Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
It took a minute for things to properly heat up, but this show has me absolutely hooked now. I thought him becoming a lawyer would be something that happened after this case went down and it would stick with his origins as a PI, I wasn't expecting a last ditch desperation move to cheat his way onto the bar. This show rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Ballz posted:

So that was John Lithgow’s actual son, right? Because seeing someone look and sound exactly like John Lithgow but 30 years younger was damned well eerie.

Yes, and he played Leon on Third Rock From The Sun!

As a huge fan of Lithgow and that show seeing him was my fav part of the episode

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Hahaha I was sure they were going to say that Perry had gone to law school before the war but didn't do the bar exam or that he was a lawyer but didn't practice for the same reason he was discharged from the military, didn't expect them to go "gently caress it, it's 1932, just go do the exam".

Having Burger help him cheat on the exam is just the icing of the cake, it's bullshit but I love it.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Man that moment where Perry starts arguing the case in the kitchen and Della's lightbulb goes on was really well done.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Show got renewed for season 2!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhys is incredible of course, so I could do with more of him and less of all the other subplots. I have no idea where they're going with this church thing. Also, I think this show made me realize I just don't like Lili Taylor.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Retrowave Joe posted:

Show got renewed for season 2!

That's cool, I imagine when he wins this case he's going to get a ton of publicity and be hired for more high-profile cases so it's going to be interesting how he actually needs to learn how to do the profession.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I’ve been silently watching and enjoying this show and I’d also agree that it’s gotten better as it’s gone on.

I’m a casual fan of noire which is what drew me to it, and while this show hits all the notes of a classic noire story, I think the fact that it’s set in the 30’s instead of the 40’s is throwing me off a little. Is that normal for the genre? Everything I’m familiar with is set in the mid-to-late 40’s and the detectives are dealing with WWII shell shock, and here they seem to have just substituted that out for WWI. Which I guess is fine? It’s still a hoot to watch this miserable old alcoholic with his heart in the right place bumble his way towards justice.

And god bless Shea Whigham, if you told me he was a time traveler I’d believe it. He just blends seamlessly into any time period as a likeable (or pitiable) mook and he’s suburb.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm glad it turned out Pete was just humoring Ennis in order to pump him for more info. He's too good of a character to go bad like that.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Woo I'm glad we're getting another season, and surely many more if it keeps getting these kinds of ratings :toot:. Eight million for the premiere and best series premiere numbers in about two years means this show is quite a bit more popular than I expected.

Here's hoping they're able to find a place to shoot safely and we get the next season within 1.5-2 years. I'm looking forward to seeing more great acting, fun period/noir stuff, and a combined PI/lawyer dynamic that you don't usually see.

If my prediction of Mason's partner getting killed comes true, I'd be very on board with Drake partnering up with Mason as an investigator in the future. That seems like it'd be an interesting dynamic.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

timp posted:

I’m a casual fan of noire which is what drew me to it, and while this show hits all the notes of a classic noire story, I think the fact that it’s set in the 30’s instead of the 40’s is throwing me off a little. Is that normal for the genre? Everything I’m familiar with is set in the mid-to-late 40’s and the detectives are dealing with WWII shell shock, and here they seem to have just substituted that out for WWI. Which I guess is fine? It’s still a hoot to watch this miserable old alcoholic with his heart in the right place bumble his way towards justice.

First thing I thought of watching the show was Chinatown, and that seems to have been set in 1937.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Big Sleep was pre-world war 2 in the book right?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow. I did not expect that last episode to wind up how it did. That confrontation in EB's office should be scene of the year, honestly. Jesus gently caress, was that cathartic.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I think (broadly speaking) noir fiction can be split between Prohibition/Depression and WWII/Post-WWII. Dashell Hammet is the former and Raymond Chandler the latter.

This is the former.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

Wow. I did not expect that last episode to wind up how it did. That confrontation in EB's office should be scene of the year, honestly. Jesus gently caress, was that cathartic.

Just the way he instantly throws back his head and laughs. It's on sight with that dude.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
FfffrrrraaANK

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I just found out that Robert Downey Jr. was originally cast to play Perry Mason on this show but had to drop out because it didn't fit into his mega movie star schedule. Rhys is killing it, and it's not a bad thing to go with a younger actor for this origin story, but man I would have enjoyed watching RDJ get shaken down by the film studio jerks and blow up at the crooked defense lawyer in EB's office.

RDJ and his wife are still executive producers on the show, so here's hoping we get to see him pop up as a character in a future season. I'd certainly enjoy seeing him as the lawyer Mason's up against in a future case. I'm sure the suits at HBO would love the chance to splash RDJ into trailers for the show too, and that seems like a good way to build on the strength of the better-than-usual pilot viewers (better first episode numbers than Watchmen, for instance) and the overall success of the first season.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I got a feeling this next one's gonna be the real nut punch episode

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just wondering what the hell is gonna happen on easter sunday

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This is a real good episode so far.

Drake is gonna change his testimony. Mason did the right thing not calling him out.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
So who died this episode

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

So who died this episode

Innocence.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus gently caress. Talk about a goddamn cliffhanger. Incredible episode, you really feel like it's all on the line here.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Loved this episode, I'm glad that they did the court scenes well.

