Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Theantero posted:

lf only you could talk to these Abnormalities, then perhaps you could try and make friends with them, form alliances... Now, that would be interesting.

haven't these games taught you that If an Abnormality is even remotely helpful and ISN'T a weird floating skull then it is 100% a trap

and yeah count me in on the "was lured into playing this by the LP" club, though i'm using the more info mod because i'm boring like that and don't like things being vague

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I do hope the sequel fixes how repetitive lobcorp 1 can get when you're running out of new stuff to discover and are just trying to farm those last few abnormalities/ resetting so your corp isn't a complete clusterfuck if someone smokes too close to the hallway

all my employees are just smushed up against rudolta's door so he can gift fat insight gains to all the good girls and boys

e: speaking of rudolta i'm actually disappointed that he doesn't become an aleph-tier death monster on christmas eve

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 22, 2020

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

me reading lp: wow why is he such a dick to clerks

me playing: well i made a bee mad, time to execute this entire department

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mountain of Smiling Bodies really makes you want to minimize casualties. By maximizing them. :lobcorp:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Look clearly they aren't dying, they're just being sent to a farm upstate. That's why Mountain doesn't get mad about it.

true, just because they get swallowed into an unfathomable black hole and are never seen again doesn't mean they couldn't, in some universe, be totally fine

I'll tell you what they're not: my problem

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TeeQueue posted:

There comes a point in any aspiring manager's life where in addition to just deleting clerks, they tell themselves "I had seven casualties but it's meltdown level 8 and I cleared the mission I'm just going to call that a win."

That, I feel, is the final step in understanding what a dick the manager is.

it's kind of amazing the kind of rear end in a top hat decisions you'll casually make while playing

look there was no HE equipment left to extract for that mission, I had no other choice but to sacrifice 3 new employees to porccubus rather than be mildly inconvenienced

Horrific Cruelty Doesn't Count If I Rewind Time Afterwards - My Autobiography

e: and the manager is still probably one of the nicest bosses in this world. capitalism!

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 26, 2020

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

so is there a reason why on phase 3 of binah's suppression every single qlipoth counter hits 0 at once for no reason

is it because i was trying to rabbit-cheese her, or tried to pause once, I just can't nail down why it's happening but I would prefer it if it stopped

this suppression is already enough of a pain in the rear end with burrowing heaven, schadenfruede and 4 "use this tool too long/not enough and you die" abnormalities in my facility I don't need a you lose condition on top of that

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Dec 29, 2020

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TeeQueue posted:

Phase 3 of Binah spawns meltdowns like the other 2 phases, and THOSE can lower QC's to 0, but she doesn't do anything like that on her own. When that sort of thing happens to me it's usually because I did something like keep someone in flesh idol and forget to have them leave for too long or PUSHED THE BUTTON.

FLESH IDOL gently caress

I forgot that thing exists entirely while trying to keep track of Shelter and the nightmare that is the life ring

that must be it, I didn't even know it could do that, thanks

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

okay did it

as an aside now that i'm past that, black fixers are insanely rude. I mean I guess it's my fault for putting Yin, CENSORED, and Silent Orchestra in the same hallway but you don't have to call me out like this

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Does WhiteNight spawn meltdowns? I was actually having a good run against him and then Nothing There appeared out of nowhere to wreck my poo poo :negative:

e: though it might've just been a panicking employee somehow making it all the way down to his containment unit, they seem to fuckin love beelining straight for it the second they panic

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 29, 2020

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

speaking of the comic abnormalities I really hope The Road Home makes it in to lobcorp 2 because it's mechanic sounds hilarious

just a house dropping from the sky and murdering an entire room

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

That is basically violent noon.

VN's easy to see coming though, and it's not as funny as a house

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

day 49 is insanely rude

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

finished the rude day and game, was fun. angela is a turd who sucks

started library of ruina, eyes glazed over at the overcomplicated and poorly-explained mechanics and bad interface, I think i'll wait until the game's actually done before getting into it

Lord_Magmar posted:

I’d like if the Oz things were a build up collection mechanic. You need either woodsman or scarecrow for the scaredy cat, and all three to get the road home.

I feel like the fact that WonderLab is clearly giving the aberrations and abnormalities it features mechanics that make sense in terms of the game make it likely all of them will be in LobCorp 2.

imo it should work like Apocalypse Bird where if you get all of them something terrible happens

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Theantero posted:

PM is great, but could really do with a couple lessons in tutorial design, yeah.

Yeah after playing around with it a bit it's not THAT bad but they just barf up way too much information at you way too quickly

Lobcorp was fine because stumbling blindly through hell is a core game mechanic(and it's mechanics are ultimately fairly simple) but ruina expects you to know what you're doing somewhat

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 2, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Nea posted:

I think there's really something to the tone of Ruina. It's like, the most edge-core hyper ridiculous over the top setting where someone can kill sixty dudes and you've probably bumped into rumors of 75 serial killers all of whom are real on your block and only the wealthy and powerful can do anything at all and it's all fighting just to climb out the crab bucket, MAN, in a way that bears absolutely no resemblance to reality or like, any sort of even kind of reflection of what the actual horrors of hosed up huge companies or the like are.

