Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

For the latest chapter, the part with the nerds discussing why some of the members of B-Komachi look troubled is both hilarious and depressing. They can only parse things in terms of idol culture that they can't even understand that Ai and Kana are just humans and may have something else weighing on their minds.

Nebrilos posted:

Sorry, what are Akane's death flags?

One thing that stood out to me on a re-read was this part:

While it's possible that Ruby or Aqua will tell Kana what their deal is, the fact that Kana says 'genius' could also mean she's talking about Akane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Grouchio posted:

Wonder who will animate it.

I hope this inspires Aka to write an arc where Ruby gets hired to voice a character in an anime adaptation. just so Aka can pop off on why some anime looks amazing while some are Studio DEEN-levels of bad animation.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm curious to see how this will shake out. Because while we've seen Aqua come up with clever schemes to help someone in trouble that he sympathizes with, we've never really seen Ruby put in a similar position.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm not sure what I'm more afraid of in this arc: Either Ruby's going to be blindsided by the lovely director's decisions and they'll have to deal with people assuming they're doing OnlyFans stuff on the side, or this is going all according to Ruby's plan and she's fine with her friend risking her career here, even if Ruby does have a plan to turn things around.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Shugojin posted:

Final possibility Ruby's brother sure does know and have a pretty good relationship with the author of the manga in question :v:

I thought of that possibly happening too, but I really hope Aqua doesn't feature as much. This is Ruby's first time showing initiative in pursuing the revenge train and it'd leave a bad taste in my mouth if she ends up being a damsel in distress who needs to be bailed out. :ohdear:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Shugojin posted:

I was thinking more Dark Ruby exploits this connection she has to get what she wants which leaves it feeling more in her control

Yeah, that works, especially with the series hammering in that you need to use your connections to make it far in the entertainment industry.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Wouldn't be surprised if those comments Kana was thinking of are actually real stuff that Aka read on Twitter.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Man, I'm so loving done with Aqua and his bullshit. I can understand keeping your cards close to your chest when hunting down your mom's murderer, but not telling Ruby about the existence of the DVDs Ai left for them is a whole other level of assholishness. Rooting for Ruby to get the role of Ai and use her acting chops to further traumatize Aqua.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

What started it off for me was when Aqua revealed he had Akane bugged, which was loving paranoid, controlling boyfriend behavior even if it prevented Akane from getting herself killed. But the straw that broke the camel's back for me was Aqua revealing Ai's secret without Ruby's consent.

When Aqua and Ruby were chilling out and they both agreed that Kana being featured in a scandal was terrible, I thought for sure that Aqua asking Ruby "hey, if there's a way to save her but it's gonna suck, do you wanna still do it?" was him about to team up with her. The final line in the chapter even said "We still have a chance" except... no, Aqua didn't include her in his plan at all. :wtc:

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

If they can circle this back around to make a cogent point about how the industry exploits existing social voids to harm children and encourage their abusers, and can draw a direct correlation between both Aqua and the murderer, and if the publisher could even let them get away with such a cutting indictment, I'd be very impressed.

There was the director of Lala Lai who admitted he liked to scout kids who have voids in their hearts that he then fills with acting. Except he's Taiki Himekawa's surrogate dad so it doesn't feel like the indictment it should've been.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I just hope this means Oshi no Ko will do more with Frill than Kaguya-sama did with Koromo. It just felt like Koromo was supposed to be a bigger deal than what she ended up being.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I was side-eyeing the pages where Kon talked about how Mari's not popular with guys because she dresses up and how men are timid creatures who need a girl to be vulnerable. Then I went :chloe: when Kon forced Mari to dress up as a generic romcom anime heroine, but I powered through the chapter anyway.

When I got to the twist at the end that the guy she's crushing on is also being forced by the Love Agency to dress and act like a generic milquetoast romcom guy, Aka's got me interested. The fact that the two people in Love Agency look like nerdy goons makes me hopeful that this series is going to be a scathing criticism of how anime and manga have completely hosed up nerds' ideas about romance and what makes a person attractive.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Link to the new chapter

Aqua really just becoming more and more like dear ol' dad, huh? I'm curious how this is all going to shake out. Does Aqua really intend Kana to take the role of Ai's old groupmate, or is this some more mastermind bullshit to push Ruby off the role and have Kana play Ai? And Akane's got her own plans, so is she working together with Ruby now to undermine whatever it is Aqua's up to?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

doomisland posted:

Is kana into books because she saw aqua reading some fancy book when they were 4? Her reading a book on lizards in the anime made me think of this.

Nah, they only met the one time in that film when they were kids. They were both too busy with production that I doubt Aqua had the time to read there. That, and Kana spent her childhood slowly losing out on work so that's probably where her desire to have a backup plan of getting a college degree came from.

If anything, the main thing she took away from that meeting is that it shattered her self-confidence in her acting skills. Yeah, she's got the potential and looks, but her mindset of always propping up other people's acting makes it impossible to get noticed by the people who can give her better jobs. Despite what Director Gotanda said about how it's good for an actor to be easy to work with, I can't help but think that you gotta be at least a little bit selfish and want to stand out among the competition.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Watched the latest episode of the anime and :lol: when it hit me that it's at least twice now that Aqua went to a girl for advice about something and then proceeds to do something next day that would break said girl's heart.

Aqua, you terrible fuckboi.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Thinking about the latest chapter some more, I can see a few ways it plays out:

- Aqua's up to his old fuckboi antics yet again. He knew/suspected that Ruby was Sarina quite some time ago, yet only chose to reveal it when she's this emotionally vulnerable. He's probably hoping this will make Ruby more amenable to his plan, which I guess might involve having Kana take over the role of Ai?
- Ruby still hasn't forgiven Aqua for the stunt he pulled. Him revealing he was the doctor would make him selling out Ai's secret an even bigger betrayal in her eyes. Given the chapter with Akane and Frill about the acting competition with "liar" as a theme, maybe Ruby is acting here in order to make Aqua let down his guard around her? Maybe she wants Aqua to think she'll help him with the revenge plot, when she's actually really working with Akane to destroy Aqua's plans.
- Both of them are lying to each other right now and it's gonna be a battle to see who can manipulate who first. :unsmigghh:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Speaking of the anime and the last episode, I thought removing the part with the idol who decided to retire after watching B-Komachi's performance made the finale weaker, overall. The episode's got fantastic production values, obviously, but I thought it changed the tone into something that's purely victorious. In the manga, the bit with the other idol had added a sobering note to the affair. Kana and the others may shine now, but there are just as many idols who also try their best yet fade into the background for various reasons, not to mention how they quit the industry in their 20s with barely any savings to their name.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I like how the only ones who have an S-rank in social media presence/being Extremely Online are the goon in glasses and Frill. :v:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I liked the Mem focus at the start of the chapter, but the end just reminded me again about how Aqua's a prick who knew about the message Ai left for him and Ruby but never thought to tell her about it. Poor Ruby only found out because the Director said something about it when they ran across each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Rooting for my boy Melt here. He's come so far as an actor.

EDIT:

Also lol lmao at Aka and Mengo doing that plot beat last chapter and then dropping it to focus on something else. What a wild loving ride.