Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Hahaha I was sure they were going to say that Perry had gone to law school before the war but didn't do the bar exam or that he was a lawyer but didn't practice for the same reason he was discharged from the military, didn't expect them to go "gently caress it, it's 1932, just go do the exam".

Having Burger help him cheat on the exam is just the icing of the cake, it's bullshit but I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Retrowave Joe posted:

Show got renewed for season 2!

That's cool, I imagine when he wins this case he's going to get a ton of publicity and be hired for more high-profile cases so it's going to be interesting how he actually needs to learn how to do the profession.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Loved this episode, I'm glad that they did the court scenes well.

I still don't get why they used the Perry Mason license for this show, because it really doesn't feel like Perry Mason, but these court scenes shows that they care.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Mirage posted:

I think by the end it'll feel very much like Perry Mason, which is kind of the point of an origin story like this.

We just need to get Barnes out, Burger in, and Drake in the right spot (which I hope to hell won't involve killing either/both Strickland or Drake's wife), and all the checkboxes are filled.

I think it's the tone what makes it feel the least like Perry Mason, it's too dark, but I guess that's because of being a noir series. But again, I'm enjoying the show, especially these last two episodes, so no complaints there!

And yeah, hopefully they dont kill Strickland or Drake's wife, I want to see Strickland and Drake interacting with each other during investigation, but I honestly can't see Strickland surviving this season, especially after Holcomb told Ennis to kill anyone who can point him out.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Yeah for a minute I thougth Holcomb was going to do the right thing when he went to speak with Ennis, but then at the end of the conversation he clearly shows he's as bad as him.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Yeah the baby they killed is clearly Charlie, they just were the most incompetent, stupid kidnappers and accidentally killed the baby in one of the most horrible ways, goddamn, the revelation of why the baby suffocated made a knot in my stomach.

Agree with Nowon, it was really nice to see the previous accountant revealing everything, also really liked Perry's interrogation to the grandfather, he's clearly getting better at this, can't wait for him to break Ennis on the stand, to have the classic Perry Mason manouver of having the true culprit confess.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

For what I understand (but I'm super dumb so I'm sure I'm wrong) is that the Baby Resurrection scheme and the Baby Murder are by two different grouos.

The kidnappers, which includes Ennis, Seidel, that accountant and others, kidnapped the baby for the 100,000 USD ransom money, but were so dumb they didn't really plan it besides "take baby, get money", so they forgot something as basic as, well, the baby's food. So Ennis got the brilliant idea of going to the brothel because he knows they have lactating women there, got one but the baby suffocated because of it. The baby's death was 100% an accident, they only wanted the money, not to kill the baby. The thread on the eyes is just because Ennis is a piece of poo poo.

Then another group, which has Sister Alice's mom and who knows who else, tries to save the church after Alice's fit talking about resurrection, steals a baby from who knows where (orphanage or something) and put it there for the Sunday resurrection, taking Charlie out of the coffin first (at least they were smart enough to know not to put the new baby in that closed box or we'd have suffocated baby number 2). Alice is clearly not in that group , and the new baby scheme was a blitz chess move because what other option do they have after Alice would continue to talk about resurrection.

But again, I'm dumb so I might be wrong :v:

Adnor fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 3, 2020

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

BigglesSWE posted:

Was the eye-stitching thing ever explained? That's the only thing missing for me.

It was the one thing they never found out, I think it was just Ennis being a horrible human being, but it was never explained why and where the thread came from.

I guess Perry throwing away the thread at the end means he doesn't care anymore about it? Still weird to have something that seemed like was going to be a big clue at the beginning not being used for anything besides having something for Perry to look at sad.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Ooh I must have forgotten about that then, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I think having Strickland move to work with Burger means they won't go with the route of having a white investigator to do stuff Drake can't, because having Strickland and Drake working together would have been the easy way to do it (I would have liked to see them interacting together tbh). I really hope they handle it well.