Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Re: teambuilding for the new fire team.

You've got Base Yi Sang and N Faust on SP support duty.

You've got Hong Lu also on support duty, for either SP or burn count depending on the ID.

You've got Gun Outis, Philclair, and Liu Rodion, Ishamel and Ryoshu on field.

This leaves the sixth member of the group as either Don, Meursault, Heathcliff, or Gregor. Ideally, you'll have an ID with both Lust and Wrath to facilitate Lust chains for N Faust's passive and Wrath chains to boost Philip's S3.

Dead Rabbits Meursault has both Wrath and Lust, but is a Rupture ID. Cinq Don is better and status-agnostic, but only has Lust. Shi Don and Cliff have both Wrath and Lust but are bad.

Liu Meur with Regret abuse?

PetraCore posted:

As for Don theories, I'm neutral on whether or not Warp Trains play a significant part in her backstory. You can see a setup through her base EGO Window that has very much W Corp colors in the ripped out segment in the middle, but I don't think those colors would only show up on the trains. She might just be from District 23 or something...? That said, I fully believe her real name is Miguel and there might be an extra layer of masking going on there, both from the figurine and from the name of her weapon.
The main thing that sells it for me is that you've got the "they made a kingdom" story from Ruina.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Yinlock posted:

rip N-corp team

anyway Hot Takes:

Wingbeat Ishmael: Joined K Hong Lu in stealing Gregor's old niche. Is basically going to get to full health from anywhere but is going to annihilate her own SP to do it if she gets (un)lucky. Passive is amazing though Ishmael doesn't have a (good) tank ID to make use of it.

Red Shoes Rodion: It's alright if somewhat resource-intensive since the corrosion is the only way it adds Count(and while the no-count-decrease is good, being "this turn" means that speed can render it moot due to bleed being enemy-dependent)

Brave Sir Robin: Slots perfectly into the Liu team and even brings some Gloom to the table which they lack without Hong Lu. Volatile as hell as advertised. Seems to be a normal ID until 45 SP at which point he becomes N Sinclair for a few moves then goes back to normal. Really wants to win clashes in EGO mode to mitigate the SP drain but the [On Use] nature means he's inevitably going to gently caress up a roll somewhere important. Still, looks good.

e: bonus ishmael funny: There's no cap on that coin reuse so she can potentially corrode from 45 SP. It's obviously insanely unlikely but still.
Rodion's no-count-decrease is combat start, so how is speed supposed to possibly render it moot? Next turn stuff?

There's no explicit] cap on this preview, but we've definitely seen no explict cap on other IDs preview that did end up having caps, I think it was Pequod Yi Sang?

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

GilliamYaeger posted:

Wanna bring attention to this part of the patch notes:

Starting gifts rework. Seems like it's going to be slash/blunt/pierce rather than ailment types, and you cannot reset over and over for tier IV gifts.

Not sure how I feel about this.

Fwiw the damage type categories are in addition to the statuses, not replacing them.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

My crackpot theory for don's canto is that dante is gonna be riding too high on how well he did with heathcliff and think "oh we gotta help don be a hero" and misapprehend the problem. bough resonance and all

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

studio mujahideen posted:

My crackpot theory for don's canto is that dante is gonna be riding too high on how well he did with heathcliff and think "oh we gotta help don be a hero" and misapprehend the problem. bough resonance and all
Okay, I could see it. Dante's really been figuring out how to manage the Sinners pretty well but it doesn’t mean they can't misread a situation, especially with how much they were flying on intuition for handling Heathcliff. But Heathcliff's pretty straightforward, and Don only seems that straightforward, imo.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

RandomReader posted:

Rodion's no-count-decrease is combat start, so how is speed supposed to possibly render it moot? Next turn stuff?

There's no explicit] cap on this preview, but we've definitely seen no explict cap on other IDs preview that did end up having caps, I think it was Pequod Yi Sang?

Oh I didn't see the combat start part, my bad. I did say it was hot takes time

And yeah there could be a cap but not having one would be a disadvantage to the player rather than Yi Sang's potential "attack forever until you stop critting"

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
By the way, there's going to be another of those MD resets this week. My advice is to do a MD3H run now then just leave it sitting there without claiming the rewards until patch day.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GilliamYaeger posted:

By the way, there's going to be another of those MD resets this week. My advice is to do a MD3H run now then just leave it sitting there without claiming the rewards until patch day.

What do you mean?

