Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
ACTING!

Brilliant!

Thank YOU!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mirage posted:

ACTING!

Brilliant!

Thank YOU!

"Case in point: Lord of the Rings. Peter Jackson comes to me in New Zealand and said to me: Sir Ian, I want you to be Gandalf the Wizard. And I said to him: You are aware that I am not really a wizard?"

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dexo posted:

Especially considering the literal best actor in the series we've seen is Akane, and she's not a method actor, she's a psycho level researcher.

yeah she's so cool

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Dexo posted:

Especially considering the literal best actor in the series we've seen is Akane, and she's not a method actor, she's a psycho level researcher.

You mispelled Kana.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I like how everyone is going loco as a result of the movie and Aqua didn't even have to push things in that direction. Their existing neuroses and the simple concept of the plot are enough to catalyze it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I like how everyone is going loco as a result of the movie and Aqua didn't even have to push things in that direction. Their existing neuroses and the simple concept of the plot are enough to catalyze it.

To be fair, the reason a number of these people have these neurosis are because of Aqua

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dexo posted:

To be fair, the reason a number of these people have these neurosis are because of Aqua

He's more of the proximate trigger than the underlying issue.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Yeah, the underlying issue is the insanity of the entertainment world, which is exactly what the script is all about. It's intended to bring all that crazy right to the surface, to make the subtext text. It's unearthing all the parts they hate about it (and themselves) and forcing them to confront them. Like all the jealousy and petty rivalries, or the bullshit stories they tell about themselves in order to cope (like Frill wrapping up her self-worth in her spurious narrative about her superior acting technique).

I thought Aqua's original intent here was a Hamlet-style "make the murderer confess or otherwise expose him" plot, but maybe it's an I, Claudius-style "Let all the poisons that lurk in the mud hatch out" plot. Maybe both.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 7, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 16 days!)

Gonna be embarrassing after all this drama and planning, if the movie just flops. Or maybe that doesn't matter, and they don't really care that it does or not.
I mean I probably wouldn't be interested in watching a B-Komachi Biopic.

So what we know so far is its a biopic of a 90's idol group that was highly popular for a very brief while, but cut short just before achieving the top crown achievement of being able to perform at the big dome. Starring a bunch of teen popstars that were in the mainstream space were in a dating show, and a few youtube accounts.
And the plan is to at the end have the characters point at the camera and go "it was you who killed Ai!" and have the murderer get heart attack or something?
People are gonna go see this hoping for Spice World and its gonna get bombed in reviews.

I kind of hope the other idol that was recently murdered gets in on this and deals the final strike out of nowhere, I felt bad for her. At least give her an isekai spin-off.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

GateOfD posted:

Gonna be embarrassing after all this drama and planning, if the movie just flops. Or maybe that doesn't matter, and they don't really care that it does or not.

So what we know so far is its a biopic of a 90's idol group that was highly popular for a very brief while, but cut short just before achieving the top crown achievement of being able to perform at the big dome. Starring a bunch of teen popstars that were in the mainstream space were in a dating show, and a few youtube accounts.
And the plan is to at the end have the characters point at the camera and go "it was you who killed Ai!" and have the murderer get heart attack or something?
People are gonna go see this hoping for Spice World and its gonna get bombed in reviews.

I kind of hope the other idol that was recently murdered gets in on this and deals the final strike out of nowhere, I felt bad for her. At least give her an isekai spin-off.

The most obvious comparison that comes to mind for this movie is Selena, right down to the family of the subject being heavily involved in the development process. You can even imagine Akane having a JLo-esque breakout from successfully playing Ai if Ruby hadn't hijacked the role for herself :v:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dexo posted:

I seem to remember something about her using a system which predates the method, but that might have been TL notes off some MD chapter.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Murdered idol during the height of the Jr idol era having a movie would be an instant sellout in Japan.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GateOfD posted:

Kana's a moderately successful actress with some lead roles, Akane's known as one of the top talents of her whole generation, and Ruby hosted a popular variety show, so they've got more than youtube and the dating show. They're not the biggest names ever, but most of the leads seem to have reached "Oh, yeah. I saw that thing with the person. I remember that name." territory.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

I had just been assuming that the movie script was going to do a hard swerve from biopic to murder drama, but even though I don't know what Japan's libel laws look like I have a hard time believing such a script would get a green light to begin with.

Regardless, there's definitely some kind of swerve in the works, but it also requires us to buy the equally preposterous idea that a script is filmed in the exact order in which the scenes are written. But one way or the other we're going to have to swallow some number of narrative conveniences.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've always assumed/hoped it was going to be a The Jinx situation.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Super Jay Mann posted:

The most obvious comparison that comes to mind for this movie is Selena, right down to the family of the subject being heavily involved in the development process. You can even imagine Akane having a JLo-esque breakout from successfully playing Ai if Ruby hadn't hijacked the role for herself :v:

Selana's actually a really good comparison, yeah. I certainly can't think of one that fits better if you wanted to think of what a Western culture version of this "movie based on Ai" situation would look like.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

I had just been assuming that the movie script was going to do a hard swerve from biopic to murder drama, but even though I don't know what Japan's libel laws look like I have a hard time believing such a script would get a green light to begin with.

Regardless, there's definitely some kind of swerve in the works, but it also requires us to buy the equally preposterous idea that a script is filmed in the exact order in which the scenes are written. But one way or the other we're going to have to swallow some number of narrative conveniences.

tmk, Japan's libel laws follow the British style so it's definitely something that'd be legally fraught IRL, but I think we're still missing details from the movie and the grand finale/reveal which is where the biggest legal hangup would be.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
135: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1019826

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

tmk, Japan's libel laws follow the British style so it's definitely something that'd be legally fraught IRL, but I think we're still missing details from the movie and the grand finale/reveal which is where the biggest legal hangup would be.

as someone who has no idea what you guys are talking about, what does any of that mean :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is this the first time we've seen ai with the black star pupils? I don't remember if it's happened before.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

lol. Good lines this chapter

"Kana will protect her"

"uh oh"

For someone that put everything in motion, Aqua sure is having a hands off approach to everything and just letting everything fall into place.
"Just trust in them" That's kind of the thing that Aqua does the least.

Where the heck is that little crow girl. Isn't she suppose to be in this. They should just have her be in the background for no reason in a corner of a panel every chapter just to show she's still hanging around.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

marumaru posted:

as someone who has no idea what you guys are talking about, what does any of that mean :v:

The UK (and Japan, if Xelkelvos's recollection is accurate) have libel laws that are much more favorable to the aggrieved party bringing the case -- that is, it's much easier to prove malicious intent to harm one's reputation than, say, in the US and other countries where the laws have more grounding in free-speech principles.

So in short if the movie is straight-up accusing a prominent entertainment-industry figure of being a murderer (and probably other things) without it having been demonstrated in a court of law, it would be extremely easy for that guy to absolutely wreck everyone involved by bringing a libel case (edit: and in a movie claiming to be a biopic with real names and everything, that would probably be standing for a libel case in any country). So the movie must be intending to accomplish Aqua's goal some other way, but it's hard to see what. If Aqua does have slam-dunk evidence up his sleeve, maybe he's predicting it would just get buried if he tried sending it through normal channels -- but if it came out during discovery as part of a messy, high-profile lawsuit, it would be much harder to ignore. That's all I've got anyway.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 20, 2023

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

in japan, just because something might be true, doesn't stop it from being libel/defamation. You can be sued/arrested for correctly accusing someone of a heinous enough action

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

The UK (and Japan, if Xelkelvos's recollection is accurate) have libel laws that are much more favorable to the aggrieved party bringing the case -- that is, it's much easier to prove malicious intent to harm one's reputation than, say, in the US and other countries where the laws have more grounding in free-speech principles.

So in short if the movie is straight-up accusing a prominent entertainment-industry figure of being a murderer (and probably other things) without it having been demonstrated in a court of law, it would be extremely easy for that guy to absolutely wreck everyone involved by bringing a libel case (edit: and in a movie claiming to be a biopic with real names and everything, that would probably be standing for a libel case in any country). So the movie must be intending to accomplish Aqua's goal some other way, but it's hard to see what. If Aqua does have slam-dunk evidence up his sleeve, maybe he's predicting it would just get buried if he tried sending it through normal channels -- but if it came out during discovery as part of a messy, high-profile lawsuit, it would be much harder to ignore. That's all I've got anyway.

That's at least plausible if he has absolute total slam dunk proof. I don't know what that proof could be though unless he tracked down flawless video footage that clearly shows the mastermind giving Ai's location to the guy with the knife and telling him to kill her or acknowledging that he knows this guy will go kill her. I feel like that's the uno reverse he'd need to have on hand for a libel trial as a way to get it fully on the record. With how weird Japan is it wouldn't surprise me if it still resulted in him losing the libel trial, but I imagine he's fine with that if he was able to get that evidence into the court record and picked up by the media at large.

My theory is that the movie is all about getting the revenge target to come after Aqua for making the movie or generally reveal himself to Aqua. Hunting the guy down himself may not be practical, but getting the guy to show up and then killing him when he does might be the plan.

I trust Aka to come up with something cool though regardless.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
136: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1019794

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I can't imagine how they're gonna resolve this. I feel like Ruby is gonna murder someone.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Ruby :ohdear:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

idk, like i'm not buying that Kana was also like the other girl that she was jealous of Ruby.
Like she didn't have any acting role as a kid.
as an idol, she sucked and wasn't that amazing, and she didn't really get any star power till she asked the old director how to game the system.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
If I could draw I would re-draw the scene from Dragonball when Cell was beating the crap out of Gohan and Piccolo yelled at Goku about it only Ruby is Gohan Kana is Cell Aqua is Goku and Mem-Cho is Piccolo

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 4, 2024

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
137 https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1019783

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Kana continues to be MVP.
give her a spin-off after this series is over

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

How miserable was Ai? Good lord.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

GateOfD posted:

Kana continues to be MVP.
give her a spin-off after this series is over

Why would she need a spinoff when she's clearly the main character? :confused:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Takoluka posted:

How miserable was Ai? Good lord.

Extremely, apparently

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

“I’m so loving happy right now.” - me, and also Ai.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
The person who was not sure if she could tell her children I love you and mean it was probably not living the good life

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Good on Ruby to instictively realize she can't follow her mother down that road, and shouldn't.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah there's a big thing going on where Akane and Arima are much closer to being like Ai than Ruby is

Aqua meanwhile is just hosed up in a different way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Oh poo poo! Live-action, coming in hot Winter 2024.

“OSHI NO KO“, will be adapted into a live-action film and drama series. The drama series will be distributed exclusively worldwide on Amazon’s Prime Video in winter 2024 and the live-action to be released theatrically in Japan by Toei.
MAIN CAST:
Aqua: Kaito Sakurai
Ai: Asuka Saito
Ruby: Nagisa Saito
Arima Kana: Nanoka Hara
Akane Kurokawa: Mizuki Kayashima
MEM: Ano

I wonder how they're going to do the star eyes without it looking stupid.