Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
In the LP thread it's stated that shields soak a total of 50, but in the wiki it says they soak 100.

Now, I believe in Tee, but where is this info actually from? If there's some source, I'd like it because I have to defend my INTERNET HONOR elsewhere :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Good enough for me, thanks for answering!

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Speaking of the sequel.

I'll be super mad if One Sin doesn't make its rightful appearance.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

I wonder if Ruina will further elaborate on that plot element, taken it was always a bit unclear how things went down with him.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

It's actually because due to T-singularity shenanigans, all Hokma timelines and theories are true.

Floor of Religion will end with a Crisis of Infinite Hokmas.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The more we learn about PM-verse, the more obvious it becomes that everything bad traces back to T-corp.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

I'm into it.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

lf only you could talk to these Abnormalities, then perhaps you could try and make friends with them, form alliances... Now, that would be interesting.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Well, here are my own Dumb Thoughts in response.

Despite Carmen being so self-sacrificing that she neglected her own mental health to the point of suicide, her caring about other people is framed as a very good thing, to the point that her attempt at bringing hope to a hopeless world is a central theme of the whole plotline, so I wouldn't really take a 'caring about others is bad' message home from it. Her and Ayin's means at bringing it about though, what with letting 'everybody manifest their potential' aka. the Personal Nuclear Armaments Scenario, and the actual importance of the Light, has been somewhat questioned by the central cast already, which makes me think the implications of their end goal will get more focus when we get to the finale. As per the specific characters who've been owned due to being nice, it's usually made as a means to show how crapsack the City is in its current state (as in, something that ought to be changed, rather than something that is Just The Way Things Naturally Are), and to give the characters who've been made cynical by personal trauma a chance to wax poetic about how bad everything is, which doesn't really read as an affirmation of the viewpoint, to me.

Also, I would not characterize Philip as somebody nice, as much as a coward that hides behind meekness to wallow in self-pity. His whole issue is not asserting himself and then making up all these elaborate fantasies in which he is the victim of other people's disregard, which is how Oswald gets to him.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 29, 2020

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

PM is great, but could really do with a couple lessons in tutorial design, yeah.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

PM is pretty good at addressing the stuff that seems nonsensical at first later on. My own pet theory is that all the ludicrously over the top shittiness of everything has something directly to do with A Corp's Singularity.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

So uh, Full Stop and Dawn Office are pretty big spikes in difficulty, huh?

Yeah, Urban Plague is right about where you need to start actually caring about making decent key pages and decks. Before that point you can just kinda coast with whatever.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Everything is poo poo in such a particular way, with there being neither history nor a future for anybody in the City, and the whole world basically being stuck in an ever-perpetuating limbo of badness like it's in some sort of conceptual stasis, that I would be surprised if it's not somehow deliberately engineered by the Head, yeah. Basically, I suspect that their Singularity is something that lets them impart their authority over the City, but requires that they keep things bad specifically in the way that they are bad right now, rather than some other flavor of bad.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

That actually does get mentioned and explained during a cutscene on the Floor of Language, even if they don't go super in-depth on it.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

I probably just phrased myself poorly, in that I don't mean to imply that things are only bad because of a Singularity or whatever. It's more that the tone of the absoluteness of the Status Quo is so particularly fantastical that I doubt it's not to some degree purposefully engineered. Now obviously, every ruling entity seeks to perpetuate its power in some way, but it feels like there is going to be some Tweest™ with how A Corp runs things.

Hell, if we go by precedent, it's probably going to be loving T Corp again :v:

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

I honestly cannot foresee it going down any other way :v:

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

I love all the Mili pieces, but I think Iron Lotus is my favorite. String Theocracy is probably my least favorite overall, even though I like it as well.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

I never found Red as difficult as people claim her to be, after I grokked that the way to go is to just straight up not attack with most of your dice and only redirect attacks away from Red, unless she's slapped the 5 Disarm debuff on the wolf in which case you're free to go to town.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Lakbay posted:

(Star of the City is unfinished and missing voice acting correct?)

Star of the City actually got finished a couple weeks back and got its voice acting. The chapter after SotC is currently at its first two story receptions.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Reiterpallasch posted:

already nerfed.

The COWARDS

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

MinutePirateBug posted:

Why am I subjecting myself to this game? Do I hate myself?

Because it's good. Granted, it's especially good if you also hate yourself, but I digress :v:

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Reiterpallasch posted:

It's not just a matter of biggest fish though? A Corp is the only Wing which asserts the ability to regulate the internal affairs of the other Wings, and what it does is set the rules of the game. The other Wings are only allowed to interact with each other within the bounds the Head has set, i.e the whole Cane Office deal on how Singularity patent wars occur under the Head's auspices. It's fair to say that the Head isn't, like, a good or competent state, but it's hard to look at it and decide that it isn't a state at all. Certainly the Holy Roman Empire was a state, despite the fact that its constituent parts could and did go to war with each other all the goddamn time.

Basically this. In one of the post-abno battle scenes, Binah asks Roland if he is wondering why there is such an utter lack of actual sensible governance under their otherwise cruel reign. The Head has a bunch of rules, and oversees them absolutely, and nobody is allowed to go against what they say on threat of destruction or exile into the Outskirts. Sure, the Wings and Syndicates war with each other, but this is only because the Head makes allowance for it. The rules are strange from our point of view, extremely lax on some parts but weirdly specific on others, but they are still rules written and enforced by an autocratic authority which no other power has the means to defy (which I feel is what is meant by the Head having a 'monopoly on violence'). It's an alien sort of government, and a very hand-off one, but it is definitely there, enforcing the order everybody else has to play by.

In a slightly more conceptual sense, the very fact that A Corp designates and then deals with 'Impurities' of the City makes them the government, since they alone get to decide what is and is not acceptable for the Status Quo.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 6, 2021

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

I feel the main crux of our disagreement comes from our different readings of A Corp's influence and reach. I would argue that A Corp goes far beyond of merely meddling in the business of other Wings. It sets the boundaries that everybody must follow, handles patents and minting and (as I recall, might be wrong on this last one) designates Wings in the first place, basically giving them control of the driving forces of the City. If Wings and Syndicates disagree within the boundaries A Corp sets, they have a war. If they break those boundaries, they will be erased. Asking if the governing body being structured like a corporation makes the setting ancap is a fair point in a way (and helps to point out why anarcho-capitalism is in no way actual anarchism), but if we understand government in the broadest terms as a central authority that makes rulings and decrees its subjects must follow and oversees and enforces those decrees, then I would definitely classify the Head as such. Just because the factions within the City are allowed to duke it out amongst each other does not make the system anarchistic, because they are still ultimately only doing it under the allowance of the Head.

Anyways, good chat, I legit love these sorts of arguments as a rhetorical exercise. Alas, sleep calls, so no further responses from me for a while :v:

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

KazigluBey posted:

I'll tell you what, I'm VERY interested in seeing what ends up being canonical once the next games release. Which one did they say was next, the "Explore Lob Corp fallen branches" dungeon crawler or the "manage a city district" city sim? I'm pretty sure we'll get a much better idea of how the city functions from those two, especially the management one.

I believe it was the L-Branch Dungeon Crawler that was stated to be the next release, though I might be wrong.

But yes, I agree that it is probably best to shelve this discussion until more Canon becomes available, since I doubt we'll be getting much further than this without repeating ourselves. I still disagree, but it's not like I think your reading is badly reasoned either, based on what we know at the moment.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Alectai posted:

A single Arbiter brought down L-Corporation's main branch.

Binah's assault was before LobCorp was even a thing, when the gang was still chillin' in that Outskirts Lab. LobCorp was founded after A probed her brain for ways to continue his project without tipping off the Head. The whole corporation is basically cover to get away with his doomsday plot in plain sight.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

It's quite clearly hands, though the thought of Binah just casually wearing some ridiculous get-up of a long button down dress except with inexplicable hip cutouts is pretty funny :v:

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

drat, there's more

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

I would assume that the final story update concerns the Head, because it makes narrative sense sure, but also because we have not actually seen Jenna, Bharal and Luda yet (the people talking in the SotC intro sequence that are marked as ??? in the game proper, but were still named in the reveal trailer), and just the way those three talk marks them as almost certainly Head employees. So in a purely meta sense, I would be surprised if they make no further appearance.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

I would assume that there is nothing usual about the Head.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Alectai posted:

Because the star character of Ruina Is The City and what it turns people into, and if that isn't addressed in the final act, the story is ultimately incomplete. You can choose to not engage with its systems, but that doesn't mean it'll just let you walk away, you know?

Oh, definitely. It's even literally stated in LobCorp that the story of the City can never reach its close as long as the Head, the Eye and the Claw (or in other words, the protectors of the status quo) stand.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

I'm pretty sure fighting the same people repeatedly is a gameplay conceit, not a story one, unless I missed something

Just like in LobCorp, where a variety of things usually considered gameplay conceits turned out to have in universe explanations and even significant story relevance, so does the fight repetition in Ruina.

It is explained in the story segment after Blue Star that all the guests are immediately quantized and copied when they enter the Library, and that the Library itself is akin to a virtual battle simulator. As in, none of the people who enter are actually dead but rather in some weird-rear end Limbo, and we keep making Light-copies of them to extract their books. This explains why we can fight the same people multiple times and why it doesn't really matter even if we lose. It also means that the whole 'fair deal' the Invitation claims to offer is a load of bullshit.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

I think creating a person like that is meaningful effort, with the cutscene for the Red Mist fight and all. It also does go against the 'fair fight' conceit which Angela seems to hold as being important. Lastly, she DID try to convince Lowell to just leave without trying to fight to take anything, which would be at odds with all that. I'd have to check to see if Angela was aware people don't die-die before Hokma mentions it, though.

MotU posted:

Then how did Philip run away and the device Oscar put on him to teleport out work? Why is Angela surprised when Hokma tells her that people aren't dead? Why is it such a huge deal when Angela creates the Red Mist, since before then only people physically in the Library could be fought? There are a ton of plot holes to this theory that she was aware of it all along

MinutePirateBug posted:

What I don't understand is given that, how do people manage to run away again and again. Like are people actually able to leave any time they want if they desire that? I mean are they basically feeding themselves to a meat grinder and at any point while being ground up, they can just go "I really don't want this" and go home. But, they persist because they are crazy deluded people hopped up on light.

The people that run away are all people that just bring more people to the Library, in the end. They leave because the Library allows, and indeed means for them to leave. Recall that the Invitation (sent by Carmen, as per the Hokma realization) is given only to people that are 'destined' to come, so the people that leave are no more than people who are coming just to be allowed to leave. Keikaku doori and all that.

Also, the fact that we do the very same thing with the Red Mist just reinforces the fact that we do the same thing with everybody who comes to the Library (which is not really up to debate, since it is directly stated in the cutscene that this is what we do to everybody). The Red Mist being introduced earlier than Blue Star thus just serves as a kind of prelude to the whole concept, rather than it being a total asspull when it comes up later. If the Red Mist is special in any way, it is because it is the first time Angela thinks to do this directly without utilizing the Invitation, but not because it is in any way implied that this is some particularly difficult thing to achieve . And who knows, perhaps she was initially not aware of this being the case with the Library, because as per the Hokma realization, the Library is fundamentally a Carmen scheme.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

I don't see how any of this is damning for Angela

Anyways, where is it stated directly we repeatedly summon people? Red Mist intro?

Oh, there must be a misunderstanding between us somewhere, because I was not trying to condemn Angela to begin with, but rather just explain how the gamey mechanic of repeat receptions is explained within the story :v:

It's explained in the Blue Star outro. Hokma says that the moment a guest enters the Library, they're 'quantized' and then copied, whilst the originals hang out in some sort of comatose state as we battle their copies in what Angela describes as a virtual battle arena. Sure, they do not directly state that they fight copies of the same people multiple times (so my bad for using the term), but taken that fighting copies of the same people multiple times is what we actually do in the game and the Library functionality explained in this cutscene explains how that could be, I feel it is a fairly obvious reading.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Guns are extremely cool and good actually.

You can cheese like, a good three quarters of the game with them if you want to :v:

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Was it? I disagree. I do agree the game is good, though :v:

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Right, but the story wasn't really about that, in the end. Taken it was only ever sort of alluded to, the only way to get that out of the way at this point would be some sort of massive loredump at the very finale. As per the fight, the last week's ones were perfectly fine for a final bout, whilst today's was clearly meant to be more of a cinematic affair.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

I mean, the story was basically Angela's character development (and Roland's) so leaving that bit out is kind of lame. llike, the into seems to foreshadow a lot of stuff with lyrics ("If you're going to replace me, at least have the audacity to kill me thoroughly", "Inside the mirror do you see/Someone else in that body?" that just doesn't actually lead to anything

We'll have to agree to disagree on the fight though. I'm not even counting the battle this week since it's just a cutscene, but I like it when the game ends on a real test of all the skills and knowledge you've put acquired over the course of the game. Hokma's RE fight is a good example of the sort of thing that makes for a good final fight, you really need to stop and think about how you build your decks for everyone. It's really cool!

It's not bad is the thing, it's just a let down that it's leaving one of the biggest questions the game asks with a "to be continued?".

Yours is a fair take, but my point is exactly that this huge question was only ever sort of coyly hinted at. It's a big background thing being set up, and there simply wasn't enough narrative space left in this game to actually properly address it. Hell, taken that my chief issue with this game's writing is that the dramatic turns often feel a bit rushed, I probably would have been disappointed if they did attempt to address it here :v:

Thus my take with the ending is more 'makes sense' rather than 'how disappointing'. I was all in all quite happy with it, but to each their own.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

I'll miss LoR's gameplay specifically in whatever comes next,t he entire reason I ended up getting into the series was because LoR looked cool even when LC didn't appeal to me at all after I first heard about it.

It's funny that for the very final cutscene fight the Arbiter and Claw aren't... Actually that impressive.

I do find it interesting how PM just goes all over the place wrt the genres of their games, yeah. I kinda like it, but it does sort of pose the challenge of keeping people hooked throughout the series since not everything appeals to everybody. Personally, I'll be back just because I'm probably too invested in the setting for my own good, but still.

As per the second point: I'd actually argue this makes total sense. Both the Arbiter and the Claw were strong, but just looking at their cards they aren't unbeatably strong. But we already know that: The Red Mist by herself canonically killed two Claws and mortally wounded an Arbiter in a facility filled with rampaging abnormalities. The thing with them though, is that they don't fight fair (I believe this is canonically stated by Roland during a cutscene, but I can't actually recall where exactly he said it). Here the Arbiter comes to the Library all 'I did it 35 minutes ago' style, where the Head's main plan is already underway and without us in any position to stop it even if we wanted to. And more than that, they only initiated combat where our ability to fight back was severely limited enough that we couldn't realistically win, even though the Arbiter and Claw by their lonesome probably wouldn't rank that high in difficulty when compared to other stuff we've so far seen.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

That's how they get you, yeah :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

Well just ran into an old friend with Tiphereth and this fight is something else.

Yeah, that one's a doozy. Have fun :v: