Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
just dropping in to make a post, won't be reading any more of the thread until I'm caught up to avoid spoilers(just typing the first part of a character's name to find their last name spoiled me on future stuff in the search bar before I even hit enter lol), but I started reading this after hearing a lot of good things about it. I've not read Kaguya-sama yet, it's on the list to get to, but having heard nothing but good things about that I figured I'd hop into this one. I'm quite enjoying it, love the characters(Aqua's probably my favorite, I like Akane, don't really like Kana, she's entertaining but has a pretty ugly attitude, Ruby feels like while she shows up a ton she barely gets to be the center of attention outside of a couple scenes), love the interactions, the views behind the curtain of various industries, that sort of thing. I'm around chapter 72 or so right now. Not much to say negatively about it, the way it portrays how each character handles their roles either in their work or in the industry is great. Wasn't sure about the initial twist, and it certainly did bum me out that there wouldn't be an exploration of that particular character's further growth and life, but Aqua and Ruby are great. I dunno if I'd mark this as the best anime/manga ever like I've seen from a few folks, but it's certainly very good.

if I had to pick one thing so far that's bugged me, I think it's from one of the recent chapters I've read, where it's shown that Aqua/Ruby's father isn't dead. like, the series has been relatively realistic in its portrayal of a lot of things, or at least has been pretty brutally grounded when not doing things for comedic effect, but I can't help but feel like there being this conniving mastermind faking his death to super-double-triple hide his tracks kinda feels like it's from the wrong manga. I genuinely thought it was a fantastic decision to have Aqua spend all this time, effort, and money to hunt down his father for revenge, only to find he'd died ages ago in another incident. I felt like that was a great swerve in order to totally derail Aqua's path in life and provide an opportunity to follow his further journey as he tries to come to grips with never being able to have his revenge, just never getting to have an answer, and working through that and trying to have a life focused on something other than revenge. that would've been great. but I guess dad's still around and completely aware of his kids and being a maniacal faceless(as far as I've seen) monster person, so I guess it's going more Anime with that route than I'd like.

I'm sure it's going to be handled adequately enough, since the series is still extremely highly rated many chapters past where I am, but I would have loved to see the path it took the other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Up to chapter 80 now, and I guess I took the whole "reincarnate as the child of an idol" thing as just a way to kick off the story in an interesting way and not be delved into too much further itself(as in, an act of god, but not actually have that literal god appear in physical form), and the eyes thing just a visual indicator rather than a literal indicator of something more. But then the little raven girl showed up and I was like "oh, it's gonna be like this then". When that happened and aqua didn't find the body, I instantly knew who would, though I guess I figured they would stumble upon it out in the forest rather than actively be led to it hidden in a shrine by a mischievous godchild's familiar. I do like the twist with ruby becoming aqualike and the change to her eyes, too, nice touch.

And hell yeah, akane!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh my god, the ritual purification chapter, incredible

That entire storyline was excellent, and the capstone was just :discourse:. It would never work irl, but boy was it fun to read

Also I forgot to say, but reading the scanlations that have little end of chapter notes attached really helps with context with a lot of things. Like how akane's situation on the reality show was likely based on a real world incident that led to the suicide of a cast member who was demonized by the way she was portrayed in the show, resulting in immense online harassment. Some people can easily deflect that and others soak it up like a sponge, and I felt it really did an excellent job of portraying that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Really? A loving tracking device in your girlfriend's keychain plushie? Aqua god drat it you really are a turbo psycho

I wager the author got the idea from people irl doing literally that with apple airtags inside stuffed animals and such sent to vtubers and idols to find where they live. considering vtubers were already mentioned in the series it wouldn't surprise me.

Also, hilarious to see Second Girl Always Loses still remains ironclad, the seeming victory was only a temporary facade

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
OH MAN THE TRADE WITH THE REPORTER, HOLY poo poo. PIIIISSSS

really like how much it paints paparazzi mostly as the loathsome scum they are, too

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Binged all the way to the current chapter, hell of a chapter to catch up on too. Fantastic series, I'd say a 9, maybe 9.5 out of 10.

meddlesome gods are such a pain.

ZiegeDame posted:

Responding in spoilers just to be safe, only clearing up a misunderstanding you have. Aqua's father didn't fake his own death, Aqua was just wrong about who is father was. Aqua's half-brother's mom cheated on her husband with Aqua's dad, and the half-brother didn't know about it.

kirtar posted:

Yeah it's part of why there was something about Aqua not noticing a loophole or whatever (iirc it was Akane noticing it).
yeah, I caught onto that eventually.

iirc that was also before I found out the story was much more supernatural than I thought it would be(initial premise notwithstanding), so I was hoping for a lost purpose arc for aqua after having his extremely unhealthy dreams dashed.

I'd still have been interested to see the author take that on since I think they could do it well, but I also enjoy the way things have gone.

:siren:And this is definitely going to be tmi so I guess I'll spoiler it for those who want to avoid extremely tragic and harrowing rl poo poo so you have been warned, but

I've really been interested in aqua's path in particular, because I relate to him a LOT. No I didn't reincarnate into a baby or have my mom get stabbed to death in front of me, obviously. but my little sister was murdered and the evidence largely destroyed, most everything covered up, it was declared a suicide by government officials wanting to avoid an international incident(this is apparently quite common) and newspapers ran with that, and the culprit got away with it. everyone involved in her supposed protection went on the defensive and lawyered up rather than accept fault. Within days everyone had moved on, just "Another Dead White Girl, Such A Tragedy"(that is honestly what hit me the most and hooked me early on with this series, not Ai's death, but the extremely brutal and frank reality of how transient the news cycle is and some bad weather completely shunting her horrific murder and its precedent and inconvenience for the industry right out of the picture). One org moved their entire company out of country to avoid legal interaction, another org said if my parents sued they'd only get at most a capped 100k and the org would fight against it, the government of the place she was killed holding her corpse hostage and mutilating it by removing all parts that could be tested for drugging or evidence of foul play during the autopsy, that they demanded they be able to do for us to be able to even be able to recover her body, which they shipped to us unpreserved in a plywood casket-crate thing so the second autopsy we had done locally was basically pointless. More awful poo poo i wont even mention. The only reason we even know she was murdered rather than it being a suicide like the people there told us is because she was training to be a photographer and the cops who showed up didn't have a camera to take crime scene photos, so they used her camera for them and then wiped the memory card. When my dad got ahold of it he un-wiped it and found those photos, and the coroner he showed them to said "oh, she was absolutely not conscious at the time of death, she didnt do this herself". That's really one of the only things that has kept me going, that it wasn't her decision, someone did it TO her. But investigations are expensive, and nothing came of any of it. My parents nearly bankrupted themselves trying to do so.

I won't lie, I very, very, VERY much saw myself in aqua; for a very long time after I saw her corpse and found out the truth I was extremely like him in mentality. The horrifically dark, ugly, cold, hidden wrath with no target. Wanting to overturn heaven and earth and find the guy who did it, do unspeakable things to him, "I will go down if it means I drag you to hell with me", etc. Probably still would, if i found who it was and you put them in front of me, even if I have "moved on" since it has been so long. But life ain't a manga, and the bad guys certainly dont always face justice.

Also, yes, I have been to a lot of therapy and grief counseling. There are things therapy cannot fix.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 19, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
while I've not read the rest of the thread, who's to say the god-child isn't just loving with people? gods are often mischievous and inscrutable beings whose words cannot always be taken on good faith, japanese deities are no exception.

I also wonder about the origin of the star-eyes, too, whether they're an indicator of more than just a "mood ring" of sorts since they turn black when the person has malicious or despairing vengeance, depression, suicidal etc mentality, and colorful when they're happy, satisfied with life, emotionally stable, innocent. I wonder if akane getting the star eyes when she emulates Ai is more than a visual indicator, if Ai was special in a different way since her, her children, and akane specifically mimicking her are the only ones who show it.

regardless, I'm definitely not taking the godchild at its word right now. we don't even know who it is for sure, obviously with the ravens all over the loving place it's probably yatagarasu if not amaterasu, but why they are doing what they're doing and why they singled out these two to be reincarnated rather than return to the sea of souls is very sus. I'm sure it's all an elaborate and convoluted plan to have these two's souls end up at peace since they both died tragic deaths, but why these two specifically when tragedy happens everywhere(their mother, for example!)

basically, I'm of the opinion that everything to do with the characters, the dialogue, the story, the drama, the humor, the behind the scenes stuff, is a 9.5 out of 10, and everything to do with Supernatural Bullshit is like a 3. I thought it was fine as a premise to get these two into a new life, but once it started to manifest in the actual story with a face and stuff, I started to roll my eyes. I don't like the godchild appearing and pointing the characters in a direction, when they've had excellent journeys on their own paths, I guess.

edit: I keep forgetting the dad has the eyes too. like what's with the eyes, it's gotta be more than just a visual thing. another god's meddling, perhaps?

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 22, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Raserys posted:

Personally I'm of the opinion that the star eyes are like shirogane's orange hair in kaguya, it's entirely just for visuals

Not that there isn't a likely metaphorical meaning behind it, but I don't think it's something that the characters literally see in the world

I want to agree with you, but only four characters have them, all from the same parent/child group, or when mimicking one of said group. I can see it going either direction at this point.

Clarste posted:

Other characters have also gotten star eyes when they are particularly into a performance. It's just like... star power. The qualities of being a star.

Edit: Akane for example, even when not performing as Ai.
who else besides akane? I don't remember her getting them when not acting as Ai, but I may have just missed it.

anyways, if they're just mood indicators, that's fine, if they're not, I'm also curious to see if they have any further meaning. I'm more wondering how much god-meddling we're going to get.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 22, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

trucutru posted:

The weird eyes are entirely metaphorical. It's not like like Frill Shiranui is an actual lizard person.
actually, she is.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Exia posted:

121 https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1016559

Hopefully this is leading to the twins discovering the others identity soon. It’s probably one of the few sources of genuine happiness they’d feel at this point in their character arcs
I was going to say "uh oh", but honestly them breaking the glass on this plot point right now is probably for the best for her.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
pretty hamfisted in getting there, but it's fine, it's what we've all been waiting for after all

Julias posted:

Also season 2 of the anime confirmed:toot:
of course it is, when you have the first global #1 from japan ever on billboard(besides the US), you're not gonna slow down the gravy train :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
so, will this rejuvenate Ruby's star-eyes back to light, or will they continue to be black and vengeful?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh welp I missed that amidst the tearful reunion

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
:chloe:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this mem erasure will not stand

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
are there people who don't think that's what he's doing?

it's extremely obvious he really cares about everyone but also knows his plan will result in him likely dying/being locked away forever so he wants to make sure nobody will be hurt by him achieving his goal. of course he doesn't understand that almost no matter what he does it's not going to make people not care about him.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the reincarnation thing is a fine hook into the series, and I think it would have been good if that was all it was. but then the series keeps jamming in this cryptic godchild steering them smugly along and it always feels bad to me, like it's a different series.

it reminds me of My Wife Has No Emotion, where it's set in a world on the cusp of full blown androids, relatively "realistic" and grounded, and then like 50 chapters in it has this strange one-off chapter with a literal space alien that's shaped like a human head with octopus legs/tentacles coming out of it. and you're like "oh that's weird, but haha that's a funny what-if sort of extra chapter!" and then a bit later there's multiple more chapters with it. and it isn't no-name side characters but interacting with main characters. and you're like "oh no what are you doing author"

that's how the godchild makes me feel, that the series could have just been excellent with this reincarnation premise, but it keeps veering into having a literal manifestation of a god loving around directly with the characters in an otherwise pretty normal setting where they are entirely unnecessary. like aka feels the need to have an explanation for the reincarnation rather than just being like "yeah that's how it starts and that's it" which I would have been totally fine with tbh

also yeah don't like Ruby going that route in this chapter but I suppose this was an issue that needed dealing with

