Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wait, so they killed off lithgow's character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That's a dead body.

Told you he's an expert.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

I am surprised how much I am enjoying this show. They've really nailed the tone and it looks great. Full of wonderful character actors being at their best. Hope they can tie up all the stories going on into a great season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
“The god of peace will crush you!” is certainly a thing to say

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Started watching this because my SO loves mysteries and now I think I'm more into it than her. Will be bummed if E.B. is dead, Lithgow has been incredible.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Started watching this because my SO loves mysteries and now I think I'm more into it than her. Will be bummed if E.B. is dead, Lithgow has been incredible.

Something had to happen to get Mason to step up and take charge of Emily's defense. I'm guessing we'll learn he actually has a law degree and almost became a lawyer, but the circumstances surrounding his discharge from the Army prevented him from getting his license somehow, or something along those lines.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah him objecting on his lawyers behalf to irrelevant questioning was a pretty sure example of him being a lawyer.

It could even just be he was a lawyer pre war but post war was so broken he became a PI.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think this week's episode was definitely the best so far.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I really hate Root

e:'s character I mean

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Milo and POTUS posted:

I really hate Root

e:'s character I mean

He's a jerk but seems to have nothing to do with the kidnapping and could be the most important ally for Mason once he gets some evidence on the real killers. A corrupt detective is a great fall guy for his false prosecution of the wrong people.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
E.B.'s disintegration from the confident, snappy, apparently successful figure we met in Ep 1 to the abject mess we saw in this last one has been really well done.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Something had to happen to get Mason to step up and take charge of Emily's defense. I'm guessing we'll learn he actually has a law degree and almost became a lawyer, but the circumstances surrounding his discharge from the Army prevented him from getting his license somehow, or something along those lines.

Wasn't there a shot of his law degree on the wall in the first episode? During the sad montage of his house?

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

ShakeZula posted:

Wasn't there a shot of his law degree on the wall in the first episode? During the sad montage of his house?

This was the best I could find.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Was a law degree even a requirement in California in 1932?

Edit: Apparently you just need to pass the bar exam.

Georgia Peach fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 15, 2020

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I guess I was expecting a full season before he became a lawyer. Wonder how he'll still be able to investigate things.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I finally started watching this show properly and it absolutely owns. I really hope we get further seasons, or further miniseries, because everybody's knocking it out of the park on this one. I don't even mind the completely obvious CGI when it shows up, it's kind of charming to see them recreate 30s environments with it.

drat, if we do pivot into Perry taking over the case for the second half of the season it'll be basically the perfect show for my tastes. Half noir detective stuff and half lawyer who's also doing detective stuff, and we ought to get a real juicy trial too.

I feel like E.B.'s actions will result in the bail money arriving. I was expecting that to lead to a misdirect, but as others have pointed out it's a perfect motivation for Mason to step in and lawyer the hell out of this. He might have resolved himself to do that at the moment he said he'd "Do what's best" since the D.A. had that past embezzling hanging over him, and another lawyer working on the case wouldn't have to deal with that.

I'm so ready for a classic "broke the guy down on the stand" Perry Mason moment now too, that'd be satisfying as hell with a whole season's worth of cops being crooked to build up to it. Then the case gets Mason enough fame and press that he takes over E.B.'s office. I'd get a kick out of him calling his practice Perry Mason and associates too.

I'm definitely expecting the Sister's resurrection prediction to be the result of them killing some other kid, and that Charlie's been snuck out to his grandfather or something like that. It's pretty easy to hand out ransom money when you're expecting most of it back in the end. And it's not a kidnapping gone wrong, it's a kidnapping gone right but someone's willing to kill a whole other kid just to make sure no one's looking for Charlie. Mason cracks the case, Charlie's found on Easter, and the Sister's got some legit conduit to god stuff going on, or can at least claim that she does.

