Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I figured they stitched the eyes open so that the kid would still appear alive from a distance? So that they'd still pay up the ransom money after seeing him from the window at Angel's Flight. Cause Ennis and Gannon and crew didn't actually mean to kill him, that was an accidental result of him nursing from a heroin addict, and they would have never paid up if Charlie was dead.

Right? I mean, surely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
yeah it was to keep his eyes open

I think it was stated at some point but maybe not

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Ooh I must have forgotten about that then, thanks.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Adnor posted:

I guess Perry throwing away the thread at the end means he doesn't care anymore about it? Still weird to have something that seemed like was going to be a big clue at the beginning not being used for anything besides having something for Perry to look at sad.

Yeah I actually really liked that touch. They set the thread up as some vital puzzle that had to be solved and like everything else Perry lets it go at the end. It wasn't the perfect everything in a bow resolution but we were never getting that out of this series.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
That thread was also just the sort of thing you expected to see dramatically matched up with a thread later as a key piece of evidence/clue to the perpetrator, so having it just not end up panning out and serving as a symbol of Perry moving on from the case was another time the show went against the common tropes of detective/noir.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Is anyone else curious as to how they'll handle the reality of depending on a black investigator in 1930's Los Angeles?

I don't mean that black people aren't or weren't smart enough to be investigators, because 1) I don't believe that to be the case; and 2) the show has clearly established that Drake's instincts and skill in this area are formidable.

But, remember, it's the mid-1930s, and Los Angeles. Part of being an effective investigator is being able to go to certain places and get information out of certain people. This is going to be an issue, probably a big one, and I wonder how well they're going to handle it.

I think it's pretty brave of the writers, keeping Drake as the main investigator. He's goinig to deal with stuff that a white investigator wouldn't. If they don't handle it perfectly, one group of critics will accuse them of rose-tinting the racist reality of the era in order to appeal to the white audience while another group will complain that they're exaggerating how awful things were back then.

Who knows? Maybe this'll turn into a Watchmen thing and we'll learn about a racially motivated massacre that more of us than want to admit have never heard of.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The case that came in at the end is straight up the case from the first Perry Mason novel, the case of the velvet claws. Even to the point of Della looking her up because she thinks it’s a fake name

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

AFewBricksShy posted:

The case that came in at the end is straight up the case from the first Perry Mason novel, the case of the velvet claws. Even to the point of Della looking her up because she thinks it’s a fake name

You mean they've already made a novelization of Perry Mason? Wow, they work quick.

I like how he said that she'd come to the right place 0.06 seconds after Della said that she could afford the retainer.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

tarlibone posted:

Is anyone else curious as to how they'll handle the reality of depending on a black investigator in 1930's Los Angeles?

I don't mean that black people aren't or weren't smart enough to be investigators, because 1) I don't believe that to be the case; and 2) the show has clearly established that Drake's instincts and skill in this area are formidable.

But, remember, it's the mid-1930s, and Los Angeles. Part of being an effective investigator is being able to go to certain places and get information out of certain people. This is going to be an issue, probably a big one, and I wonder how well they're going to handle it.

I think it's pretty brave of the writers, keeping Drake as the main investigator. He's goinig to deal with stuff that a white investigator wouldn't. If they don't handle it perfectly, one group of critics will accuse them of rose-tinting the racist reality of the era in order to appeal to the white audience while another group will complain that they're exaggerating how awful things were back then.

Who knows? Maybe this'll turn into a Watchmen thing and we'll learn about a racially motivated massacre that more of us than want to admit have never heard of.

They’ve already explicitly addressed racism a bunch of times in the show, so I doubt you’re going to see them try to hand wave it away. Drake already had a problem when Mason infiltrated the brothel and Drake was turned away. Maybe they’ll bring in a white sidekick of sorts to get into areas he can’t, or just use it as a way to make him clever enough to work around or even use racist prejudices during the investigation.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I think having Strickland move to work with Burger means they won't go with the route of having a white investigator to do stuff Drake can't, because having Strickland and Drake working together would have been the easy way to do it (I would have liked to see them interacting together tbh). I really hope they handle it well.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
It's a bit of an obvious route, but having Drake partner up with a guy who's generally an untalented sleazebag but is able to get at least some results and investigate in a lot of places Drake can't, and who basically gets by because Drake is telling him what to do/he takes credit for Drake's ideas, could be a way to go. I think there's room for a proper trash fire as at least a temporary member of team Mason, while people like Mason, Stickland, and even Drake at times are only partial trash fires.

Also no matter how much they're not completely leaning into tropes, someone on Mason's team has to get killed or hospitalized next season. Mason's clearly got adamantium ribs and a wolverine like healing factor, so my money's on Drake getting in over his head and being left for dead by some bad folks, leading to some full on hellfire and fury Mason-ing in response.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 11, 2020

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Mason: Drake, I need you to go down to--
Della: (whispers) and Redd Shirtson
Mason: ... fine. Drake, I need you and Redd Shirtson to go down to the wharf and get the skinny on that shipment of velvet claws that went missing. Someone down on the docks must know what's up. Show Redd the ropes, 'k?
Redd Shirtmann: Yes sir! Thank you so much for this opportunity! My newly wed wife just told me she's pregnant, and when I get home, I'll sign the insurance papers! I already signed the mortgage to the house we can just barely afford with my salary from this place! Oh thank you so much! My mother, who's dying in the hospital, said she'd keep fighting once she saw me make it through my first day as an actual investigator! Everyone in Littleville, Illinois is pulling for me, and that town, my hometown, sure could use a hero!!
Drake: (rolls eyes) C'mon, Shirts.
Della: I really like Redd. He's super-qualified and very excited.
Mason: Yep, he's been a great assistant these last few months. We're totally close friends now.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Bird in a Blender posted:

They’ve already explicitly addressed racism a bunch of times in the show, so I doubt you’re going to see them try to hand wave it away. Drake already had a problem when Mason infiltrated the brothel and Drake was turned away. Maybe they’ll bring in a white sidekick of sorts to get into areas he can’t, or just use it as a way to make him clever enough to work around or even use racist prejudices during the investigation.
There's also the scene when Drake goes looking for information at the hotel (ep. 6? 7?). The racism isn't nearly as explicit, but it does a pretty good job of showing Drake working around these kinds of obstacles. The white manager lady clearly isn't much help and just wants him gone as soon as possible, but he's still able to get critical information from a woman of color who works there.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Edit: ^^Yeah that too

On the flip side Drake will also have access to people and info that a white investigator never would. I'm sure they'll show how hosed up his position is with white people, but there are still other sources for information he can get to. Of course those would probably need to be corroborated to be useful in court but it's not nothing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Drake's resignation scene owned, Chris Chalk kicks rear end.

Also really like the chemistry all three showed at the end in the office, they’re gonna be a good team next season.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Has anyone here actually read any of the PM books and short stories - as opposed to probably all of us reading Hammett/Chandler and Ellroy and the likes much more "noir-ish" works?

PM is #3 all time but I wonder what is actually behind those numbers (magazine re-prints in the 1960's or something, etc).

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Keyser_Soze posted:

Has anyone here actually read any of the PM books and short stories - as opposed to probably all of us reading Hammett/Chandler and Ellroy and the likes much more "noir-ish" works?

I just read the first one, the Case of the Velvet Claws. It's pretty much paint by the numbers noir, but considering he was writing at the same time as Hammett and beat Chandler by a couple of years, I think it's just because he helped define the genre, which makes it all the more surprising that I had no idea there were Perry Mason books.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I only knew about Erle Stanley Gardner writing the books because his first name is such a common crossword answer, usually for some clue like “Perry Mason creator”. Much like I know the dog from Hammett's Nick and Nora stories is named Asta.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

AFewBricksShy posted:

I just read the first one, the Case of the Velvet Claws. It's pretty much paint by the numbers noir, but considering he was writing at the same time as Hammett and beat Chandler by a couple of years, I think it's just because he helped define the genre, which makes it all the more surprising that I had no idea there were Perry Mason books.

Gardner wasn't a particularly good writer, but he wrote fast and prolifically, and with a reliable, satisfying formula. That, plus the popularity of the Raymond Burr show, was why Mason has lingered on.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I wonder if next season will be set in Tokyo during a monster attack.

Oh No, There Goes Tokyo, Go Go Perry Mason! (Season Two)

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I really liked the double reveal about the jury deadlock. Bribing a juror is a dodgy thing to do, but it speaks to Perry's commitment to justice and his lack of confidence in himself. Following up immediately with the fact that two of the jurors had been really convinced by his arguments ensures that all the preceding court scenes were worthwhile. It was a great way to add some ambiguity to the victory without making it pointless.

The finale as a whole really sticks to partial successes. It's a great way to have some meaningfull payoffs without flattening out the gritty nature of the show.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
I feel the opposite. The bribery makes the whole thing way less worthwhile. Not because it happens, but because how easily and quickly it does.

Aengus
Apr 16, 2020
The bribery would be a fun subplot if it was given time to grow. Anything with sleuthing or lawyering would've been fun and good. If someone could steer the writers away from desperately trying again and again to plumb the depths of sad drunk and angry mason being forgiven by his friends they would've had something.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I must have missed it. Was the cash Ennis and Holcombe the 100k they stole from the ransom money? How did Holcombe end up getting claim to it, and why was some other random guy holding on to it, and why does he end up murking Ennis? Too sloppy at being dirty and too likely to bring him down? After their little talk earlier it seemed clear that Ennis was new to the corrupt cop thing and took pointers from Holcombe. Everything else about the finale made sense to me except tha.

Tatiana Maslany continues to be incredible.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ennis had done nothing but gently caress up and then gently caress up again when he was covering for his previous gently caress ups. And Holcombe knew that he wouldn't be able to convincingly lie if he was ever put on a stand. He had to be done.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

I must have missed it. Was the cash Ennis and Holcombe the 100k they stole from the ransom money? How did Holcombe end up getting claim to it, and why was some other random guy holding on to it, and why does he end up murking Ennis? Too sloppy at being dirty and too likely to bring him down? After their little talk earlier it seemed clear that Ennis was new to the corrupt cop thing and took pointers from Holcombe. Everything else about the finale made sense to me except tha.

Tatiana Maslany continues to be incredible.

That was a completely different deal they had with that gangster. The 100k was mostly given to the church, minus some expenses. The Holcombe thing was most likely that Ennis got too close to being caught and also even he might have some scruples about a dead baby.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Just started episode one again to get my mom into it, and noticed some things:

-the kidnapper on the phone (not polish, presumably George Gannon) tells Emily’s husband “DON’T talk to your wife that way”

-The estate ennis dies at is the rich illegitimate dad’s, where eb first takes the case and said dad mentions he doesn’t trust the LAPD to do their job right

-when Perry first gets home and checks his mail the THIRD NOTICE envelope is from the county clerk

-baby Charlie likes turtles

Definitely wanna do a full rewatch now and see how much they hid like that

Rugikiki fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 31, 2020

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

tarlibone posted:

I hate myself for this, but...

boom chikka wah wah

.... sorry.

Seriously, given the short amount of time on-screen that they had to develop it, they have really crafted great working and personal relationships for Della and Perry. And, they not only avoided inserting sexual tension between them, but by taking the road less traveled, character- and plot-wise, they have precluded it from ever arising. There will be no Moonlighting-style "will they or won't they?" crap here.

Mm. Because of the period, she has to marry Burger. When she does, there’s a genuine conflict of interest there.

tarlibone posted:

Yes and no. People respond to authority without 100% taking into account the social background of the person exercising that authority. The show even displayed that, with Drake thoughtfully telling Mason that Drake’s police badge reversed the normal racial hierarchy as he beat the poo poo out of him in S1.

“I’m an investigator working for a lawyer” is a kind of authority. Drake doesn’t need to be white, he gets whiteness from working for a verified lawyer.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Then again, Drake is unable to enter certain areas like white neighbourhoods and the brothel. And when he tells the white cop at the beach that he's also a cop it counts for nothing. Drake was basically able to beat up Mason because he isn't as racist as the rest of society.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

Then again, Drake is unable to enter certain areas like white neighbourhoods and the brothel. And when he tells the white cop at the beach that he's also a cop it counts for nothing. Drake was basically able to beat up Mason because he isn't as racist as the rest of society.

Right. Also, Drake outright says that he's not even allowed to cuff a white person. I can't remember exactly which example he gave, but I think it was along the lines of, "I can't even cuff a white murderer." A white officer would have to come and do that.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

How dark and brutal is this show compared to say, True Detective S3? I’m in the mood for noir but I’ve heard this show gets pretty violent and grim which might be a little too far.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I just want to note that this show went from interesting to goddamn boring the minute they made me remember the Perry Mason TV show in the last couple episodes. Gardner wrote some great noirs, but it was this milqtoast pap that made him rich.

Not gonna bother with season two. Unless I guess my wife wants to watch it.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Season 2 started last night.

Haven't watched it yet though.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
It's great. My wife and I watched it last night.

It looks like a major plot point throughout the season might be a historical event that isn't an obscure religious, almost cult-like movement. But it's a movement alright: moving a baseball team to Los Angeles. There is an in-universe celebrity appearance by a St. Louis Cardinals player, which is neat because at the time, the Cardinals were the westernmost and southernmost team in the major leagues.

It is nice catching up with these characters.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

We're off to a good start for more Emperor Belos Does Law While Depressed! The old guy did it had it done is jammed so hard in our face I figure it has to be a misdirect at this point.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I noticed this thread show up and had no idea whatsoever the new season started. For this knowledge, I am thankful. Can't wait to dive back into the avatar of misery that is Matthew Rhys' take on Perry Mason. Hell yeah.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

They've got a new writing team this year - same folks that did Cinemax's The Knick.

Its set a decade after this, but the Easy Rawlins book series has a black PI as the lead. Good stuff if you're a fan of noir with a more modern-ish spin

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Narcissus1916 posted:

They've got a new writing team this year - same folks that did Cinemax's The Knick.

Its set a decade after this, but the Easy Rawlins book series has a black PI as the lead. Good stuff if you're a fan of noir with a more modern-ish spin

Devil In A Blue Dress is a seriously underrated movie.

Anyway, very glad this show is back. I thought this premiere was stronger than Season 1's.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Can someone tell me who is playing the judge? (From the preview) I can’t place him and he looks so drat familiar.

Edit: 99% sure it’s this guy:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0023885/

Really looking forward to this season. Mason and Berger’s little back and forth in the club was amazing.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nate Mooney playing the opposing counsel was kind of funny because I'll never see him as anything but a McPoyle.