regime in what was once their capital. Truly, this is a mere pretext because they hate our alliance with their enemy Sumeria.

Our frigate was fighting barbarians in the East Sea, and immediately travels south to defend our borders. The powerful Maori navy will defend against foreign aggression.

As culture and learning flourish around the world, history enters the Renaissance Era. As we already have fish farms everywhere, the Duke chooses to dedicate this era to our religious beliefs.

On the site where Tarntanyangga had originally tried to build limestone pyramids in its pagan days, they create a great mosque honouring both Mauri beliefs and the fertility rites that once preceded them.

The Duke orders the creation of a national park near Gathering Place, which will attract tourists from around the world to see the glory of untouched nature.

Our Frigate sees enemy troops in transport ships near our waters, and sinks them all with its cannons.

The other nations fail to convert Stirling away from its newfound trust in our faith. In London, the people lose loyalty to their queen after losing connection to Catholicism, and they overthrow Victoria to declare themselves a Free City! The English nation is no more.

Isidor of Melitus is born in Opened Food Pits, a great engineer with the ability to help quickly construct a Wonder of the World!

The Maori have lived on this land for almost 5,000 years. The latest census shows a population of 9,283,687. Our fishermen propose building mighty naval rams out of iron to sink enemy ships with impunity. Our holy men point out that we could dig up artifacts from ancient times for a better connection with our cultural heritage.

Votes from the Fishermen's Guild still count double, and no new members are allowed to join. If you weren't part of the Fishermen's Guild already, and you haven't been arrested, choose one of the Forester's Guild, the Miner's Guild, or the Builder's Guild and vote on the following policies:

Should our Great Engineer build a naval arsenal to help us construct ships, or a wondrous university to study technology?
Our navy defeated the first wave of invaders. Should we negotiate peace or try to conquer China and Korea?
We have many faithful citizens hoping to aid our beliefs. Should they become missionaries to other civilizations or archaeologists to grow our culture at home?

We will soon have a new form of government, and everyone's votes will count equally, even prisoners. On July 4th at 9:00 pm Eastern, I will stream on Twitch for two hours so people can directly contribute to decision-making, and continue to stream at that timeslot on subsequent evenings.
Communism helps with production and science. I will choose all production, and Twitch viewers will have live votes on what technology and civics to develop.
Democracy helps with housing and international trade. You will vote for a president, and that president will guide me directly as I play on Twitch
Fascism helps the military. I will have absolute power, though I'll still stream on Twitch, and anyone who did not vote for fascism is not allowed to vote for the next form of government.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
What would be the point of building new ships if we don't have the best ones? I vote we study in a wondrous university.
As for the war front, I'm torn... I'd rather not ask for peace so soon when the war wasn't our fault, but attempting to overthrow them utterly seems... unwise. I'll abstain from this vote, though my personal opinion is that we bloody their nose a little bit before ending hostilities.
On the culture front, we have photographic evidence of what happened for the past 5,000 years! :cheeky: what use are archeologists, missionaries are more important.

As for the government, throwing my hat in for some :coolzone: Communism.

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 2, 2020

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Foresters.

Naval Arsenal. We live by our boats, and doubling up is good times.
If they have islands, claim them. But do not be greedy, our grievances are legitimate.
Archaeologists.
Communism.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Fishermen's Guild

Should we kill trees in order to aid forgetful boffins, or so that we can embark on seeing the beauty of the world? Build a naval arsenal
Also going to abstain from the war vote. China and Korea are both far away. It's possible they didn't realise what they were doing when they declared war and were just high off coal fumes.
Archaeologists bring our culture to light where we can see it (and also get rid of the annoying artefacts blocking builder construction).

Democracy. I can't think of a fun way to justify this one, I just like the idea of some random on Twitch dictating your actions.

Jerk Burger
Jul 4, 2003

King of the Monkeys
Sub-branch of the Illustrious Guild of Foresters

Team Bote
No peace yet
Missionaries
Fascism

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
I speak as a member of the Forester's Guild, though I feel these institutions are no longer fit to serve our people.

The world, for the most part, hates us. With the notable exception of Sumeria, every other nation is itching to destroy us. They loathe and fear us for our demonstrated might, for the righteousness of our beliefs (as demonstrated by their inability to dissuade the Scots from Mauri) and for their slow, yet inevitable, slide into irrelevance.

We could easily destroy any single nation as we pleased, but we could not stand against all of them. Not as we are now. We must be prepared for the great struggle to come.

We will need a Grand Navy, of such strength that no one would even conceive of making war on us as the Chinese and Koreans have.
We must take the fight to Chinese and Korean shores, and not stop until all that is theirs becomes ours. Let what remains serve as a warning to the rest.
Finally, we must end all outreach efforts and missionary work, to focus on our own development. If our way of life is to survive, it will only be possible within our own borders.

For all this to be possible, however, we cannot remain divided as we are, locked in bitter power struggles between rival guilds. We need a Supreme Leader, one invested with extraordinary power as we've never had in our nation's history. In accordance with the principles of Fascism, this leader will unite all within our nation to one singular purpose. To defend and advance our way of life, our culture, whether reactively or proactively....

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

As a member of the Fishermen’s Guild, I believe we need to build up our naval arsenal to help deter any future invasions. However, I believe we should give peacea chance because China and Korea are too far away to really attack well. Finally, we should educate archeologists to discover the rich history of our land and how important trees have always been for us.

Also, Communism. :ussr:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Chamale posted:

Should our Great Engineer build a naval arsenal to help us construct ships, or a wondrous university to study technology?
Our navy defeated the first wave of invaders. Should we negotiate peace or try to conquer China and Korea?
We have many faithful citizens hoping to aid our beliefs. Should they become missionaries to other civilizations or archaeologists to grow our culture at home?

We will soon have a new form of government, and everyone's votes will count equally, even prisoners. On July 4th at 9:00 pm Eastern, I will stream on Twitch for two hours so people can directly contribute to decision-making, and continue to stream at that timeslot on subsequent evenings.
Communism helps with production and science. I will choose all production, and Twitch viewers will have live votes on what technology and civics to develop.
Democracy helps with housing and international trade. You will vote for a president, and that president will guide me directly as I play on Twitch
Fascism helps the military. I will have absolute power, though I'll still stream on Twitch, and anyone who did not vote for fascism is not allowed to vote for the next form of government.

Fishermen's Guild

Naval arsenal to defend our borders and also to help expand our civilization, religion, and love of natural beauty.

Conquer China for sure, their false claim of John Curtin's descendant must be paid for with blood. But try to drive a wedge between China and Korea and broker peace with the latter.

Missionaries to grow sympathy for our cause and help sway the soon-to-be conquered Chinese people.

The time has come for Communism! :ussr:

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Members of the mining guild come out of their mountain refuges to give input on what to do.

We came from the sea and we must dominate it. Let no nation move freely through our ocean of the Pacific. We must build a naval arsenal to help us build that fleet.

The Chinese and Koreans are fools barking at the bigger hound. The Australians are centuries part of our nation. We must humble them thoroughly so conquer their coastal cities and other places of world beauty.

Our beliefs are about finding beauty in worldy things. From wonders to writing to art. Some have insisted upon digging up. The earth to find relics of the past that we lost, things that deserve to be put on a pedestal and admired. We should give these archaeologists support.

And finally, the people are tired of the guilds dominating their lives, stiffing their pay, and limiting their political rights. Some have taken it upon themselves to form their own unions and councils that undermine the authority of the guilds. The guilds are on their way out but will thee folks ideas take root? These mjning guild members are backing them in their idea of communism

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

as a side note, can i just say I love that we've collectively been voting in roleplay? goons, i love y'all

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Fisherman's Guild has had few opportunities to build new fish farms, as most of our coastlines are already covered with them. They struggle with factionalism, while the Builder's Guild continues to have no representatives at all.

Naval arsenal
Undecided
Undecided

Naval arsenal
War
Archaeologists

The Miner's Guild votes for:
Naval arsenal
War
Archaeologists

Maori envoys secure the fealty of Singapore and Cardiff, our fellow Mauri believers. Singapore battles Chinese troops, but our friends use bows and arrows while China uses hand cannons.

Our Welsh allies teach us to produce electricity from the movement of waves in the harbour, and our factory lights up with electricity! The parts it supplies will increase productivity all over the home continent.

Ngaruawahia creates a second colossal statue of our civilization, but this one is lit up by our wondrous discovery of electricity!

Isidore speeds the production of our naval arsenal in Taumutu, doubling our ship-building productivity and giving those citizens a man-made wonder to gaze upon for the first time.

A spy sabotaged our factory! Our spy was busy observing the Chinese capital. These spies will be an ongoing concern as the world becomes more connected by trade.

China settled an island near our territory, and our cannon-armed sailing ships immediately capture it with no casualties on either side. We are the masters of the coast!

