Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Y'know, I somehow find myself more willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the notion that the idol industry isn't a totally 100% misanthropic exploitative nightmare hellscape more easily than I do with reality TV.

Pretty sure that's just a relative lack of familiarity with the scene. That and I used to follow Kimura Hana on Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

This panel is giving me uncomfortable speculative visions about the future of transhumanist manga creation

I'm imagining Oda's brain, in a jar, hooked up to a robot arm

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This chapter kinda makes me wonder if the online era has provided authors with a bit more of a support network from being able to get in contact with their contemporaries a bit more easily. I'm sure there are still awkward weirdos out there, but hopefully it's easier to find someone to talk to when you can crash into a stream with someone like Akasaka on it and go "I too make the comic books"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
kana

is bad at this

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I've really never understood the "How could you possibly be in a position to lecture me about ethics? I'm more successful than you!" argument

If success and ethics had anything to do with each other then it'd be considered ethical to just bash in the heads of successful people and steal all their poo poo. I'm sure it's some bullshit about only respecting the opinion of your perceived peers, but it cheeses me off when people don't realize that their lovely behavior is only possible thanks to a vague consensus about the morals they love to flaunt.

kamoshida must suffer

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm not sure why, but I feel like this is a manga that is consistently about people learning the wrong lessons

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I kinda wish I had better frame or reference for theater performances because in my head even the half decent ones are ALL really energetic and looks-like-fun-to-do (as much as the role allows for anyway)

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
"We have the same biological father, what can you tell me about him?"
"I literally just told you that I'm an orphan!"

I'm not sure this is the strong material lead that you were hoping for, Aqua

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I had a chair that was visually indistinct from that one for a while and it was like maybe 70 bucks

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Nebrilos posted:

Why is Aqua so averse to love? It isn't even a matter of not wanting to love anyone younger than his own mental age, during his interview page in the prologue, he mentions that he won't love anyone.

This is a really weird question to ask considering the content of the most recent chapter

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Nebrilos posted:

Is Aqua actually as romantically unaffected as he says he is? When Kana tells him to try to think of some happy memories in chapter 50, the first set of memories he thinks of are all about Akane, and the second set are all about Kana.

If I had to bet, I get the feeling we're going to see Aqua's internal Doc Amemiya dramatically disappear once his long term emotional issues are resolved, and then there'll be a flash forward and he'll be dating someone his own biological age

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I have to admit, I am getting some strong Maes Hughes/Naomi Misora vibes from Akane right now.

She still managed to beat Kana, though, so at least if she dies it'll probably be in victory

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It'd be pretty funny if we met homicidal baby daddy and he had murder stars in his eyes too

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm kinda curious why Ruby is orbiting around this sadsack AD given his sub-dogshit position in the industry. Does she intend on literally making him into her long-term project to get an inside man in the mid-tiers of production?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I meant more that it seems like a very long-term play and Ruby has kind of been laser focused ever since learning the truth, so I'm surprised that she's got the patience for slow-burn tactics

If anything, though, that makes her a scarier prospect

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm kinda curious why Ruby is orbiting around this sadsack AD given his sub-dogshit position in the industry. Does she intend on literally making him into her long-term project to get an inside man in the mid-tiers of production?

...Aaaaand I was right!

Curious to see how darksided Ruby ultimately ends up getting. There's a thin line between going through the motions of trying to maintain the moral high ground out of habit, and just not giving a poo poo anymore.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I haven't really looked at the official version but I will miss the little bits of extras that the TL group puts in explaining crap about Japanese showbiz that I don't really care about, but find interesting the context of this comic

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Omobono posted:

I'm going to wear out the this is fine emote, won't I?

this is NOT fine :smith:

The universe loving loathes Aqua doesn't it?

I mean there seems to be a literal supernatural entity trying to bait his sister and him into the path of carnage so I'm not sure you can blame to the ENTIRE universe

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
can't wait to find out that bad dad is actually the reincarnation of some other fucker who had past life blood vendetta against ai who was the the reincarnation of someone else entirely, let's say, oda nobunaga maybe

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I can understand a bit of trepidation at this reveal, but personally I think having the killer be an out-and-out psycho could make for a more interesting game of cat and mouse with the twins going on the offensive, as opposed to the more pure soap opera-y stuff that could come from a more ambiguous conflict.

There's also the fact that on some level, a lot of showbiz operates with a very screws-loose mindset, so a dark reflection on that has potential

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I still think it's weird, but the whole murder mystery revenge plot helps contextualize it in a way that's far less freaky than it'd be if it was a regular idol type story

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

GateOfD posted:

after years of isekai and reincarnation isekai, why would people bat an eye at this reincarnation.

it's an obgyn being reincarnated as the child of his patient who is also his favorite idol

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
You know, the stuff depicted with Japanese show business isn't really unique from the entertainment industry in other parts of the world, but for some reason it just feels so much more... intractable? Gallingly transparent? To me, at least.

Maybe it's just question of economy of scale, where if you have more movies being made as a whole, there's enough positive examples they can minimize the impact of the bad ones. But this latest chapter just had so many Japanese movies with flavor of the moment performers of various types (and various degrees of acting experience, including "minimal") flashing through my head and had me grimacing the whole time.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This chapter kinda puts a a point on how Ruby, for all her considerable brain power and talent, still doesn't quite have her poo poo figured out to the level where she's as scary as Aqua. Unless she has some kind of weird hookup with spooky crow girl that we're not aware of.

Those two finally realizing who each other really are (if it actually happens, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't) is probably my most anticipated moment in this comic

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The first chapter of the new Aka comic is out

I continue to be impressed with his ability to write characters that I think I'd probably want to throttle in real life, but find them pretty entertaining in the context of comics

I also realizes this makes me a bit of a baby when it comes to reading about awful people, relatively speaking, but nobody's perfect

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It occurs to me that Aqua basically laid out all the reasons why Ruby might want him to drop his crazed revenge scheme, too

The difference is that his isn't really that crazed, which leads me to think that it will encounter some kind of roadblock that will drive him into a more desperate state

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I feel as if the usual "you must be this young to be a protagonist" rules don't apply to characters who have aged up across the series

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Well this seems like a healthy and productive way to deal with repressed traumas and feelings of inadequacy.

that's the whole manga

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I like how everyone is going loco as a result of the movie and Aqua didn't even have to push things in that direction. Their existing neuroses and the simple concept of the plot are enough to catalyze it.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
If I could draw I would re-draw the scene from Dragonball when Cell was beating the crap out of Gohan and Piccolo yelled at Goku about it only Ruby is Gohan Kana is Cell Aqua is Goku and Mem-Cho is Piccolo

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

marumaru posted:

does the thread categorize ruby and aqua as real siblings (therefore making it extremely weird that they're going to have an on-camera kiss) or do the resurrections shenanigans make them not-really-siblings

They are biologically siblings which I would argue is the main problem, and then after that is the (mental) age gap, which is also a pretty big problem. It's just problems all the way down.

Although there's something interesting to be considered in how memory-intact reincarnation scales with maturity, but that's a question better left for a context other than "should you make out with your brother?" (the answer's no)