CeeJee posted:

He's a jerk but seems to have nothing to do with the kidnapping and could be the most important ally for Mason once he gets some evidence on the real killers. A corrupt detective is a great fall guy for his false prosecution of the wrong people.

Yeah Root's gonna be hard to convince, but once Mason throws a literal mountain of evidence on him about how she's innocent, and when Root realizes that despite all the fervor he's cooked up he's going to lose the case (probably because Mason broke down the husband on the stand), I think he'd be willing to listen to how Mason thinks a crooked detective was involved, and that'd be sensational enough to give the D.A. some cover for losing this high profile case.

Oh, and I'm so, SO glad that Mason sold those photos he had to the tabloids. Screw that film studio, go and get paid Mason! Maybe we'll get a scene with film studio thugs and the detectives showing up to mess with Mason at the same time, that'd be fun. After how much he's been kicked around so far, I'd also enjoy him laying in wait on his property and holding up a few people who show up trying to beat him up, it'd be nice to see him ahead of the game on that front for a change.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 15, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I assumed he did it to buy the client time? I don't know how it worked back then, but an attorney offing himself during a case today would bring it to a standstill, at least until a replacement could be found, doubly so for a capital case. Brought on by him feeling despondent about being unable to help?

Also about how far away would that farm be today? God LA area is so insanely big

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Milo and POTUS posted:

I assumed he did it to buy the client time? I don't know how it worked back then, but an attorney offing himself during a case today would bring it to a standstill, at least until a replacement could be found, doubly so for a capital case. Brought on by him feeling despondent about being unable to help?

Also about how far away would that farm be today? God LA area is so insanely big
I mean, that's one probable effect of his actions, but I don't like it as a motivation. EB topped himself because he didn't want to face the consequences of his embezzlement. There are going to be other effects of course, but that's the common motivation between trying to convince his client to plead out and what he ended up doing. It's very unlikely that the DA would send out that evidence just to smear and disbar a dead man, so this way means EB gets to keep some of his reputation and public image.

But yeah, it will probably buy his client some time, just not nearly as much as today (I doubt court backlogs were as bad 100 years ago, even in LA). What it does do is take away the blackmail leverage that the DA could use to control the trial, which is a step or two towards getting the best result for his client. Still, EB could've accomplished that a lot of other ways--like admit publicly to what he'd done, resign from the case, and help ensure a smooth transfer to a new attorney--so it was still a selfish act.

It was a very poetic final scene and all, but I just have a hard time seeing EB as selfless and sacrificial like that.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

NowonSA posted:

Oh, and I'm so, SO glad that Mason sold those photos he had to the tabloids. Screw that film studio, go and get paid Mason! Maybe we'll get a scene with film studio thugs and the detectives showing up to mess with Mason at the same time, that'd be fun. After how much he's been kicked around so far, I'd also enjoy him laying in wait on his property and holding up a few people who show up trying to beat him up, it'd be nice to see him ahead of the game on that front for a change.
I think the studio released those. They didn’t want the shots of the girl he was with released to the press because she was their next big thing. They wanted dirt on not-fatty-arbuckle.

Also with regards to the theory that they switched out the kid, wouldn’t the mother (unless she’s in on it) know that the dead body isn’t her own kid? I’d be disappointed (again unless she’s in on it) if the writers had a mother not recognize that a kid she was holding was not her own.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goddamn, late to the party, but for the halfway mark of the season, talk about a loving brutal midpoint. What astounds me is how incredibly tight they've set this up from the beginning, rewatching the first trailer, and having some guess of what comes next.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well the is indeed pretty loving good. Basically watched an episode per day starting Monday and can't wait for the next one.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wait, so they killed off lithgow's character?
Did he actually turn on the oven?

evenworse username posted:

E.B.'s disintegration from the confident, snappy, apparently successful figure we met in Ep 1 to the abject mess we saw in this last one has been really well done.
Felt a bit too quick, though, he was already a mess in the last episode.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

mobby_6kl posted:

Did he actually turn on the oven?
The method he was using isn't really possible anymore (probably one reason they're able to get away with showing it the way they did), but those old stoves/ovens pumped carbon monoxide straight into the room, so ignition wasn't necessary.

