Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I feel we'd get less Cathy Ishmael and more like "Wuthering Heights Master" Ishmael, whose family in that universe bought the manor and got Cathy's personality. Even Spicebrush Sang and NFaust still are themselves even if they take other character roles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I feel we'd get less Cathy Ishmael and more like "Wuthering Heights Master" Ishmael, whose family in that universe bought the manor and got Cathy's personality. Even Spicebrush Sang and NFaust still are themselves even if they take other character roles.

eh how much of the Sinner is still there varies between "put Sinner's face on other character" IDs . N Faust has pretty much nothing of Faust besides her speech patterns, for example

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

Yinlock posted:

eh how much of the Sinner is still there varies between "put Sinner's face on other character" IDs . N Faust has pretty much nothing of Faust besides her speech patterns, for example

EDIT: Thinking it all over, that's pretty much true. With NFaust and Kimsalt on one end of the spectrum (heh) and Captain Ish on the other.

KobunFan fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 27, 2024

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

KobunFan posted:

EDIT: Thinking it all over, that's pretty much true. With NFaust and Kimsalt on one end of the spectrum (heh) and Captain Ish on the other.

Queecliff is also still Heathcliff, just one that took several extreme wrong turns

Kimsault is hard to say since we know like nothing about Kim personality-wise besides the fact that he thinks if you don't have scars you suck

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

In Refraction Railway, do the fights get harder past Ardor Blossom Moth?

I've been stuck for weeks on trying to clear it, and even with the guide someone posted earlier, I haven't been able to even get close. It's not a problem with my team, I'm just really bad at strategy.

The new season starts tomorrow, and at 2-4 hours per fight, I don't think I have the time to make it anymore. Should I just cut my losses and move on?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Colin Mockery posted:

In Refraction Railway, do the fights get harder past Ardor Blossom Moth?

I've been stuck for weeks on trying to clear it, and even with the guide someone posted earlier, I haven't been able to even get close. It's not a problem with my team, I'm just really bad at strategy.

The new season starts tomorrow, and at 2-4 hours per fight, I don't think I have the time to make it anymore. Should I just cut my losses and move on?

yes it gets harder, but if you're stuck on strats rather than teams use this handy guide to figure out what to do:

e: short version: don't lose clashes, break wings.

if you're taking 2-4 hours you're probably overthinking it so just simplify it to that. it probably won't be pretty but there's a rest stop right after so who cares

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 27, 2024

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
There's a couple ball-kick fights, particularly 8 & 9 being harder refights of the canto 5 bosses, but I would say they're around the same difficulty as the fire moth, not particularly harder.

The only thing you miss by not clearing RR3 right now is the super shiny banners, but I think it'll stick around for a bit and also possibly become easier, because the level cap is going up and you can buff your guys.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Yinlock posted:

short version: don't lose clashes, break wings. if your fights are taking 2-4 hours you're probably overthinking it so scale it back a bit and unga that bunga

That's the guide I'm following, yes.

I'm having trouble winning the clashes and I'm having trouble breaking the wings.

edit: to clarify on the fight timing: it usually takes me less than 30 minutes for a single successful run. The other 2-3 hours is just the failed attempts.

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 27, 2024

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Colin Mockery posted:

That's the guide I'm following, yes.

I'm having trouble winning the clashes and I'm having trouble breaking the wings.

edit: to clarify on the fight timing: it usually takes me less than 30 minutes for a single successful run. The other 2-3 hours is just the failed attempts.

EGO is the get out of jail free card when you're losing important clashes, and the wings tend to shrug off non-slash attacks so you need more of those if you're bouncing off them.

the moth clashes annoyingly well so you can't really stop the snowball but you can hinder it long enough to kill it before it kills you. or even after it kills you, rest stop means a free res for everyone.

e: on that note iirc the boss' hp will stay at whatever it was when team 1 died if you bring in team 2, it doesn't have to be pretty

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 27, 2024

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

OH i can just sacrifice my first team and leave them dead and keep going on the second?

Maybe it'll be okay then, I'll try again without restarting after my full team dies, last time I was able to get it to less than 400 HP before I party wiped.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Colin Mockery posted:

What IDs are you using? I might be able to give some advice. You want to pour Slash damage onto it, though.

