Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I’ve been silently watching and enjoying this show and I’d also agree that it’s gotten better as it’s gone on.

I’m a casual fan of noire which is what drew me to it, and while this show hits all the notes of a classic noire story, I think the fact that it’s set in the 30’s instead of the 40’s is throwing me off a little. Is that normal for the genre? Everything I’m familiar with is set in the mid-to-late 40’s and the detectives are dealing with WWII shell shock, and here they seem to have just substituted that out for WWI. Which I guess is fine? It’s still a hoot to watch this miserable old alcoholic with his heart in the right place bumble his way towards justice.

And god bless Shea Whigham, if you told me he was a time traveler I’d believe it. He just blends seamlessly into any time period as a likeable (or pitiable) mook and he’s suburb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Bird in a Blender posted:

Does Shea play someone who isn’t a cop or former cop? Boardwalk, Fargo, joker, and now this.

There was also that Julia Roberts series on Amazon Prime Video called Homecoming. He plays a pencil-pushing auditor for the DoD.

So even when he’s not a cop, he’s still basically a cop lol

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

BigglesSWE posted:

The show made me feel genuine concern that i would not see Pete again, when it’s obvious that they’d never throw away Shea like that.

I swear, if Shea Whigham ever gave me the stinky eye, I’d probably get a heart attack on the spot. He has an incredible actor’s face, and I love to see him get work.

Yeah totally. On second thought it makes way more sense to keep him around so he can fulfill all the shady private dick work promised by the noir setting of this show. Hopefully in S2 Pete will do all of the muck-rolling unbecoming of a high profile defense attorney such as Perry Mason.

HBO PLEASE DO NOT READ THIS AND GO SUBVERTING EXPECTATIONS :ohdear: