Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tenebrais posted:

The other downside, which really only just occurred to me while writing the stress paragraph, is that since you can end the day whenever you like with it almost never being a good idea to do so immediately, you don't really get as strong a sense of relief from ending a day as you could have, because you always know you could have kept going. It was entirely your choice to stop here, rather than an extrinsic milestone. It's the difference between reaching the top of a 2km-high mountain, and reaching the 2km point of a 4km-high mountain. You've gone as far and it could have been equally challenging, but the lower summit is more satisfying to hit if you're going to stop there. Even if you were aiming for that mid-point on the high mountain from the start, you just don't get the same sense of achievement when you can see you could have gone further.

I wonder if the game would have been improved by giving you a set time to complete the day. It would solve both of those problems - taking things too slowly becomes discouraged, and you have a fixed point at which you can breath a sigh of relief and say you made it through conclusively. You could still allow the player to end the day early once you reach your quota, possibly at a LOB penalty compared to finishing at closing time, but it would offer a clear conclusion point.

Despite all these words I really love LC's overall game design; it's only because it's so good in the majority of respects that I can point out specific things that keep it from being perfect.

They come in limited doses but there are parts of LC that due just this and I can't tell you how relieved I feel when I manage to get to the end of one without loving everything up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That is how I handle him. The moment that counter hits 0 I consider him dead space and just ignore him.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fat Samurai posted:

To be fair, 80% of the crisis are on you. The game is attention tax over attention tax, and eventually you'll mess up.

And sometimes the game messes you up. I still feel salty when I got the gift from the singing machine that pushed an employee into the jump into the spinning blades level of fortitude.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

jimmydalad posted:

Attention tax is rough. As the game progresses, I’m finding it harder to use Today’s Shy Look because I need my attention to be elsewhere. I’m glad I don’t have Old Lady or I could go crazy.

With Child of Galaxy, does his pebble carry between days? If so, does that mean that you just have one employee perpetually spending time with him?

That pebble expires every day. You still want to spend a lot of time working with the child for the chance of one of the best accessories in the game.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Snow Queen is a solid choice.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
A good agent with the child of the universe gift and the Judgement Bird set can pretty much solo Green Dusk.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

jimmydalad posted:

I forgot where my repository reset was last made. Hopefully it isn’t too far back. It would be a shame to lose out on Judgment bird just as I got their equipment.

How does Day 1 resetting work? I guess I could probably just research the train and then repository reset or day 1 reset or something. I didn’t realise the train was such a big deal.

You keep all mission progress, gear, and research levels.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
All in one day.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think my favorite combo was the button that ruins everything and the train. When I realized just what that combo did I rewinded and ended up with something inconsequential and the Queen of Hatred.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The best waw for suppression is king of greed for as long as you keep everything behind it you will never take any damage from it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

pumpinglemma posted:

Yeah, that one's probably a repository reset then. The good news is that even if you got O-01-45 after your last memory point, you'll never have to worry about the clock again.

That is also the bad news.

So it only does the transform gimmick once?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

pumpinglemma posted:

Yes, the transformation is a one-time event that will never repeat.

That makes me a lot more willing to deal with it should it show up again.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Unlucky7 posted:

I am thinking about getting this game but...are there jump scares? Because I am a huge baby.

There is one abnormality that does that so as long as you know what to avoid you should be good.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

jimmydalad posted:

Oh boy, looks like the core suppressions are coming.

Malkuth, Yesod and Hod activated at the same time, which is a bit of an oh god moment. Should I just do them in the order of Malkuth, Yesod then Hod or is there a benefit of doing them another way? I have You Must Be Happy so Hod lowering my stats seems a bit redundant and Malkuth is just noting what each action changes to if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully, they aren't too hard.

I go with Hod first as that makes recruiting new employees a lot cheaper as they all start with 3s in every stat.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just to check, when it comes to the mission involving Aleph abnormalities, you can't just subdue the same one again and again right?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just started to read it and it does an excellent job of showing just how hosed up Lobotomy Corp can get.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
She is Waw though in terms of difficulty I would actually rate her an Aleph as unless you know exactly what you are doing and have the right tools for the job she can easily wreck your entire facility.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If you find it too much you can always do a day 1 reset. You will keep your mission progress and any gear you have produced which should make things easier.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There is always something funny when you get given a mission and the moment the day has begun you have already completed it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I value the life of my employees. Of course they only count as employees after multiple stand out performances and have the gifts/gear to take on all but the toughest enemies by themselves.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lt. Lizard posted:

I'm slowly chugging along this game, just completed 3rd Tiphereth mission, which made available "Core Suppression" missions for almost all Upper Sephirahs and um....... this whole thing got a lot more interesting. :stare: Like I can't say it's much of a twist, considering that the game is telling you they are AI since the beginning, but it's still kinda unnerving to discover just how much is the cognition filter warping your perception of what's going on. Also, you can't fool me Angela! I remembered you still looked like human when the cognition filter malfunctioned back at the beginning, I'm on to your poo poo!

Speaking of "Core Suppression" missions are they something I should be doing as soon as they become available, despite being still on like day 25, or are they end-game stuff? Both gameplay-wise and story-wise.

They unlock some really useful upgrades and make it easier to manage the base so they should be done sooner rather then later.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

If you know the details of them then you should leave O-03-60 well enough alone until you have max level agents. Out of the other two you need to be careful but they are both pretty useful.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Be very careful of Der Freischütz's weapon. It is very powerful but can also cause a lot of collateral damage. Give it to an agent who you can keep by themselves and they will do just fine.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Feels like the safest place to ask, in the LP has the whole concept of the Clerks Right Squad been brought up in the lp?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thank you for confirming that for me.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Aumanor posted:

Anybody got anything to say about -55 and -61? In particular, do either of those breach (and if yes, how likely is that breach to level my entire facility)?

How early into the run are you? Neither abnormality breaches and both provide some very good buffs to those who work them but also have strict rules that if you break will kill employees.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Aumanor posted:

Between days 14 and 15, about to pick up my 13th anomaly. Would like to get a breaching one for Hod's mission 4 since I only have 3 so far (and Knight, I guess, but... NO.). So my choice here is between:
1. taking the third anomaly, Schadenfreude, which I already had before doing a rewind, from which I have already extracted all gear, which I don't need for training since I've already got Freischutze to cover Justice and who is a gigantic pain in the arse for me to manage becasue of the way I like to play, but who would I guess solve the problem of breaching.
2. Taking one of the two other anomalies, setting me back further on Hod's mission
3. Retrying the day and hoping for a better roll

Whatever I do, I need something I can live with in a long term as I'll be avoiding a rewind at all costs since a) I feel like I've got a pretty decent setup going so far and b) as mentioned I've already done a day 11 reroll and I really, REALLY don't want to do those five loving days for the THIRD time.

You still have time to get a breaching abnormality so don't worry about it quite yet and both of the other options will be extremely useful for a deep dive.

-55 an all round trainer with a very useful ego gift. You will have to be careful about managing employees using it during a day but said issue will vanish once you get to the next.
-61 great for repression work which always provides an ego gift that while strong you have will have to be constantly aware about who has used it before or else it will kill employees.

Personally I would go with 55 and hope to pick up 61 at a later date as the consequences for what it does are easier to work around with max stat employees.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am very glad we have this thread as reading through the reactions to the first Sephirah Meltdown have been amazing.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Aumanor posted:

Choosing from -108, -110 and -31. Would rather not have to repo. Advice? Day 27, 4 ALEPHs currently in the facility, sitting on a pretty bad red resistant suits deficit at the moment.

As long as you don't pick 31 then you should be okay. Just be aware that 110 can have issues depending on what other abnormalities you have and 108 requires a very specific way of handling it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Yinlock posted:

speaking of the comic abnormalities I really hope The Road Home makes it in to lobcorp 2 because it's mechanic sounds hilarious

just a house dropping from the sky and murdering an entire room

That is basically violent noon.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is a fun weapon but you will never forget the one time you forget to manage it and suddenly almost every employee you have is dead with a single shot.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Magmar posted:

I've been thinking, and I much prefer the Plague Doctor to the Army in Pink, even though both are the same kind of gimmick. Pretending to be Zayin and revealing Aleph.

I think the reason for this is the Plague Doctor is a lot better about warning you ahead of time that it's definitely not okay, as it does the big show and dance.

It is pretty clear that something is up with Army in Pink the moment you do any work with it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Bringing this up here so that I can avoid posting a big block of spoiler text in the lp. So if I understand the change in mechanics correctly TeeQueue if you reverse time like that then you get to fight White Night by itself without having to worry about any of its apostles and will be able to grab the gear without much issue.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just started Runia and wow it is weird seeing Angela with short hair.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
More first floor LoR stuff. I just reached what seems to be a branching point when the library has reached the rank of urban legend. Will I be able to pursue both paths or will I only be able to choose one?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Glad to hear that. Also I am enjoying the story but there are definitely times when I feel like a real rear end in a top hat.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Deeper in and I have to say gently caress guns.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That all sounds great. It just sucks to run into them for the first time and get to see just what they can do to you when an entire squad has them.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is fun watching Roland bounce off the rest of the cast as it does a lot to help make the individual scenes feel unique. This is especially true for Angela and it was really funny seeing them talk after the Carnival invitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Almost beat the fire office but enough burn had piled up that I lost.