Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

What is this?

Oshi no Ko (no official English title yet and the title pretty punny anyway, something like The Idol I Support will suffice for now I guess) is a new collaborative Manga by two superstar Mangaka! The story is written by Akasaka Aka (Kaguya-sama: Love is War, ib: Instant Bullet) and the art is drawn by Yokoyari Mengo (Scum's Wish). Both of these authors are known for their quite imaginative approach to storytelling so expectations are already pretty high from the get-go. As for what the story is actually about. I suppose this initial blurb from AnimeNewsNetwork is a good starting point.

quote:

The story will center on an "overwhelmingly cute" heroine and show the entertainment industry with a "never-before-seen point of view."

Wait, that doesn't help at all!

To be honest, reading the first chapter will suffice in at least beginning to understand what the story will be about, but in case you need a bit more convincing I'll help you guys a bit by laying out at least the basic premise, but to do that I'll need to introduce our principal players:

Characters

Goro
A youngish doctor practicing in the gynecology at a rural hospital in the middle of nowhere. As of late he's immersed himself into the culture of the Japanese Idol industry, in particular becoming enamored with and a diehard fan of the up and coming Hoshino Ai. Content with simply being a distant fan, a chance encounter will put him far closer to the object of his admiration than he ever thought possible.

Serena
A 12-year old girl suffering from cancer and the source of Goro's eventual idol addiction. See, Goro tends to wander around the hospital when there's nothing to do, and he would often visit with Serena, an Ai superfan, and that fandom would soon rub off on him. Serena has a great deal of admiration for Ai but she seems to harbor strong feelings for the wandering doctor as well.

Hoshino Ai
A 16-year old idol. She's forced to take a break from her idol work for health reasons, but this ends up being a cover. She kicks off the events of the story by showing up to the hospital Goro works at 20 weeks pregnant, much to Goro's shock. Further examination by Goro soon reveals that she's pregnant with twins! Issues with her career aside, Ai is determined to have the children and start a family, and as one of her hardcore fans Goro decides to use his skills as a doctor to grant her wish and deliver her babies as safely as possible.

Ruby and Aqua
The fraternal twin children of Hoshino Ai, Ruby being a girl and Aqua being a boy. They'll have their own story to tell for sure, but they'll have to grow up a bit first, and under the shadow of an industry that would curse their very existence without batting an eye.

Wow this all sounds quite strange (and a little creepy), are you sure this is good?

There's only nine chapters out so far and it takes a bit to get going (Aka himself says we're only now just finishing the "prologue") but I and several others are quite enjoying it so far and even with relatively few chapters I'm quite invested in where the story goes from here. In particular if you enjoyed reading Kaguya-sama: Love is War you'll find Aka's penchant for both comedy and drama shining through in spades. (Also Mengo's art is better than Aka's so that helps too)

Okay fine, where can I read it?

The good folks over at Jaimini's Box are currently translating the series. They also translate Kaguya-sama: Love is War if you feel like checking that out as well.

:siren: Spoilers for later chapters (barring the latest) will be unmarked as per usual protocol for manga threads, so be warned. :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

That panel with Aqua's star eye coming back to life at the thought of murdering his dad :stare:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Aqua, making your sister cry is no bueno :nono:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

JB fell behind on translating this for reasons so another group has picked up the slack. 12 was released a bit ago and 13 just now.

Chapter 12 - In which Aqua struts his acting skills and Ruby gets her big break! maybe. kinda?
Chapter 13 - In which the clear best girl is properly introduced. By that I'm, of course, talking about the director's mom :allears:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Chapter 14

Kana is a funny girl :allears:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Chapter 15

Even in Akaverse live action adaptations were a mistake :colbert:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Kana deserves way better than this :smith:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Aqua is extremely powerful.

Also no lies detected on that appendix page.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Chapter 18

Oh boy Aqua on a dating reality show I can't wait. :allears:

Also Kana is hella thirsty.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Ruby is a lovable dork and her new friend seems nice :allears:

Aqua might be a little bit obsessed with his dead mom. Just a little.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Poor Kana being susceptible to manipulation.

Kana continues making excellent faces.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Omobono posted:

Aqua needs his rear end kicked a bit for how he just pulled what he just pulled.
Stop sending easily misinterpreted signals, you loving know what they mean. Either mean them or shut up, you were 30-something(?) in your previous life.

Mom is outright telegraphing that Aqua's gonna get thoroughly owned in the future, so you'll get your wish I imagine.

It's too bad Ai's death totally broke his brain, hopefully Ruby and Kana's influence can unbreak it eventually.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Gonna get some use out of this :allears:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Everything about this chapter was amazing. :allears: Kana and Aqua's biting at each other is hilariously reminiscent of Ishigami and Fujiwara's antics.

Money talks

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Everyone trying to be dramatic, stand out, ham it up in front of the cameras, meanwhile Mem-cho just wants that sweet Youtube ad revenue.

Is it just me or is a 50-50 revenue split kind of really good for a sponsored Youtuber? I legit don't know.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Grouchio posted:

I find it weird that social media technology did not change in the 15-year timescale of this series. There were smartphones when Ai was still alive. What year is this? Akaaaaaaaa!

Yeah the compressed timescale is kinda weird though you can still make it work if you fudge the numbers some like Shugojin said. Ruby using Twitter on a smartphone as a 1-year old as if it were modern Twitter is the biggest stretch I see, but I think ultimately we're not supposed to think about it too much.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

https://mangadex.org/chapter/1094246/

Chapter 24

Twitter was a mistake :argh:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Is it possible to punch fictional people through the internet? :argh:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Could Black Star Eye Aqua beat Goku?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Chapter 27

Aka and Mengo are really outdoing themselves with this manga, I never would have thought I'd get this emotionally invested in it early on.

Aqua baring his former self to the director on Akane's behalf is some grade A writing. You can see just how deep his words were pulled from, both in terms of his experience and training as a doctor (in Obstetrics no less) and in terms of seeing her mother destroyed by the system that failed to protect her from her own childish bad decisions.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

This arc went from great and heartwarming to amazing in record time :allears:

Definitely wasn't expecting this from Akane.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Chapter 29

Local Boy Not So Tough After Being Doted On By Dead Idol

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

SpacePig posted:

Aqua has been up to something at the end of every chapter.

I bet he wishes he was back in his comfortable life as a doctor in the rear end middle of nowhere rather than dealing with this sister idol/acting/murder revenge plot nonsense. And that's saying something since being a doctor is the exact opposite of "comfortable"

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Chapter 30

No, Aqua, turn back. Turn baaaack :ohdear:

Kana continues to be the best character.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I guess trying to pull a fast one over a girl whose explicit talent is being able to read people with frightening clarity wasn't a realistic proposition in the first place.

Got a laugh out of Yuki dumping Nobu on camera only to become his girlfriend for real right afterwards. She is certainly a bonafide professional :stare:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Chapter 32

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

:same:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Chapter 33

Well the ending to this chapter sure wasn't foreboding at all. In other news, we finally get Kana in color!

:sparkles:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Chapter 34

I too want to dance the Pepper Workout!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Omobono posted:

Also stop bullying Kana you jerks.

Bullying Kana is the only way to unleash her true potential. :colbert:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Chapter 36

In which Kana continues to get bullied by life.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Mem-cho drawing a crowd of fans :allears:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Chapter 38

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Chapter 39

Ruby is so powerful she drove a veteran idol to retirement on the spot :stare: :sparkles:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Kana: :black101:
Akane: :hist101:
Aqua: :what:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Long-haired Akane is nice.

Kana's hat is nice, just like the rest of them.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Kana is finally removing her power limiter

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

That is a powerful pout.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Into the trash it goes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann