Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Normally, I eschew grimdark remakes of old TV shows, but I think the noir style and immersive art design make this enjoyable. I'm loving it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I think it's the noir that saves it from grimdark. Without those elements, it's grim. And dark.

Mainly, though, I'm waiting for them to come up with a way to have someone ask, "Who can we get on the case?" To which someone yells, "We need Per-ry Ma-son...." And I want this because I'm a tremendous dummy.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Shea Wingham continues to be the poor man's Christian Bale.

Perry Mason slaps raw rear end and three episodes deep, is on-par with some of David Simon's work.

I kinda hope Perry stays a PI and never steps into E.B.'s shoes. I could watch him solve little Chinatowns for a hundred years.

And I kinda hoped Anakin would tell Palpatine to go gently caress himself so he could become a powerful Jedi, stop the Empire from happening, and raise his kids in peace with love, the Force, and very, very little sand. (Anakin is not overfond of sand.)

We know where this is ending. At best, we can hope for an alternate universe where Perry keeps being this version of Perry. Although, I mean, it's not like Counselor Perry, Esquire was a bad guy. The only times his clients were guilty was when they actually ended up being not guilty after all.

So, what's up with EB, anyway? Mrs. Tarlibone and I both think that it's early dementia, and that if Perry doesn't suspect it, EB's Gal Friday probably does. I'm not 100% sure about that, because he was bleeding into the sink, presumably from somewhere on/in his head. So, maybe Cancer of the Television Noggin, which conveniently has subtle but noticeable neurological symptoms combined with untimely head bleeding?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Perry Mason: Dreamland

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
So we have a cult-like church taking people's money, trying to spread their super-important word around the world, and oh yeah, they're mostly in naval-themed costume.

I mean... c'mon. C'mon, people.

Am I crazy for thinking that they're basing this part of the show on the study of scients?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Great episode. A lot of neat stuff in here. And the show just dealt a blow to the sexual mores of the time (and to a lesser degree, our time) when Della Street got outed as not the man in charge, but the woman who knows what's going on, at the office.

I thought that EB was going to commit suicide by hanging. Something about dragging the chair into a room... you know, stand on the chair, rope around the neck, knock the chair over or kick it away, and dead.

But, an impromptu gas chamber? Actually, nice, and period-correct. It wasn't until a school exploded in Texas in 1937 that the US started to regulate the use of odorants in natural gas, so EB would really just sit there and fade out to his favorite show, "Hummingbirds."

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I haven't seen reruns of the old TV show since I was a kid, but I get the feeling that people who love the show probably know who Lemon Tea Esq. is? Seems like a really obvious reference to something I just don't get.

But more importantly... Perry Mason's legal education? Pshaw. He straight-up Kim Kardashianed his way onto the bar.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

So who died this episode

Innocence.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm hoping he turns up as a completely different character and no-one bats an eyelid

I don't know, I kind of hope he shows up as the twin brother, but he asks everybody if he can just take over his brother's job. And, he asks everybody to call him by his brother's name, you know, in tribute to his brother.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
And so ADA Hamm Burger (I think that's his name) is also gay, and he and Della know each other's secrets. I wonder if that is one of the reasons that he was happy to help Perry pass his bar exam?

Sure, ambition for the boss's office is a decent reason, but in the process of helping Mason, Burger gave Mason some potential blackmail ammo for future use. That seemed like a plot hole to me. However, with Della being a close friend who Burger trusts with a secret about him that would totally ruin him were it to get out, his motivation seems to make a little more sense, plot-wise. At least, it does to me.

I'm not suggesting that Della blackmailed Burger, as that doesn't seem to be their relationship. And I don't think Burger is afraid that she will. This just explains why Burger was willing to do this huge of a favor for Della, who by all outward appearances should to him be just a random secretary for an opposing law firm.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I hate myself for this, but...

Codependent Poster posted:

Anytime they cut to Della smiling, you know Perry has just nailed something.

boom chikka wah wah

.... sorry.

Seriously, given the short amount of time on-screen that they had to develop it, they have really crafted great working and personal relationships for Della and Perry. And, they not only avoided inserting sexual tension between them, but by taking the road less traveled, character- and plot-wise, they have precluded it from ever arising. There will be no Moonlighting-style "will they or won't they?" crap here.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

SoR Blaze posted:

Charlie Dodson sure won't

I see what you did there, despite your attempt to hide the joke. But you can't hide it from me. My eyes are wide open.

I got them Charlie Dodson eyes.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

honestly I was expecting after Holcomb's line that "they'll find your rat-chewed corpse in the sewers" that they'd end up finding Seidel's body and being able to link it to Ennis

I made this exact assumption. I even turned to my wife and said, "That's the clue that solves the whole thing." And I'm not going to admit that I was wrong because who knows? It might come up next season.

Taintrunner posted:

Yeah, that was great noir-rear end noir. Nailed the mood, and I'm absolutely thrilled to see what comes next.

edit: the audio editing on that first trailer is just loving incredible, watching the finale now. just fuckin' incredible.

edit2: that vintage theme at the end. jesus christ. these fuckers nailed it so hard

Just imagine that this portion of the post is an empty quote, especially in regards to the note about the vintage theme at the end. I loved it.

NowonSA posted:

Kudos to the show, I really didn't see Mason's one last move coming at all. I also rather liked how right when they were building up to the big Perry Mason interrogation they faked us out by having it be a fantasy scene.

I would have liked Mason to hammer home his alternate theory for the crime and how that created reasonable doubt in his closing, but hell after the DA was using poor emotion clearly just using emotion as well wasn't a bad idea.

I also liked this. Sometimes, these fake-out dream sequences feel like cheats, but this one didn't. And, having Burger interrupt it while it's in progress was a great way to break the illusion. That being said, it was nice to see Proto Mason tear into a lying witness, trying to get him to break on the stand. Maybe it was a way to sneak some fan service in, but I don't care. It was great.

i really enjoyed the hell out of this series. And seriously, I don't think I knew it existed until I happened to catch a trailer for the show about a week before it started. Maybe sooner, maybe not, but I had no idea this was happening until it was happening. I'm glad I gave it a chance.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Is anyone else curious as to how they'll handle the reality of depending on a black investigator in 1930's Los Angeles?

I don't mean that black people aren't or weren't smart enough to be investigators, because 1) I don't believe that to be the case; and 2) the show has clearly established that Drake's instincts and skill in this area are formidable.

But, remember, it's the mid-1930s, and Los Angeles. Part of being an effective investigator is being able to go to certain places and get information out of certain people. This is going to be an issue, probably a big one, and I wonder how well they're going to handle it.

I think it's pretty brave of the writers, keeping Drake as the main investigator. He's goinig to deal with stuff that a white investigator wouldn't. If they don't handle it perfectly, one group of critics will accuse them of rose-tinting the racist reality of the era in order to appeal to the white audience while another group will complain that they're exaggerating how awful things were back then.

Who knows? Maybe this'll turn into a Watchmen thing and we'll learn about a racially motivated massacre that more of us than want to admit have never heard of.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

AFewBricksShy posted:

The case that came in at the end is straight up the case from the first Perry Mason novel, the case of the velvet claws. Even to the point of Della looking her up because she thinks it’s a fake name

You mean they've already made a novelization of Perry Mason? Wow, they work quick.

I like how he said that she'd come to the right place 0.06 seconds after Della said that she could afford the retainer.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Mason: Drake, I need you to go down to--
Della: (whispers) and Redd Shirtson
Mason: ... fine. Drake, I need you and Redd Shirtson to go down to the wharf and get the skinny on that shipment of velvet claws that went missing. Someone down on the docks must know what's up. Show Redd the ropes, 'k?
Redd Shirtmann: Yes sir! Thank you so much for this opportunity! My newly wed wife just told me she's pregnant, and when I get home, I'll sign the insurance papers! I already signed the mortgage to the house we can just barely afford with my salary from this place! Oh thank you so much! My mother, who's dying in the hospital, said she'd keep fighting once she saw me make it through my first day as an actual investigator! Everyone in Littleville, Illinois is pulling for me, and that town, my hometown, sure could use a hero!!
Drake: (rolls eyes) C'mon, Shirts.
Della: I really like Redd. He's super-qualified and very excited.
Mason: Yep, he's been a great assistant these last few months. We're totally close friends now.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I wonder if next season will be set in Tokyo during a monster attack.

Oh No, There Goes Tokyo, Go Go Perry Mason! (Season Two)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

Then again, Drake is unable to enter certain areas like white neighbourhoods and the brothel. And when he tells the white cop at the beach that he's also a cop it counts for nothing. Drake was basically able to beat up Mason because he isn't as racist as the rest of society.

Right. Also, Drake outright says that he's not even allowed to cuff a white person. I can't remember exactly which example he gave, but I think it was along the lines of, "I can't even cuff a white murderer." A white officer would have to come and do that.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
It's great. My wife and I watched it last night.

It looks like a major plot point throughout the season might be a historical event that isn't an obscure religious, almost cult-like movement. But it's a movement alright: moving a baseball team to Los Angeles. There is an in-universe celebrity appearance by a St. Louis Cardinals player, which is neat because at the time, the Cardinals were the westernmost and southernmost team in the major leagues.

It is nice catching up with these characters.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
This season is going great. Perry Mason having innocent clients who lie to him and did some suspicious poo poo that makes them look guilty is on-brand, and it was handled nicely here.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I know this is noir and everything, but holy crap this new episode got dark.

I'm loving this season.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

BigglesSWE posted:

Love it. Really nice to see Perry do some good lawyering and sleuthing.

The very thing at the end, that was a threat of some kind I guess?

Yeah. A message: I know where you live, and I can get into your house any time I want.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I loved this episode... except for the part when Perry immediately believed Mrs. Teacherlady betrayed him, especially since he knows that lockpicking is a thing. I know they half-assed set it up, but it's still contrived. This is noir, dammit, not soap opera!

Still, though, that's the only thing I didn't like. Everything else is just so good.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I really liked how every episode had stuff moving along, and while the finale wasn't as climactic as some people may have wanted, I thought it was perfect. Some puzzle pieces still had to be presented and slid into place, but there wasn't a wild bit of nonsense invented just to make 99% of the audience wrong about where they thought things were going, like suddenly introducing someone who's been an extra in the background shots all along, except he's a big bad named Rollo Tomasi, a notorious gangster who is actually responsible for the whole thing.

Mainly, though, there wasn't much that had to happen in this episode. What needed to happen did, and it was the right amount of stuff. If anyone wonders what I mean by any of that, watch any season of Star Trek: Discovery, in particular, the most recent season. My loving God, so much happens for 8 episodes that the last couple or few (it's hard to keep count) have to handle about 8 episodes' worth of action, and it's paced about as well as you'd expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Honestly, I'm surprised we got two seasons.

The show was too good for this world.