A little more info: https://io9.gizmodo.com/why-have-people-stopped-committing-suicide-with-gas-5959303

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

AtraMorS posted:

The method he was using isn't really possible anymore (probably one reason they're able to get away with showing it the way they did), but those old stoves/ovens pumped carbon monoxide straight into the room, so ignition wasn't necessary.

A little more info: https://io9.gizmodo.com/why-have-people-stopped-committing-suicide-with-gas-5959303
Huh, that's convenient, they really thought abut everything. I feel like I've read about this before but didn't remember it while watching, thanks for the article.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

AFewBricksShy posted:

I think the studio released those. They didn’t want the shots of the girl he was with released to the press because she was their next big thing. They wanted dirt on not-fatty-arbuckle.

Also with regards to the theory that they switched out the kid, wouldn’t the mother (unless she’s in on it) know that the dead body isn’t her own kid? I’d be disappointed (again unless she’s in on it) if the writers had a mother not recognize that a kid she was holding was not her own.

Oh dang, yeah that makes a lot more sense. Ah well, I hope he ends up getting one over on the film studio one way or another before the end of this series. I think I'd buy general grief as a reason for her not recognizing her kid, personally that's not a big hurdle for me. I definitely have some big non-parent bias of "all little kids look the same" going on though.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 17, 2020

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Perry mason getting hosed into the crack between the bed and the wall was really funny

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working

Escobarbarian posted:

Third is the first one I’ve really enjoyed. I thought the first and second were pretty meh (the war flashbacks in episode 2 are like the most generic loving thing ever), but 3 develops some of the characters in interesting ways.
Thanks for the advice - third episode was much better!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

AtraMorS posted:

You just know someone stuck their head in a hot oven because they didn't get the memo

EmotionlessThug posted:

Perry mason getting hosed into the crack between the bed and the wall was really funny

The show has a sense of humor and it's to its credit

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

You just know someone stuck their head in a hot oven because they didn't get the memo
I can't remember when I first saw/heard about something like that in a story, but I was really young, and for an embarrassingly long time when I heard about sticking your head in an oven, I was like, "How bad must your life suck if it makes you want to broil your own head?"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I predict 7 is gonna be the climax of the detective stuff and 8 is gonna be him lawyering for the denouement

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I'm glad we got a small bit of the old Perry Mason theme in the credits tonight. I really want them to play the original theme but they're probably waiting to use it because it's so drat iconic.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

So that was John Lithgow’s actual son, right? Because seeing someone look and sound exactly like John Lithgow but 30 years younger was damned well eerie.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I haven't seen reruns of the old TV show since I was a kid, but I get the feeling that people who love the show probably know who Lemon Tea Esq. is? Seems like a really obvious reference to something I just don't get.

But more importantly... Perry Mason's legal education? Pshaw. He straight-up Kim Kardashianed his way onto the bar.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This was a 10/10 episode and they better make more of this because I love it.

tarlibone posted:

But more importantly... Perry Mason's legal education? Pshaw. He straight-up Kim Kardashianed his way onto the bar.

I loving love this so much.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

Ballz posted:

So that was John Lithgow’s actual son, right? Because seeing someone look and sound exactly like John Lithgow but 30 years younger was damned well eerie.

Yeah, it is. He sounds so close I was wondering if it wasn't actually John's voice when the camera wasn't on him. Still wondering. Maybe a composite or something.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

tarlibone posted:

I haven't seen reruns of the old TV show since I was a kid, but I get the feeling that people who love the show probably know who Lemon Tea Esq. is? Seems like a really obvious reference to something I just don't get.