Also, be sure everyone is at Lv. 40. Offense Level really matters.

Colin Mockery posted:

OH i can just sacrifice my first team and leave them dead and keep going on the second?

Maybe it'll be okay then, I'll try again without restarting after my full team dies, last time I was able to get it to less than 400 HP before I party wiped.

You can also do that.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Quackles posted:

What IDs are you using? I might be able to give some advice. You want to pour Slash damage onto it, though.

Also, be sure everyone is at Lv. 40. Offense Level really matters.

You can also do that.

Well, I've been trying to try different ID combinations. Everyone's level 40.

Right now I'm using:

tan rodya - dieci assoc. south section 4
orange sinclair - the one who shall grip
blue outis - lobotomy e.g.o::magic bullet
pink faust - lobotomy e.g.o::regret
yellow yi sang - effloresced e.g.o::spicebush
green hong lu - k corp. class 3 excision staff

That's a lot of blunt, I guess. I was trying to find characters that can clash well against red flying fire damage aoe.

i've failed my last 3 attempts to break the wings in time (i honestly don't know how i managed it to begin with, it must have been a lucky skill draw or something), but my other characters are:

blue don quixote - w corp l3 agent
blue girl next to her - w corp l3 cleanup agent ryoshu
orange mersault - r corp 4th pack rhino
orange heathcliff - r corp 4th pack rabbit
orange ishmael - r corp 4th pack reindeer
metallic gregor - zwei assoc. south section 4

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 27, 2024

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Colin Mockery posted:

Well, I've been trying to try different ID combinations. Everyone's level 40.

Right now I'm using:

tan rodya - dieci assoc. south section 4
orange sinclair - the one who shall grip
blue outis - lobotomy e.g.o::magic bullet
pink faust - lobotomy e.g.o::regret
yellow yi sang - effloresced e.g.o::spicebush
green hong lu - k corp. class 3 excision staff

That's a lot of blunt, I guess. I was trying to find characters that can clash well against red flying fire damage aoe.

i've failed my last 3 attempts to break the wings in time, but my other characters are:

blue don quixote - w corp l3 agent
blue girl next to her - w corp l3 cleanup agent ryoshu
orange mersault - r corp 4th pack rhino
orange heathcliff - r corp 4th pack rabbit
orange ishmael - r corp 4th pack reindeer
metallic gregor - zwei assoc. south section 4

Warp Don is really good here. I strongly recommend against Grippy Sinclair because he doesn't really give much benefit once he gets maxed out SP-wise.

Generally, for the entire Railway and MDH as well, you want to spend EGOs freely if you are unable to clash a skill normally. That means bringing a team with some of every sin generally so you can power them, but also making sure your EGOs are properly configured in the rest stop. For Ardor Blossom Star, you will want to clash that with an EGO (or Rip Space, because Don's just that good.)

In the case of the moth, you just want Slash attackers with strong attacks. Seven Faust and Warp Don were particularly helpful in my case. Make sure your slash attackers are the ones clashing the wings' attacks. Build your team to be more predominantly slash attackers - if all else fails remember you can rewind to the rest stop to reconfigure.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Quackles posted:

Warp Don is really good here. I strongly recommend against Grippy Sinclair because he doesn't really give much benefit once he gets maxed out SP-wise.

Generally, for the entire Railway and MDH as well, you want to spend EGOs freely if you are unable to clash a skill normally. That means bringing a team with some of every sin generally so you can power them, but also making sure your EGOs are properly configured in the rest stop. For Ardor Blossom Star, you will want to clash that with an EGO (or Rip Space, because Don's just that good.)

In the case of the moth, you just want Slash attackers with strong attacks. Seven Faust and Warp Don were particularly helpful in my case. Make sure your slash attackers are the ones clashing the wings' attacks. Build your team to be more predominantly slash attackers - if all else fails remember you can rewind to the rest stop to reconfigure.