I kind of love it??? It appeals to some goth 15 year old still renting out space in my head. I made the vince face when I read the line talking about how not only were guns out of favor because it's really expensive to buy ammunition, but also because it's pretty common enough to be good enough to deflect bullets. That's a trait it can be reasonably expected you might run into, not like, a thing that only the sickest people in the world can do.

there's also just something off with the mindset of every single person, which kinda drives home why Carmen started the project in the first place

also there's a pretty clear reflection with people being so distracted by just surviving that they don't even bother thinking of why things are so hosed-up(it's the rich, as always)

it's modern capitalist soceity dialed up to 11 and viewed through the lens of :catdrugs:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Theantero posted:

PM is pretty good at addressing the stuff that seems nonsensical at first later on. My own pet theory is that all the ludicrously over the top shittiness of everything has something directly to do with A Corp's Singularity.

Singluarities in general seem to be The Problem as society revolves around them but they all have some ludicrously dark twist that the owning megacorps have no interest in fixing

Hell lobcorp's was probably one of the most benign and it killed dozens of clerks daily

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the singularities weren't the problem so much as the "no interest in fixing them" part

like the megacorps are only interested in extracting profit of some kind from them so their hosed-up crippling flaws just get brushed aside once the rich can turn a profit

that's why I said it's A Capitalism Metaphor

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

lol Binah refusing to fight at all when her floor gets unlocked is amazing. She's just The Worst.

also star of the city is some ridiculous power creep

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Varinn posted:

The world being poo poo because of a secret technology making it that way would really gently caress up the world-building, imo. It's good sci-fi because you can see how all of it happens and how nobody can do anything to stop it. Everyone is being exploited by someone above them, and the way they can take the pressure off is by exploiting someone else below them. Push back, you get killed and replaced, the system adapts and survives. It's grim as poo poo, and I really like it. The conversation with Yesod where he and Roland have an argument about people being complacent about how the tech they use is built on human suffering is one of my favorite bits of Ruina so far because it hits home in a very particular way.

The plan was actually made pretty clear in LC. Deep LC spoilers: L Corp's Singularity wasn't extracting energy from Abnormalities, it was producing EGO, by way of them. At some point, you learn that the reason Random Agent #56 can suddenly duel with a sword is because EGO exists inside of all of our collective unconscious, and is a part of us. Carmen's idea was based on her belief that people were so ground down by society, they couldn't actually even allow themselves to dream of a better world. Ayin takes this idea and plans to release The Light for seven days, which would impart the ability to everyone to manifest their emotions and desires into EGO. A great equalizing effect of making us all demiurges or something. Is this what Carmen would've done? We have no idea. Probably not, because that sort of 'I'll just give everyone godlike powers and then immediately die' sounds like exactly the sort of plan a self-destructive recluse would come up with, but the ideals behind it are solid. Instead, everyone got halfway lit and, importantly, nobody was there to tell them what the gently caress just happened. Ruina gets into what that means for people.

The end of LC kicks rear end, and I just hit Star of the City in Ruina and I'm liking it just as much, if not more.

I do feel sorry for X, who is basically a person with A's memories lodged into him rather than A himself. He managed to beat the other whackjob A personas and then he got dissolved into light without any say in the matter, rip justice for clerks

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TeeQueue posted:

X is Ayin, erasing his memory and going through all of this in order to attain enlightenment.

He is very, very bad at it, which is why it takes him about 10,000 years to actually do it right.

Every X has always been Ayin erasing his memories and starting over until he completes the script he wrote-Binah actually calls him out on erasing his memories and forgetting problems being his go-to move one point in her story.

I'm aware, but the fact that the different ayins that made it to the end all went in wildly different directions means that they are, fundamentally, different people even if it's the same body

Angela even says something to that extent, that X is more like someone with A's memories than A himself.

e: of course being the player we really don't know X's motives or personality beyond "not being a total rear end in a top hat", he might've been all for how things turned out who knows

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jan 9, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TeeQueue posted:

That's... Complicated, and based on what Keter is. To copy something from a website from someone who presumably knows more than me about this stuff:

It's the will that they're trying to enact, basically. Since the tree is in reverse and the suppressions are based on the manifestation of qlipa, that means the suppressions for days 46-50 are based on the qlipa of that sephirot. That would mean it's dealing with Thaumiel- which Wiki describes as... "While Keter is concerned with the unity of God, Thaumiel represents the dual contending forces, struggling, and it is represented by two giant heads with bat-like wings."

