Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Thank you so much Cyrano I didn't want to bug anyone to ask with everything going on you're awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Such Fun posted:

Last night I was watching something and realized the trope of small town female cops being coded as lesbian. Made me go ‘huh’.

Was it Onward

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Such Fun posted:

No, I think it was a no or one line role on Doom Patrol actually. More of a visual confirmation of the trope.
What is ‘interesting’ about the trope is that there is a subtext that these women are admirable because they exhibit traditional male forms of strength: solitary and independent, averse to displaying emotion and vulnerability.
What makes them lesbian coded is short haircuts and a boxy uniform hiding traditionally female curves.
I don’t really know why they are a trope; what purpose they are intended to serve

I think they feel like they're being progressive, like onward has a single throwaway line where the very masculine ogre woman cop says her wife is at home waiting, but they code her so obviously that it just comes across as pandering