W Ryoshu is also one of the best slash IDs in the game and should absolutely be in the group. Even her S2 will do horrible things to slash-weak enemies and her EGO are mostly Slash.

e: also yeah N Sinclair is more hinderance than help vs enemies he can't bulldoze through since he's inevitably going to need to burn the occasional turn either panicking or avoiding corrosion

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 27, 2024

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Yinlock posted:

W Ryoshu is also one of the best slash IDs in the game and should absolutely be in the group. Even her S2 will do horrible things to slash-weak enemies and her EGO are mostly Slash.

That's fair. I don't have her myself so she's not listed in my spreadsheet.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Well, that's probably a little bit more strategy than I can manage, but I was able to do it with my second team by offering a sacrifice for a clash each turn, not clashing anything else, and pumping all my damage into whatever the sacrifice targeted...

I'm a little bit wary of restarting now to try for a better score, because there's not that long until the season changes and I won't have time after I go to bed, so I have to stay up...

And there's four more fights to go.

edit: ok I guess I'll restart and try to use warp don and warp ryoshu in team one, to see if I can get my turn count down below 10.

edit: ok now my team is lasting longer, but still not able to kill the moth, so i would actually be taking more turns than when i was dying on turn 9...

I'm gonna give it another hour of trying and then give up.

edit: GOTTEM, 9 turns just barely squeaked by lol

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 27, 2024

Numbus26
Jun 23, 2023
I think I'm comfortable just not finishing Railroads from here on out. I'm too stupid to plan teams and even follow guides apparently, so I guess Station 9 is my last stop.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Okay, I was able to beat the moth and the next couple fights, so I only have two left to go, and I'm stuck again.

Is there a suggested team (or suggested characters) for Gasharpoon ? I do okay on the first phase but by the time the third happens, I'm usually in dire straights. I was using orange Heathcliff (r corp 4th pack rabbit) but he runs out of ammo and I don't have any envy resources stocked up for Bodysack anyways, so I should probably swap him out for a different character?

The guide says the boss is resistant to yellow so I skimped on bringing yellow, but then I ended up in a situation where since Mersault was my only healer, I only had one charge of Pursuance before I ran out of healing. Soda needs purple and I don't have purple points saved so I didn't bring Hong Lu, and I didn't bring Faust and the lack of Fluid Sac is hurting me too, but I also have pretty bad light blue generation...

I'm at 74 turns so I'd like to beat it in 13 turns or less, rather than trying to do two fights with two teams.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Colin Mockery posted:

Okay, I was able to beat the moth and the next couple fights, so I only have two left to go, and I'm stuck again.

Is there a suggested team (or suggested characters) for Gasharpoon ? I do okay on the first phase but by the time the third happens, I'm usually in dire straights. I was using orange Heathcliff (r corp 4th pack rabbit) but he runs out of ammo and I don't have any envy resources stocked up for Bodysack anyways, so I should probably swap him out for a different character?

The guide says the boss is resistant to yellow so I skimped on bringing yellow, but then I ended up in a situation where since Mersault was my only healer, I only had one charge of Pursuance before I ran out of healing. Soda needs purple and I don't have purple points saved so I didn't bring Hong Lu, and I didn't bring Faust and the lack of Fluid Sac is hurting me too, but I also have pretty bad light blue generation...

I'm at 74 turns so I'd like to beat it in 13 turns or less, rather than trying to do two fights with two teams.

Bring Harpooner Heath instead of Rabbit, for starters, since not only does he deal a lot of damage to Ahab due to his Pierce, Envy and Pride affinities, he also tanks good. Cinqlair is another great choice when it comes to tearing through Ahab. I also brought a Yi Sang (though I forget which one, probably Spicebush, but could've been First Mate too) just to get those Protection stacks against the annoying counters in the Queequeg phase. Also brought Captain Ishmael for generally being good, and having great damage types for this fight, and Blind Obsession for SP gain. Had a Faust for healing, and I forget who the sixth guy was. Just bring a Pierce guy with sin affinities Ahab's not resistant to.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
My suggestion for a sixth is Cinq Outis. She's hits hard and works as a dodge tank which can be quite nice.

Then for the final fight against the Spiral a rupture team will dominate.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 27, 2024

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I honestly think that for that leg of the railway, the priority is characters who resist pierce, simply because of Ahab and crew.

Regarding keeping stocked with EGO resources: When I have the option to attack someone unopposed, I will often choose attacks favoring EGO resources I want to charge, or getting low-quality skills out of my hand. This helps me stay stocked up.