So basically the endgame is all the different conflicting parts of Ayin's will struggling with each other in order to decide what to do with the light they've gathered-arguably inside his head or being manifested due to the completeness of the light or by making copies with records and making them nap, etc etc etc. He's basically facing his persona-type shadows and beating it in a management contest to move on.

How it works exactly is questionable, but that's sort of what's going on meaning that X, who has these thoughts somewhere within him, is on some level an rear end in a top hat.

Yeah I'm not denying that X is kind of a dick, just saying that he isn't a dick on the level of original Ayin

which was the point of all that endless amnesia time loop business, just rolling the dice until we get one that both isn't a total monster and is weirdly good at managing monsters

Didn't know that about Keter though, I'm sure this bodes extremely well for Roland

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 9, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Intoluene posted:

Man, I want to get in to Library of Ruina but I feel like I have to beat Lobotomy Corp first at least once before I do that. I'm starting to get some ALEPH ranked anomalies that I really, really can't handle if they escape. Hell, Little Red escaping on its own is enough to make me reset the day and it's only a WAW. Two brand new anomalies are just outright killing any employee that dares to work with them and Queen Bee can also get completely out of control if I'm not on the ball with a Red Bullet when work finishes with her.

I may need to call my first run at day 25 and restart from Day 1 but sooooo much progress. Ugh.

it's not ~optimal~ but Queen Bee responds really well to Insight if you need to work her without having your entire department become bees. And even though it's a pain in the rear end make sure to go into overtime to train up any new employees(though the game of course never tells you to do this)

every ALEPH is an all-or-nothing proposition, either you can handle it easily or it eats your entire facility. In 31's case it's "do you have a bunch of high prudence folks with pale/black damage weapons"

e: also yeah Red's suit is really good, that should help you get a foot in the door but 31 is absolutely going to escape very often

if you can get it's suit and ego gift you can do some hilarious things though

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 10, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Robindaybird posted:

If I pick up -31, I tend to put it in Central so it'd be super easy to deathball up all my middle-layer agents to melt it down fast when I see it's about to escape.

I had it in Extraction, i kept all my Bird Gear in there and Disciplinary anyway, and 2 justitas + twilight will kill it's first form before it even has a chance to get the ball rolling

if you don't have the gear bonus unlocked just throw in a couple black weapons for round 2 and you're set

the one problem with putting it in Central is that clearing out central is a pain in the rear end so some clerks are probably gonna die, which will piss off 2 different alephs something fierce if they're around

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TeeQueue posted:

I feel it is worth mentioning that I could literally title the LP thread Everything is A's Fault, Actually: Let's Play Library of Ruina and this would be at most a slight exaggeration.

In Ayin's defense(?) he fully admits that he was the most perfectly wrong person for the job, but welp

Acerbatus posted:

Doing the final Malkuth abnormality

One thing I like is how almost every abnormality seems to be metaphorically or literally connected to Angela/Carmen, Ayin, or the Sephirot in some way, which makes sense considering how they were pulling them out

except open can of wellcheers, maybe carmen just had a killer brewski one time

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 11, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

speaking of abnormalities the burrowing heaven rudely made me actually learn how to use block dice effectively, this is an affront to all I stand for

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

rye on white posted:

lobotomy corp lategame question i'm coming up on the last round of core suppressions, would it be a better call to take fragment to be safe, or mountain for the gear, do you guys think?

mountain's gear is INCREDIBLY useful for the endgame and is always worth a pick, but you have to be aware that mountain itself is somewhat voliatile re: employee deaths. it's easy to suppress as long as you're ready when it breaches though.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 12, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Acerbatus posted:

In LoR is there:

Any way to sort Key Pages other than by grade

Any way to just mass unequip stuff?

I am deeply afraid the final boss will need 50 librarians.

e: Did anyone else's empty bookshelf button stop working?

Do people try to keep every floor equipped or just a few at a time?

- no
- empty bookshelf is about it
- it probably will
-are you mid-mission? that's about the only time it hasn't worked for me
-having more than 2 floors battle-ready is really difficult until star of the city rank(of course that rank also loves putting you in hellish endurance tests with few available floors so welp), don't forget you can transfer the extra speed dice from unique pages you're not using anymore

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jan 12, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

In the same facility, where I gave up on like the second day with the Tiphs, I had:

oh god express train to hell, nameless fetus, and phoenix all early

you could try restarting without those because Yikes

for the record i'm also terrible at reflex-micro and got through fine, I think you just took like every trap option at once. nameless fetus and express train at least should not be in ANY facility

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I had both Burrowing Heaven and Schadenfreude in my facility at the same time and boy did that make day 49 a pain.

:same:

tbf if you trigger schadenfreude you can just look away and he can't do anything

triggering burrowing heaven means at least one guaranteed death, probably more

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 13, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Robindaybird posted:

The Train is especially nasty when you have a breach-prone abnormality such as -31.

