Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Arist posted:

If you're still watching, be warned that this is leaving Netflix on September 21.

Well crap, just started this a couple of days ago and it wasn't really grabbing me so I figured I'd come back to it later. I'm up to S01E10 and it's just a bit meh, from reading comments here it seems season 1 is just kinda like that? Does some storyline develop at some point here or not really until season 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ok I apparently had only seen up to season 1 ep 9, ep 10 seems to have been a bit of a turning point. Gonna give it a handful more eps though now I'm not sure I could get through the whole thing by September 21.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Continuing with season 1 and I just got the this baby episode and uhhhh this is just a bit too silly

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I would say it took until season 1 ep 10 for me to really get into it a bit, the first season was pretty slow. I'm almost halfway through season 2 now and it's a bit more fun but still very procedural. Also I went back and read some of the discussion in the thread now that I was pretty sure I wouldn't get spoiled, and seeing that Jonathan Nolan is Chris Nolan's brother and that the general idea of the show was Batman & Alfred except they help ordinary people made it click for me too. Now I just wish they'd give Jim Caviezel something to do other than talk all gravely and beat people up.

Edit: just watched some videos of Caviezel doing interviews and I guess that's just his normal speaking voice. Also reading up on him is a bit uh :yikes:

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 26, 2020

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Alright just finished season 2, if all of season 3 could be like those last two eps then I'll understand the praise for this show. Reese continues to be a charisma black hole though, it's like Caviezel is half asleep while reading lines most of the time. He's got two facial expressions at most and has chemistry with maybe just the dog? The more I watch this the less I like him.

And now to start season 3.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Season 3 is pretty, pretty good.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I feel like I'm taking up most of this page with my posts but I'm not gonna stop

On season 4 now and I think Detective Forge is my new favorite character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

With two days to spare I did it, I finished PoI. Here are my thoughts:

-Michael Emerson is just the best
-I really kind of actively disliked this show for the first two seasons, and likely would have given up on it if not for knowing how much praise I've read about it from goons over the years. But as soon as they (season 3 spoilers) killed off Carter and finished the HR storyline everything improved dramatically to the point where I'm gonna need to see if they switched writers or show runners or something. Hell I even started to think Caviezel actually did have some range after that
-Still think Caviezel is easily the worst cast person on the show. There's understated performances and then there's just being wooden.
-Season 4 was my favorite, If-Then-Else and Terra Incognita were loving great
-I loved the little end of series reveal that there's been other groups of people (backed by billionaire tech geniuses, natch) getting numbers from the machine
-I thought for sure they'd reveal Finch's last name eventually
-I assume from the abbreviated last season they got cancelled. Was it a ratings thing?