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

The update starts a few hours after the weekly bonus resets. But it's a new MD, so after the update the bonus is going to reset again. So you can get it twice if you want.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GilliamYaeger posted:

Specifically, it forces a forefeit once the week rolls over but you can get the partial reward iirc

anyway good last chance to use a Bleed team before they become much, much worse

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
When MD3 was new, I decided to see how much of the EGO gift compendium I could fill out before it would likely be reset with MD4. I'm currently at 84/100. I probably could have gone much higher if I ran it enough to get the starlight for the New Discovery perks and whatever the perk is called that makes high-level gifts spawn more often. I only started doing that a few weeks ago. Still haven't gotten any of the fusion gifts.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Finally beat 6-34, I kind of put it off once I hit that wall. Went through 35 and 36 as well.

So to make sure that I’m understanding this correctly, at least for where I am right now—Aseah’s experiments, supported by Cathy (and also Hermann/the N-Corp squad) is about trying to attain some primordial source of humanity. The current status of that project is a sort of… Dough, as they describe it. It’s not a human in its own right, but it’s capable of perfectly wearing *any* Identity (whereas the Sinners can only wear their own).

Somehow, Isabella Edgar was wearing the Evil Heathcliff ID (henceforth Erlkonig Heathcliff). We beat the poo poo out of that (after many attempts on my part), then un-distorted Heathcliff after Carmen swooped in. Then Linton comes along, exposits, approaches Cathy’s coffin (after a chat with Carmen, which is apparently a regular occurrence for him), and melts into the Dough because of… I don’t know, Cathy Radiation. Sarah comes up, exposits, and overlays Erlkonig Heathcliff Mk. 2 onto the Linton-Goo, and peaces out. Erlkonig Heathcliff intends to Kill All Heathcliffs Everywhere, but needs to get to the roof to do so. He necromancies all of the corpses in the manor because he can do that somehow. Also Erlkonig Heathcliff is some kind of Perfect ID, whatever that means

Is that all broadly right?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Finally beat 6-34, I kind of put it off once I hit that wall. Went through 35 and 36 as well.

So to make sure that I’m understanding this correctly, at least for where I am right now—Aseah’s experiments, supported by Cathy (and also Hermann/the N-Corp squad) is about trying to attain some primordial source of humanity. The current status of that project is a sort of… Dough, as they describe it. It’s not a human in its own right, but it’s capable of perfectly wearing *any* Identity (whereas the Sinners can only wear their own).

Somehow, Isabella Edgar was wearing the Evil Heathcliff ID (henceforth Erlkonig Heathcliff). We beat the poo poo out of that (after many attempts on my part), then un-distorted Heathcliff after Carmen swooped in. Then Linton comes along, exposits, approaches Cathy’s coffin (after a chat with Carmen, which is apparently a regular occurrence for him), and melts into the Dough because of… I don’t know, Cathy Radiation. Sarah comes up, exposits, and overlays Erlkonig Heathcliff Mk. 2 onto the Linton-Goo, and peaces out. Erlkonig Heathcliff intends to Kill All Heathcliffs Everywhere, but needs to get to the roof to do so. He necromancies all of the corpses in the manor because he can do that somehow. Also Erlkonig Heathcliff is some kind of Perfect ID, whatever that means

I'm pretty sure they're not corpses, but IDs overlaid onto the people in the pods, like how you had random kidnapped people being turned into Mirror Dead Rabbits.

Other than that yeah you've got it down pretty much.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Solitair posted:

When MD3 was new, I decided to see how much of the EGO gift compendium I could fill out before it would likely be reset with MD4. I'm currently at 84/100. I probably could have gone much higher if I ran it enough to get the starlight for the New Discovery perks and whatever the perk is called that makes high-level gifts spawn more often. I only started doing that a few weeks ago. Still haven't gotten any of the fusion gifts.

Good news, the compendium isn’t resetting.

CountDuckoo
Jul 27, 2022

The Lord of Hats posted:

It is fairly likely Linton was talking to Cathy, not Carmen. Also, in the scene where he melts into the dough, he has tubes and stuff sticking into him, so it's not just Cathy radiation.

Besides that and what GilliamYaeger said above, you have a pretty good understanding of what is going on. It's quite a busy section, so I don't blame you for missing a few details.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
I also don't think the idea was that Clearing All Cathies was the RIGHT choice so much as the most feasible way to save Heath and the Sinners at the time.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

Probe 17 posted:

I also don't think the idea was that Clearing All Cathies was the RIGHT choice so much as the most feasible way to save Heath and the Sinners at the time.

I'm not sure there were any right choices at that point. It was pretty clear that no matter what timeline, no matter what situation, Heathcliff and Cathy were doomed to make each other miserable, no matter how much they loved each other. With the Erlking Heathcliff added to the mix, jumping dimensions specifically to kill Heathcliffs, that became even more true. The only chance for ANY happiness for either of them was for one or the other to be removed from the equation.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

KobunFan posted:

I'm not sure there were any right choices at that point. It was pretty clear that no matter what timeline, no matter what situation, Heathcliff and Cathy were doomed to make each other miserable, no matter how much they loved each other. With the Erlking Heathcliff added to the mix, jumping dimensions specifically to kill Heathcliffs, that became even more true. The only chance for ANY happiness for either of them was for one or the other to be removed from the equation.

They weren't destined to make each-other miserable, that was Erlkonig and All Cathies' assumption. Ultimately all they had to do was communicate with each-other instead of immediately running off on their own and blindly assuming what would make the other happy.

Erlkonig and All Cathies refused to do that in favor of screaming incoherently into the abyss and were effectively some weird immortal amalgam of all the timelines where things went wrong so they in particular had to be separated to stop them or the fight would just continue forever. The whole finale is about how what really makes Heathcliff and Cathy happy is being together, Erlkonig finally gets that through his dumbass head when the erasure is going on

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 1, 2024

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

GilliamYaeger posted:

It never works for me because I work when the daily reset turns over. Alas.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

Yinlock posted:

They weren't destined to make each-other miserable, that was Erlkonig and All Cathies' assumption. Ultimately all they had to do was communicate with each-other instead of immediately running off on their own and blindly assuming what would make the other happy.

Erlkonig and All Cathies refused to do that in favor of screaming incoherently into the abyss and were effectively some weird immortal amalgam of all the timelines where things went wrong so they in particular had to be separated to stop them or the fight would just continue forever. The whole finale is about how what really makes Heathcliff and Cathy happy is being together, Erlkonig finally gets that through his dumbass head when the erasure is going on

And yet, we saw all the universes they were in and that NEVER happened. They never just "communicate with each other". A billion paths and they all led to misery, even if they were both eldritch beings born from the psyche of man! At some point, you have to say that things just are never going to happen.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

KobunFan posted:

And yet, we saw all the universes they were in and that NEVER happened. They never just "communicate with each other". A billion paths and they all led to misery, even if they were both eldritch beings born from the psyche of man! At some point, you have to say that things just are never going to happen.

Except this one, where it happened. And it happening in a bunch of the refracted realities at the very end. The only evidence of "a billion paths and they all lead to misery" is Erlkonig and All Cathies' word and they aren't exactly in-touch with reality, to put it mildly. The whole point is that both Erlkonig and All Cathies are lashing out and attributing blame to some inevitable cosmic law rather than their own communication issues, hence why they spend the entire fight screaming at nothing while Heathcliff and Cathy hop on discord and hash things out.

I mean yes things do go bad very often, it's Wuthering Heights, but it's not a cosmic inevitability

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 1, 2024

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
You have four hours to complete and claim a MD3H run if you want to double dip.

(I already did this since I pre-cooked a run a few days ago)

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 1, 2024

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

GilliamYaeger posted:

You have four hours to complete and claim a MD3H run if you want to double dip.

(I already did this since I pre-cooked a run a few days ago)

:same:

Sad thing is, I only managed to save 20k lunacy or 150 pulls. Hopefully Philclair and the EGOs come home, Yesod and Molar are optional.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

:same:

Sad thing is, I only managed to save 20k lunacy or 150 pulls. Hopefully Philclair and the EGOs come home, Yesod and Molar are optional.

Philclair should be easily possible, EGOs are mercurial at the best of times though

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

Yinlock posted:

Except this one, where it happened. And it happening in a bunch of the refracted realities at the very end. The only evidence of "a billion paths and they all lead to misery" is Erlkonig and All Cathies' word and they aren't exactly in-touch with reality, to put it mildly. The whole point is that both Erlkonig and All Cathies are lashing out and attributing blame to some inevitable cosmic law rather than their own communication issues, hence why they spend the entire fight screaming at nothing while Heathcliff and Cathy hop on discord and hash things out.

I mean yes things do go bad very often, it's Wuthering Heights, but it's not a cosmic inevitability

But it did happen in this world. Catherine said something that Heathcliff misinterpreted, causing him to storm off and Cathy sunk into a depression. At the very end, those realities were created specifically because Cathy no longer existed and Heathcliff was unbound by their relationship.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

KobunFan posted:

But it did happen in this world. Catherine said something that Heathcliff misinterpreted, causing him to storm off and Cathy sunk into a depression. At the very end, those realities were created specifically because Cathy no longer existed and Heathcliff was unbound by their relationship.

And then they hashed it out on discord. Again the entire point is that Heathcliff and Cathy are not Erlkonig and All Cathies, and neither are any of the other realities. Erlkonig and All Cathies' just hosed theirs up and are taking it out on the multiverse. It might work out, it might not, but it was proven that them falling into utter misery is not some cosmic inevitability and Erlkonig is forced to see this right before being undone.

Hell more of them might have turned out well enough without those two's intervention. They claim all that awaits is despair but are actively working to make sure that's the case, because in true Wuthering Heights fashion they're lashing out and trying to make everyone else as miserable as they are.

This is the crux of the final node/fight. Cathy cleared all of 'em to stop Erlkonig/Ghost Cathy specifically, not because her and Heathcliff are inherently miserable together(and their final talk is about how it is in fact the opposite)

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 2, 2024

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Yinlock posted:

Philclair should be easily possible, EGOs are mercurial at the best of times though
I'm just going for Philclair myself. The EGOs can wait for next Walpurgis, for when Ishmael maybe has a good tank ID and Rodion maybe has a good bleed ID. As-is, the lack of ID synergy for either means that neither one is as high priority as Meursault's Regret.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
Yin, I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

And, yeah, IDs are always the most important thing for me. I'll be happy getting Philclair and missing the EGOs.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I have 400 pulls saved up so I’ll go to. One pity. And if I don’t have everything I’ll stop there.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
I'll never understand how you guys manage to farm up so much currency.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
At least 1050 a week, though chances are good it's 1350.

If you do a mirror dungeon a day and one hard dungeon in a week that's 130 shard boxes, which should be enough for to extract a 3* or EGO every other week, so you can save the lunacy for Walpurgisnacht. I also spend 10 bucks a month on the daily lunacy, which was the best deal for it last I checked, but going totally free should let you get most stuff.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

KobunFan posted:

I'll never understand how you guys manage to farm up so much currency.
Buying the Battle Pass and dispensing everything instead of rolling.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

KobunFan posted:

Yin, I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

And, yeah, IDs are always the most important thing for me. I'll be happy getting Philclair and missing the EGOs.

it's like what the whole story is about though

LostRook posted:

At least 1050 a week, though chances are good it's 1350.

If you do a mirror dungeon a day and one hard dungeon in a week that's 130 shard boxes, which should be enough for to extract a 3* or EGO every other week, so you can save the lunacy for Walpurgisnacht. I also spend 10 bucks a month on the daily lunacy, which was the best deal for it last I checked, but going totally free should let you get most stuff.

I just do one hard dungeon a week, a mirror dungeon a day would be agonizing.

but yeah the answer to saving fat stacks is just never spend it on anything. daily lunacy helps too. you also don't need every ID, i've skipped some IDs that were either just okay or rupture

this also includes K Hong Lu, should probably dispense him at some point given he's one of the game's best IDs but ehhh

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GilliamYaeger posted:

I'm just going for Philclair myself. The EGOs can wait for next Walpurgis, for when Ishmael maybe has a good tank ID and Rodion maybe has a good bleed ID. As-is, the lack of ID synergy for either means that neither one is as high priority as Meursault's Regret.

yeah they have the usual EGO issue of being support for strategies that neither one really has

I mean Ishmael only has one technical tank ID but if you count LCB Rodion has 3 Bleed IDs and they're all bad, whoof

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Heathcliff's bat has changed. REVENGE is rubbed out in favor of REMEMBER.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sinclair's not bad in base form, iffy skill 1 but 2 and 3 are good. also a really funny 28 roll on Blazing Strike, 36 at max. also potentially plus 120% damage on top of that what the gently caress.

I mean it's still 1-coin but still having basically an EGO for an s3 is great

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
30 pulls got Philclair and Bloody Rodion. And then I realize... I don't have any exp tickets. T_T

KobunFan fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 2, 2024

Numbus26
Jun 23, 2023
We also finally got confirmation that the Identity narrator is Carmen—Sinclair responds directly to her.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

love 2 have 3 errors between doing anything at all

e: didn't get either EGO, but they seem just Okay given the IDs we have access to so it's whatever

lol at Rodion's staggering 3 count infliction on corrosion

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

KobunFan posted:

While this seems to be the case I'd like to point out that judging from what we've seen of World of Wuthering Heights, clearing all Cathies did not actually do much. Rather, I guess it depends on time? In general, there could have been worlds where Heathcliff got out and found a happier life... but in the Mirror World associated with this chapter, Cathy deleting herself did not do anything except make Linton/Gregor even more sad because he's grieving for something and he doesn't know what or why. Butler Ishmael straight up references the Wild Hunt still being around. Which implies that Erlcliff is still going out and killing everyone throughout all the mirror worlds... I guess we'll have to wait for Erlcliff ID to know what the gently caress's going on there, but the existence of the Wild Hunt alone does not seem like a good sign.

Anyway, errors sure are a thing.

I was rolling for Rodya and Yesod and got Sinclair and Ishmael. I mean, I GUESS.

Faust's statements are super confusing.

Heathcliff's bat being changed is sad. Dante worrying about him is worrying. Don Quixote fangirling over the Library is very worrying considering her canto's slated to ome up next.