Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

In LC you can reset days and reroll stuff/grind, in increments of days, correct? People have been saying that, especially when you're starting out, you can pick out Abnormalities that will absolutely end you if you don't know what you're doing and in some cases call for a full game reset back to Day 1. Does Library of Ruina operate similarly? I'm not too keen on the game if there is a "whelp, this 20 hour run with grinding is a wash, time to start over" thing that can happen, but I'd really like to try Ruina once the SA LP is complete. Are full resets a thing in Ruina, and for that matter are points of no return?[

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Follow up question from my earlier one, re: resetting mechanics in LC (still on the fence if I should pick it up or just follow the LP):

So there's like several resets in the game, right? I get the "Restart Day" one, it's just literally a start-of-day check-point you can return to with no permanent damage, correct? Anything carry over when you do this, or is it strictly a checkpoint mulligan on the day's events?

Then there's "Reset to the last 5 Day Increment" and "Reset to Day 1". My understanding is that you keep unlocks (gear, intel, event clears) but how does it work re: your employees? If I trigger it mid-way in a day and there's some deaths, do these carry over? And do you keep leveled employees on the Day 1 reset too?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Ahh I see, so all three resets clear the day's successes/failings, and the "Reset to 1", "Reset by/to 5" ones essentially checkpoint your employees stats at those points but still allow progress (unlocks, intel, gear) to carry over. Am I understanding that right?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

lets hang out posted:

Maybe think of it this way, although it might not help: the 5 day memory repository only saves your employees' states. Specifically whether they're alive or dead, their stats, titles, and EGO gifts.

When you press the "Return to memory repository" button it saves all of your abnormality observations, EGO gear, completed missions, and research unlocked at that moment, and you carry all of that back to the repository day where your employees' saved state is waiting. Pretty sure you need to actually complete the day for any missions in progress to be considered cleared.

Returning to day 1 works the same way, except you'll be back to just a single randomly generated employee.

Tenebrais posted:

Reset to Repository (the 5-day one) does keep the intel and gear you've unlocked. However your employees will be reset to the condition the state they were on that day. If they were wearing EGO gear that you lost between the checkpoint and reset, they'll lose it, since your EGO gear getting saved goes both ways.

Cool, thanks!

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Not having played Ruina myself I went to look a the patchnotes and if I understand right one of the changed things was you needed to grind less?

The changes sounded neat, might have been easier to get people to acclimatize to an overhaul if they'd use the beta-branch system on steam.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Still fairly early on in LoR, wanted to ask about game-flow; I've noticed that a lot of fights seem to return a single book (plus some extra less-relevant/for gear only books) that is then the pass to the next tier. This means that I feel like if I want to do, say, a fight 5 layers in a bunch I have to do every precursor fight as many times too.

So my question is: Does the game eventually give you a means to multiply books earned that are also used to progress, or is it hard coded so some tiers drops multiples and some tiers drop a single one and you have to just put up with the entire daisy-chain of singles for every entry further in you want to repeat?

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 1, 2020

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

stupid LoR "lore" question, idk if it needs to be spoiler'd but: Why don't more people just run away? It seems like it's an option even if nobody really talks about it and it got me wondering because I'm at the Plague tier and there's been at least a couple of groups I could see really not having a reason to fight to the death, or in one case (the gun squad that used the invitation to avoid getting merk'd by the blue scythe guy) not really having a hugely compelling reason to try AND a massive premonition of how risky even trying would be. I get that the setting revolves around an ultra-violent status-quo and pretty much every person that gets book'd knew pretty much nothing but violence their whole lives, but it seems a little off to me. I realize I'm treading on "yelling at character in horror movie to just leave the haunted house" territory here, but since the game establishes that it's an option idk, it kinda bugs me a little.

Similarly, another lore question: Is it ever implied that people can be restored from being book'd? It feels to me like a few follow-up encounters have characters wanting to retrieve their friends'/colleagues'/love-intrests' books for more than just sentimental reasons but is that really it, they just want them back just insomuch as not wanting the Library to have them, not because they can do anything about the whole death-into-book thing?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Ahh that's really cool then, will keep at it.

Wanted to also ask, how important is it to keep multiple floors battle ready and updated? So far it feels like I can handle everything with a single floor and the best Key Pages + decks I have. I suspect later on you'll want multiples?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Is it possible to scale the UI/text in LoR because HOLY poo poo I'm getting some major eye strain.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

LoR Pinocchio fight question: What constitutes a "lie"? I've compared the cards being played on the lie turn to the actual cards my librarians have and they're identical. What's the tell? Or is it just a pure 50% guess?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Finished all currently available content in LoR, bar some grinding for a few key pages I've missed. What a great game.

Some mechanics questions:

1)Der Freischütz's E.G.O. is a placeholder card, yes?

2)The generic Librarian cards are all blank, except for Gebura's, which seems to have a bunch of hidden/locked/greyed-out passives. Another placeholder for a future update where dept. head Key Pages are actually a special option?

3)Yujin 's Key Page has a bunch of positive/negative traits (like all of Shi), is there any way to deal with the negatives (like the "This card has 3 Speed die, but one is always locked" one) or is that just the Shi Association gimmick through and through? Like, is there any way to get any extra use out of the -2Str/+3Str passive?

e.: earlier in the thread I asked a couple of lore questions and was told I'd find out the answers during gameplay. I'm don't think either of my questions was really answered (unless the answer is in the fluff part of a Key page, which I might have overlooked) so I'll just quote the post:

KazigluBey posted:

stupid LoR "lore" question, idk if it needs to be spoiler'd but: Why don't more people just run away? It seems like it's an option even if nobody really talks about it and it got me wondering because I'm at the Plague tier and there's been at least a couple of groups I could see really not having a reason to fight to the death, or in one case (the gun squad that used the invitation to avoid getting merk'd by the blue scythe guy) not really having a hugely compelling reason to try AND a massive premonition of how risky even trying would be. I get that the setting revolves around an ultra-violent status-quo and pretty much every person that gets book'd knew pretty much nothing but violence their whole lives, but it seems a little off to me. I realize I'm treading on "yelling at character in horror movie to just leave the haunted house" territory here, but since the game establishes that it's an option idk, it kinda bugs me a little.

Similarly, another lore question: Is it ever implied that people can be restored from being book'd? It feels to me like a few follow-up encounters have characters wanting to retrieve their friends'/colleagues'/love-intrests' books for more than just sentimental reasons but is that really it, they just want them back just insomuch as not wanting the Library to have them, not because they can do anything about the whole death-into-book thing?

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 26, 2020

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

the new LoR boss is really cool, but gently caress that one note tone during the conductor sections, straight out of a volume-blowout trolling video. had to pull my headphones off twice, which is extra uncool when the new song playing is so rad...

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

From the LoR Patchnotes today:

quote:

Adjusted the volume of certain sound effects of The Silent Orchestra.

Thanks, I guess I wasn't the only person who frantically tore off their headphones when that happened not once but twice during the fight. I get it's a reference to the same thing in LobCorp but geeze, it was strong enough to count as one of those trolling videos where the sound volume spikes a single tone tune in just the right way to cause physical pain, especially if you're using headphones.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Yo if they kneecap the Keypage they added in the last update I'll be so mad. So what if it's probably impossible to balance around, this is the coolest poo poo ever and the game having an easy mode option that's literally cannonical is rad as gently caress.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

PM unintentionally (???) writing some great critique-of Anarcho-Capitalism in their 'verse.

No Gods, No Kings, only horrific service to the local McSingularity™ and/or whatever local warlord who makes the rules in your particular neighborhood.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Excited for this ongoing PM Cinematic Universe type situation, hope they keep finding success with their games.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

KazigluBey posted:

Yo if they kneecap the Keypage they added in the last update I'll be so mad. So what if it's probably impossible to balance around, this is the coolest poo poo ever and the game having an easy mode option that's literally cannonical is rad as gently caress.

Whelp, it happened. Not a direct nerf but in some ways arguably worse, since it impacts a bunch of other keys and cards. Unless I'm missing something there's no way the change in today's small patch isn't linked to the Keypage they added when I made the above post...

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

(dumb) thoughts/questions about LC/LoR (spoilers for both, seriously):

Am I completely off base in feeling like the setting PM made functions quite well as a (probably unintentional) critique of Anarcho-Capitalism but simultaneously it's like the theme in a lot of beats is "- and the answer is egoist anarchism instead"? What I mean by the dumb way I'm phrasing this is, you seem to get a lot of moments in (primarily) LoR and LC where "caring about others rather than caring for yourself" is unambiguously framed in a negative light; Philip seems like a good example in LoR, we just had the following line in the LP "The only problem was that Carmen was too wrapped up with taking care of others.", later on in LoR it's revealed that Carmen's plan was literally that exaggerated parody political cartoon where a polite society can only be formed if we arm every individual with their own suitcase nuke - in other words, the way to fix the crapstack individualist world Carmen lived in, in her mind, was by making everyone even more individualistic and capable of fighting back, rather than any sort of collective solution or systemic change, etc... I'm pretty sure I've forgotten a few examples too, LoR felt like every time anyone mentions caring about others it's always framed as a bad call and that they should have cared about themselves first and foremost? Hell isn't that literally Kali's backstory in LoR, with how the people she was guarding in her neighborhood turned on her?

idk, maybe this is all a misread and I'll be honest it doesn't bother me TOO much, the setting is really unique and I super dig they're making more, it's just a weird thematic thing I feel suffuses the setting.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Thing is, it seems such a consistent beat that to me it feels like it transcends the text and becomes subtext; even if everyone who has that pov has legitimate reasons to feel that way or are super traumatized or whatever (and I don't think they all do, Kali caring about her neighbors seemed selfless, for example) if it's a consistent thing across lots of characters it, uhhh, starts to read a little differently to me. idk

From your post idk how up to date you are on LoR stuff so if you want to see stuff yourself please skip my reply here:
I'm pretty sure it's been explicitly laid out in a convo with Angela in the last maybe two or three LoR updates that Carmen did, in fact, just want to arm everyone with E.G.O. so they could just, idk, live out a literal No Gods No Kings No Masters scenario.

I'm... Hrm I'm really not sure about that read on Philip though ofc I'll be more than happy to accept it when we hit the relevant points in the LP and a lot of people echo it, but my point was to use him as another example of "caring for others" being framed negatively, which even if he was doing stuff out of a kind of selfish cowardice still tracks with what I'm saying. I'd not really treat anything Oswald does or says as evidence tho, he does NOT seem like a reliable source especially given that he probably wanted to distort or twist Philip when they first encounter one another.

Much like with my reply to Theantero I'm not sure you're up to date with LoR, which is why I flagged my original post as both, so please take care here;
I'm pretty sure it's been explicitly laid out in a convo with Angela in the last maybe two or three LoR updates that Carmen did, in fact, just want to arm everyone with E.G.O. so they could just, idk, live out a literal No Gods No Kings No Masters scenario.

As for the rest I can kinda' see what you (and lets hang out) are saying, but I feel like I could have sworn that the individualistic beat I alluded to is something that comes up fairly consistently across the games, LoR in particular. I'll try to keep better track of instances of it when the LP ticks over to that game, again, I could be way off base.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

idk, I've not felt anything hit quite like And Is Heard No More, I think the other boss songs are all neat but there's just something missing in all of them that's there in that song.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Since I can post this here under spoilers rather than in the LP, re: the setting being anarcho-capitalist (minor Library spoilers): The City is dominated by 26 mega-corps. The Head is the leader of A Corp, the biggest and strongest of them, with the added bonus of B and C Corps being functionally subsidiaries of A Corp. Each Wing is more or less self-sufficient and self-governing, barring a need to access a hyper-specialization that other Wings provide more easily that the Wing can provide on its own.

Like, A Corp isn't a government, none of the wings are governments outside of their own internal structures. A Corp just happens to be the biggest and gets to impose a small set of universal rules, but each Wing has its own rules and they even go to war with one another. Nothing is centralized, as far as I can tell, each Wing sets its own laws, polices its own workers/citizens, funds a variety of military apparatuses with overlap into policing/army functions, etc... Since, again, every Wing is a mega-corp, I'd say this very cleanly fits the bill of anarcho-capitalism. I have no idea where the "monopoly on violence" thing came from, as an extrapolation from the rule on firearms? The Wings have militaries, if not directly than through proxy organizations that are a hybrid private-policy/military orgs. As previously stated, there's like an ongoing war between two of the Wings we never even see directly, beyond the stuff we DO see.

Like, imagine if America didn't have a government and instead the top 26 corporations carved up the territory of the country. The biggest, lets call it A(mazon) Corp, got to flex its position to set a very small set of rules, but otherwise did not really interfere with the others. They all provided the bare minimum needed to keep their workforces alive, with better perks and services available to the middle/upper tier workers. Some services were provided by a given corporation to all the others, simply because they did it best (A Corp got to deliver everyone's useless plastic tat purchased online, in this example). So lets say you work for M(c Donalds) Corp. You wake up in your McBed to the sound of the McRadio playing the latest corporate jingle as the McNews starts up. You hear productivity is up 11% in the hamburger-grilling divisions, and optional overtime is being called for in the drive-in division. You're happy to have landed a spot in the exclusive McTower protected by the local McGuard private security detail you pay a small premium for. It's much safer than living on the McOutskirts, where hungry gangs of (literally) greased up punks roam and the occasional incursion from gangs hailing from the neighboring Microsoft District ignite bloody street-wars over second-hand electronics and day-old fast-food leftovers. Better hurry to your post for the day's work, if you're late more than a couple of times you could be demoted and lose your home, and have to return to the McOutskirts.

Congratulations, you're living in a anarcho-capitalist dystopia functionally identical to the one Project Moon created. The only thing missing is magic and getting the USA to care more about melee weapons than guns.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 6, 2021

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Reiterpallasch posted:

It's not just a matter of biggest fish though? A Corp is the only Wing which asserts the ability to regulate the internal affairs of the other Wings, and what it does is set the rules of the game. The other Wings are only allowed to interact with each other within the bounds the Head has set, i.e the whole Cane Office deal on how Singularity patent wars occur under the Head's auspices. It's fair to say that the Head isn't, like, a good or competent state, but it's hard to look at it and decide that it isn't a state at all. Certainly the Holy Roman Empire was a state, despite the fact that its constituent parts could and did go to war with each other all the goddamn time.

A Corp set like, half a dozen rules (a dozen tops?), but otherwise each corp is self-governing. A Corp / The Head isn't governing the other corps, it just told them where a few lines were that would invite retaliation, and even then the Guns rule is more of a vague guide-line than anything else (and the clones one has a loop-hole large enough to drive R Corp through it). The only rule we've seen A Corp take VERY seriously is the AI one. That's it. Heck the patent stuff just seems like the bare minimum to prevent all-out warfare, and even then the events of LoR show that the Wing are HUNGRY to bypass this restriction and get at each other's Singularities. A Corp is currently tolerating a straight up war between two of the Wings that LoR doesn't even zoom in on, and it'd be an easy bet to guess what THAT'S about, so even the patent stuff is a bit unevenly enforced. Basically just don't piss off A Corp, and govern yourselves.

It's super easy to see this as a grouping of corporations with private military/security where the biggest one gets to throw its weight around but otherwise isn't telling or governing any of the others. Outside of, maybe, B and C corp. Like, does anarcho-capitalism stop if one corp gets a little bigger than the rest and has a shinier private military and tells the rest they have to do a small dozen or so things to stay alive but otherwise business as usual?

Reiterpallasch posted:

im also not super comfortable with reading the project moon cinematic universe as a grand critique of anarcho-capitalism, considering that the only people who are actually trying to bring the system crashing down are awful, awful people

I used to post about how I thought it was critique, but honestly I think they just ended up with an anarcho-capitalist dystopia because that's what they thought was cool (even without thinking in ideological terms) and it just happens to be that the people we see most gung-ho about tearing it down are really, really lovely. Oops. I think it's unintentional, at any rate. Like looking at Blade Runner and just thinking the setting is neat rather than sitting down for a deep dissection of what it's like to live there.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

We've not seen any evidence of services and aspects of governance being centralized, quite the opposite, everything we've seen points to Wings self-governing, self-policing, etc... The most common cross-Wing interactions we've seen don't come from A Corp, but from other corps providing a hyper-specialized service by way of their Singularities. Like, what aspect of governance is A Corp providing in the context of the setting? Like, everything you're saying reads to me as anarcho-capitalist. Again, at what point in a mega-corp-centered anarcho-capitalist dystopia do you cross over into something else entirely just because the biggest corp gets to fiddle around a bit in the other's business? Anarcho-capitalism is functionally gang-rule, does it stop being anarcho-capitalism just because the biggest gang has influence over the others?

