Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

AFewBricksShy posted:

Can someone tell me who is playing the judge? (From the preview) I can’t place him and he looks so drat familiar.

Edit: 99% sure it’s this guy:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0023885/

Really looking forward to this season. Mason and Berger’s little back and forth in the club was amazing.

It's this guy
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0193551/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t19

First episode was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

muscles like this! posted:

Nate Mooney playing the opposing counsel was kind of funny because I'll never see him as anything but a McPoyle.

And our murder mystery subject sold Dennis and Mac a timeshare!

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Yeah that was a good first ep. Obviously Perry has to be riven with gloom or it's not the show. I'm looking forward to seeing exactly what persuades him to get back to criminal law.

Somewhere in Valhalla, Perry can also be miserable about not getting in on the ground floor of Cabo san Lucas.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sean Astin and Matthew Rhys are doing great work so far this season.

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
I was disappointed in the first episode but I'll keep watching. The first season was high-brow but had bad pacing, was inaccessible, and generally missed the mark - but I appreciated what it was going for. This premier felt like a different show wearing Perry Mason skin. Much lower brow, easily accessible, and easily hits the mark - but feels cheap and generic. The villains were practically twirling their mustaches every time they were on screen.

sad question
May 30, 2020

No naked fat guys chasing Perry yet. Slightly disappointed.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I will also say that I appreciated very much that they introduced a character who practically had a 'THIS SEASON'S VILLAIN' neon sign flashing above his head and then went with well actually he's been shot in the eye. I'm not sure how Mason is going to get drawn into the picture yet, but I give them points for the early move.

They went a bit heavy with contrasting Perry's terrible need to believe in justice with the civil law he's actually doing but when you're in as bleak a landscape as this show travels around in, if you want to make something look bad you need to bring it a bit.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I really liked the first season and I'm definitely enjoying this season so far. I'm putting all my fake money onto a bet on the burned-down Luxe that those Serbians that keep wrestling (the ones Paul's brother was talking about) will be brought in as Perry's heavies when he needs some backup while he pursues evidence or otherwise works to ensure that justice is done.

What happened to Dodson is also a smart place to take the story since it ensures maximum mopiness for Mason and makes sense for where that character was at the end of the first season.

I really hope Perry gets to talk with his Mexican quasi-love interest about this case he's taking on at some point. Her perspective on it seems obvious, but it seems like a scene we ought to see at some point. I feel like it wouldn't be out of place if she just showed up at his office at some point and offered to put him on some sort of clearly bullshit Retainer (kind of willingly opting-in to the sort of thing that they semi-duped Sunny into signing on board for) to make sure he has the money to give those kids a proper defense. I'd expect Perry to accept that sort of help eventually, but I'd expect he'd be strongly against it in the moment.

Edit: It's also going to be fun to watch more and more increasingly damning evidence come up against Perry's clients, whether it's true or manufactured. Oh look, here's a gun they definitely had! Whoops, we found some witnesses that put them at the scene!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also the girl from Inherent Vice surely isn't in it just for a one scene cameo.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I appreciated the brief ACTION LAWYER scene we got this week.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo completely forgot about this show. Which isn't really that surprising considering season 1 was 3 years ago. Looks like the reviews for the season are generally positive though so I'll definitely give it a shot once I finish my current show.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Digging this season. Even if it's standard neo-noir stuff, the production values and score alone render it a must-watch for me.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Enjoyed ep 2. Obviously we can't see all the pieces of this yet but it's an interesting tangle and I appreciate that despite the grimness of, well, everything, at the core you have characters who want to do something right, however reluctantly.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Madurai posted:

The old guy did it had it done is jammed so hard in our face I figure it has to be a misdirect at this point.

I feel the same way... though part of me hopes it IS as obvious as it seems, and the story winds up being "Rich dad killed his failson and is only doing the bare minimum to hide it." But it was probably McCutcheon's muscle who mentioned he'd put everything he had into the floundering ballpark deal.

algebra testes posted:

Also the girl from Inherent Vice surely isn't in it just for a one scene cameo.

Recognizable talent in a seemingly inconsequential supporting role? She's definitely sleeping with Perry by the end of the season. (Doubly so since she's playing a teacher; brooding TV drama characters love to get messily involved with their kids' teachers.)

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Glad the show is back and I caught up over the weekend. So far, I'll be honest, there are way too many variable floating around for me to have any sense of how anything ties together, but at least there is some tangential links, even down to the grocery supply poo poo.

I didn't watch the sneak peak for tonight's ep, but I can't wait for pieces to start fitting together.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

THE TWIST

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I kind of figured something was up when Rafael was sketching Brooks' car while he was sitting in the jail cell

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
So glad Katherine Waterston is in this.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ultimately I don't think the Gallardos actually killed him but yeah it was becoming clear this episode that they have been lying. I wouldn't be surprised if Rafael at least actually did ransack the dead guy's pockets, which is where he got the coin.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The hateful radio broadcaster was really distracting for me. "Mr. Panucci/Jake the Dog/Marcus Fenix, no! You shouldn't say such things!"

Laterite posted:

I kind of figured something was up when Rafael was sketching Brooks' car while he was sitting in the jail cell

That was a definite "Uh...huh. Weird coincidence..." moment, until it suddenly wasn't. But yeah, even with this wrinkle I have to feel like the truth of the matter is going to be even more complicated.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

JethroMcB posted:

The hateful radio broadcaster was really distracting for me. "Mr. Panucci/Jake the Dog/Marcus Fenix, no! You shouldn't say such things!"

I saw John DiMaggio in the credits and was like, “Huh, who was he playing?” Then I rewatched the radio scene and it couldn’t have been more obviously lol

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
This season is going great. Perry Mason having innocent clients who lie to him and did some suspicious poo poo that makes them look guilty is on-brand, and it was handled nicely here.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The rent a gun guy, not a great business plan renting out 5 guns to one dude. A guy who needs 5 guns is a guy who is most likely not coming back.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Got a theory for the case The Gallardos held up baseball-boy for his billfold and coin but were scared off by Dad's muscle, dropping their pistol. Ultimately pops has son killed and leaves the gun, setting up his patsy

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JethroMcB posted:

He also had a small role on the recent Interview with the Vampire TV series where he played a racist alderman in New Orleans.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Grip it and rip it posted:

Got a theory for the case The Gallardos held up baseball-boy for his billfold and coin but were scared off by Dad's muscle, dropping their pistol. Ultimately pops has son killed and leaves the gun, setting up his patsy

That would explain everything we've seen so far except how the rent-a-gun gets back to gun rental guy. If it was found at a murder scene the cops are presumably keeping it, and it'd be a stretch to think either cops or muscle would recognize his 'stock' to return it even though that would, if things broke right, help the frame.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
After last episode's revelation, I had two suspicions: Either one Gallardo wasn't being truthful with Perry OR his brother...or this wasn't a random stick-up gone wrong and they were hiding a whole lot more than just "Yeah, we shot the guy." Looks like I whiffed on the former but nailed the latter.

Meanwhile:

JethroMcB posted:

Recognizable talent in a seemingly inconsequential supporting role? She's definitely sleeping with Perry by the end of the season. (Doubly so since she's playing a teacher; brooding TV drama characters love to get messily involved with their kids' teachers.)

I told you! I called the most obvious plot development possible! (Though it really just got me thinking about "Person comes to my door when I'm in the middle of a bender, sees me at my lowest and accepts a proposition without hesitation." Now that is some poo poo that only happens on TV.)

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Another good episode and did a good job of moving things forward. I'm curious to see how the final scene plays out given the revelations so far. Also, Phillipe's is the superior french dip.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Christ, the set, sound and costume design is just stunning. It really just sucks you into the era without turning it into mindless escapism.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

This is probably a better question for AI, but what kind of car was Anita's little roadster? It was amazing.
I was thinking an Auburn Speedster, but I didn't see the exhaust pipes coming out of the side of the car.

Edit: Per AI, I was right it's an Auburn, they changed out the side panels apparently.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/auburnspeedster/27171766408/in/photostream/lightbox/

Rental Sting posted:

Everyone got laid this episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NofDnJldrE

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 29, 2023

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Everyone got laid this episode.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Oh drat that is a hell of a turn. Really loving good episode. drat I hope people are watching this because its so loving good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So the pile of cash and the fact the brothers were doing target practice sure makes it look like they were doing a hit.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

So the pile of cash and the fact the brothers were doing target practice sure makes it look like they were doing a hit.

Or at least trying to intimidate him. If they had advance notice that they were gonna be knocking him off you'd think they might manage to do it a bit cleaner.

Course I've been wrong at every turn up to now so maybe not...

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

JethroMcB posted:

After last episode's revelation, I had two suspicions: Either one Gallardo wasn't being truthful with Perry OR his brother...or this wasn't a random stick-up gone wrong and they were hiding a whole lot more than just "Yeah, we shot the guy." Looks like I whiffed on the former but nailed the latter.

Meanwhile:

I told you! I called the most obvious plot development possible! (Though it really just got me thinking about "Person comes to my door when I'm in the middle of a bender, sees me at my lowest and accepts a proposition without hesitation." Now that is some poo poo that only happens on TV.)

I’m worried she might be a honey pot set up to tarnish Mason’s reputation “lookit this lawyer, seducing the teacher of his son! What scummy character!” sort of thing.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Yeah my theory now is that they were put up to it, perhaps by Sinister Dad after his son defied him like that.

Presumably the 'justice' Perry will now be after is gonna be the person truly responsible for the killing.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

evenworse username posted:

Yeah my theory now is that they were put up to it, perhaps by Sinister Dad after his son defied him like that.

Presumably the 'justice' Perry will now be after is gonna be the person truly responsible for the killing.

I'm thinking that the endgame of the season is that Perry manages to give the DA's office what they need to prosecute the big, flashy organized crime conspiracy that Sinister Dad is clearly in on (Maybe we finally get the old "Perry convinces the real criminal to incriminate themselves on the stand" bit.) The Gallardos aren't exonerated, but he convinces Burger to drop the death penalty for their cooperation and they wind up with like 30 years and the possibility of parole.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

JethroMcB posted:

I'm thinking that the endgame of the season is that Perry manages to give the DA's office what they need to prosecute the big, flashy organized crime conspiracy that Sinister Dad is clearly in on (Maybe we finally get the old "Perry convinces the real criminal to incriminate themselves on the stand" bit.) The Gallardos aren't exonerated, but he convinces Burger to drop the death penalty for their cooperation and they wind up with like 30 years and the possibility of parole.

Yeah, I think it will be this minus Burger going after the upper crust. Perry will provide evidence that is used to get his clients a reduced sentence but Burger refuses to go after those actually responsible, citing the difficulty of doing so or some aspect of LA politics.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I know this is noir and everything, but holy crap this new episode got dark.

I'm loving this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

I've had a sense of dread throughout this season, and this episode certainly paid it off. Hopefully things will get better, but this Perry Noire so I expect something worse.