Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Madurai posted:

The old guy did it had it done is jammed so hard in our face I figure it has to be a misdirect at this point.

I feel the same way... though part of me hopes it IS as obvious as it seems, and the story winds up being "Rich dad killed his failson and is only doing the bare minimum to hide it." But it was probably McCutcheon's muscle who mentioned he'd put everything he had into the floundering ballpark deal.

algebra testes posted:

Also the girl from Inherent Vice surely isn't in it just for a one scene cameo.

Recognizable talent in a seemingly inconsequential supporting role? She's definitely sleeping with Perry by the end of the season. (Doubly so since she's playing a teacher; brooding TV drama characters love to get messily involved with their kids' teachers.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The hateful radio broadcaster was really distracting for me. "Mr. Panucci/Jake the Dog/Marcus Fenix, no! You shouldn't say such things!"

Laterite posted:

I kind of figured something was up when Rafael was sketching Brooks' car while he was sitting in the jail cell

That was a definite "Uh...huh. Weird coincidence..." moment, until it suddenly wasn't. But yeah, even with this wrinkle I have to feel like the truth of the matter is going to be even more complicated.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
After last episode's revelation, I had two suspicions: Either one Gallardo wasn't being truthful with Perry OR his brother...or this wasn't a random stick-up gone wrong and they were hiding a whole lot more than just "Yeah, we shot the guy." Looks like I whiffed on the former but nailed the latter.

Meanwhile:

JethroMcB posted:

Recognizable talent in a seemingly inconsequential supporting role? She's definitely sleeping with Perry by the end of the season. (Doubly so since she's playing a teacher; brooding TV drama characters love to get messily involved with their kids' teachers.)

I told you! I called the most obvious plot development possible! (Though it really just got me thinking about "Person comes to my door when I'm in the middle of a bender, sees me at my lowest and accepts a proposition without hesitation." Now that is some poo poo that only happens on TV.)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

evenworse username posted:

Yeah my theory now is that they were put up to it, perhaps by Sinister Dad after his son defied him like that.

Presumably the 'justice' Perry will now be after is gonna be the person truly responsible for the killing.

I'm thinking that the endgame of the season is that Perry manages to give the DA's office what they need to prosecute the big, flashy organized crime conspiracy that Sinister Dad is clearly in on (Maybe we finally get the old "Perry convinces the real criminal to incriminate themselves on the stand" bit.) The Gallardos aren't exonerated, but he convinces Burger to drop the death penalty for their cooperation and they wind up with like 30 years and the possibility of parole.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I assume the train set and cigarette tableau was left the same guy that was watching Della and Anita entering the lesbian speakeasy. Some McCutcheon goon trying to drive home Shady Dad's "stop looking into my boy's life or I'll start looking into yours" threat.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The episode felt a little anticlimactic - that scene with Paul losing the car (and the kid wearing Ozzie's shoes) probably should've gone before Perry's big, paranoid blow-up. In fact, now I'm not sure Paul interacted with Perry and Della at all in the episode, making his story feel even more isolated.

We keep spending time with Camilla Nygaard and I'm wondering where that thread is going - much like casting Katherine Waterston as Perry's kid's teacher, you don't cast Hope Davis as "socialite party host/oil magnate" if she's not going to be consequential in the long run.

Also, I just realized that the dude's name is "Ham Burger."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
It's hard to tell if it was sloppy writing ("We need to remind the viewer that they're sitting on evidence, we'll have the prosecutor call it out") or the character jumping to conclusions/passively admitting to planting evidence (And Perry being so immediately in "Ah poo poo ah poo poo drat drat crap poo poo" territory that it didn't even register)

I did appreciate the teacher's immediate reaction of "...the MURDER weapon?" She had presence of mind to know that's not something you should casually mention that you have, even in private.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I knew I should've said "We're spending an awful lot of time with Camilla Nygaard...and her lawyer."

The mystery was a lot more straightforward than it seemed - at least, once Imperial Japan came into play.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

AFewBricksShy posted:

How is the lawyers heroin addicted wife connected? I don’t remember what led Paul to question the kid with the orange chucks about her.

Phipps, knowing where his wife was buying heroin, went to her dealer (Ozzie) to hire a hit on McCutcheon, and Ozzie then contracted that out to the Gallardos.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Strong season, great finale. I said it last week but I was genuinely surprised by how straightforward the reveal of everything was, right down to the crime itself (I thought maybe we'd see in the flashback that the younger Gallardo actually pulled the trigger and his brother was taking the fall for him, knowing he couldn't survive 30 years in San Quentin, but no.)

Madurai posted:

it seems like a good offramp for Matthew Rhys if they're going to recast.

Why would they do that?

Deadline had a piece about the finale (released before it aired, unfortunately, so they don't get into the nitty-gritty of the ending) and Rhys was front-and-center along with two producers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Madurai posted:

He's indicated he's not open to continuing the role indefinitely.

Ahh, I missed that. In all these season finale PR interviews (a few more hit today) he seems to be very big on the idea of doing another season where the jumping off point is "Perry is now a pretty well-known defense attorney, but one who also just did a stint in prison." My read is that he doesn't want to series to lock in to the traditional, Raymond Burr version of the character, a guy who is just always pretty competent and rarely stymied by an unexpected development; he always wants the character to start on his back foot and work for the victory.

TheWevel posted:

If it gets renewed, Perry Mason should come back absolutely jacked.

Robert Downey Jr. should hook Matthew Rhys up with Marvel's personal trainers. Get him on a crazy workout plan, a hyper-personalized diet and a shitload of HGH.