Harald Hardrada praises us as our cities churn out enormous numbers of privateers and frigates.

Our toa and musketmen report that they can't breach the walls of Angkor Thom, and our ships can't hit the city through the dense rainforest that surrounds it.

Our first archaeologist finds an Australian mosaic from the Classical Age! O Ngunnawal establishes a museum of archaeology, though visitors complain that it's hard to see the common theme with ancient and recent discoveries all jumbled together.

To besiege Angkor Thom, we will need modern siege weapons. Our military catapults that amuse citizens in various cities with stone-chucking competitions must be replaced with great cannons and sent to the battlefield.

With our excellent gold income, we can borrow money and gunpowder from the friendly Romans to immediately upgrade our catapults into two bombard corps.

Meanwhile, outside Beijing our sailors find that they can hit the walls with their cannons. It is not the Chinese capital, but it could be a stepping stone there.

Our musketmen take the city. 180,000 people die in the siege, and another 60,000 soon die in the subsequent famine. Seeing our military might, the nearby city of Taiyuan converts to the Mauri faith.

Inspired by our electrical wonder, our professors propose various flying machines. We have no way of making heavier-than-air craft yet, but hot air balloons could be an invaluable way to extend the range of our bombards. A great scientist, Emilie du Chatelet, helps us towards developing economics, rifling, and sanitation.

Our navy could easily conquer Korea, but China is too far inland and would require a massive land army. The Australian usurper has never come close to our lands. Meanwhile, Scotland and Spain have again voted to try to remove Mauri beliefs from Stirling.

A strong push from our envoys overturns China's suzerainty and makes Brunei pay tribute to us. They have no military because we sank their fleet, but they'll inform us about enemy naval movements near their island.

Our wonders inspire a great artist, Donatello, who begins making statues for the art museum in Kupe's Great Return. These will inspire our culture and attract tourists, but don't contribute to our faith.

Beijing rebels and tries to rejoin China. The uprising is brutally crushed, killing another 70,000 people and forcing them to remain part of our empire.

The Khmer have been generally unfriendly to us, but they open their borders to let one of our bombard units retreat to safety. The long siege of Angkor Thom ends with almost half a million civilian dead, and our knights wonder whether the Duke will return the city to the Khmer or keep it for the Maori.

The Maori have a population of 13,632,062, with another 381,142 people in occupied cities. The people are not ready for a new form of government yet, but it will come within a lifetime. The military emergency caused by the Australian usurper is about to end; we have crushed China and Korea's armies and could likely conquer them in retaliation.

Votes from the Fishermen's Guild no longer count double, though they remain closed to new members. The Builder's Guild no longer exists after too many years with no influence. If you weren't part of the Fishermen's Guild, choose the Forester's Guild or Miner's Guild and vote on the following policies:

Should we return Angkor Thom to Cambodia, or use it as a beachhead to conquer China and Korea?
It turns out faith is not useful for making archaeologists, so we have a surplus of missionaries; Should our missionaries protect established Mauri beliefs on the British Isles, or grow the seeds of faith sprouting in Asia?
Should we research difficult advanced technology, or various simpler technologies?

If you didn't vote for the next form of government, or want to change your vote, you can. On July 4th at 9:00 pm Eastern, I will stream on Twitch for two hours so people can directly contribute to decision-making, and continue to stream at that timeslot on subsequent evenings.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Wait, before you go ANY FURTHER, go watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0pBzowOKU4

Then come back, and then vote.

I would like to join the Forester's Guild and vote on the following policies:

Keep Angkor Thom use it as a beachhead to conquer China and Korea.
Grow the seeds of faith sprouting in Asia.
Research difficult advanced technology

Full Communism now.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
As a member of the Forester's Guild, I agree with my colleague on much, specifically:

Keeping Angkor Thom for our own
Bringing the light of faith to this benighted continent
Soaring ahead of our rivals in the most cutting edge discipline

We differ on what form our government should take, however. I have already made my opinion on that clear.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

we've been expending quickly, now it's time to consolidate:

return Angkor Thom to Cambodia
protect established Mauri beliefs on the British Isles
research simpler technologies

and also :ussr:

E:Miners of the land, unite!

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 3, 2020

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Return Angkor Thorn. We've demonstrated our might, and trying to hold it would do more harm than good in the long run. Perhaps, in exchange for our benevolence for doing so, the people of Asia might be more accepting of our Missionaries?

And as for technology, I'm curious as to what the true limits of flight may be... we've only but scratched the surface! We should focus on specific, difficult technology. It might become a useful ace in the hole.

e: I continue to be part of the :coolfish: club and communism club

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 3, 2020

Bregor
May 31, 2013

:coolfish: Fishermen's Guild :coolfish: (no longer double the influence but still double the cool)

Use Angkor Thom to conquer China

Protect Mauri on the British Isles

Advanced technology to gain access to more Wonders and military units

Still going with Communism! :ussr:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Remember to pick a guild! Forester or Miner, edit it into your comment please.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Forester's Guild:

Return Angkor Thom to Cambodia.
Might earn us some points with the rest of the world.
Let's not abandon Ireland and Wales, at least.
I'm leaning towards advanced technology, though I hope we aren't neglecting something important.

Communism sounds pretty useful.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Enjoying the LP so far! Wonder if we could get a "state of the world"? Curious how the other civs (at least those near the coast) are doing.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I remain in the Forester's Guild.

Return Angkor Thom to Cambodia.
We'll earn ourselves a friend in the fight, and we already have right of passage.
Bolster our British believers. Winning the challenge strengthens our faith.
advanced technology but backfill as needed on occasion.

Communism for production and science!

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Fishermen's guild

Return Angkor Thom, Cambodia could become a good ally once we grow the seeds of faith sprouting in Asia. Surely the Maori know all that is known in the world, which is why we are speading our knowledge to others; with that in mind, we can only advance technologies further.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

mining guild

The mining guild pushed for war with China. If the only way to further that war is to keep angkor thom then so be it. Make sure mauri is spread to it and something of worldly beauty is created there for compensation to these people

also, while we aren't religious, we must insist on spreading mauri beliefs in the rainy isles so that they can see the divine beauty in worldly creation.

however, while we advance far we must not let loose thread go unwound. research simpler technologies so that we are more evened in balance.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Quick question for the thread — Civ VI is on sale on the Switch. My PC is olde and had trouble with Civ V so that's off for now. Has anyone played it there? Are the UI/controls workable? If it's too janky I'll just wait til I upgrade.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

No update tonight, so here's the state of the world. I'll play to Democracy tomorrow and update before I start to stream at 9:00 pm Eastern.

Our allies in Rome have the largest empire. Our international standing has improved recently, but our fellow warmongers are the only ones willing to form alliances.

The Sumerians have second-most technology in the world, besides us. They are struggling to hold the edges of their empire, however, and Cairo will probably fall soon.

We have yet to map South America, but our ambassadors say that Brazil has the most politically sophisticated culture in the world.

With over 2 million citizens, Xi'an is the second-largest city in the world, after O Ngunnawal. China has some of the most advanced science in the world, but they're still behind us.

The Aztecs have conquered almost all of the United States. They seem to have much more respect for rainforests than the Americans did.

The Maori are doing well in terms of diplomacy, culture, and science. We're a long way from converting the entire world to Mauri beliefs, but perhaps it can still be done.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Some of the guilds are bitterly divided about how to spread our religion through the world. Only the Miner's Guild are unanimous, so our missionaries will do what they ask and protect our fellow Mauri believers in Scotland.

Return Angkor Thom
Spread our beliefs in Asia
Advanced technology

Undecided
Undecided
Advanced technology

The Miner's Guild votes for:
Undecided
Protect our beliefs in the British Isles
Simple technology

Our knights return Angkor Thom to the Khmer, and their regard for us increases greatly.

China agrees to end the war and cede their claim to the island of Changsha. Korea gives us all of their gold in exchange for peace.

The return of peace gives us increased science from Geneva. We change our policies to make it cheaper to maintain our large military in case of another perfidious attack.

Tarntanyangga completes another Wonder of the World, which increases the benefits we get from our many tributary city-states. We now have friendship or fealty from every city-state in the world.

Our privateers capture a settler from barbarians in Japan. (The red settler flag in the water is a visual glitch when a naval unit captures a civilian with a coastal raid)

Thanks to our archaeologists, we have enough artifacts to create a Museum of Classical World History in Mian-jin, which increases our cultural sophistication and attracts tourists to our empire.

One of our Apostles has the ability to convert heathen barbarians to join our military. This action impresses Kabul so greatly that we become their suzerain!

A devastating eruption kills 420,000 people in Auckland. Fortunately, our national park is undamaged.

The long-ongoing housing crisis in Taumutu is resolved with the creation of a neighbourhood over what was once a thriving forest. Sadly, the people here will lose some of their devotion to faith as a result of replacing nature with suburbs.

Our wave of apostles and missionaries arrives in Stirling to convert the city back to our religion. The missionaries realize that they can also convert nearby cities in order to protect and strengthen our beliefs throughout the area.

The king of Spain is unhappy with our missionaries, and he denounces us!

Our settlers establish the village of Kaiapoi, which means "Food brought in from other places". Looking at the nearby volcano they say, "We'll be fine. All mountains smoke a little, right?"

The world votes to abolish the cruel practice of whaling, letting those beautiful creatures live. Countries that used to practice whaling will be unhappy with the loss of their perfumes and oil lanterns.

Our apostle explores Africa, converting barbarians to join the Maori wherever he finds them. We will finally make maps of Africa and South America.

Our citizens create the O Ngunnawal Opera House in the former Australian capital, a Wonder that will hopefully inspire great musicians in our nation.

With our sophisticated culture, the people understand that the struggle for power between the rich and the common people is an eternal political struggle. They throw off the shackles of our guild system, and establish a communist government where the people will vote more often and have their votes counted equally.

The Maori population of 16,497,500 makes us the most populous empire in the world. We could feasibly have our culture overpower every other culture, or be acknowledged as the empire that has done the most to make the world a better place. We remain a long way from making our religion the majority in every nation, or conquering the world, but our missionaries are diligent and our military is unrivalled.

The first decision for our people will be the new economic policy. Collectivization, Heritage Tourism, Public Works, or Trade Confederation would be strong choices. Don't vote here, vote on Twitch.tv in 90 minutes at 9:00 pm Eastern.

https://www.twitch.tv/chamale0

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

After a few minutes of difficulty, I got streaming on Twitch where Blaziken386, PaperDoopliss, and Faded_Outline discussed and voted on what to do next!

The people voted to help the workers of the world with a sizable gift of gold to help Tomyris recover from a disaster.

Our apostle converts so many military units in Africa that both Mali and the Zulu are suspicious that we might be planning a war. The Premier promises them that we are peace-loving people.

Religious struggle with Spain continues. Sometimes we manage to convert all their cities to Mauri, but a massive swarm of Spanish Inquisitors keeps converting the cities back.

Some of the cities that converted to Mauri are beginning to rebel against King Phillip.

Our people vote to develop a culture of professional sports, which will make life better in the crowded cities.

The Khmer approach us with an offer of friendship, and soon our nations have formed an economic alliance.

Sweden, and later the Aztecs, denounce us for trying to spread our religion so far outside our borders.

We have not mastered steel, we have no idea what uranium is, but the people have voted to study technology that will let us create nuclear submarines.

A catastrophic volcanic eruption kills over 340,000 of our people in Taumutu! Somehow, none of our infrastructure is damaged and the city needs little time to become just as productive as ever.

Our builders complete a ski resort in the Australian Outback, the first of several that we will use to attract more tourists.

We have successfully defended our beliefs in Stirling. The people vote to send apostles to Aztec territory in a bid to convert their backwards people and remind them of the importance of preserving rainforests.

Our explorers find a tribal village in Antarctica who teach us how to develop a nuclear program. A greatly-appreciated boost.

The people vote to increase our gold reserves as much as possible until we can use our knowledge of economics to grow them even further. Some of the ancient forests near our capital have to be cut down to make way for our new commercial hub and bank.

Charles Darwin studies science in the Pantanal of the Amazon rainforest, and immediately teaches our society mastery of replaceable parts and chemistry.

Ironically, "rapid deployment" is more important for the space victory than the Space Race civic. Our people vote for Space Race, and vote to establish a settlement in Antarctica and farm fish there.

As we develop our culture, we vote to send rock bands to other nations instead of missionaries and apostles. The First Hippies will go to Spain and try to incite rebellion in their cities.

We discover another sophisticated Antarctic village that tells us about rapid deployment. We also find a totalitarian village that inspires us towards fascism, if we didn't already have a perfect form of communist government.

The Maori population is 21,348,193. We are doing quite well in international diplomacy and tourism, and our religion has the most adherents in the world. Feel free to comment with thoughts about the direction of our society if you can't make it to the livestreams. I'll be streaming again tomorrow night at 9:00 pm Eastern. https://www.twitch.tv/chamale0

megane
Jun 20, 2008

An isolated village of scattered straw huts on the Antarctic permafrost teaching the Maori how to build nukes in 1440 AD is pretty much peak Civilization.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

megane posted:

An isolated village of scattered straw huts on the Antarctic permafrost teaching the Maori how to build nukes in 1440 AD is pretty much peak Civilization.

Crashed alien spaceship buried in the Antarctic Ice needs to be a Civ discovery.

Their Spearmen then sink your Battleship.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Worst natural disaster in human history.

"At least the park's ok."

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Comstar posted:

Crashed alien spaceship buried in the Antarctic Ice needs to be a Civ discovery.

Their Spearmen then sink your Battleship.

It is. There's a random event where a "meteor" hits the earth, and exploring it gives you an advanced weapon.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Worst natural disaster in human history.

"At least the park's ok."

The Taumutu eruption somehow didn't damage a single building or fish farm. Maybe those three hundred thousand people were climbing the volcano at the time.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 5, 2020

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Lol if you can't organize a proper active volcano spelunking mob.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Our rock bands begin performing concerts around the world to spread Maori culture. Nga Tauti ("The Beetles") performs bests at harbours, so they tour various coastal empires of the world.

Aztec inquisitors kill our apostles, so the people vote to declare a colonial war on them, and liberate the captured American cities in the hopes of making an ally on the continent.

After leaving it for a long time, we vote to develop siege tactics, which unlocks a wide variety of new military technology.

Tenochtitlan falls with 580,000 civilian dead. Montezuma calls a vote in the World Congress for someone to fight back, but only Canada supports the vote - and without the vote passing, they won't declare war on their own.

1590 AD, The Year The Music Died. Nga Tauti breaks up due to creative differences after a disastrous performance, and so do The First Hippies. Schoolhouse Rock becomes the biggest name in Maori Music, performing at campuses throughout South America.

Our navy captured Tenochtitlan easily, and now it must go around the horn of South America to attack the east coast. Our observation balloons allow our bombards to besiege Aztec cities with impunity from long range.

As the world enters the industrial era, we vote to dedicate our nation to ocean travel with Hic Sunt Dracones.

We gain a settlement in Antarctica, and our musketeers battle the Nazi penguin barbarians that overrun the continent.

Changsha creates its first wonder to inspire its people, and attract even non-religious tourists to see this marvel of architecture.

Our thematic archaeological museums generate increased amounts of tourism and contribute greatly to our culture.

Kupe's Great Return completes Big Ben, which gives us a 50% increase to the gold in our treasury - to our wealthy nation, that's a lump sum of almost 10,000.

With a population of 26,886,651 in our borders and 669,212 in occupied cities, the Maori remain the most populous empire in the world. Our diplomatic reputation has taken a hit lately, but we remain known as the most reliable country to help friends in an emergency. Foreign tourists are starting to travel much more often to our beautiful cities.

Our politically conscious citizens are ready to move towards a more advanced form of government. Vote in this thread for the new government.

Distributed sovereignty will benefit our culture, while weakening our military. Twitch viewers will approve a president each turn to tell me exactly what to build, buy, and research.
Optimization imperative will benefit production, while lowering tourism. Twitch viewers will choose a victory condition to maximize, and our benevolent supercomputer dictator will solely pursue that victory.
Corporate libertarianism will benefit production while lowering science. Every action will be taken with the sole purpose of maximizing gold income wherever possible.

I'll be streaming again tomorrow night at 9:00 pm Eastern. https://www.twitch.tv/chamale0

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Distributed Sovereignty seems the most sensible in terms of results, but also the most tedious.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
This update was a lovely story, but here's the history the government doesn't want you to know.

Look at this madness. It was like this for the entire update. The workers spent like 10 minutes trying to get Chamale to build some traders, but our voices weren't particularly listened to were brutally suppressed by the state. Not only did this mildly inconvenience cripple our ability to draw tourists to our shores, but it further offended Twitch chat's sense of propriety contributed to our neighbours' alienation towards us. What sort of so-called "worker's party" would deny its workers the fruits of a well-supported logistics network?

This sort of mismanagement, and the scattershot approach it represents, have shown that we've come as far as we can under human government. If we are truly to stand the test of time, we must move past our primitive power structures and unite behind an intelligence that can achieve a well-defined optimization imperative. Also, we're snowballing ahead of everyone and it's probably time to put this puppy away.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Optimization Imperative all the way baby. Let’s go out and win this thing.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Optimization Imperative.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

By popular demand posted:

Lol if you can't organize a proper active volcano spelunking mob.

I mean... i know you're joking but. With this playthrough in particular... *looks sadly at Whakaari*

Still hurts man

simplefish fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Distributed Sovereignty

When you're an :anarchists: you go all the way!