Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Annointed posted:

Everyone wants a piece of Aqua

But Aqua's a useless drunk!

...Oh, you mean the doctor. Right, right.

Caught up with this not a couple chapters ago. (Kinda figured I should between a friend recommending it, liking Kaguya, and the artist doing a ton of really good Chainsaw Man fanart) It's good, and I like it, but I'm not always sure where it's going, and not just in the good way.

It doesn't quite feel like the manga has a firm baseline structure. Not that it has to keep it once it has one, but being able to get a basic feel for the story at a given point, even if the ground collapses under you the next chapter, and I'm not sure how well Oshi no Ko does that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

theGrooseofLegend posted:

Honestly look forward to the bombs that is Aqua and Ruby's mom and Aqua's ultimate goal being dropped on any of these girls

Without the reincarnation context (and that one's going to require a lot more trust to reveal), it's probably going to look straight up oedipal.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Omobono posted:

:psyduck:
The girls will murder him if and when they find out. When does he even find the time between plotting revenge, schmoozing with anyone that could point him towards revenge and going to high school.

E: It could be that he's just wearing the mask for this occasion but I doubt it. The first time it was the real Pieyon so I see no reason it would be a fake one this time.

Also stop bullying Kana you jerks.

The filmed Pieyon was noted to be much buffer than the Pieyon this chapter (by the one person who's only seen the real one on youtube), and he does a voice that would make a fake easier to manage. Meanwhile, the Pieyon in chapter 22? Quite buff.

Moreover, if you look at how Pieyon speaks in his previous appearance, his dialogue is very different. In chapter 22, he's confident and direct with everything he says. Even his questions are practical and on point, usually asked when he already has an answer in mind. Here?

An um, a well, lots of ellipses, lots of interpersonal questions. He's got a completely different style of talking.

There is a real Pieyon, basically. He's just not in this chapter.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

Bullying Kana is the only way to unleash her true potential. :colbert:

It's like bullying Maki, or bullying Kobeni.

In a harsh world like this, being bullied is the one way to survive.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wark Say posted:

I mean, she does like to lick a light switch. :haw:

It's baking soda in Japan!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

That was actually kind of a downer in a very realistic way.

Glad Akane is coming back though.

Fortunately, the next chapter is cheerier...

In a way.

Nice to have this to calm down in the wake of the AoT shitstorm.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 8, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

This is only barely relevant, but I just felt I should mention here that Yokoyari Mengo got 71st in the second Chainsaw Man popularity poll, above such luminaries as the Hell Devil and Reze's boss.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

New week, new chapter, new hat for Kana.

DOUBLE BRUSHING!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

It depends. But generally the more successful the Mangaka the more control they have. Some also have different standards and don't care too much about adaptions.

I see a few series where things like this happen. And my impression is that Telephone and all the intermediaries are the biggest problem.

It's definitely the case here.

The bit we see has intermediaries manage to move this scene should be less dramatic" to "up the drama".

Poor screenwriter.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

doomisland posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzWReRwbp7g

new chapter

Another one next week before the break as this cliffhanger can't go on more than needed.

And, of course, the new chapter has
Another cliffhanger. Arguably, the same one!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

doomisland posted:

Yeah I was not pleased with this chapter !

Fortunately, there's a new chapter!

That still doesn't resolve the question!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SpacePig posted:

Kana is excited, it'll be fine. She can do it.

And if it fails, she has no-one she'll blame but herself. No pressure.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mulderman posted:

Welp, that went about as well as expected.

Kana picked the exact worst thing to say, didn't she?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

"It's nothing. Just a story I made up."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerkface posted:

"I'd help you kill em!" , chills

I was on team Kana, but Akane is really winning me over this chapter.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

Girls named akane are powerful

I rooted for her from the start because I like underdogs but man she's the best.

akanes chances of surviving let alone winnig Aquas heart are looking worse though

I was going to say that troubled girls named Akane are under Gridman's aegis, but then I remembered

Dynazenon. And how people being expected to save their girlfriends went in that show.

Akane better hope Kana is around for the save, since I wouldn't bet on Aqua for this one.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

Chapter 54

Kana spitting straight fire :allears:

Last week, she fell behind a bit. It's good to see that she's not giving up without a fight.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

kana's just jealous she lost so early on :colbert:

We've seen Kana in the future talking about how 'A-kun' is going to get mad at her for going overboard, before Akane was even introduced.