When Mr. Lemon Tea's name was finally said, I went 'Oh, okay'. In the old show Hamilton Burger was a DA so him being an ADA here does tie him in.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Fun to think that the D.A. on the original show knew about Mason's shady origins and helped him cheat to pass the bar, and then just kind of went with it while Mason presumably kept going head to head with him in court. Maybe they reach a kind of truce on that after Mason helps sink the current D.A.

I wonder just how much of this was in the books and how much they're making up, because this is making Mason into just a ridiculously compelling character, and I'd love to see him being a combination lawyer and detective in future seasons set in this time period.

I also really like that we assumed Mason had a decent law background, but nope he's just gonna wing it and still kick rear end because the D.A. has freakin nothing, although I guarantee Mason's gonna have some piece of damning evidence tossed at him out of nowhere at the trial. I also like that they've kept the same bar exam for what, a decade? It's pretty funny to think about America not taking that poo poo super seriously when it takes a massive education and I'm sure a much more complicated test now to be a lawyer.

Drake's wife changed her mind too quick for my tastes, but then again we gotta keep things zipping along so you can't really do a slow burn on that. I guess I can buy that when the racism was properly directed at her and her husband she just decided "Yeah, screw Caesar you go get some justice for whoever you can."

I'll be shocked in Mason's partner lives through the season, having someone learn a huge secret and then get killed is pretty much all we need now for a full Noir bingo.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

tarlibone posted:

I haven't seen it yet but I'm really surprised they even had rappers back in the 30s

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

NowonSA posted:

Fun to think that the D.A. on the original show knew about Mason's shady origins and helped him cheat to pass the bar, and then just kind of went with it while Mason presumably kept going head to head with him in court. Maybe they reach a kind of truce on that after Mason helps sink the current D.A.

I wonder just how much of this was in the books and how much they're making up, because this is making Mason into just a ridiculously compelling character, and I'd love to see him being a combination lawyer and detective in future seasons set in this time period.

I also really like that we assumed Mason had a decent law background, but nope he's just gonna wing it and still kick rear end because the D.A. has freakin nothing, although I guarantee Mason's gonna have some piece of damning evidence tossed at him out of nowhere at the trial. I also like that they've kept the same bar exam for what, a decade? It's pretty funny to think about America not taking that poo poo super seriously when it takes a massive education and I'm sure a much more complicated test now to be a lawyer.

Drake's wife changed her mind too quick for my tastes, but then again we gotta keep things zipping along so you can't really do a slow burn on that. I guess I can buy that when the racism was properly directed at her and her husband she just decided "Yeah, screw Caesar you go get some justice for whoever you can."

I'll be shocked in Mason's partner lives through the season, having someone learn a huge secret and then get killed is pretty much all we need now for a full Noir bingo.

What I vaguely remember of the original show when my mom watched reruns of it, is when Burger was going against Mason in court, he was more concerned with justice being served than just winning the case.

quote:

Once Mason had exposed the true perpetrator, Burger often joined in Mason's motion to the judge to dismiss the charges against Mason's client so that Burger could then charge the actual wrongdoer.

I think Burger's more than happy to help Mason pass the bar, because when poo poo goes down, he'll be able to prosecute a shitload of people.

I agree that things are looking a little grim for Pete, but I hope not, he's a fun character.

I was pretty meh on this the first couple episodes, but I'm glad I stayed with it, because I am seriously a bit at the edge of my seat with seeing how everything is going to play out (I think my biggest question still is what part Sister Alice is going to end up playing by the end of everything.

I gotta say, episode 3, when Drake approached Mason outside the bar and gave him the broken dentures he found, that was really the point where my opinion changed from 'well, it's something to watch' to 'Oh, let's fuckin' go!'

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

NowonSA posted:

Helping someone cheat on the bar would almost certainly lead to your own disbarment, if it were ever revealed. If anything, it sounds like the kind of leverage that would let Perry get away with court room antics, as he has massive leverage over a district attorney.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Is purse a euphemism or did he really want to live in a purse