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That would probably be the worst twist imaginable

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It was a bad move for aqua to reveal his true identity because it led to this chapter

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new chapter

this is stupid but I like it anyways

Aqua rope-a-doping a meddling god into working on their movie is hilarious

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
some thoughts on the chapter and wild theories:

I am very happy for a memcho-centric chapter, she felt like she really needed some more development as a main character. she's an admirable one too, just steadfastly moving forward no matter what's in her way. hell yeah memcho

also I think it's funny that memcho doesn't look like memcho without the :3, like in this panel:

and what is up with her leaving a message for Aqua turning 15, why would she do that rather than just...celebrate it with him as a family when it happened? And with a message of something she wants them to do? I feel like she knew she was going to die before then. So did she know how dangerous the father was in the first place, to record a video like this ahead of time? And, even weirder, specifically to Aqua, not to Aqua AND Ruby, despite it being both their birthdays. but even then, I question again why this specific 15-year-old birthday celebration recording/request exists. I have never known anyone who does this sort of thing unless they're like, approaching the end of their life/losing mental faculties/dying of cancer(or whatever) and want to leave a message for the future. a young successful idol shouldn't have felt that necessary, and so specific, too. So is this some meddling-beyond-the-grave shenanigans? Or is it setting up a seemingly dark idea and then it'll be like "Aqua I want you to do this for your sister's birthday surprise" or some similar sort of fakeout?

anyways, let's get into crazy theories

with three significant supernatural characters, and especially with the cliffhanger of this chapter, I frankly don't believe Ai is gone completely. Especially with the as-yet-unnamed child who I can only assume is Yatagarasu outright saying Ai is "totally gone/erased forever", I don't buy it. Not necessarily that she reincarnated, but if there's a literal yataragarasu-in-human-form character, it wouldn't surprise me if Ai still existed in some form, not necessarily physical. we're already dealing with reincarnation and corporeal gods, it's not out of the realm of possibility. especially with the above-spoilered stuff.

and while I'm getting silly, what if some of the lines in IDOL are referencing Ruby(when she achieves her goal) rather than Ai?

quote:

That emotion melts all hearts, all eyes on you
'Cause you are perfect, the most ultimate idol
Unrivaled, will not appear again
It's the brightest star reborn, yes, indeed
Ah, using that smiling face
That "I love you" again
Now, everybody is lured and captivated by you
The pupil that you got
The words you vocalize
Even when untrue, it's your perfected Ai
Ruby's aiming to be an even bigger idol than Ai, so this could be read as Sarina as the brightest star reborn into Ruby, she is the "perfected" Ai. hell, she's straight up acting as Ai right now, and apparently nailed it just by getting a little mad. Or "the brightest star is residing in you" as Ai being pregnant with Ruby.

yeah yeah, the official english lyrics might not be completely accurate and this is a pretty wild take to begin with, but I'm just having some fun here. I kinda wish more people would post their wild theories on where they think things will or could go, not just with Oshi No Ko. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
HURT ME MORE, AKA

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is this the first time we've seen ai with the black star pupils? I don't remember if it's happened before.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That is an insane, obscure thing to reference

But I appreciate it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The real question is how devastating is the rebuke from aqua going to be when ruby inevitably reveals her true identity to him and that she loves him

regardless I would prefer it happen sooner rather than later so we can end this awful incestuous fawning side plot from ruby

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1020341

lotta whiplash this chapter.

I'm a big fan of the "helped a critter, they help you in a different way later" trope, with this one just being a bit more heavenly than usual

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh, that's bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it's a matter of life and death. kid shoulda known he was playing with fire