Also monopoly on violence is a somewhat specific term and if you're using it here, well, it doesn't track. This is specifically one of the reasons why I'm so confident in reading the setting as ancap, because outside the small handful of rules considered universal each Wing (and perhaps most graphically in LoR, each Finger) sets its own set of laws which it then enforces with it's own private security/military, and enforcement of the Wing-specific laws is far more of a daily affiair for the security forces than A Corp's guidelines.

To go back to my IRL example, if A(mazon) Corp tells every other USA Mega to prevent proliferation of online sales platforms in their territories on pain of war they can't win, but otherwise M(c Donalds) Corp is free to set its own laws and enforce those laws with its own private forces as it sees fit not only doesn't A Corp have a monopoly on violence but it also doesn't constitute anything approaching a government to the other megas.

e.: Though, I'll cop to one thing, I can picture an-capism being compatible with the idea of a government if the government happens to also be a corporation, which is I guess another way you can read the setting as presented? Like, even if A Corp is what passes for a government, it still is, you know, one of the corporations? Like, what would you describe it as if a setting is sold to you as "bunch of mega-corps, one is bigger than the rest, kinda' fills a ruling role over the rest but generally just leaves them be"? I think "an-cap" still springs to mind.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 6, 2021

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

TeeQueue posted:

Isn’t that basically a description of cyberpunk?

I mean... It can be? Cyberpunk is more of an aesthetic than a concrete rules-laid-out dystopia, pretty sure there's plenty of Cyberpunk settings where Big Corps are just as prominent as Big Government.

e.: Replied before you quoted. Good question, and I could see how the word would spring to mind. Again, some settings that fall under the description of cyberpunk are functionally an-cap dystopias, others less so. The role of the corp is front and center either way.

e2.: Take the setting to Cyberpunk 2077. The US Government is functionally a thin legitimizing shroud for corpro interests and the acting president in 2077 used to be the CEO of one of them. It's still a functioning government with all three branches more or less intact, but for all intents and purposes the setting is an an-cap dystopia. The government chugs along but corpro interests rule. If the Project Moon setting goes even further and just straight up calls the closest thing to a government a corporation, then what does that make the system in question? I'd say an-cap.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 6, 2021

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Theantero posted:

but if we understand government in the broadest terms as a central authority that makes rulings and decrees its subjects must follow and oversees and enforces those decrees, then I would definitely classify the Head as such. Just because the factions within the City are allowed to duke it out amongst each other does not make the system anarchistic, because they are still ultimately only doing it under the allowance of the Head.

But that's the rub, outside of a few very restricted areas A Corp isn't a centralizing entity in the city. Much of what falls under the purview of government is delegated to the other corporations, especially in the sphere of violence. Though a lack of monopolization on violence the system balkanizes; A Corp sets a few broad rules but actual laws are the domain of the each Wing/Finger's particular disposition, as is enforcement. This results in functional warlordism, which is further fragmented downward as you get away from A Corp's sphere of interest, and the further still when you're not directly a part of a Wing. Private militias and gangs enforce arbitrary rules at the lowest level (where there virtually NO rule of law), then you get to the Wing/Finger level and you're primarily dealing with their laws and peculiarities, and then only when you're part of the elite of a Wing or Finger do you really care what the Head says or wants, mostly because the Head's diktats aren't something the average City dweller can even really go against as a result of lack of means. I get where you're coming from but I'm still not convinced that the very limited things that A Corp does substitutes it for a government. In the kind of comical extreme form of an-capism where corps are the end all be all I still feel like if one is the biggest and gets to set a few rules but otherwise leaves the rest alone (especially in the sphere of violence) you're still dealing with an an-cap dystopia, it hasn't becomes some other form of rule. The fact that there's low-intensity conflict that blows up into small-grade war from time to time due to the absence of restrictions on violence seems to me to be a very anarchic, as well.

I'll tell you what, I'm VERY interested in seeing what ends up being canonical once the next games release. Which one did they say was next, the "Explore Lob Corp fallen branches" dungeon crawler or the "manage a city district" city sim? I'm pretty sure we'll get a much better idea of how the city functions from those two, especially the management one.

Good chat, I agree. I still don't see eye to eye with you on this but I can deffo get the reading you're working off of and how you got to it.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Pagelock is back in today's patch but with a twist: Pages unlock once you clear all three encounters in a tier (lower middle and upper). Plus, unique stuff now drops from every encounter at a one-off 100% chance!

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

As much as I can appreciate that LC also did bad ends you could see if you were willing to repeat content I'm not too sure I like the prospect of doing that fight TWO MORE TIMES just to see bad ends. Oh well, it's what YouTube is for.

Also, ALL the book'd people get unbooked? Putting aside the whole "only very few of them are truly innocent" the OTHER end of the spectrum is more interesting to me: some genuine monsters and oppressors have been book'd, and are getting released back into the City. Seems like at least a little oops to me, hahaha.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I am really happy with how it ends, and the fact that it's really a single big story told across multiple games. I'd be even willing to bet, although I am not certain, that we won't see the complete end even in the next two games that have been announced. And honestly, I dig this, LoR and LC were cool in their own right and the fact that PM are building up their setting's mythos and massive stable of characters is awesome.

God, what a great series.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

wew, ending is sufficiently divisive that it's actually had a tangible impact on the overall/recent review score on Steam

Overall dropped to 85%, Recent down to 71% at the time of me posting this. I'm sure it'll recover, especially when it exits EA and has fresh people playing it for the first time, but it's always interesting to me to see how wildly people respond to things sometimes.

I wounder if people's negative opinions of LoR will turn around when, a few years down the line, the threads that started here and in LC get eventually resolved. I think a lot of the negativity is from as someone put it in the thread, this being a vaguely Empire Strikes Back -ish installment, somewhere in the middle of the narrative, and crucially many people didn't and still don't know this. Sure it satisfyingly arcs both Roland and Angela, but I think many people were hyped for this to end with a take-down of the Head & Co. and didn't realize it was a far more zoomed in personal experience for the two protagonists instead.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

TeeQueue posted:

this.

That said most of the review bombs are coming from China? Did they do something in the ending they'd find deeply offensive or something???

Lets fire up the ol' Google Translate, with all the usual caveats

quote:

中文变成口口口了,而且选不到

"Chinese has become verbal, and I can’t choose"

This is the only one that I've put through GT that has a specific different grievance, the vast VAST majority are "did not like the ending / was unfinished". A few were unhappy about overall difficulty/balancing.

Also, this absolute pearl from GoogleTranslate:

quote:

"Library of Ruins" is like a two-dimensional girl. Below the bridge of the nose is a black silk long-legged cat maid, and above the bridge of the nose is Nyarlatotepu.
The moon is capable of drawing a maid, and the plot performance and gameplay in the library so far are very good. Everyone thinks that as long as the moon paints the maid, everyone is satisfied. After all, there is only half of his head left, and it doesn't matter if it is left.
But the moon is not. why? Because Moon wanted to make a sequel, because the maid couldn’t take risks, but he wanted to draw Nyara Totip’s adventure story, so Moon made such an ending, drew such a head, and turned the whole character into Nyara. Totip, the maid cat maid's lower body are all abolished.
If there is a sequel, I will still play it, but let me evaluate the "Ruins Library", that is four words:
I'm an idiot

e.: So to answer your question, I couldn't find any specific mention of a particular grievance like what happened with that Taiwanese game that got pulled from Steam a few months back. It legit seems Chinese players/reviewers in particular did not like the ending.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I agree, but I think the fact that I already knew there'd be more and that it was likely the status quo in The City wouldn't be disrupted TOO much tempered my expectation a fair bit, between the sequel(s) announcement, their description and the overall feeling of the game by the time the Reverberation Ensemble kicked the doors down there wouldn't really be enough time to satisfactorily present the Head/Eye/Claws the way the Ensemble had been all game long.

Now that I think about it, someone coming in NOW with the full game playable from start to finish will probably find the ending even more polorizing, if they aren't primed for the fact that yes, there's more to come.

e.: Recent Reviews have dipped below 70% and are now "Mixed", overall 86%. Man this is a little bit of a bummer, I get people's issues with it but it's not worthy of the hit, imo, I hope PM don't take the wrong impressions from it 'cause outright sucking it does not.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 17, 2021

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

TeeQueue posted:

I sure can't wait to get to this point in the next LP thread. :shepface:

Look on the bright side, by the time you do the next game will probably be in Early Access and you'll already have had to ask mods to issue probations due to spoilers getting posted.

The cycle continues. :v:

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Whelp, PM have made a statement and apologized for the ending. I don't really think there's anything to apologize for, and I've heard from one streamer that PM was getting death threats. Just another normal day...

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1256670/discussions/0/5624408883140581584/

Obviously don't click on the link if you care about being spoiled wrt the ending.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

(I am a little unclear about spoiler policies ITT, btw, now that we have reached the point that we've reached in the series.)

I am 100% certain that it just means we won't be playing directly as them and their PoV, but they will absolutely be showing up. Almost like the difference between Angela/Ronald and the rest of the Sephirotim in LoR; they were there but the story wasn't theirs, it was Ronald/Angela's. Which is fine to me, because while their role in the larger narrative is clearly not done their own personal arcs more or less are. So they'll probably show up and support/impact the narrative of new protagonists the same way the Sephirotim do in LoR.

Also with the entire district yeet'd it pretty much perfectly sets up the district management game, since an entire district is now just empty space. I'll be really surprised if that's not the set-up for it, the same way the collapsed LobCorp branches were setup for the dungeon-crawler.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

WonderLab has concluded. I'd be both really OK with the Dungeon Crawl game picking up threads it sets up as well as this being it and the game its own thing. Legit kinda feels like we'll see a continuation of Catt's story in that game, though!

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I'm honestly a little confused by events since the LoR ending update, was today's patch's content always on the cards or is it specifically damage control over the bizarre freak-out (some, loud) people had? I ask because I now seem to remember them saying the final "missing" realization for Keter was the content we got in the ending patch.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Mersenne posted:

Nah, considering where it fits chronologically, and the fact it fills in one of the biggest narrative holes in the endgame, I'm pretty sure this update was always planned. If anything, I feel like they wanted to save this for the final release where they officially leave early access, but the feedback from last update ended up forcing their hand.

idk, their official line when the first ending dropped was that the fight with the Black Silence WAS the Keter Realization, and it was looking like Keter was just not going to have EGO/Final Abno pages as a result. which was fine but was also something the people involved in the review bombing kept bringing up. Maybe the original plan WAS to push this content out to a DLC + some extra end-game-ish side-content in order to justify it, because as it stands right now it's not like you have any real use for the Abno pages + EGO after getting them.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Whoa, and I was really hoping to see his reactions. Kaskozhuk has had a pretty great run of LoR and had consistently fast post-update streams that often ran into pre-nerf/change/fix encounters, which could be very interesting to see as a result. Missed his stream by like a half hour and was in the process of watching the VOD when he pulled it and Twitch glitched the cache'd version for me. Would have loved to hear his takes on why this was such a miss for him...

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Some people aren't getting unbook'd, or are getting unbook'd in a bad state tho, no? The Reverb gang are basically back during the final fight so there's no extra return for them, no? They're dead-dead. Meanwhile Yan for example got book'd after distorting and the way I see it people get returned more or less in the state they were book'd. Similarly there's going to be a moment where Tommery+Love Town peeps get released, a moment where the Puppets get released (which may or may not do anything, since the Puppetmaster is gone), Emma & Noah were distorted before being book'd, etc... A handful of releases are going to be bad news for the city and/or not necessarily a full reset for the people in question,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I'm confused, tweet said final release was in a while, text at the top of today's update made it sound like it was the final patch. Which is it? I guess it's just the last meaty patch and everything from here until the official release are tweaks?