Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
E.B.'s disintegration from the confident, snappy, apparently successful figure we met in Ep 1 to the abject mess we saw in this last one has been really well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Man that moment where Perry starts arguing the case in the kitchen and Della's lightbulb goes on was really well done.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I don't know how this show made me sad that Perry lost his comically awful 'farm' when it was incredibly obvious that was going to happen from ep 1 and yet they did

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Adnor posted:

I guess Perry throwing away the thread at the end means he doesn't care anymore about it? Still weird to have something that seemed like was going to be a big clue at the beginning not being used for anything besides having something for Perry to look at sad.

Yeah I actually really liked that touch. They set the thread up as some vital puzzle that had to be solved and like everything else Perry lets it go at the end. It wasn't the perfect everything in a bow resolution but we were never getting that out of this series.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Yeah that was a good first ep. Obviously Perry has to be riven with gloom or it's not the show. I'm looking forward to seeing exactly what persuades him to get back to criminal law.

Somewhere in Valhalla, Perry can also be miserable about not getting in on the ground floor of Cabo san Lucas.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I will also say that I appreciated very much that they introduced a character who practically had a 'THIS SEASON'S VILLAIN' neon sign flashing above his head and then went with well actually he's been shot in the eye. I'm not sure how Mason is going to get drawn into the picture yet, but I give them points for the early move.

They went a bit heavy with contrasting Perry's terrible need to believe in justice with the civil law he's actually doing but when you're in as bleak a landscape as this show travels around in, if you want to make something look bad you need to bring it a bit.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Enjoyed ep 2. Obviously we can't see all the pieces of this yet but it's an interesting tangle and I appreciate that despite the grimness of, well, everything, at the core you have characters who want to do something right, however reluctantly.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Grip it and rip it posted:

Got a theory for the case The Gallardos held up baseball-boy for his billfold and coin but were scared off by Dad's muscle, dropping their pistol. Ultimately pops has son killed and leaves the gun, setting up his patsy

That would explain everything we've seen so far except how the rent-a-gun gets back to gun rental guy. If it was found at a murder scene the cops are presumably keeping it, and it'd be a stretch to think either cops or muscle would recognize his 'stock' to return it even though that would, if things broke right, help the frame.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

muscles like this! posted:

So the pile of cash and the fact the brothers were doing target practice sure makes it look like they were doing a hit.

Yeah my theory now is that they were put up to it, perhaps by Sinister Dad after his son defied him like that.

Presumably the 'justice' Perry will now be after is gonna be the person truly responsible for the killing.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm a little rusty on Pete's reason for leaving Perry to work for the DA. I know they talked about it in the S1 finale, and I think it was that he didn't want to keep doing underhand stuff, like Perry getting him to pay off a juror.

My memory there was a combination of him being pissy that Perry was giving investigative work to Paul and then the DA offering a position that let him feel like a big wheel, at least for a while.

It feels like it's too late to starting pulling on a thread of 'if the Gallardos did the murder for money, who paid them' that seemed so logical before but maybe that's still where we're going. Really enjoying the ride again; Perry's paranoid meltdown was spectacular.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I really enjoyed that. In retrospect it seems obvious that Camilla was going to work out to be more than just a friendly mentor for Della but I feel like they had enough smoke out there (the gambling boats didn't actually end up being important, the baseball team didn't actually end up being important) that it wasn't screaming in your face.

I definitely hope we get at least one more season seeing Perry dealing with being out of jail (is he disbarred now?) but I this is definitely a show where I'd prefer them to stop while they're still telling stories this good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Cancelled, alas.

I suppose I'm not super surprised because it must be pretty expensive to make but I was really hoping for one more season.