Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
It could have happened! Hoffman, although immensely talented, would have been a bit too dour for the role, IMO. Is there any other actor you could envision as Michael Scott who could have equaled or surpassed Steve Carell?

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1275817206509600770

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I really liked Bob Odenkirk's audition tape. His would have been a very interesting, though I think not as eventually likeable, Michael Scott

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Narzack posted:

I really liked Bob Odenkirk's audition tape. His would have been a very interesting, though I think not as eventually likeable, Michael Scott

Saul Goodman is in the mix here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJffpP8KDvM

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Yeah, it's good stuff. I've often wondered if the final decision came down to him and Steve.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

It's like they went with my least favorite choice when casting the characters.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Gaunab posted:

You're just going to have to direct your own network show!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Want to make a joke about Asian Jim but unsure how to proceed

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gaunab posted:

Adam Scott as Jim would have made The Office a lot more interesting to me. The ennui and self-hatred present in five seconds...loving delicious.

Never liked Jim as a character, prob has a lot to do with the actor playing him. In the British version, he's much more of a relatable sad sack.

I guess Scott got to play that version of Jim in Party Down.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
gently caress I forgot about party down. Add it to my list of shows that were cancelled unduly while the simpsons yet lives

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

He would have been awesome in I'm Thinking of Ending Things instead of Jesse Plemons, even if he probably would have been too old by now if he'd been alive. And yeah, I know it's fitting with synecdoche new york.

Milo and POTUS posted:

gently caress I forgot about party down. Add it to my list of shows that were cancelled unduly while the simpsons yet lives

I still can't hear "hard sci-fi" without thinking of that show

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I miss Party Down more than The Office.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

That's because Party Down is much better than the office

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Adam Scott and Bob Odenkirk would have been good choices, but the rest of the auditions didn't click for me. I love Katherine Hahn, but she would have made a horrible Pam. I don't think I like any of the Dwights but they're so different from Rainn Wilson it's hard to picture how it would work.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

I would have loved to see Angela Kinsey's audition for Pam, especially since Jenna Fischer's audition didn't seem all that great.

Also, Adam Scott and...the Asian guy whose name I don't remember :doh: are much too charming to play Jim.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

enki42 posted:

Adam Scott and Bob Odenkirk would have been good choices, but the rest of the auditions didn't click for me. I love Katherine Hahn, but she would have made a horrible Pam. I don't think I like any of the Dwights but they're so different from Rainn Wilson it's hard to picture how it would work.

Bill Hader looks like Dwight already

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
PSH would have made such a good Trump

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

YeahTubaMike posted:

I would have loved to see Angela Kinsey's audition for Pam, especially since Jenna Fischer's audition didn't seem all that great.

Also, Adam Scott and...the Asian guy whose name I don't remember :doh: are much too charming to play Jim.

Which Asian guy? John Cho?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Milo and POTUS posted:

Which Asian guy? John Cho?

Yes! Thank you.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Oh thank god. I didn't watch the video before I asked that and I'm so glad it wasn't randall park

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i just wanna watch Alias with Jenna Fischer instead of that plastic lady

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

They probably would have tailored the role to account for them being much more likeable. I'm not sure about John Cho, but I imagine a Adam Scott Jim would have been hosed over and made miserable far more cause that's what Adam Scott is kinda best at as a lead.

Dwight's casting was kind of impeccable for what they went with, though Judah Friedlander or Patton Oswalt would probably have made very good, if different, characters fitting a similar role. Seth Rogan would have suuuucked. Kinda surprised he wasn't a Jim option honestly.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

A Sometimes Food posted:

They probably would have tailored the role to account for them being much more likeable. I'm not sure about John Cho, but I imagine a Adam Scott Jim would have been hosed over and made miserable far more cause that's what Adam Scott is kinda best at as a lead.

Dwight's casting was kind of impeccable for what they went with, though Judah Friedlander or Patton Oswalt would probably have made very good, if different, characters fitting a similar role. Seth Rogan would have suuuucked. Kinda surprised he wasn't a Jim option honestly.

As someone who didn't finally start watching The Office until COVID (and, admittedly, made it to the end of S1 before basically giving up), Bob Odenkirk and Patton Oswalt would've been eons better than Carell (who seems to have the same dweeb character in everything he plays) and Wilson (who is infinitely punchable in the show).

Shageletic posted:

Adam Scott as Jim would have made The Office a lot more interesting to me. The ennui and self-hatred present in five seconds...loving delicious.

Never liked Jim as a character, prob has a lot to do with the actor playing him. In the British version, he's much more of a relatable sad sack.

I guess Scott got to play that version of Jim in Party Down.

The only reason I made it as far as I did in the show was Jim and Pam.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

drat. Your taste sucks.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Season 2 is essentially an entirely different show so you may want to give it a shot

Granted that very good show falls apart eventually but still there's some good stuff in there for a while

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Oh right. Yeah, sorry. Jim and pam are much better early on.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I think if they casted the people i like instead of who they actually casted it with, it would have been canceled after 3 seasons.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Riptor posted:

Season 2 is essentially an entirely different show so you may want to give it a shot

Granted that very good show falls apart eventually but still there's some good stuff in there for a while

Starting with Season 2 (when they get a handle on Michael Scott and have him being more of a bumbling example of the Peter Principle as opposed to a nefarious dickhead), The Office is very good to oftentimes excellent. It dips a little bit when Pam and Jim get together and it really goes to poo poo after they get pregnant (which, as I recall, was around the same time they started putting Ed Helms front and center to the point that it felt like he was in 18 minutes of every 22-minute episode), and then the post-Michael seasons are pretty rough with occasional bright spots.

One hell of a series finale, though.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Office works better if you believe that Dinner Party is a short comedy film, one of the best ever made, and all the episodes beforehand are just prequels/training materials so you're familiar with the characters you see in Dinner Party, and all the episodes after are the words over the credits explaining to you what happened to the characters after the movie.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seasons 2-5 of The Office own so much

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Do people not like dinner party? That's a truly great episode. Even if you dislike cringey stuff (you probably shouldn't be watching the office), it's still no scots tots

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Milo and POTUS posted:

Do people not like dinner party? That's a truly great episode. Even if you dislike cringey stuff (you probably shouldn't be watching the office), it's still no scots tots

The people I know who love The Office love it and feel it’s the show’s peak in a lot of ways. People who don’t like the show tend not to make it that far.

It did take me a while to warm up to it. I think it clicked around the basketball episode.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Milo and POTUS posted:

Dinner Party best marries early-awkward office with later-wacky office. Scots Tots is the opposite, where it’s such a horrible thing to do that it invokes the awful Michael Scott from Season 1 without the nihilistic critique of workplace culture that came with it.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

The Office is kind of like The Simpsons for me, where so much of its existence is/was as a shambling corpse that it's hard to recall how great it was at its best. That said, as terrible as late Office became, Robert California I found genuinely funny. Nothing else about it really worked, but James Spader was so much funnier than I would've imagined.

"Dinner Party" is easily the best episode, though. Hunter's CD especially is so loving funny in concept and execution.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

CBJSprague24 posted:

As someone who didn't finally start watching The Office until COVID (and, admittedly, made it to the end of S1 before basically giving up), Bob Odenkirk and Patton Oswalt would've been eons better than Carell (who seems to have the same dweeb character in everything he plays) and Wilson (who is infinitely punchable in the show).

I've actually never seen Steve Carell in anything else, but if seeing him before in similar roles ruined The Office for you, then I'm glad I haven't.

Also, not to say that your opinion is wrong or anything, but Dwight is meant to be a punchable character. I know that punchability can be a ruinous trait, but I liked Dwight and I thought Rainn Wilson did a good job.

quote:

The only reason I made it as far as I did in the show was Jim and Pam.

Well, it seems you and I have diametrically opposed opinions. The only thing keeping me from binging The Office from the beginning is the Jim/Pam "will they or won't they" bullshit (it's obvious they will, even from the first episode), and their little love story lasts just until The Office starts declining altogether. Michael & Holly were a thousand times more charming, although I understood why they couldn't last. Dwight & Angela were more fun to watch too.

I ctrl-F'ed my username like five times while writing this, because I could have sworn I basically posted this exact thing here. Maybe it was a different thread.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Dinner Party is one of the best episodes of television ever made, and I haven't seen Scott's Tots in an EXTREMELY long time so I'm not sure how it compares but I'm sure Dinner Party is better.

Xealot posted:

That said, as terrible as late Office became, Robert California I found genuinely funny.

James Spader acted the hell out of the Robert California character but while I appreciated his talent, I had a boss exactly like that when the Robert California episodes were airing so I found that arc borderline unwatchable.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xealot posted:

"Dinner Party" is easily the best episode, though. Hunter's CD especially is so loving funny in concept and execution.

There's also something to Jan's rendition of 'Son of a Preacher Man' while Jim explains to the camera exactly what the song is about.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Michael and his plasma tv is one of the funniest bits in that episode.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
dinner party is fantastically good and it justifies the show which otherwise veers between merely ok and kinda crappy. the office reminds me of peep show, where the show reaches a strong fourth season climax and then kind of fumbles along after that without really knowing what to do except 'remain on air'. though peep show at its worst is still higher quality than the office most of the time. i guess we'd have to see how regrettably bad an american remake of peep show would be

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/that-one-night-the-oral-history-of-the-greatest-office-episode-ever-629472/

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 19, 2020

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

luxury handset posted:

i guess we'd have to see how regrettably bad an american remake of peep show would be

We already saw. Twice, as I recall.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I see why Rainn Wilsons audition got him it because the other actors including Oswalt sound like they're bullshitting when they talk about weird authoritarian poo poo but Wilsons Dwight comes off like he's absolutely one bad day away from ending up on the news.

Adam Scotts Jim is better though because I hate how smug Kransinky's comes off and its always ruined the show for me

luxury handset posted:

dinner party is fantastically good and it justifies the show which otherwise veers between merely ok and kinda crappy. the office reminds me of peep show, where the show reaches a strong fourth season climax and then kind of fumbles along after that without really knowing what to do except 'remain on air'. though peep show at its worst is still higher quality than the office most of the time. i guess we'd have to see how regrettably bad an american remake of peep show would be

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/that-one-night-the-oral-history-of-the-greatest-office-episode-ever-629472/

There is a pilot of the american episode of peep show online. It

1. Does not have the voiceovers
2. is not filmed pov.

Also they try and do the bit where Mark draws Sophie a picture of a love heart with a swastika in it, but they ruin the joke by making it Jeremy who adds the swastika. Marks whole character supposed to be that he's actually darker than he's willing to acknowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

massive spider posted:

I see why Rainn Wilsons audition got him it because the other actors including Oswalt sound like they're bullshitting when they talk about weird authoritarian poo poo but Wilsons Dwight comes off like he's absolutely one bad day away from ending up on the news.

Adam Scotts Jim is better though because I hate how smug Kransinky's comes off and its always ruined the show for me

Agreed on both points. Dwight's an interesting character for a sitcom because he's just so mean-spirited. Patton Oswalt or Seth Rogen are naturally affable personalities and that still shines through here, but Dwight was basically an alt-right Reddit incel before those terms existed, and Rainn Wilson was the only one willing to go that intense and offputting with it.

gently caress yeah about Jim, though. I don't dislike John Krasinski, but Jim was super smug and it got worse as the show progressed. Whoever said Adam Scott injects a ton of self-loathing into his performances is dead-on; that's pretty much the main thing humanizing Adam Scott's character on Party Down and it probably would've made me like Jim more. But then, Party Down probably wouldn't have happened. Likewise Bob Odenkirk, who would've been a fine Michael Scott but is an exceptional Saul Goodman. Things worked out as they should've.