Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

KazigluBey posted:

Do we know it is this and not, like, 00 Dawn Office and 000 EGO ID?
Because there's only two character splash screens, one before the demonstration and one after. Also, the first one opens with a shot of Philip's wing.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Apr 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Okay someone please tell me what I'm supposed to be doing for 5-30. I know blunt IDs are good, and Ishmael can't die, but I keep getting owned by the bosses' big aoe attack, and I'm really struggling with this fight

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Tardzilla posted:

Okay someone please tell me what I'm supposed to be doing for 5-30. I know blunt IDs are good, and Ishmael can't die, but I keep getting owned by the bosses' big aoe attack, and I'm really struggling with this fight
Don't clash, ignore the mooks.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Based on the enemy in the trailer, we're getting a Fairy Festival

Frame-by-framing the trailer during the card section has a whole bunch of enemy silhouettes that I don't recognize as well. That'll be fun.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Tardzilla posted:

If you have LCCB Ish use her and N Sinclair(use a buddy if you don't have him). I did it a couple days ago with those two and N Faust but those two alone should technically work fine.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
Alright, PhilClair looks so much cooler than Philip. And those EGOs look badass!

...poo poo! I forgot you can only roll for that stuff! ARGH!

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg
WINGBEAT ISH
MY BELOVED

Very excited by everything here, especially the reveals for MD4: I have a lot of questions about what enhanced events might involve, and the EGO gifts... I didn't get a super-close freezeframe look but I feel like a LOT of those cutouts were new icons.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
I think my ideal mirror dungeon design would involve exploring the City for the first two floors, then exploring a LobCorp facility for the last two/three.

The first floor gives you a choice of which District you want to go to, the second floor gives you a choice of whether you want to go to the Nest (more events and fewer fights, but harder encounters and more complicated event scenarios) or the Backstreets (more battles and fewer events, but the fights are easier and the whole thing is more straightforward). You get events involving people, like in the Bongy or Blade Lineage events.

The third floor onwards sees you descend into a LobCorp facility, with you first picking an Asiyah (upper) department for the third floor, then a Briah (middle) department for the fourth floor, with different effects depending on the department. Events are the Abnormality events we've seen in Mirror Dungeons so far. Hard mode would see the addition of a fifth floor where things get weird as reality warps from getting close to the Golden Bough at the core of the facility.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
I wonder if the new Mirror Dungeons are reflective of the amount of Golden Boughs we are gathering: the more we gather, the further they can warp reality.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Oh hey (likely)Bleed EGOs for Rodion and Ishmael, it's too bad Rodion's bleed ID blows. Ishmael's is one of the best but it's also not really focused on applying Bleed(but to be fair almost no IDs are, Bleed has it rough out here fusion gift aside)

Was not expecting Phillip of all people to have the first transformation mechanic, how good he is is probably gonna depend on how long it takes him to reach that state.

e:

Tardzilla posted:

The AoE attack is a failure state, you gotta burst him before that happens. His buddies dying will just make things worse, clash with them if you have to but they're low-priority. When the Test of The Big Brother starts that's your cue to go all-in because he's going to stop screwing around afterward.

You've got 3 waves so take it easy on the first two to build SP and resources. Use up your S1s when you can to stack the deck as much as possible for wave 3. There's no time limit for the EX so take ruthless advantage of that.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 26, 2024

Numbus26
Jun 23, 2023
I really like Sanguine Desire's animation stylistically, with the red shoe(s) runup before the attack. It's cool to see them continue to experiment with more three-dimensional EGO animations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

:siren:farmwatch alert:siren: in the MD preview, our failson has returned from the war.

still doesn't get an ID though

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Yinlock posted:

:siren:farmwatch alert:siren: in the MD preview, our failson has returned from the war.

still doesn't get an ID though

I'm just going to note one more time that IRL Dongrang has a TON of baggage in Korea that, I presume, Project Moon doesn't want to even dip their toe in by giving a Sinner his EGO.

Not ragging on you, I just think it remains a relevant factor as far as "why we don't have a Farmwatch ID"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Probe 17 posted:

I'm just going to note one more time that IRL Dongrang has a TON of baggage in Korea that, I presume, Project Moon doesn't want to even dip their toe in by giving a Sinner his EGO.

Not ragging on you, I just think it remains a relevant factor as far as "why we don't have a Farmwatch ID"

I didn't know that, that's fair. I just think it's a cool design and a shame we never got an ID of him.

An ID would replace his face/name but that might not be enough if he was really Controversial so whatever. Still gonna make fun of him for it.

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

My secret? I don't have any bones.

Yinlock posted:

I mean, for a test I'd use like the Hana or Rabbits or a more standard fight rather than the Roland Misery Power Hour, but i'm also pretty halfassed so :shrug:

I dont think that testing out my postgame modded floor on a fight thats free with suboptimal vanilla decks would be very useful

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Probe 17 posted:

The author he's based on ended up colluding with the Japanese occupation, right? And the IRL Gubo went even further and that's likely why he's the one on Hermann's team?

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

PetraCore posted:

The author he's based on ended up colluding with the Japanese occupation, right? And the IRL Gubo went even further and that's likely why he's the one on Hermann's team?

This is pretty much the tall and short of it on Dongrang's end. I don't know about Gubo, though.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

It's the sort of thing where I don't really have the cultural context to judge how much that would be upsetting for a Farmwatch ID to happen. Clearly PM wanted to display the Guinhoe with all their flaws in a very flawed setting as the League of Nine, but they're also not avoiding the allusions to authors that openly supported Japanese brutalities in Korea, they're making the characters based on those authors villains who are willing to work with and support brutal people doing brutal things for their own self-gain, like Alfonso and Hermann. I'm not sure if having a Farmwatch ID would be too much focus on Dongrang, especially considering the author who's work Dongbaek is based on was a stalker who sent his victim letters written in his own blood, which caused PM to make more distance between him and Dongbaek than, say, between Yi Sang and Yi Sang, but there's still a Dongbaek ID.

Mind, I don't think a Farmwatch ID is going to happen. I'm just unsure if that's why.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DuoRogue posted:

I dont think that testing out my postgame modded floor on a fight thats free with suboptimal vanilla decks would be very useful

i mean BS also isn't that hard numbers-wise it's just really long and has some Gimmicks

but again this is a personal preference thing i was just curious as to why that fight in particular since it's so big

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 28, 2024

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

My secret? I don't have any bones.
there isnt a single floor agnostic fight in ruina with hard numbers

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DuoRogue posted:

there isnt a single floor agnostic fight in ruina with hard numbers

not for endgame pages anyway, true

i wish you could freestyle the ensemble fights post-game

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Apocalypse Bird doesn't gently caress around, huh. I don't have a ton of Aleph gear, but eggs don't fight back so I'm hoping that it isn't too bad. I think the first time I failed was forgetting I had Magic Bullet on someone, and a whole bunch of abnos got loose. It seems like the move to make is make a death ball with all my heaviest damage dealers and point them towards the pale egg whenever bird isn't in that room. Then just take my time with the other two eggs. I took Melting Love for extraction the next day but when I realized how her gimmick worked I rewinded ASAP. Not sure where the ideal building location would be for her.

I don't think I have anyone who can even equip Apocalypse Bird's EGO atm, but it seems like the much easier option compared to suppressing Nothing There+Blue Star+Whatever other Aleph appears. I've got 100 hours in this game now but a good portion of that is leaving the game idle when I forget to close it and lots of day resets. I'm enjoying dealing with the abnormalities (when they're not all breaking out at once), suppression less so, but I wish everything was a little less inconvenient and janky. Maybe I should've moved onto Ruina at this point but now I'm way too investe

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

hostess with the Moltres posted:

Apocalypse Bird doesn't gently caress around, huh. I don't have a ton of Aleph gear, but eggs don't fight back so I'm hoping that it isn't too bad. I think the first time I failed was forgetting I had Magic Bullet on someone, and a whole bunch of abnos got loose. It seems like the move to make is make a death ball with all my heaviest damage dealers and point them towards the pale egg whenever bird isn't in that room. Then just take my time with the other two eggs. I took Melting Love for extraction the next day but when I realized how her gimmick worked I rewinded ASAP. Not sure where the ideal building location would be for her.

I don't think I have anyone who can even equip Apocalypse Bird's EGO atm, but it seems like the much easier option compared to suppressing Nothing There+Blue Star+Whatever other Aleph appears. I've got 100 hours in this game now but a good portion of that is leaving the game idle when I forget to close it and lots of day resets. I'm enjoying dealing with the abnormalities (when they're not all breaking out at once), suppression less so, but I wish everything was a little less inconvenient and janky. Maybe I should've moved onto Ruina at this point but now I'm way too investe

Melting Love likes being in Records or Extraction since they're isolated and have a very low chance of some dingus wandering by her hallway and ruining everything, and she's completely harmless if that doesn't happen. The Omega Bird is a good trial run for if you/your facility can handle everything going to poo poo which is a handy skill for endgame, some agents are probably going to get eaten but whoever lives gets a fun prize.

e: also some idiot with magic bullet slaughtering your deathball/crowded hallway/whatever is a lobcorp rite of passage. if someone claims to have never had that happen to them they're lying

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 28, 2024

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Yinlock posted:

e: also some idiot with magic bullet slaughtering your deathball/crowded hallway/whatever is a lobcorp rite of passage. if someone claims to have never had that happen to them they're lying

I never used the drat thing in my playthroughs. :colbert:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TeeQueue posted:

I never used the drat thing in my playthroughs. :colbert:

unless you never got magic bullet man in your playthroughs or already knew what it did i'm going to just point at the previous statement about Lying

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I used it for one day, murdered my clerks with it because that side of the building had it in a group with Laetitia rifles so everyone stayed out of range, and then went "Yeeeah that's never getting play again."

hindsight being 20/20 i should have used it for the dusk goal, since I did that asap and it would have trivialized.... I wanna say amber dusk? Might have been green. It's good for both.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TeeQueue posted:

I used it for one day, murdered my clerks with it because that side of the building had it in a group with Laetitia rifles so everyone stayed out of range, and then went "Yeeeah that's never getting play again."

hindsight being 20/20 i should have used it for the dusk goal, since I did that asap and it would have trivialized.... I wanna say amber dusk? Might have been green. It's good for both.

yeah everyone's slaughtered some clerks with it at least

it IS good for murdering ordeals if you can remember who has it equipped(I can't)

e: to elaborate I used it to do so for a while then later absentmindedly sent a few agents to finish off an ordeal and noticed all of them but one suddenly explode. i went to investigate and mr magic bullet was merrily firing away into the hallway

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 28, 2024

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

My favorite thing is that I have never suffered a death to Violet Noon, entirely because a friend told me "You'll lose your entire facility the first time, and after that it'll never kill one again."

So when I saw one I thought about what it'd do, moved everyone out of the main rooms, and let it rip. Because that's what made the most sense for what would be super easy to avoid but absolutely kill you the first time. :v:

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Batshit crazy theory time: Don Quixote is not Alonso Quijano. She is, in truth, Miguel de Cervantes. Her story is not the novel Don Quixote de la Mancha, but instead the musical Man of La Mancha. Madam of La Mancha, if you will.

Don Quixote's delusions mention the Twelve Paladins of Charlemagne a lot, to the point where there is a letter to Don Quixote from Roland himself describing them as a rival and peer:

But, more importantly, there is one specific part of Don Quixote's legend I wish to bring attention to. The Cave of Montesinos, in which Don Quixote spends half an hour in to the outside world but claims to have spent three days exploring, in which he met the knight Montesinos, who was present at the battle where Roland died and carries the heart of his cousin Durandarte, who died in that same battle. However, Merlin put them under a spell that led to them being unable to leave the cave - the magic of which leads to Durandarte's heartless corpse sighing and speaking as if he were still alive. However, Merlin foresaw Don Quixote's coming and prophesized that they would be able to lift their enchantments.

Upon leaving the cave (in which he spent half an hour revelling in delusion) Sancho simply thinks that Don Quixote is crazy. Don, however, says that Sancho will one day realize the story is true.

So here we have here a story where someone spent only minutes outside but spent days trapped in a cave, where people were unable to die despite literally having their heart removed. In the context of the City, that's a Warp train. And Don got off without having their memory wiped.

Now, let us turn our attention to Man of La Mancha. To just copy the Wikipedia summary:

quote:

In the late sixteenth century, failed author-soldier-actor and tax collector Miguel de Cervantes has been thrown into a dungeon by the Spanish Inquisition, along with his manservant. They have been charged with foreclosing on a monastery. Their fellow prisoners attack them, eager to steal the contents of the large trunk Cervantes has brought with him. However, a sympathetic criminal known as "the Governor" suggests setting up a mock trial instead. Only if Cervantes is found guilty will he have to hand over his possessions. A cynical prisoner, known as "the Duke," charges Cervantes with being an idealist and a bad poet. Cervantes pleads guilty, but then asks if he may offer a defense, in the form of a play, acted out by him and all the prisoners. The "Governor" agrees.

Cervantes takes out a makeup kit and costume from his trunk, and transforms himself into Alonso Quijano, an old gentleman who has read so many books of chivalry and thought so much about injustice that he has lost his mind and set out as a knight-errant. Quijano renames himself Don Quixote de La Mancha, and goes off to find adventures with his "squire", Sancho Panza. ("Man of La Mancha (I, Don Quixote)")

The scene where the play begins.

We have here a story where Miguel is imprisoned with dangerous prisoners willing to do him harm, but wins them over by getting them all involved with a play they all perfom in and really get into. Now, let's combine this, the knowledge that Don's adventures include an event similar to a Warp train and a letter of praise from Roland, and these:

TeeQueue posted:

Yep. They made a whole rear end kingdom on the train one time. Appointed each other as kings, knights, nobles, and whatever. A town is nothing compared to that. Treason and schemes were rampant, the kingdom fell into decline, and loyal knights made valiant efforts to save their failing country.

Wow~ What happened next?!

Lesti's Page posted:

But sometimes, the cleanup crew isn’t enough for the job. What’s so scary about dealing with humans, you ask? I heard this story from my seniors… One time, a Color hid their identity and snuck onto the train. What a shocker that must’ve been… It’s our rule to stop powerful people like Colors or key members of Associations from boarding our WARP trains, or to guide them to take First Class seats if they must board the train, for a safe and smooth restoration process. We want them to sleep without a care instead of joining in the chaos of the other carriages~ That Color Fixer was super tricky to deal with, they told me? Most passengers started training under the Color’s guidance in order to attain some kind of enlightenment. All but a few of our agents were pulverized by those people before they could even see a glimpse of the Color…

But, we aren’t totally powerless against those situations. We would’ve gotten into so many problems otherwise, yeah? In case things get too difficult for our agents to handle, we call R Corp, a Wing we’re partnered with. I saw footage about R Corp. in our training course… They were so cool. That was my first time seeing the mercenaries in action! They’d keep pressing on and wipe their targets, no matter how harsh their resistance was… I was like, whoa, they really are something else. The Fourth Pack… Was it called the Rabbit Team? Yeah, I think it was. I gotta wonder, though; why rabbits of all animals? Isn’t that an herbivore?

And what do we get?

Author Miguel de Cervantes was on a Warp Train with Roland, managed to stop the passengers from killing each other via becoming Don Quixote, and somehow managed to escape the train and the Rabbits. She isn't Don Quixote, and probably knows she isn't, but keeps up the act for the sake of people who no longer meaningfully exist since the time she spent with them was erased from their minds. "If you wanted me to carry on our dreams," indeed.

Also there's an acryllic figure of Don with MIGUEL written on her coat instead of DON QUIXOTE.

Also also her spear has "Sueno Imposible" - "The Impossible Dream" written on it. That's from Man of La Mancha, not Don Quixote.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 28, 2024

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
It's a theory I've seen floating around quite a bit, and taken all the points in favor, I would not classify it as batshit. I'd be surprised if this was not the route PM was aiming at, rather. At the very least, I'd expect some form of funky synthesis of the two works.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

GilliamYaeger posted:

Batshit crazy theory

Only counterpoint I thought to all that is: W-Corp Don Quixote seemed completely ignorant of how W-Corp trains work.

KobunFan fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 28, 2024

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

KobunFan posted:

Only counterpoint I thought to all that is: W-Corp Don Quixote seemed completely ignorant of how W-Corp trains work.

Yeah, this. It would be like having a "Wuthering Heights Chief Butler Heathcliff" or "Pequod Harpooner Ishmael" in general ID pool without those IDs mentioning even once that Wuthering Heights or Pequod is in any way connected to their background and behaving as if it was completely new environment for them. It isn't impossible, but it's highly unlikely and any obfuscation like that would need a lot of bad writing to work.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I do wanna point out one piece of evidence in favor:

The last event before Chapter 7 is "Murder on the Warp Express".

Take that as you will.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

Quackles posted:

I do wanna point out one piece of evidence in favor:

The last event before Chapter 7 is "Murder on the Warp Express".

Take that as you will.

That's not a point in favor! We had a guy distorting into Eldritch Abomination Colonel Sanders but that had almost nothing to do with the chapter following.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

seems like a reach op. big if true though

e:

KobunFan posted:

That's not a point in favor! We had a guy distorting into Eldritch Abomination Colonel Sanders but that had almost nothing to do with the chapter following.

the Kimventure also had nothing to do with the next chapter other than being around T Corp

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 28, 2024

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
The chicken event was.. I guess tangentially related to Canto 4 in that it introduced Samjo, the concept annihilator, and Dongrang working in food resources.

The crab event turned the bus into a boat so that it could navigate the lake in Canto 5 and highlighted Ishmael's mood, but didn't have anything to do with whales, the Middle, the Indigo Elder, or the Pequod Crew.

The Christmas event and the Blade Lineage event introduced some neat concepts, like intelligent non-humans, what life is like in the Outskirts, what the Library Guests went through immediately after the end of Ruina, and cubes that distort you, but as far as I can tell the only running line that led to Canto 6 was Heathcliff wanting to get dressed up all fancy, and that got discarded pretty quickly.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me
I do wish to point out that Roland mask make him difficult to recognize or something, seeing how his last dice is untargetable in the Black Silence Reception.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

It IS an reach, but the name Miguel printed on Don does appear to be a thing, so there at the very least is some kind of fuckery with Don being Miguel.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

GilliamYaeger posted:

Batshit crazy theory

Well put together but I have another argument against, albeit a circumstancial one- languages. So far every literary work serving as an inspiration for a given Sinner shared the language with the Association corresponding to the Sinner's number- and for Don that's Tres, in Spanish. Man of La Mancha, unlike the original Don Quixote, was written in English, by an American writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

L.U.I.G.I posted:

I do wish to point out that Roland mask make him difficult to recognize or something, seeing how his last dice is untargetable in the Black Silence Reception.

yeah it was something like that iirc. ironically it's also likely a major factor in why people think he's the Black Silence

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 28, 2024