I still don't get why they used the Perry Mason license for this show, because it really doesn't feel like Perry Mason, but these court scenes shows that they care.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The guy playing the DA is a loving incredible villain. I’m honestly blown away how well he did this last episode, you really come to hate that fucker.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Taintrunner posted:

The guy playing the DA is a loving incredible villain. I’m honestly blown away how well he did this last episode, you really come to hate that fucker.

Stephen Root has made a career out of being a scumfuck in whatever role he takes. His role on the last two season of Barry definitely helped him land this job.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Stephen Root has made a career out of being a scumfuck in whatever role he takes. His role on the last two season of Barry definitely helped him land this job.

Don’t take his stapler and everything will be fine.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He's a cipher, a riddle wrapped up in an enigma smothered in secret sauce.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Looks like the church is wrapped up in Charlie's kidnapping/death, and unraveling that whole can of worms is what's going to save Emily. I'm looking forward to Hicks laying basically all of this out, and then probably getting killed by Ennis. Then Mason can use any documents and testimony from him as an exception to the hearsay rule, assuming that works the same back then. If they manage to get a proper deposition from him and a paper trail then Mason should be pretty well set to make his case.

Of course, it's gonna get ugly as hell when the church is the one bankrolling him and Emily.

Smart of Mason to basically yell at the sidebar too, kind of got his point across and kept him from being completely screwed when the judge didn't allow the dentures/autopsy in as evidence.

Mason should absolutely be able to call Ennis to the stand too, and I really hope he does. That seems like it's being set up as the classic "Mason breaks someone down on the stand" moment of the season. Maybe throwing whatever Hicks gives him at Ennis will rattle him enough to make him confess, or at least greatly incriminate himself.

I like how this ramped up the tension with the DA throwing every dirty trick at him (perjured testimony, mountains of useless discovery) and made it look like Mason's totally screwed, so now it's gonna be a lot of fun to see him win this when it's the defense's turn.

It's also cool that they've set up Ennis to potentially be gunning Hicks, other church people, Drake, or even Mason himself. I expect him to only go after one person, maybe two at the most, but I like that I can't be sure who that'll be ahead of time. Hicks absolutely has to be the frontrunner though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

NowonSA posted:

Eight million for the premiere and best series premiere numbers in about two years means this show is quite a bit more popular than I expected.

Where’d you get that number from?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The opening statement from Mason made me cringe so hard. It was like the stuttering PD from Cousin Vinny only darker

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Where’d you get that number from?

Yeah poking around more I have no idea how it could be that much based on other figures I've seen since I saw that 8 million figure, I think I saw it on an article that was announcing the second season pickup.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Adnor posted:

Loved this episode, I'm glad that they did the court scenes well.

I still don't get why they used the Perry Mason license for this show, because it really doesn't feel like Perry Mason, but these court scenes shows that they care.

I think by the end it'll feel very much like Perry Mason, which is kind of the point of an origin story like this.

We just need to get Barnes out, Burger in, and Drake in the right spot (which I hope to hell won't involve killing either/both Strickland or Drake's wife), and all the checkboxes are filled.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Mirage posted:

I think by the end it'll feel very much like Perry Mason, which is kind of the point of an origin story like this.

We just need to get Barnes out, Burger in, and Drake in the right spot (which I hope to hell won't involve killing either/both Strickland or Drake's wife), and all the checkboxes are filled.

I think it's the tone what makes it feel the least like Perry Mason, it's too dark, but I guess that's because of being a noir series. But again, I'm enjoying the show, especially these last two episodes, so no complaints there!

And yeah, hopefully they dont kill Strickland or Drake's wife, I want to see Strickland and Drake interacting with each other during investigation, but I honestly can't see Strickland surviving this season, especially after Holcomb told Ennis to kill anyone who can point him out.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

NowonSA posted:

Yeah poking around more I have no idea how it could be that much based on other figures I've seen since I saw that 8 million figure, I think I saw it on an article that was announcing the second season pickup.

Maybe this article?

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/l...01iY1VyQUV6Rno.

quote:

Perry Mason, starring Matthew Rhys, has been renewed for a second season on HBO. The network announced that the show has put up strong numbers, with the premiere episode watched by 8 million people to date.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah that was where I saw it, it's the to-date number and not the premiere number.

I thought Holcomb was an okay guy but nope, turns out he's literally dirtier than Ennis. I could see Ennis being taken down this season but Holcomb hanging out as a seedy bad dude into next season.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Yeah for a minute I thougth Holcomb was going to do the right thing when he went to speak with Ennis, but then at the end of the conversation he clearly shows he's as bad as him.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm so bummed it seems inevitable Shea Whigam is going to get got. He's so good he doesn't deserve less screen time!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I think about the only hope Pete might have is that Drake is back in play and knows about both Ennis and Holcomb. I would like if S2 has them as investigation bros.

But yeah, I too fell for Holcomb's half second of seeming morality when he started yelling at Ennis.

Stephen Root is doing an incredible job in his role, because I absolutely can't wait for Mason to connect the dots and destroy his argument. What an absolute piece of poo poo the DA is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

algebra testes posted:

I'm so bummed it seems inevitable Shea Whigam is going to get got. He's so good he doesn't deserve less screen time!

Twin brother next season!