Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Perry Mason is a soft reboot slash prequel of the ancient Perry Mason defense attorney drama, now featuring Perry's early days as a private dick in 1930's Hollywood, available on HBO. If you're a fan of LA Noire, or Mickey Spillane novels, then this is absolutely the series for you. Starring Matthew Rhys from The Americans (apparently people loved this show, I never saw too much of it) as the titular Perry, he plays a low-rent divorced busybody who ends up getting wrapped up in a conspiracy centered around a kidnapping gone wrong, while struggling to hold onto his family farm and coping with the memories of his time fighting in some of the most brutal battles of The Great War. Here's a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNATvJMPZaA

So for now they've said this is a miniseries, but it could turn into something more, especially with the hugely positive reception it's gotten so far. There's two episodes out now, the first one is free on Youtube in it's entirety - :nws: warning for nudity and stuff I won't spoil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGn2tLaYgdc

I like this show a lot so far - the acting is great, they've put together an amazing cast including John Lithgow and loving Robert Patrick of all people. The real star is the aesthetics - the cinematography beats most movies, the set dressing is fantastic, and the music is just perfect - all together it's like catnip, especially for someone like me who grew up reading Mickey Spillane, playing LA Noire, and watching A Nero Wolfe Mystery. They've barely set up the story so far just one episode in, so it definitely feels like a slow burner this time around, but there's all your classic noir favorites - corrupt studio executives, a horrific tragedy with layers of conspiracy and betrayal baked in, a church with a wild pastor, and a divorced detective gently caress-up struggling to put his life together.

I've never made a TV/IV thread before so my apologies if this is a little thin for an OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh wow, this second episode... absolutely bonechilling. It's impressive how gnarly they've gotten, with some fantastic flashbacks to WW1 and the gore.

The sermon at the end too rocked, and it only gets wilder after that. You get a lot more John Lithgow than I was expecting! He's a hoot.

For what's only an 8 episode run, it's incredible what they've accomplished so far.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just finished the third episode. Hot drat. The pace ripped like a machinegun this time around, it's amazing what a full hour can do for a show like this. Lithgow seriously stole the show again, that dueling monologue opening bit was phenomenal.

Also nice to see we're in real noir territory, they've started talking about land deals.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know if it's necessarily grimdark, it certainly sprinkles in some gruesome scenes here and there for shock, but they seem to be weighted appropriately, or at least like with the last episode, contrasted appropriately with a little bit of comedy.

So my theory so far is the real baby is still alive and was swapped out for an orphan baby, and the priest woman is going to "resurrect" baby charlie dodson as a PR stunt in order to raise money for the church's new town project, and this was their entire conspiracy all along, and they roped the wife into it to hire the goons to kidnap the baby, then turned one of them and killed the others in order to cover up the evidence, as we saw by the fake suicide with the misplaced dentures

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

False posted:

Was bored to death during the first episode, just bored during the second, will give it one more. The actors, acting, sets, etc. are amazing but the pacing and plotting are slow and generally not great. Really want to like it though.

It's not like other shows. Hell I already predicted the mainline plot of the season in an earlier post, I think, but. Could be wrong!

This is a show focused on characters, visuals, and aesthetics, and jesus gently caress, they're so loving nailing it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh I dunno, executing his own men point blank was something else

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goddamn, late to the party, but for the halfway mark of the season, talk about a loving brutal midpoint. What astounds me is how incredibly tight they've set this up from the beginning, rewatching the first trailer, and having some guess of what comes next.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow. I did not expect that last episode to wind up how it did. That confrontation in EB's office should be scene of the year, honestly. Jesus gently caress, was that cathartic.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus gently caress. Talk about a goddamn cliffhanger. Incredible episode, you really feel like it's all on the line here.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The guy playing the DA is a loving incredible villain. I’m honestly blown away how well he did this last episode, you really come to hate that fucker.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fantastic episode, can't wait for the finale. Mason sticking it to the DA was incredible. Are we sure the brothel baby wasn't the one from the beginning of the show, and Charlie's been alive this entire time? Because I thought that's what was made clear this episode. Maybe I missed something.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Charlie's alive, the mom gets off, and Perry crucifies the co-conspirators in his closing for killing an innocent baby in order to perform a ridiculous stunt to raise money for the church and their land development.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My understanding is the brothel baby was always intended to be the dead baby, and Charlie was kept safe out of the spotlight until it was time for resurrection. And then they made said "resurrection" happen, and now they can rake in the money and build their weird little religious commune or whatever. Also you gotta remember, they're $100k in debt, and the ransom was to fleece the T-1000 whose illegitimate son was just taken. Basically they went double dipping.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 3, 2020

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Julio Cruz posted:

so they murdered not-Charlie by, er, paying/forcing a heroin-addicted lactating sex worker to go to a hotel in the middle of nowhere and breastfeed him so he'd suffocate? does that seem at all likely as a plan to you?

I think the baby was already the sex worker's kid, so she didn't have to be forced into doing it.

I could be wrong about this two babies theory, buuuut it sorta makes sense with this whole church resurrection conspiracy thing.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Julio Cruz posted:

e: ^yeah that's basically my read on it. the church elders were trying their hardest to go back on the resurrection thing until it became clear that Sister Alice was going to keep on with it whatever, at which point they said "ok gently caress it" and pivoted into making it happen as well as they could manage

then why are they hiding out at a hotel in the middle of nowhere? why isn't the sex worker just living with her baby in the place where she lives?

and why did the Dodsons not only not notice that the dead baby wasn't Charlie, but didn't even notice that it was a different race?

this is a loving stretch, OP

Yeah, Im starting to think you’re right and I’m just getting confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, that was great noir-rear end noir. Nailed the mood, and I'm absolutely thrilled to see what comes next.

edit: the audio editing on that first trailer is just loving incredible, watching the finale now. just fuckin' incredible.

edit2: that vintage theme at the end. jesus christ. these fuckers nailed it so hard

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Aug 10, 2020