Don't count baking soda girl out yet.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

In the latest chapter, everything is fine.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wokow6 posted:

That was lit.

He just had to learn how to use his shittiness better.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

Kana: "And this is to go... further beyond!" :ssj:

FOUR stars per eye!

Can anyone hope to stand up to that kind of power?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Annointed posted:

Just fuc me up fam

Aqua is doing great. Just great.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, this week Oshi no Ko is actually more upbeat than Kaguya.

Bit of a surprise.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

"We have the same biological father, what can you tell me about him?"
"I literally just told you that I'm an orphan!"

I'm not sure this is the strong material lead that you were hoping for, Aqua

"I mean, what can you tell me about him from before you murdered him."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

Chapter 72

A wild papa appears!

Akane asking herself if she should tell is a good thing for her, but given current circumstances, she really should.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Don't know if anyone else here cares, but this week, Oshi No Ko got referenced in Shonen Jump.

Me and Roboco, the pseudo-Doraemon series known for its meta references, had Roboco work as an assistant for the writer of "Oshi Noko", a reincarnation romantic drama with such a convoluted premise it was a surprise that it could be a hit at all!

Roboco even claimed her name was "Arima Kana" when asked.

Just thought it was worth noting.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Annointed posted:

https://guya.moe/read/manga/Oshi-no-Ko/75/1/

Chapter 75

gently caress, spooky anime girl on trees

Anime ja nai.

It's a manga!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Haystack posted:

Man, Aqua has some garbage tier luck with mothers. What's his next incarnation gonna have deal with, lesbian moms that get napalmed?

His current adopted mom is pretty good. Third time lucky and all that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nebrilos posted:

Kana has no chance with Aqua, right? He would never risk a repeat of what happened to Ai. I don't get why he hasn't officially rejected Kana.

We saw that, in the future, Kana will be calling Aqua "A-Kun" and talking about how he'll get mad at her for going too far in an interview.

She's got a pretty good shot.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nebrilos posted:

Why is everyone saying Akane is going to die?

She doesn't appear in the flash forward and she's walking right into the middle of a murderous conspiracy while tripping death flags left and right. She's not definitely doomed, but she's at risk even aside from the whole "Make Aqua suffer" running theme.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Are we sure that she isn't connected to a certain idol? The age looks about right ...

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

JamMasterJim posted:

One star for each dead loved one.
So when both Ruby and Akane die, you have to wonder where will the 3d star show up on Aqua.

I'm pretty sure Ruby has flipped her position on the standard in danger/ is the danger evaluation chart. Assuming she'll die early does not seem... likely.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

doomisland posted:

The story can now begin

Reminds me of Vinland Saga's "END OF PROLOGUE".

(Obviously, this means the next arc is about Ruby and Aqua working on a farm.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dexo posted:

weird, you mean finding out and thinking that your revenge target is already dead, doesn't fix like a decade of mental trauma.

Get therapy homie.

Everyone knows the only treatment for wanting revenge is either

1) Getting revenge

or

2) Farming.

If you don't kill everyone responsible, and don't farm, you're just going to keep those issues going.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Annointed posted:

Ruby with weapons grade moe

Having that scene with the black star eyes of murder gives it a very different tone.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Omobono posted:

That's intended, yeah. She's scanning every male anywhere close to the correct age and thinking "do I have to ice this motherfucker?"

I meant that as a compliment, to be clear. Having a goofy scene with the visuals simultaneously conveying "This is all to get in position for murderous revenge" makes for a very fun, if bleak, contrast.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I did not know there was a subplot in that about Marin plotting revenge on her mother's killer.

Must have not paid enough attention back when it was airing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Annointed posted:

I would love it if Ruby can basically bullshit her way out of messes with sheer charisma.

Charisma and murder.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jomo posted:

Just read the first post and jumped to the current page of the thread to get an idea of how the series is going. Did it do a bad? Or am I missing ironic post context since I haven't read the spoiler posts?

There's a Vtuber in Oshi No Ko, so that lead to jokes about forum drama. That's pretty much it for now. Series is going well. We're finally getting more Ruby after she was backgrounded for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Annointed posted:

Ruby roping everything into the trash fire.

And she'll probably come out of it still smelling like roses.