Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

My wife is getting me to eat more meatless stuff and frankly I've been really enjoying cooking and eating it all... But seeing that pic holy poo poo that looks amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I had a sandwich for lunch, it was tasty.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

i hosed up a run of homemade yogurt by using an unfamiliar milk brand and not scalding it long enough so it didn't set. the runny yogurt still tasted good so i said gently caress it and turned the whole thing into ricotta. came out quite sour with a yogurty flavor, actually very good. found some jumbo shells forgotten in the back of the pasta drawer so i used the ricotta to make a bunch of stuffed shells. rollercoaster of emotions folks

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

sounds like it turned out good. i guess you just gotta stay positive and take it as it comes if you wanna eat

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

vegetarian nachos. Morningstar soy crumbles are an amazing taco meat substitute

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

nachos are my favorite excuse to dump a boatload of pickled jalapenos and hot sauce on something

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
leftover-steak sandwich and wine 😎

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

oxsnard posted:

vegetarian nachos. Morningstar soy crumbles are an amazing taco meat substitute

looks good as hell

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

so the pork bones, chicken skin/bones leftover from last week's smoke went into the instant pot along with all the limp produce in my fridge plus an onion and dehydrated garlic. The broth is insanely smoky and look at that fat on the top!

Gonna make tortilla soup with it. Pics later

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

oxsnard posted:

so the pork bones, chicken skin/bones leftover from last week's smoke went into the instant pot along with all the limp produce in my fridge plus an onion and dehydrated garlic. The broth is insanely smoky and look at that fat on the top!

Gonna make tortilla soup with it. Pics later

Hell yeah. Finished pics a must.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
btw I've cut my meat consumption by probably 75% in the past year by doing things like (in addition to more vegetarian meals) using less in each meal and choosing cooking methods that allow ultimate meat flavor extraction.

Cook chicken thighs or quarters instead of breasts and do it in the air fryer. All that schmaltz that pools at the bottom is a great addition to meals to give them 90% of the pleasure of eating meat.

I still cook more meat than I would for just myself because my kids need to calories and it's really hard to do it without relying on either meat or cheese. The next step is to cut back on cheese for myself as its way too much of a crutch. A lazy way to make mediocre dishes tase way better

anyways, keep posting your meals

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

I dig it. My wife and I have been doing more meatless style meals in general. I mean I still prefer meat style proteins but it's been nice to branch out.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I used to do mass balance calculations for stuff like carbon emissions and I've been wanting to make a website forever on the topic regarding food.

The biggest thing I've realized is that a huge percentage of the beef we consume is totally ridiculous. Totally wasted in stuff like tacos, meatloaf, meatballs, chili, sausages, mediocre roasts and deli meat when there are WAY less carbon intensive meats/veggies that are acceptable or better substitutions. I save beef for things like smoking, a really good steak, or cheeseburgers where the flavor of beef is a central part of the experience.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

oxsnard posted:

I used to do mass balance calculations for stuff like carbon emissions and I've been wanting to make a website forever on the topic regarding food.

The biggest thing I've realized is that a huge percentage of the beef we consume is totally ridiculous. Totally wasted in stuff like tacos, meatloaf, meatballs, chili, sausages, mediocre roasts and deli meat when there are WAY less carbon intensive meats/veggies that are acceptable or better substitutions. I save beef for things like smoking, a really good steak, or cheeseburgers where the flavor of beef is a central part of the experience.

(sweating) While I'm trying to reduce my carbon footprint by reducing beef intake; I will fight a holy righteous war to earn my selfish right to consume carne asade tacos. I'll considering laying down my steel if we substitute pork though. On a more serious note; we've generally reduced our actual beef consumption a massive amount. Though I can't really take credit for it; it's more really that my wife just generally doesn't enjoy beef.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I'll simp for a good carne asada tho

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I am pretty sure most of the ammonia fumes wafted out of the oven before I used it, might die after this pizza, will check in later

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

twoday posted:

I am pretty sure most of the ammonia fumes wafted out of the oven before I used it, might die after this pizza, will check in later

im hoping it's a great pizza for your sake homie

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
At the arrhythmia household we make our tacos using lentils instead of meat. Very tasy, and also powerfully increase my farts (very important)

twoday
May 4, 2005

Professor of Cats posted:

im hoping it's a great pizza for your sake homie

prpettyj goood pizza yeahkj

feelwinhg sleepy now

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

if you want vegetarian tacos that own bones make fry bread instead of tortillas... takes some practice to find the right balance between crunch and chewiness but when you nail it it's amazing

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Spoondick posted:

if you want vegetarian tacos that own bones make fry bread instead of tortillas... takes some practice to find the right balance between crunch and chewiness but when you nail it it's amazing

yeah when I have new Mexican green chili stew in the freezer (not having access to a billion different varieties was the worst part of leaving Colorado), I do fry bread with mushroom taco meat (or soy crumbles or ground turkey) and green chili

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

wife went overboard at the Mexican bakery. She's pregnant so it's pretty par for the course. I've got these really great looking rolls and they look almost like French bread. Trying to decide if paté and kim chi bahn mis or carnitas sandwiches is a better idea

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Congrats dude. You posted about kids before, which # is this?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
#3. Not planned

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

“you already know the older two, but let me introduce our beloved unplanned child, misha”

“dad ive been asking you to stop calling me that for 15 years”

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

lmao this conversation

anyway, if you have pate the answer is banh mi oxsnard

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Crusty Nutsack posted:

lmao this conversation

anyway, if you have pate the answer is banh mi oxsnard

I've got a bag of frozen livers (they go in when I get whole chickens) in the freezer so I'd have to make the paté. But yeah I may do that

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

oxsnard posted:

#3. Not planned

Congrats. If you wanna stop having more, I know a guy that can tell you which urologist to avoid.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I meant to make this post here but it went in the cooking thread lol

Crusty Nutsack posted:

made a giant fuckoff bun thit nuong for dinner, that's that vietnamese noodle salad I posted the recipe for earlier

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

Congrats. If you wanna stop having more, I know a guy that can tell you which urologist to avoid.

Lmao

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I meant to make this post here but it went in the cooking thread lol

goddamn

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
the tortilla soup turned out good but it looks like toilet water after you've barfed up your dinner from chipotle

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

i've been on vacations with a couple friends (corona is not nearly as widespread here so relatively safe to rent a small house for a week in the middle of nowhere with people who take precautions before the trip) and i'm pretty sure i've eaten enough meat for the year. might post some butter-grilled fish pics later

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Gonna have some pumpkin soup for dinner, will post pictures when its done (warning my camera is poo poo). Eat food not war

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

im gonna try to make some baked beans for dinner tonight. i couldn't find the vegetarian bacon substitute lying around so i'm going to use regular ol bacon in them

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

I promised to post this and so I shall, even though it looks kinda poo poo

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i think the lighting and plating doesn't help but i want to give that soup the benefit of the doubt i bet it tastes good

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

it looks like you tipped a lot of soup out of that bowl though before you remembered you wanted to take a photo so jury's out

twoday
May 4, 2005

dark photo
night soup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

baked bean plans foiled because i need to soak the beans overnight, i'll do it tomorrow