I didn't have the same amount of trouble with the baby but I got it near end game where almost all my agents could easily handle it's work, but it's definitely a bitch if you get it early.

the baby's main problem is that a single lowroll or brainfart means that someone is going to die and it's going to cause Problems if there's any 1 QC abnormalities nearby

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TeeQueue posted:

It's got a 60% instinct rate at Instinct 5, observation bonuses of +4% each at levels 1 and 3, and if you have 136 Attachment that's another +27%

It turns out that if you boost the success rate to 95% then you will almost never have problems with baby. :v:

87% isn't that bad either when getting the bonuses initially.

therefore the answer is "touch fetus only after you get to where you can train to 130 stat."

didn't know it was quite that high, good points

I think i'm just paranoid from the time Nothing There ate one of my best agents despite 130 temperence, which only happened once in like hundreds of works mind you but it only takes one to be paranoid forever

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

LoR: any tips for Gebura's Floor Realization? The first fight is such ridiculous horseshit and of course i'm doing it after they nerfed counter dice so I can't just have geb solo the entire thing :negative:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Acerbatus posted:

So uh

If a summation mass attack hits 5 people

4 roll and they get a total of say 20, beating a 12

They still take damage if the fifth guy is stunned and doesn't roll? What?

it's poorly explained so here's a (hopefully) better one:

both types of mass attacks roll individually for every librarian

individual: rolls each attack vs each of the defending page's attacks, so you'd need 3 dice to block all 3 hits of a 3-dice mass

summation: combines every dice on the page each librarian uses, but the numbers are still per librarian. So even if someone's combined total is a 13 it's still going to hit someone else who's total is a 7

thus if none of those 4 rolls are 12 or higher then they all get hit

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 15, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Acerbatus posted:

ffs that needs to be rewritten and explains why I keep getting owned :psyduck:

Mass attacks force quick mode on so I never could get a good look at it. I turned off quick mode so I could understand how all the mechanics worked intentionally, game!

yeah I figured out how it worked via getting my rear end kicked a lot and wiki-binging, until then I was just throwing out whatever good pages I had against them in hopes that something would work

e: which works out fine riiiight up until star of the city

Reiterpallasch posted:

If you're not exploiting it yet, using the passive from (SOTC row 2) Myo's page that gives +1 bonus dice power based on how much faster you are than the dice you're clashing with turns Gebura into a monster who can actually reliably clash with the boss' cards. Also, bring either some cheap defensive cards you can use on your librarians to clash with Red's crappy dice or some ranged cards that are guaranteed to go first so the boss doesn't gain strength from winning clashes with its counter dice.

Also, the rest of the fight is a joke after you make it past phase 1. Try to push through it even if your libraries are beaten up and you have a death or two.

ah, Myo is one of my main combat keypages so I never thought of using it that way, thanks

and yeah I powered through phase 1 once but one librarian was in stagger so I couldn't stagger the wolf and welp

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 15, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Acerbatus posted:

Is there any way to repeat abnormality fights for fun?

Nope, there probably will be in the final release though since it's p. heavily requested

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

finished it, I still had to retry a bunch because lol rng but I eventually got past stage 1 without anyone staggered, then Gebura popped her Devil Trigger and streamrolled the entire fight :getin:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Acerbatus posted:

Final abno of Netzach:

Roland you didn't tell anyone about this?????

That was an unexpectedly easy fight. It's a bit, uh, pathetic? that Angela can't help but pine for Ayin after being stuck in her own personal hell for a million years, but I guess it's not her fault she was built to swoon over him.

Starting to think that A guy might be a jerk.

I don't think she was specifically programmed to love him, I'm guessing it's overlap with Carmen's memories + going insane from a million years of time fuckery

also yeah the final fights aren't usually that hard as long as you've learned how to use light regen and page draw in your decks

there's exceptions of course (gebura)

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 16, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Acerbatus posted:

LoR simultaneously makes Angela way more and way less sympathetic, since it's 100% understandable why she did what she did but you're also now killing (sometimes) decent and uninvolved people.

tbf she gets less comfortable with it as time goes on

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

SITB posted:

Ayin is also her creator who immediately spurned her, I'm pretty sure it's mostly about parental love more than anything; Benjamin trying to console Angela and helping her think that Ayin could accept her didn't help either.

Benjamin was a nice guy but was kind of a lovely friend overall

"sure he's building a robot(something he has always fiercely hated) with the shape and memory of his lost loved one while muttering insanely to himself, but i'm just glad he's keeping busy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

got to Xiao and man, where do I even start with this.

I think I got the gist of it hit inverted scale every other turn but it's still one of those bosses that just outclashes anything you do aaaaaa

guess I need to actually work on my decks for once

e: amazing battle theme though

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 16, 2021