Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whos worse
george bush jr
trump
obama
View Results

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Reminder that the Taliban was negotiating with the US about handing over Bin Laden and this genuinely appeared to be the direction things were going when Bush et al decided to go for military force for no goddamn reason there as well.

20 years later and the US is negotiating basically handing over power of the country back to the Taliban. And it took almost a decade to find Bin Laden.

The US could have achieved infinitely more of its stated geopolitical goals if it had refrained from using any military force following 9/11. Especially if we imagine the kind of different context that would've created for the Arab Spring.

What the US could not have accomplished without the wars is funneling trillions of dollars towards private contractors of all kinds both at home and abroad by privatizing as much of its warfighting and "homeland security" infrastructure as possible and taking a whole bunch more steps on the fusing of the corporate world and the state. Profiteering was always the point of the wars both in Iraq and in Afghanistan and that is but one reason Bush is worse than Trump.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 16:17 on Jul 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I vote Bush is worse. Where’s the poll?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

docbeard posted:

Trump's reaction to the actual 9/11 was to brag that he had the tallest building in New York now

lol

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

fart simpson posted:

get this: he didn’t and they did

Htbh but the legacy of a presidency is mostly shaped by the historical context, circumstances and events of that time. It's much more interesting to compare the personality of presidents and how they would have fared in different historical contexts. The question whether Ugg the Hairy from 8000BC is worse than Robespierre is not that interesting, htbh

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

GABA ghoul posted:

Htbh but the legacy of a presidency is mostly shaped by the historical context, circumstances and events of that time. It's much more interesting to compare the personality of presidents and how they would have fared in different historical contexts. The question whether Ugg the Hairy from 8000BC is worse than Robespierre is not that interesting, htbh

1. the question the threads asking you isnt which president has a worse personality. its which president is worse.
2. what the heck is htbh

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

fart simpson posted:

1. the question the threads asking you isnt which president has a worse personality. its which president is worse.
2. what the heck is htbh

1. I'm trying to improve your thread here, op
2. Idk

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fart simpson posted:

would trump have pulled off 9/11 or would he have messed it up out of incompetence?

tbf bush did gently caress up the portion of 9/11 that was supposed to crash into the white house while he was out reading to children

cheney was in the white house at the time, and famously ordered the military to get ready to shoot down jetliners

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

LastInLine posted:

ofc he wasn't committed to vietnamese peace, but after the war was lost he did actually leave. I wouldn't have called that a positive until seeing how Iraq and Afghanistan has gone and welp, it has to count for something. (I actually do believe he sabotaged the 1968 talks)

As for UBI and healthcare, I'm under the impression that at least the former was pretty close to getting somewhere. I'll still concede that close doesn't count, but he was definitely the last time there was the possibility of either.

I'd consider the opening of China to be a bad thing. I find it difficult to believe anyone who considers themselves a leftist would see it in a positive light. I'd also consider it a matter of circumstance rather than an effort on his part. The opportunity was there and he took it, which I would expect a competent administration to do.

by the 1968 talks, i meant that although nixon definitely sabotaged them, i'm skeptical that they would've led to peace anyways, since the south's goals wouldn't have been met anyway

i'd actually love to know more about your thoughts on visiting china. is your thinking here that normalizing US-china relations led to the market economy of china today?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

docbeard posted:

Well, Trump's reaction to the actual 9/11 was to brag that he had the tallest building in New York now, so probably both.
In the reality where Trump won the 2000 election, 9/11 was an insurance scam which Trump used to get a huge payout and then had the public pay for Trump Tower Two, the tallest building in the world. There was no war on Afghanistan because it'd distract people from Trump rallies.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

The US could have achieved infinitely more of its stated geopolitical goals if it had refrained from using any military force following 9/11. Especially if we imagine the kind of different context that would've created for the Arab Spring.

What the US could not have accomplished without the wars is funneling trillions of dollars towards private contractors of all kinds both at home and abroad by privatizing as much of its warfighting and "homeland security" infrastructure as possible and taking a whole bunch more steps on the fusing of the corporate world and the state. Profiteering was always the point of the wars both in Iraq and in Afghanistan and that is but one reason Bush is worse than Trump.
don't forget the cheap heroin!!

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

GABA ghoul posted:

It's much more interesting to compare the personality of presidents and how they would have fared in different historical contexts.

it’s actually neither useful nor interesting and almost entirely projection

animist
Aug 28, 2018

comedyblissoption posted:

obama continued the bomb middle east plan with libya, syria, and yemen and couped a bunch of other countries almost like it was an uninterrupted continuation of the bush administration

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Trump