Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Pan Dulce posted:

I wonder how they're going to do the star eyes without it looking stupid.

like this?
they'll probably still do it less subtly for closeups and it will look dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

also besides kana i really dont feel those picks. asuka saito is cute, but she doesn't really give off the ai vibe? iunno

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

She was center for a lot of nogi46 songs, but I always imagined B-Komachi as more of a street style idol group than a Sakamichi series style idol group. but eh, maybe it works!

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I appreciate the in-joke of having actors in their 20s+ play teenagers but they really did Ano dirty by putting that much makeup under her eyes. Mem-cho is supposed to pass! You really didn't have to make it that overt!

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
138: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1019734

Aka decided we were overdue for a tragic death of an important character to spice up the story

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Himekawa is such a dork :allears:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
what is Frill's part in all this? Is she even in the movie now?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Rest in Peace car

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

GateOfD posted:

what is Frill's part in all this? Is she even in the movie now?

Frill is playing Airi, the women who raped him, and the mother of Aqua’s half brother

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Looking forward to Himekawa's car making the top 10 in future character polls.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Pan Dulce posted:

I wonder how they're going to do the star eyes without it looking stupid.

Same but for the talking babies.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

ZiegeDame posted:

Same but for the talking babies.

Probably age them up slightly so they can be toddlers, who can be taught dances like that.

Stupid, but slightly funnier answer: Renesmee that poo poo.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Just a voiceover of a couple of carefully costumed golden retriever puppies, played completely strait

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
The adult actors in Weinerville style puppets as babies, and then completely different child actors playing them as toddlers.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That is an insane, obscure thing to reference

But I appreciate it

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
139: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1019944

We’ve known about Airi having raped Hikaru for a long time, but actually “seeing it” (for lack for a better word I guess) really gave some some shivers, especially with the way the art changes

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
Aqua and his half-brother mesh pretty well with eachother. Hope they keep the friendship going after all this.

lol, 'middle school aqua so adorable' isn't he still in high school, he's just wearing a middle school jacket again.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I've heard people suggest that the father is also reincarnated from an adult, so the real version of events might've played differently.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Happy Valentines Day, here’s Chapter 140:https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1020028

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
yikes

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

I feel bad for him, but I also feel like that B99 quote.

"Cool motive, still murder."

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
its a nicely done blur of reality/make believe
like its treated as a flashback, but what we're actually reading is the movie scenes right? Hard to tell because Ai/Aqua in dress look passing for flashback tier, then we get to Frill with her lizard eyes and I'm like oh right, its a movie. So have to wonder which parts are embellished to make an actual movie, like Aqua probably knows who x who, but all the in between stuff, he has no way of knowing.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

This has been an interesting way to flesh out a backstory, using the veneer of a film that is explicitly a secondhand dramatization. Fits in perfectly with this manga’s theme, as the reader has no way to know precisely how much of what they’re reading is actually true in the universe of the story.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Interesting to also use this in a counterpoint in intentions. Ai wanted to use "lies" for self-defense and to connect with people (no matter how paradoxical or counterproductive that might be), Aqua is using "lies" (though more just filling in the blanks he doesn't know) in order to hurt one very specific person. Both know how to mix in enough truth to make things really hurt.

The production has also been a good way to shed more light on the present-day characters and their relationships. Feels like we're due to find out more about just what's going on with Frill. If the star (black star) eyes are for weaponizing lies, do the lizard eyes mean anything in particular?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Frill pls do not turn out to be a pedophile

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
141:https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1020027

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Heavy stuff being covered here.

Followed by those last pages lmao Frill lmao Ruby and Kana’s faces. Aka still the master of mood whiplash.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

dayum that was a heavy hitting chapter

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

Followed by those last pages lmao Frill lmao Ruby and Kana’s faces. Aka still the master of mood whiplash.

and now for something completely different!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Japanese business and entertainment industry still hosed up, news at 11. But it’s not like Hollywood is any better, though I guess #MeToo and the conviction of Harvey Weinstein hopefully will help.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
strong chapter, nice to see some flashbacks of younger Miyako again.

Frill is a true top tier professional. a true 5*
Her attitude is interesting, since a lot of the chapter was about toxic 'doing anything for your career', while Frill is demonstrating positive 'doing anything for your career' but she's demonstrating conscious boundaries in things relating with acting, and I assume not the side stuff.

I like that Aqua's half-brother has been turned into the slight comedic relief actor in the background. Love that he went to Aqua to back him up.

Last two panels is great.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Yeah, Frill and Himekawa becoming really strong background characters this arc.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The duality of man

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I want a whole chapter of Kana trying to sabotage the kiss scene in increasingly desperate, comedic ways.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Akane pls kiss Aqua

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Akane's already kissed Aqua! Give Kana a chance!

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

#TeamAnyoneButRuby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Quality Mem this week