That plus teambuilding (always make sure you have a little of each sin generation) are the big ones.

Colin Mockery posted:

Is there a suggested team (or suggested characters) for Gasharpoon ? I do okay on the first phase but by the time the third happens, I'm usually in dire straights.

Are you having trouble with the Starbuck phase, or with the third phase specifically?

If Starbuck, remember to set up so that the people who get Prey Mark can clash Echoing Cry (otherwise it gets that power boost). If clashing isn't possible with their upcoming regular attacks, see who has EGOs ready and get Prey Mark on them instead.

The third phase just sucks. Try and power through with help from your healers. Fluid Sac and Pursuance are important enough that every team I build is set up so that they can power them.

PS: Congrats on beating Ahab and crew! That's the actual hardest fight of the railway IMO.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

LostRook posted:

My suggestion for a sixth is Cinq Outis. She's hits hard and works as a dodge tank which can be quite nice.

I also beat Railway yesterday for the 1st time and for the last 3 fights i used the BL team ( except outis and sinclair) plus Pequod Heath (just to draw aggro) and Cinq Outis.
Outis was definitely amazing, dodging almost everything while BL did the damage.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

LostRook posted:

I'd say Burn or Sinking is better since Rupture requires everything to go just so to go off

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
You need to have the resources to pop Yi Sang's Dimension Shredder and then retry until you can use Talisman Sinclair's S2 on hands turn one then S3 on body turn two, but that's it in terms of "just right." With full rupture team you'll get to sustainable 99 rupture in no time. I barely understood the fight and still managed to do it in 5 turns.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Yeah, it's the third phase specifically, where I think my party's just too worn down from the previous phases to power through it, that I get caught up.

I already brought magic bullet outis and rabbit heath, so I can't swap them out without having to redo the two previous fights, and I definitely don't want to do floor 10 again.

I'm gonna add Faust back into my team and hopefully having a mass AOE heal will be enough, that tip about using your unopposed attacks to generate the element you want is a real good one, thanks. I usually go for damage, but that makes so much more sense when I'm hurting for resources and desperately need to have my EGOs available for clashing.

edit: boo, i beat him in 14 turns but maint is up

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 27, 2024

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Happy Shelter from the 27th of March day btw

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Colin Mockery posted:

I'm gonna add Faust back into my team and hopefully having a mass AOE heal will be enough, that tip about using your unopposed attacks to generate the element you want is a real good one, thanks. I usually go for damage, but that makes so much more sense when I'm hurting for resources and desperately need to have my EGOs available for clashing.

Oh, you didn't have Faust with you? That'll do it. Fluid Sac is basically necessary to have a chill time running Railway, in my opinion.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

with it being the dawn of the final day here's my hot takes on the S3 IDs if anyone's missing any and wants to do some last-minute shopping, and just to put my thoughts down:

Twinhook Gregor: A coin-flip ID in a coin-flip game, if everything goes well the enemy explodes, if it doesn't he'll just bounce off like Jackie Chan trying to punch the villains' giant bodybuilder henchman. As usual for Gregor he wants to be on a status team but doesn't really contribute to it, in this case Bleed.

LCCB Ryoshu: bad, though notably she has a decent support passive(for ammo IDs) which is very rare for Ryoshu.

Middle Meursault: TABI(Technically A Bleed ID, in which an ID does inflict bleed but barely any and doesn't really do anything with it). Envy res is pretty good, he can tag along with any team that wants to do that pretty comfortably. Worth picking up.

Middle Don: TABI. Okay but has trouble utilizing her gimmick to it's full potential, she's based around being an envy-focused hit-trading brawler but has no real damage mitigation. She can potentially throw out her S3 whenever the 6x envy res conditon is met but this requires her to take an unmitigated hit, if the enemy gets interrupted in any way or she gets staggered from the hit you get jack all. She's okay but I wouldn't say she's worth going out of your way to get.

First Mate Yi Sang: An okay 00 ID that turns into a demon with any outside source of Poise generation, the more absurd the better. MD Superstar for sure but a bit too impractical outside of that. Saved from the TABI mines due to inflicting 6 Bleed Count on S3, though only on crit on a specific coin.

Harpoon Heathcliff: :eyepop: (TABI)

Ahab Ishmael: :captainpop:.

Blade Meursault: why isn't there a samurai version of :eyepop:. anyway get these 3, no question. well this guy needs some investment: he really wants the following 2 IDs and Blade Yi Sang. His S3 will hit like Jackie Chan finding a ladder in the middle of the evil gang's base if it goes off and is definitely worth the jankery involved but he's fragile(for Meursault, which means he's above-average in terms of toughness) so you can't go super hard on it.

Blade Faust: Just okay unless she has an outside source of Poise generation, in which case she becomes a damage monster with no downside. She does need help starting her poise snowball though. Technically TABI which is funny to think about.

Blade Don: Good support for the Blade Gang, if you're using the 3 (good) 000s there's no reason not to bring her along.

Kurokumo Gregor: why are you here. As is Gregor Standard he wants the enemy to have a lot of a status but doesn't really contribute to it. Needs the enemy at 7+ Bleed to do anything and is decent when that condition is met, but nothing outstanding(especially since keeping the stack going is Bleed's main concern right now). seriously though why is he here.

Garden of Thorns: why are you here part 2, Greg really can't catch a break this season. Insanely overpriced resonance EGO based off of one of the least-used sins. TBF wuthering heights is likely gonna be Lust central but it's still way overcosted for what it does and it's also season 3 locked for some reason???

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

servers have been down for hours, that ship's sailed my guy

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Blackajack posted:

servers have been down for hours, that ship's sailed my guy

well just to put my thoughts down then

e: i never really figured out when maintenance happens, it's usually some vague time from 10 to midnight in my time zone

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 28, 2024

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Yinlock posted:

Middle Meursault: TABI(Technically A Bleed ID, in which an ID does inflict bleed but barely any and doesn't really do anything with it). Envy res is pretty good, he can tag along with any team that wants to do that pretty comfortably. Worth picking up.

I would say he has one of the best support passives in the game for dungeons and railways. 10 sanity recovery a turn for a character as long you have someone from the same faction makes getting your stuff up and keeping it there much easier.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

LostRook posted:

I would say he has one of the best support passives in the game for dungeons and railways. 10 sanity recovery a turn for a character as long you have someone from the same faction makes getting your stuff up and keeping it there much easier.

Does "same faction" mean same as Meursault(aka just Don) or just any two from identical factions? if it's the latter than yeah that's really good

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
Man, this dialogue is great. I even lol'd at the line about Hong Lu and Ryoshu prettying up Heathcliff and I'm not a vocal person.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yinlock posted:

Does "same faction" mean same as Meursault(aka just Don) or just any two from identical factions? if it's the latter than yeah that's really good

It has to be two of the same faction on the frontline.

So you need 2 Pequod Crew or 2 W Corp etc fighting together as your active sinners.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Can't believe T Corp stole their culture from a mediocre Justin Timberlake movie from 2011

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Time

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

It has to be two of the same faction on the frontline.

So you need 2 Pequod Crew or 2 W Corp etc fighting together as your active sinners.

oh that's super good then

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021
Apologies, I don't follow the Limbus Company news too closely. Pumped to play the new story bits, but when is Mirror Dungeon 4 coming out?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

did a couple pulls for butler outis and, of course, got Garden of Thorns somehow. season 3 my rear end

as an aside 40-45 only takes 13 blue tickets, pretty good deal

e: or not considering how many you gotta level up

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 28, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Rupture Meursault: looks like one of his best ids, really prefers a rupture team
Sinking Outis: :stare:

s1: 2 coins, 11 power, goes up with sinking, inflicts a little sinking
s2: 3 coins, 16 power, goes up with sinking, inflicts a bunch of sinking and sinking count
s3: 4 coins, 16 power, goes up with sinking, inflicts sinking count and a weird-rear end debuff that looks really, really nasty in a sinking team

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Goatse James Bond posted:

Rupture Meursault: looks like one of his best ids, really prefers a rupture team
Sinking Outis: :stare:

imo meursault isn't great as he eats count for no real payoff, i agree that outis is fuckin nuts though