Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
This subject came up in the IIMM thread and has been eating at me for a while. A thread idea I've had for some time that I think goons would be good at.

quote:

Best celebrity cameo ever is Bob Barker in Happy Gilmore.

quote:

I have to go with Robert Duval in Slingblade just from how out of left field it came and how long it took me to recognize him.

Come to think of it, I've thought more than once about starting a "Holy poo poo, Was That REALLY So and So?; PYF Cameo" thread but I can never remember the ones I want to use in my OP, which I only seem to recall during my hour commute to and from work or when I'm watching a movie that reminds me of the idea in the first place. I know I've had 3 or 4 cross my mind here and there but drawing a total blank right now.

Could be a cool thread.

So here's that thread I thought might have a chance to be good.

And I stand by my Robert Duval choice just for how "whoa" it was and much it blindsided me with such a well known and accomplished actor during a film where I never saw it coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Lloyd Kaufman was in a crowd scene in Cell for a three second cameo. That was the only good three seconds of that movie.

I wasn't even aware they made a movie out of that. The book sucked hard and I tend to like Stephen King.

I remembered one in light of my avatar and that was Peter Benchley (author of JAWS) playing the news reporter on the beach but that's not really in the spirit of what I imagined for the thread, which I was hoping to be more of a "blink and you'll miss it" sort of thing.

While I'm thinking about that, Billy Crystal as a "mime is money" in Spinal Tap is pretty great.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Chrpno posted:

But is that even a cameo? Maybe just an acting job, was he famous enough to qualify in 1982?

He was pretty famous from the TV show SOAP but looking at his IMDB it seems you're right. He had only been one other movie.

I also never realized Dave Grohl plays the devil in the Tenacious D movie.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

lovely movie but Janet Leigh's brief scene in Halloween H20 brought a round of applause in the theater.

For sports figures, Dan Marino in Ace Ventura, Joe Frazier in Rocky and Brett Favre in There's Something About Mary playing themselves worked pretty well.

And for some reason, I liked Wil Farrell in Wedding Crashers and honestly thought is was gonna lead to a sequel (Funeral Crashers).

I know I'm also forgetting a few where the person was almost completely unrecognizable, similar to Duval in Slingblade, but I'm drawing a blank. Those are always my favorites - where it takes a moment to hit me who I'm looking at.

The Mighty Moltres posted:

He's also the demon in the music video for Tribute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lK4cX5xGiQ

Also just learned that John C Reily was bigfoot lol.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Gargamel Gibson posted:

OP, what's the significance of Robert Duvall's name being spelled wrong in the thread title?

I'm gonna run with "typo" if that's OK

Honest answer.

If not I'm gonna say I was trying to be funny. Somehow.

But really it's just a typo.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 00:56 on Jun 30, 2020

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Similarly unrecognisible is Terry Gilliam in heavy prosthetics during Jupiter Ascending's Brazil-style buerocracy sequence.

Oh, yeah. Speaking of Gilliam I had forgotten that Hunter Thompson showed up briefly in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I'm real cool on authors showing up in movies about their own books and that's come up a few times. Reminded me of James Dickey as the sheriff in Deliverance. I thought he did really well and came off politely intimidating with that phony southern charm really well, especially for a non actor, but I seem to remember reading that he didn't like his take and wanted another one - but that may have been Peter Benchley in JAWS.

Or both. I dunno.

Everyone go watch Deliverance and JAWS this weekend is what I'm saying.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Come on, dude. Those aren't cameos.

"It's not FAIR!"

I think those count. :shrug: I never knew that was Aimee Mann but I recognized Flea.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

You shut your dirty loving mouth, that film was excellent.

e: I see the problem. You love bad action movies, which The Punisher isn't.

I could never, ever, take Thomas Jane seriously as an action hero in anything. Or take him seriously at all for some reason.

All I see is the corny dude from Boogie Nights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Deep Blue Sea rules, you pieces of poo poo.

Also the corny action hero from Deep Blue Sea.

thanks for reminding me.

Also for reminding me that I am, in fact, as you wrote, a giant piece of poo poo.

Still not sold on Jane as an action hero though, whatever that makes me. I liked him in The Mist and in 1922. For that matter, I liked him Boogie Nights. Maybe a little too much if you know what I'm sayin.